Rubio to Knicks is back on?

KBlack25

Starter
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61171/20090817/knicks_could_be_pursuing_rubio/

With Minnesota Timberwolves' President David Kahn bound for Spain this week, some feel the trip isn't necessarily to bring Ricky Rubio back to Minnesota.

One insider tells RealGM's Alex Kennedy that Kahn could be working out a scenario where Rubio would be dealt to the New York Knicks.

"The Knicks have closed off negotiations with all free agent point guards until next week. I think they're making a push for Rubio and if that fails, then they'll reopen talks with their other options," says the source.

"Kahn and [Knicks' President] Donnie Walsh are close and New York is looking for a cheap point guard who could help attract free agents next summer. Rubio fits that mold. I think that's what this latest trip to Spain is about, working something out with New York."

The Knicks have been in talks with multiple free agent point guards, most notably Ramon Sessions.

Thoughts?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Ughh!! I don't want to get my hopes up again but I can't help it. This is great news. Hopefully Donnie can get something done.

Then sign and trade Lee to Portland for Fernandez and Blake or Outlaw.

GetRealistic

Starter
Ughh!! I don't want to get my hopes up again but I can't help it. This is great news. Hopefully Donnie can get something done.

Then sign and trade Lee to Portland for Fernandez and Blake or Outlaw.

Yea but i thought you were fed up with Donnie not making any moves. And at the rate he was going we were going to have nobody for 2010.. Not saying this deal is going to happen, but wouldn't it mean that patience and not rushing into any deal is actually the perfect strategy for the Knicks?

I don't know but i'm thinking Rubio would be a better pickup then Sessions or the many other players most of the posters have pined over.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yea but i thought you were fed up with Donnie not making any moves. And at the rate he was going we were going to have nobody for 2010.. Not saying this deal is going to happen, but wouldn't it mean that patience and not rushing into any deal is actually the perfect strategy for the Knicks?

I don't know but i'm thinking Rubio would be a better pickup then Sessions or the many other players most of the posters have pined over.

Agreed. I realize I have been impatient and have stated this numerous times. Just frustrated I guess. If Donnie does get this done I will shut up about Donnie not making moves.

smokes

Huge Member
**** you all for getting my hopes up on us getting Rubio again!

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn... Really hope this is what our offseason has been gearing towards otherwise it's gonna be such a disappointment.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Just so you guys know - the realgm writer of this article has zero credibility and is using pure speculation to build an argument for the knicks/rubio marriage.
He is also only 16 years old and and u can see him by clicking on the link. He is to the left of JJ reddick
In other words - I won't get my hopes up.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/7292-alex-kennedy

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just so you guys know - the realgm writer of this article has zero credibility and is using pure speculation to build an argument for the knicks/rubio marriage.
He is also only 16 years old and and u can see him by clicking on the link. He is to the left of JJ reddick
In other words - I won't get my hopes up.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/7292-alex-kennedy

Thanks for the reality check.

*sighs*

The real reason we haven't signed Sessions or anybody else is salary cap for 2010. If Donnie can't move Jeffries or Curry he won't make an offer to Sessions.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not true! Alan Hahn just shot the rumor down on Twitter, and no offense to Real GM, but there inside source is probably the equipment manager at MSG.

Damn, I (as most of us have) have been monitoring this situation with the hopes we could snag him, it just doesnt look like we have the resources.

Nate, Wison and our 2012 pick might get them to budge. Of course that means Nate has to agree to a sign and trade to Minny.

I mean never say never, Walsh and Kahn know each other well, I would imagine he would at least listen to any offer Donnie proposes.

If only Minny had drafted Curry and Flynn, I think G-State wouldve passed on Rubio for Hill simply because of the contract issue with Rubio.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Not true! Alan Hahn just shot the rumor down on Twitter, and no offense to Real GM, but there inside source is probably the equipment manager at MSG.

Damn, I (as most of us have) have been monitoring this situation with the hopes we could snag him, it just doesnt look like we have the resources.

Nate, Wison and our 2012 pick might get them to budge. Of course that means Nate has to agree to a sign and trade to Minny.

I mean never say never, Walsh and Kahn know each other well, I would imagine he would at least listen to any offer Donnie proposes.

If only Minny had drafted Curry and Flynn, I think G-State wouldve passed on Rubio for Hill simply because of the contract issue with Rubio.

Totally agree with your last statement. And if this were true, it would have made total sense because of the fact that we have not gotten sessions.

Man, i'm just waiting for us to do something. I just want us to sign sessions, resign lee and nate and be done with already. This waiting is making me nervous....

Amazing the stir you get when a 16-year old kid is allowed to post whatever he wants.....it doesnt make sense (at least to me) to trade Chandler for Rubio....

Chandler and Sessions > Rubio

And Chandler would just be the starting point....the Knicks would have to offer more than that. It doesn't make sense for the Knicks to do it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Amazing the stir you get when a 16-year old kid is allowed to post whatever he wants.....it doesnt make sense (at least to me) to trade Chandler for Rubio....

Chandler and Sessions > Rubio

And Chandler would just be the starting point....the Knicks would have to offer more than that. It doesn't make sense for the Knicks to do it.

I suppose you're right getting Sessions and keeping Chandler is better than having Rubio. My only reason to want to move Chandler is that it really makes no sense to have him and Galo. I guess Chandler can play the SG and Galo the 4, but SF is both of their best postions

Why do you think Rubio is worth so much? He went 5th overall in the draft, he has flaws in his game.

Rubio only went 5th because of his contract. Rubio likely wouldve been number 2 had he not had the contract issue. He is wort so much because he is a playmaking PG in the mold of Nash (minus the jumper) who would flourish under Dantoni.

ANU

Starter
i doubt it.we will need to have to be a 3rd team involved and most likely hill and chandler get dealt.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
he'll be worth less and less as time passes. In a couple of years he will come thru free agency or may be worth a mid-round pick.

he'll be worth less and less as time passes. In a couple of years he will come thru free agency or may be worth a mid-round pick.

Apparently via RealGM he signed to Regal Barcelona for 6 years with a reasonable buyout after 2011....

I disagree. I think his value will increase. He will become a better player the next two years and will still have to play for the rookie contract when he gets to the NBA. The T'Wolves weren't making the playoffs this year anyways, so they can handle letting him play on Europe.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Apparently via RealGM he signed to Regal Barcelona for 6 years with a reasonable buyout after 2011....

I disagree. I think his value will increase. He will become a better player the next two years and will still have to play for the rookie contract when he gets to the NBA. The T'Wolves weren't making the playoffs this year anyways, so they can handle letting him play on Europe.

''Ricky Rubio may not have officially signed with Regal Barcelona yet.
Rubio could still play in Spain rather than the NBA next season, but reports out of the country on Wednesday may have been overstated, according to league sources.
"Ricky Rubio hasn't signed anything. Joventut hasn't accepted anything. It's not over yet," the source told ESPN.com.
The Spanish newspaper Marca said Regal FC Barcelona had agreed to pay Rubio's former team, DKV Joventut, $5.28 million U.S., for the rights to Rubio, who the Timberwolves took with the fifth overall pick in June's NBA Draft.
"Based on the information I have attained today, no team in any league has reached a deal with DKV Joventut concerning Ricky's buyout, which must be accomplished before Ricky is released from his contract with DKV Joventut," Minnesota general manager David Kahn said in a statement released by the team on Wednesday afternoon.''

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61308/20090826/source_rubio_deal_not_done_yet/