Cablevision To Offer LeBron His Own Channel?

YEARITEHERE

Benchwarmer
Cablevision To Offer LeBron His Own Channel?

Sep 09, 2009 7:09 PM EST
Frank Isola has heard a rumor that Cablevision will offer LeBron James his own television channel if he lands in New York.

Cablevision is in the process of spinning off its Madison Square Garden operation, which includes the Knicks, into a separate corporate entity.

REALGM.COM

JayJ44

Starter
I read this in Isola's blog. It's an interesting idea. Is it even legal under NBA rules? Either way, I think we're the only team in the league that can offer him his own channel.

portega1968

El Cacique
approaching the summer of bron, the madness will be in crescendo as evidenced by this piece of ridiculous speculation by Isola.

what's next.. they gonna offer renaming MSG as the Lebron James Coliseum?

Trin_Starr

Starter
If this rumor is true.....then it seems that NYK is gonna put together one helluva FA package for LBJ with a bunch of extra incentives....

tiger0330

Legend
I've been skeptical that we could sign Lebron because I don't see him playing for a team that's rebuilding but if MSG can offer him a channel that would probably clinch the deal in signing him. He would be an instant media mogul and have a foundation for becoming the billionaire he aspires to be. That would be a helluva commitment by MSG, the value of a startup channel has to be in the 10s of millions of dollars.

I don't think it impacts the CBA because all players can strike business deals outside of their NBA contracts.

mafra

Legend
It so obvious Lebron will sign with the KNICKS. It's not even an issue anymore. I predict come July 4th, Lebron will be throwing out the first pitch (to his buddy CC) in Yankee stadium with a Knicks jersey on.

Chandler = a young Ariza.
Gallinari = a young Turkoglu.

If anything, last year's playoffs proved to Lebron that we do have a future here in NY. How important were both those players in their team's run to the finals?

A big man / point FWD, who can dribble, shoot the 3 and Pass? A defensive stopper with some offensive game? PLEASE... insert Lebron to that mix and you have the core of something special.

Toss in a Lee, Harrington.... There you go. Imagine if Hill, Douglas, Darko show promise? It wont even be an issue anymore.

ALSO, Lebron realizes we can get a PG in 2011. Even if Duhon-Douglas-Nate will have to suffice for 2010.

Lebron covets this stage, MSG, all that jazz. IF he comes to NY and wins championships here.... Forget about it.

It would be nice if he can win in CLE.... give that city one before he goes. Let's hope so!

tiger0330

Legend
It so obvious Lebron will sign with the KNICKS. It's not even an issue anymore. I predict come July 4th, Lebron will be throwing out the first pitch (to his buddy CC) in Yankee stadium with a Knicks jersey on.

Chandler = a young Ariza.
Gallinari = a young Turkoglu.

If anything, last year's playoffs proved to Lebron that we do have a future here in NY. How important were both those players in their team's run to the finals?

A big man / point FWD, who can dribble, shoot the 3 and Pass? A defensive stopper with some offensive game? PLEASE... insert Lebron to that mix and you have the core of something special.

Toss in a Lee, Harrington.... There you go. Imagine if Hill, Douglas, Darko show promise? It wont even be an issue anymore.

ALSO, Lebron realizes we can get a PG in 2011. Even if Duhon-Douglas-Nate will have to suffice for 2010.

Lebron covets this stage, MSG, all that jazz. IF he comes to NY and wins championships here.... Forget about it.

It would be nice if he can win in CLE.... give that city one before he goes. Let's hope so!
I hope you're right but there is a majority out there that say the Knicks suck despite having Gallo and Chandler. If the Knicks truly are the 3rd worst team in the NBA and nobody offers Lebron a TV channel then he ain't coming. He's a unique player that doesn't need to be in a major market to get all the endorsement deals, commercials and publicity he wants.

johnstarky

Rotation player
Why not build an arena for Lebron James, name a street after him, make July 1st the official Lebron James holiday and put up a statue of him in Central Park? I don't see any athlete that would reject that offer.

mafra

Legend
I hope you're right but there is a majority out there that say the Knicks suck despite having Gallo and Chandler. If the Knicks truly are the 3rd worst team in the NBA and nobody offers Lebron a TV channel then he ain't coming. He's a unique player that doesn't need to be in a major market to get all the endorsement deals, commercials and publicity he wants.

This is true, and my gut feeling that he's coming to NY means nothing.... Still, you can just sense that Lebron wants NY. Sure, he can get the money-titles-endorsements ANYWHERE.... but there's only one place he wants to win in- NYC.

NOW, imagine what his buddy CC is saying about being in NY. If he watches CC win it all and he sees CC riding down the canyon of heroes.... that's just more incentive.

Lebron wants it all- and he wants to own NY. He wants to come here and rescue this franchise and become beloved by this city. He's a NY-o-phile.

This is what I believe. The money is equal anywhere he signs, but winning in CLE wont be the same to winning in NY. AND, if he delivers a championship to CLE, he'll definitely leave b/c he would have given them their title.

As for the talent level. This is basketball. That changes year-2-year. You need 1 star player to compete, 2 to be really good, and 3 to be championship caliber.

The Knicks are set. Trust me. Gallinari is legit. Wait and see. Chandler, Harrington, Lee, Hill, Douglas are just as good (their future and potential) as anything CLE offers. Not to mention, Leborn will get help: Bosh or Amare or even Paul in 2011.