Nate At The Point, Yes Or No?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
If we have him again this season, which I hope we do, would you put him as a point if we don't sign anybody such as Sessions? Duhon can't do it all by himself and I have a feeling that if that's the position he's ASSIGNED to then he won't be wild with his own one on one stuff.I saw a lot from him this past season where he isn't selfish and did you some great teamwork. I say it's worth a shot and I think people are really forgetting how nasty he is attacking the basket giving potential open shots from others. If he does the teamwork conisistently, he could be a very good player.

Last edited:

JayJ44

Starter
Nate isn't a PG. He's not a good passer, and he's not team oriented. He's a shoot first scorer. I don't think you can change that, he is what he is.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
he shouldve been given the spot 3 years ago

its an epic sports fail, not knowin lineup formations

u put ur best dribbler @ point, not to mention he gives u many options

off the pick n roll N8 is much deadlier solely cuz of his speed and dribble, shooting is just about the same as duhon, streakier 3pt shot but better mid range game

my hope already ran out tho, if they didnt realize this last year they're still prolly stuck with that 6th man idea of him

the knicks need a general spark in the game, not just one off the bench, N8 has been that guy for years...

Kiyaman

Legend
Nate is the Knicks best Starter & Bench Player at the PG

Nate showed us Knick-Fans his great PG skills as a starter in his rookie season. Which happen to be the Knicks last longest winning streak (6 games).

The way I see it....the Knicks has been straight at the PG position for the last 4 years. However, having back-injury Q.Richardson and bad decision-making Crawful at the SG position the last 4 years has been the biggest problem gettin Knick-wins.
Alot may say differ....but when a teams coach have to put a 5.7 player on the court to play the SG position does say alot about the teams SG's on the roster.

portega1968

El Cacique
Nate is more effective off the bench; like David Lee, an awesome sixth man to have.

I dont envision them as starters after the summer of 2010, if by a longshot they remain here. And I do hope they do remain here at a cheap price as essential complementary pieces.

Id rather start Duhon, JWill or Sessions at PG over Nate.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
This is one of the funniest threads. Nate is a scoring spark off the bench. That will be his role for his entire NBA career. If people want him as our starting PG for the future, then they must not like winning.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
If we can't upgrade at PG we should definitely consider nate for that spot. Duhon is solid but he disappears when he is out on the court. He has no presence. Nate is our best option IMO.

dave2138

Rotation player
Considering the option that Nate resigns with us for the qualifying offer which is probably the most predictable option to happen right now.

I think the smartest thing to do is let Nate start at PG, give him 35+ minutes/game and do 1 of 2 things come January.

1) Trade him to a team in need of a cheap PG/SG for either a future draft pick or to a team that would take Curry/Jefferies.

How else would a team know if Nate has true PG potential unless the Knicks showcase him by starting him full time.

Say Nate does prove that those certain games where he averaged 7+ assists/game while scoring 15-20+ points wasn't a fluke, then the Knicks can still resign him after next year after they sign their max contract.

Its a Win-Win situation to let Nate start full time at PG.

You already know what you are going to get out of Nate the 6th man/SG, and we know in that role he has little trade value and little long term worth signing long term. The 2009/2010 season is 1 where a lot of experimenting will take place given the team being one of the worst in the NBA, so there is no harm in putting Nate at PG.

I dunno man nates numbers were all star caliber when he started games last season. I personally believe in that offense any one with handles and the ability to get into the paint can be an effective pg, hence duhon putting up top ten pg numbers until he fell apart. If coach D grills Nate through training camp and coaches him correctly he could most definitely play pg for us. Although I would rather have sessions, if we dont get him, nate will ultimately become our best option.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Nate's scoring ability is the reason why he would make a great PG in due time.. Nate could be like a Mo Williams but much better... When Nate started the few games he did I liked him more because he knew he had to pace himself through the game rather then coming off the bench and trying to change everything. His play on the passing lanes would lead to many fast breaks and we also have Galo who like many others have said can be a point/forward... The nate came off the bench he was the super hyper kid who always screams out and pumps his chest but when he starts that same energy is more controlled and he picks his moments better.

At the same time I hope all this talk about Sessions has caused Duhon to really step up his offseason work outs.

Kiyaman

Legend
After all that big controversy over the PG in this draft class....alot of people forgot PG-Duhon will be in his second season with this Knick Team on an ending contract.

PG-Duhon has never averaged over 24 minutes a game in his entire NBA career or was given the greenlight to call-shots.
What Duhon did last season as the Knick starting PG was way to impressive for Knick-fans to cut him so short like they did this offseason.
Yes' the 40 minutes per regular season games since the preseason games would make a first timer hit the wall kinda hard.....but Duhon did not hit the wall or show any signs of mental or physical injury throughout the season.

Lets just say adding ex-teammate Larry Hughes on the team and into the rotation (30 mpg) was not one of Duhon's best moments as a Knick last season (remember Duhon still interact with certain players on the Bulls).
Nate's big argument with coach Dantoni and Duhon falling apart all happen after the February deadline.

Nate the Great is one of the top-5 toughest creative 6th-Man (Guards) off the bench in the NBA. Yes, with two transition players as the 7th and 8th man off the bench, Nate will be more aggresive as a bench player than a Starter.

Decent bench-Players

6th-Nate
7th-Chandler
8th-Gallo
9th-Hill

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is one of the funniest threads. Nate is a scoring spark off the bench. That will be his role for his entire NBA career. If people want him as our starting PG for the future, then they must not like winning.

You only think this way because that's what Dantoni designated him as. The times when he started he produced pretty good numbers and played a more controlled game.

<TABLE class="playerStatTable splitTot" style="WIDTH: 499px; HEIGHT: 39px" borderColor=#0000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR class=title><TD class=split>SPLIT</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>GS</TD><TD>MPG</TD><TD>FG%</TD><TD>3P%</TD><TD>FT%</TD><TD>OFF</TD><TD>DEF</TD><TD>REB</TD><TD>APG</TD><TD>SPG</TD><TD>BPG</TD><TD>PPG</TD></TR><TR><TR class=odd><TD class=splitTxt>As A Starter</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>38.0</TD><TD>.441</TD><TD>.288</TD><TD>.814</TD><TD>2.2</TD><TD>3.4</TD><TD>5.5</TD><TD>5.0</TD><TD>1.3</TD><TD>0.2</TD><TD>21.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 3P% is a bit low but those are good numbers for a guy who people think is strictly a SG. These numbers on a consistent basis will get you an all-star birth.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
nice stat, so the knicks missed out on a 21, 5, and 5 player for the past 3 years

great, instead they let a bench guy for HINRICH get 35+ minutes who shoots 40% and constantly needs screens to get around his guy

shit is sad

the portable man

Benchwarmer
and people actin like he needs to get 10apg to get approval

as if every team runs an offense like chris paul and the hornets, then u wonder why they get knocked out the first round

i'd actually rather have nate average 6apg as a starter and half the time let danilo and someone else create somethin, just for the other players development

solely relying on a pg all game to get u open just to shoot isn't gonna help ur game

knicks got a gem and cant see it

the portable man

Benchwarmer
and people actin like he needs to get 10apg to get approval

as if every team runs an offense like chris paul and the hornets, then u wonder why they get knocked out the first round

i'd actually rather have nate average 6apg as a starter and half the time let danilo and someone else create somethin, for other players development

solely relying on a pg all game to get u open just to shoot isn't gonna help ur game

knicks got a gem and cant see it

TunerAddict

Starter
I'm supposed to be impressed by a guy that doesn't even shoot the league average? (Even when he was "allstar quality" as a starter)

No thx. I'm not drinking the koolaid.

Just calculated the league average for 08-09

When he atleast becomes average, give me a ring.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm supposed to be impressed by a guy that doesn't even shoot the league average? (Even when he was "allstar quality" as a starter)

No thx. I'm not drinking the koolaid.

Just calculated the league average for 08-09

When he atleast becomes average, give me a ring.
Are you seriously making a huge deal about his slighty below average league FG% as a starter??? Come on, now your just nit picking man!

Well I guess your not impressed by these guys either since they shot below the league average as well. Your hating on Nate for no reason.

Wade - .439
Pierce - .438
J. Johnson - .417
C. Paul - .411
Turkoglu - .427
R. Allen - .394

There are PLENTY of guys that shoot below the average FG%. AI did it for years but people aren't going to question his worth on the court. While your calculation is true, it means nothing in terms of deciding Nate's worth on the court.

TunerAddict

Starter
Are you seriously making a huge deal about his slighty below average league FG% as a starter??? Come on, now your just nit picking man!

Well I guess your not impressed by these guys either since they shot below the league average as well. Your hating on Nate for no reason.

Wade - .439
Pierce - .438
J. Johnson - .417
C. Paul - .411
Turkoglu - .427
R. Allen - .394

There are PLENTY of guys that shoot below the average FG%. AI did it for years but people aren't going to question his worth on the court. While your calculation is true, it means nothing in terms of deciding Nate's worth on the court.

DWade shot 49% last year
C.Paul shot over 50%
Pierce shot 45.7%
Ray Allen shot 48%

Where the hell are you getting these retarded stats from?

nyk_nyk

All Star
You are correct. I swear I got those numbers from NBA.com. I just double checked and it appears the numbers are wrong, my bad. Turkgoglu and Johnson did shoot below the average though and you can add Carmelo to that list too.

Basically you get my point though. Nate's FG% doesn't come close to realizing his true value as a basketball player.