MILLER signs w/ POR; Will Walsh finally make offer to Sessions?

mafra

Legend
Seems like Walsh now has to move on to plan-D (which should have been plan-A). Make an offer to Sessions & Lee already!

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Miller in Portland - Where to for Lee?

If Miller signs with Portland, then who has cap space for Lee? Lee's alternatives are diminishing. I do not see a sign and trade with a team that is going to pay Lee what he and his agent appear to believe he is worth.

I think that there is a good chance Lee may even take a one year contract and be unrestricted next year. If so, we will have some money for Sessions.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
If Miller signs with Portland, then who has cap space for Lee? Lee's alternatives are diminishing. I do not see a sign and trade with a team that is going to pay Lee what he and his agent appear to believe he is worth.

I think that there is a good chance Lee may even take a one year contract and be unrestricted next year. If so, we will have some money for Sessions.

The ideal situation would be for Nate and Lee to sign 1 year offers and still allow us to retain their Bird-Rights. If they really want to stay in New York that would be the best option for them and the Knicks. This way we could sign them again next year regardless of what our cap situation is like. We could give them money that would make them happy without worrying about the cap. Essentially we would sign them after we sign a max free-agent.

mafra

Legend
I agree. Lee really has no other options right now. Either sign for one year or take 8-mil a year (or go to Greece).

The only sign-n-trade Knicks should consider is if Boozer or Bosh are coming here.

Knicks should offer Sessions a 4-5 year deal, and give a large chunk this year (as much as cap allows) so we can keep his 2010 salary low.

clumsy

Rotation player
Honestly i love how Donnie Walsh is mad calculated at making his moves.

It's pretty gangsta to not budge on a player, especially one that we want to keep. Sure now David Lee's ego is severly bruised (as he found out no team thinks he's is worth as much as he thinks he is worth), but now he has something to prove to NY if he decides to resign for less money he intended for.

I would offer sessions between 5-8/yr through life of a 4 year deal.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Honestly i love how Donnie Walsh is mad calculated at making his moves.

It's pretty gangsta to not budge on a player, especially one that we want to keep. Sure now David Lee's ego is severly bruised (as he found out no team thinks he's is worth as much as he thinks he is worth), but now he has something to prove to NY if he decides to resign for less money he intended for.

I would offer sessions between 5-8/yr through life of a 4 year deal.

5-8mill/4years for session? lol

5mill/year yes but 8mill/year?

clumsy

Rotation player
i'm assuming that last year of his contract he will be nicer than the 1st year of his contract.

meaning his salary should increase each year.

knicksfancris

Benchwarmer
well i guess walsh is going to get get tinsley but shit i want sessions but i think jamal is a good player so let see what happends but one thing il say that i perfer jamal rather then hat priogani guy

I think Lee would be crazy to not accept $7-8 million/year. If he takes a 1 year deal and gets hurt, that's leaving a lot of guaranteed money on the table. He's got no jump shot and plays no defense. Don't get me wrong, I want him but he's got to get realistic about his value.

It seems like Walsh has been smart about Sessions. Nobody is bidding against us. I did read that the Bucks would probably match any offer at or below $3m/year. Sounds like if we offer more than that, he's ours if we want him. I have a feeling Walsh might want Tinsley though for 1 year.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Why hasn't Walsh made an offer to Sessions yet?

At this point he's got nothing to lose. I don't think the Bucks will match 5 million a year, though.

But in the interests of cap space, I'm wondering if they can structure the contract by making it backloaded so that it won't kill the 2010 cap room

CoolClyde

More Old, Less Young is the Walsh Way

Grant Hill, Jason Kidd, Bender, Tinsley... Walsh seems to be in love with all these over-the-hill players, but won't offer deals to young talented whippersnappers who could provide years of excitement with a solid Knicks core: Sessions, Lee and N8. Looks like we're going to lose out on even ATTEMPTING to get Sessions... c'mon Donnie, make an effort!!

Lee and N8 will get 1 year deals, then we'll let them walk for big bucks in 2010? I understand the Bird Rights and being allowed to go over the cap to sign them, but will team Dolan/Walsh really spend the cash to keep them? How are we going to attract FA LBJ or Wade via PLAN 2010? what will we have to offer with another 50-loss season?

If there's a plan to move Curry or Jefferies, the last of our 2010 big contracts, then let's sign the real Knicks now, N8 and DLee! What is the friggin delay? Everyone is "frustrated," waiting for something to happen!!

btw, how did Trail Blazers get away with Andre Miller anyway, did Walsh even put a deal on the table?

nixon7

Benchwarmer
What's the rush?

Aside from buying into the NY Post hype and the culture of instant gratification, what reason does Walsh have to deal in the next few weeks?

You want to make all your deals by early September so you are set with your plans going into training camp.

But between now and Labor day, the deals only get better for the Knicks as good role players become available for pennies on the dollar. A one-year deal for Lee with Larry Bird rights makes sense to both sides. You can draw a top-tier free agent next year and then sign Lee for the max, if he gets a mid-range game and learns to play defense.

You avoid locking him up at 8 million for years and years without knowing if he will continue to develop (especially defensively) or has peaked as a player. Lee gets to work on those aspects of his game, and avoids settling for less than he thinks he is worth for the next five years.

What is the rush with Sessions either? No one else is offering 4-5 million to him. With Odom and other really good players out there still unsettled, why rush into anything now?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Patience

Patience is a virtue, but like most virtues, it is also boring. I agree, however, that there should be no rush.

I find it interesting that Walsh does not make a serious run for Sessions and keeps lookng for a short term point guard. It suggests that he is willing to wait a year or two for his point guard for contending seasons and does not want to be tied down long term to Sessions. One of Flynn or Rubio will likely become available in the next year or two. CP3 is a free agent in a couple of years. Cap space will give us some flexibility.

I agree that patience is a virtue and the contracts will get cheaper as time goes on. You risk losing the guy you want by waiting -- if, in fact, the Knicks think as highly of Sessions as some fans do. If they think he can be a star, then I think $4m per is more than reasonable and relatively cheap by NBA standards. Sessions' agent is not an experienced guy either, so Donnie might just be making him sweat so his demands come down.

CoolClyde

Ram Sessions Time is Now

thank you suffering Knicks fan. you snooze, you lose talent. i hope DW will at least make an effort to get Ram Sessions. Andre Miller would have been worth 21M/3 years without screwing entire cap situation, he deserved what we offered JKidd, and been a MAJOR improvement over Duhon. 21M = Jefferies 3 yr salary. Sessions is worth 4M per, he's solid. Dan D'antoni, who coached the kid years ago, must have some pull, and know something to affect situation.
Sessions > Duhon
Sessions > N8
Altho playing waiting game is probably going to work out if both Lee and N8 sign. I'm happy to chillax and let DW play his cards, but it pains me to see every other team get better by leaps and bounds, and the only players DW talks to is old or a wafer or a bender and I'd rather see that money go to Sessions. or DLee & N8.