WTF Is Going On?

Kiyaman

Legend
When the NBA sent out a memo to its teams on July 7 with the salary cap information for the 2009-10 season, it also included an attachment with some precautionary projections for 2010-11.

The league said it was possible that the $58 million cap could drop 2.5 to five percent, which would be as much as $8 million. And at that point, with cap flexibility in 2010 the primary goal, Knicks president Donnie Walsh hit the pause button on his plans to upgrade the roster this summer.

I guess that puts us in a 23 win 2009-10 season mess
It is July 30th and we still have our MLE.
It looks like the Knicks has become the FA last resort.
Will we be the last resort for the 2010 FA too?

It will be August, and look where we stand in next season playoff race:
1) Boston
2) Cleveland
3) Orlando
4) Toronto
5) Atlanta
6) Philly
7) Miami
8) Washington
9) Chicago
10) Charlotte
11) New Jersey
12) Detroit
13) Lottery Team<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
It's good that most of you have high hopes for the Knicks. We've all had high hopes time and time again and saw fruitless results. We agree that the top free agents will go where the money is but guess what, their existing teams will be able to match any offer we make. Lets not pretend that money is the only factor. For players at the Kobe/LeBron/Wade level winning is as important, or at very least a very close second to finance. They will get paid regardless. The notion that teams will come to N.Y. just because it's N.Y. is delusional. Sure someone on a losing team in the middle of nowhere would like to make the jump to the big apple, no question, but let's be real, LeBron made it to the eastern finals, a heartbeat away from the finals. LeBron to N.Y. would be three steps backward for a guy that wants an NBA championship. Put your fandome aside and think logically. No one that wants a title will come to N.Y. with this current roster. Had Walsh gotten a shot blocker (Not Darko) and a real point guard (Not Tinsely) things would be different. I respect him staying the course. He hasn't added cap which is great but this team is not competitive. I'm not trying to be a killjoy but we've got to be realistic.

Get ready for Bosh and Redd

JayJ44

Starter
It's good that most of you have high hopes for the Knicks. We've all had high hopes time and time again and saw fruitless results. We agree that the top free agents will go where the money is but guess what, their existing teams will be able to match any offer we make. Lets not pretend that money is the only factor. For players at the Kobe/LeBron/Wade level winning is as important, or at very least a very close second to finance. They will get paid regardless. The notion that teams will come to N.Y. just because it's N.Y. is delusional. Sure someone on a losing team in the middle of nowhere would like to make the jump to the big apple, no question, but let's be real, LeBron made it to the eastern finals, a heartbeat away from the finals. LeBron to N.Y. would be three steps backward for a guy that wants an NBA championship. Put your fandome aside and think logically. No one that wants a title will come to N.Y. with this current roster. Had Walsh gotten a shot blocker (Not Darko) and a real point guard (Not Tinsely) things would be different. I respect him staying the course. He hasn't added cap which is great but this team is not competitive. I'm not trying to be a killjoy but we've got to be realistic.

It's not like the Cavs minus Lebron are that good. We have a much better core than they do. The only reason they made it to the ECF, is Lebron's outstanding play. If we were to add Lebron to this roster, as is, we could probably make the finals. In fact, Lebron would have a much more long term success in NY rather than Cleveland.

Gallo, Chandler, Hill, Douglas>Mo Williams, Delonte West, Varejao

Shaq and Ilgaulskus are both on their last legs, and will retire soon. The Cavs don't really have any young talent that to go forward with. We have a pretty solid young core, not to mention the possibility of us acquiring Ramon Sessions.

Red

TYPE-A
I can't believe this....smh

Had Walsh gotten a shot blocker (Not Darko) and a real point guard (Not Tinsely) things would be different. I respect him staying the course. He hasn't added cap which is great but this team is not competitive. I'm not trying to be a killjoy but we've got to be realistic.

Had we gotten a PG and a shot blocker that fit our system WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD A FA STAR NEXT SEASON!! What about "wait til' 2010- we're clearing cap space- it's gonna take 2 yrs" don't you understand? I'm sick of "Fans" saying they understand the plan then b*tchin and moaning b/c they can't wait! What you want is SHORT TERM, and I undrstnd' you don't agree (which could of and was stated 1000x's) but it is what it is. Walsh told you guys the plan from jump and now m*therf*ckers are STILL COMPLAINING. Wake up. I respect you donchris but these statements!!?!? No one will want to come to NY?:?! So Bostons team was all that before they got the "big three"? People were fiending to go to Utah or Orlando or Charlt. Stop... You can't say people don't want to go to a team that's building for the future with unlimited resources and a top ten coach not to mention a savvy GM. Your fandome hasn't allowed you to embrace this new regime and thus you group all your Isaiah memories and let downs together. Now its you've been waiting years when THESE guys have been on the job 1 YEAR HELLO 1 YEAR!!!!!! After this year we will actually be under the cap- Are There Any Knick Fans Who Are Smart Enough To Comprehend This? Please tell me there are...

Kiyaman

Legend
Had we gotten a PG and a shot blocker that fit our system WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD A FA STAR NEXT SEASON!! What about "wait til' 2010- we're clearing cap space- it's gonna take 2 yrs" don't you understand? I'm sick of "Fans" saying they understand the plan then b*tchin and moaning b/c they can't wait! What you want is SHORT TERM, and I undrstnd' you don't agree (which could of and was stated 1000x's) but it is what it is. Walsh told you guys the plan from jump and now m*therf*ckers are STILL COMPLAINING. Wake up. I respect you donchris but these statements!!?!? No one will want to come to NY?:?! So Bostons team was all that before they got the "big three"? People were fiending to go to Utah or Orlando or Charlt. Stop... You can't say people don't want to go to a team that's building for the future with unlimited resources and a top ten coach not to mention a savvy GM. Your fandome hasn't allowed you to embrace this new regime and thus you group all your Isaiah memories and let downs together. Now its you've been waiting years when THESE guys have been on the job 1 YEAR HELLO 1 YEAR!!!!!! After this year we will actually be under the cap- Are There Any Knick Fans Who Are Smart Enough To Comprehend This? Please tell me there are...

Red....I took the time to read all your post in this thread, and there is one important thing u left out....the large population of people in New York State is 4 times as large than the average state. Which makes our sport-fans increasingly large, so when Lakers Kobe, Nuggets Carmelo, Spurs Duncan, Dallas Dirk, Phoenix Amare, Utah Deron, or CP3, show up to MSG the word on 33rd st. is "SOLD-OUT". And that is just the teams in the West Coast.
Plus win or lose since the arrival of Marbury in 2003-4 the Knicks MSG have average 19 thousand Fans in their stadium. The Knicks gross income the last 4 years the same amount of $$$MONEY$$$ as the top 5 winning teams.
Marbury may have been a team Loser, but his number # 3 Jersey in New York for 2 and half season sold more and top any NBA Super-Star to the point where Marbury opened up his own Franchise.

Isiah may have been clueless on how to win with Marbury, but on the "real" money making bussiness tip he was a genius in making millions in profit for Owner Dolan who kept spending big dollars.

The only players in the league the Dolan's private Front Office see that can do the samething money-wise is super-star Lebron James or D.Wade.
So if Walsh & Dantoni cant keep the profit flowing a year after the 2010 Plan.....we are onto the next President and headcoach.
It's a BUSSINESS!!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Red....I know my above comment did not have a damn thing to do with Knicks Winning past, present, or future, b/c its all about the $$MONEY$$.

Recall: in one offseason Isiah Thomas had Dolan buy out Jalen Rose, Taylor, and Larry Brown contract. Now that was some BIG-Paper$, inwhich u will never ever see any team in the league ever do.

With the strong rumors of the 2010-11 cap salary being reduced 2.5 less than the 2009-10 salary cap....Donnie Walsh is F....ked bad b/c he cant upgrade the team this offseason with the MLE b/c decent FA is not going for that one year rental plan.
Walsh put his big-foot in his mouth for publically screaming 2010 Plan and then adding Lebron James name in it.
That caused all kind of un-called for rumors by the Big New York Media throughout last season inwhich Lebron's Agents disliked.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting

Where do I begin with the inaccuracies in your statement? Let me start with Boston. They had Pierce, an all star and one of the hardest working guards in the league. Love him or hate him, Pierce put Boston on his back for years with little help. That aside, aside from Gasol to L.A., Garnette to Boston was one of the most f*cked up crooked trades in the league. An all-star traded for straight trash and peanuts. Ok, if Walsh has the hook up with some other team it could happen for N.Y. but I wouldn't bank on it.

Had we gotten a PG and a shot blocker that fit our system WE WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO AFFORD A FA STAR NEXT SEASON!!

*Marcus Camby final year of his contract at $7,650,000
*Jermain Oneal expiring contract at $22,995,000 (a Hughes,Curry, Lee trade could have worked)
*Chris Anderson (Denver Nugets) free agent. May add to cap slightly but increase core competitiveness.
*Marcin Gorat free agent

These are all players that could have made the Knicks more competitive, which is one of Walsh's mandates. This thinking should have been basic and the first agenda for Walsh in the off season. It doesn't require a great deal of adding salary at all. Get someone in the paint, and in fairness he did. His name is Darko. WOW..... Why not just keep Jerome James.

PG is easy. Duhon performed well most of last season, he just needs at the very least a back up. That is until we can sign a better guard and make him the back up. I'd be satisfied with Sesson or J. Will.

My problem with Walsh and DanO isn't the 2010 plan. The plan of getting under the cap is great. But making the Knicks an expansion team equivalent won't attract the great one. Knicks fans put way too much faith in Chandler and Gallinari, as specially Gallinari who is already damaged and unproven in the league.

Someone said Hill, Gallo and Chandler is a great core. Core of what? Core of role players? Talk to someone that knows sports but is not a Knicks fan. Tell them 'Hey how bout that Danilo Gallinari?' I can almost guarantee you'll get a confused look in return. A 'WTF are you talking about' look. You'll get the same if you start talking up LeBron in 2010.