How will the Knicks do this year?

dan1608

Benchwarmer
How will they do, how will they preform this year? What will be their record? Do they have a shot of making the playoffs? and What changes will be made, this year?

TheChosen1

Benchwarmer
I think the Knicks are definitely going to improve this year. We are finally going to have Gallo for the whole season, healthy and ready to go. We have a unit that played together for a whole season, so the chemistry and comradery is there. We got rid of Q-Rich who used to take up minutes that could have been given to players worthy of them. We added a player who has the potential to be a offensive threat and who plays that defense in the middle we need in Darko. We drafted two very skilled players in Hill and Douglas. Hill with the upside of becoming a Bosh like player but with more aggression. Douglas a great scorer and defender who has to improve his PG skills. This young core has the potential to become a force. With the additions of Lee, Robinson if they get signed (which is highly likely), Chandler, Harrington and hopefully Duhon worked on his stamina and conditioning, I think we have a solid team to work with this season. They are going to have 38-40 wins this season. They will be fighting for that 8th position in the East. The reason being is they have to prove a lot this season to draw that 2010 free-agent class here and some players on this team especially have to step up. To determine the changes is going to be difficult as we seen so far this summer. Donnie is a very patient person. He is only going to make a move if it involves Jefferies or Curry and that it doesn't affect our 2010 plan. I'm actually really excited to see this group play this year. Hopefully us Knicks fans will not be let down and see that effort on the floor, night in and night out. so LETS GO KNICKS!

New New York

Quiet Storm
I am that nieve fan that thinks/hopes we will makes the playoffs every year!

I would like to say that this year I have become more realistic in my beliefs, and I realize that we are not a playoff bound team -the award for Mr. Obvious goes to....- But I still think we should be realitively respectable and in the playoff hunt come March.

Its just that on paper year in and year out we look like a team that could really be competitive.

I really think The Knicks wouldve done much better Isiah's second season as coach had he not brought in Zach Randolph, during Isiah's first season both David Lee and Eddy Curry enjoyed breakout seasons, Stephon Marbury had a more defined role (and most importantly one he embraced) and Q and Jamal knew what their roles were But brining in Zach really threw off team chemistry on the court (we all know there were plenty of off the court factors too).

I make this point because this year's team did not make any major moves and do not have any new players to incorporate, we enter the season with the same coach we had for the full season before for only the third time since Van Gundy left, and as of right now there is no scandal or turmiol.

Eddy Curry appears to ready to go -last I heard he was down to 308 with 10 more to go befor opening night- David Lee will re-sign and will have reason to play hard and Duhon should look a lot better this season than he did last season as his first as a full-time starter.

Now there are still questions about us, like how does Wilson and Danillo coexist if they both play the same positon? Who is going to be our starting SG, what role if any do our two rookies play, and who provides backup to Duhon?

But I do see us as being better simply because chemistry should be better. I predict between 35-37 wins!

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Quote me on this

knicks go 45-37.

Quote me on this.

Hahaha! I will quote you on this. *favorites thread for end of season*

This is a 30-35 win team. Many teams improved this year and the Knicks haven't. They are the same team as last year, essentially. Hill, Douglas, Darko, healthy Gallo and in-shape Curry do not get us 12 more wins.

Back to reality people. It's all about next year. This year is another throw away year. Which is looking more and more unfavorable. Nate and Lee will be 1 year rentals (maybe, we still haven't signed them yet) because we cannot afford to retain their Bird Rights and have cap flexibility. The same goes for Darko, Harrington, Duhon and Hughes.

Essentially Donnie is praying Lebron signs on a team with 6 players (Jeffries, Curry, Chandler, Gallo, Hill and Douglas). After paying Lebron the max we will only have enough left over to sign one of the above players (probably Lee or Harrington). Then we have an 8 man roster. Any sign-and-trades or mid-level exceptions we make next year will eat into 2011's cap flexibility.

The number one priority this year is trading Curry and Jeffries for expiring contracts. That's it. If Curry and Jeffries are not traded by the deadline, we're screwed. Forget playoffs and just hope for them to be traded.

All of this annoyingly unabated optimism (e.g. Sessions will sign with us because it's NY, Lebron will sign with us because it's NY, we're a great team that will make the playoffs this year, etc., etc.) is getting out of hand. Put your fan mindset down and take a step back. The Knicks are probably the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the east.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Quote me on this

knicks go 45-37.

Quote me on this.

Hey I would love for that to happen!

But come on!

Now shallow minded fans would say that the reason this is not practical is because "we did not make any major off season moves" and "all the Teams in The East got so much better except us", but my take on it is simply that we still a young team with no leadership.

This is just about Danillo's rookie season, if he plays all 82 he is bound to hit the wall much like Wilson did about midway of last season.

Wilson is talented, but is still not a go to player, yes he showed flashes, but he is not there yet.

We still have weak interior defense

We have no backup for Duhon

All of these factors mean that there is no way we win more than half of our gams

45 wins would make Mike Dantoni the best coach in Basketball....and hey I would love to say that, but it is about as likely as Lebron coming here in 2010

bfab99

Benchwarmer
I don't know how many wins, but we'll be a 6th-8th seed playoff team after 82 games. Some people here say that a lot of East teams got better this off season. THAT IS STUPID. Last year, Raptors were said "GOT A LOT BETTER" when they got Jermaine Oneal. Look what happened to their team. They became a lottery team, and their coach got FIRED. LOL! The Nets had Lopez, Carter and Harris and they didn't make playoffs LOL! I say we get a better record this year because like I said on another thread, we just lost MANY DUMB GAMES (Al Harrington rim hanging twice, losing to Kings in MSG, losing to Thunder when they had 16 game losing streak, to name a few). Play smart and we have a chance to make playoffs. The only REAL REAL REAL GOOD teams in the East are the Celtics, Cavs and Magic. Aside from that, everyone is pretty even in my opinion. Look how many teams were battling for the 8th spot last year at the end. Knicks, Bucks, Pacers, Bulls (pulled away), Nets, Raps etc....LOL! We'll get there! Go Knicks!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
we'll be a little better simply cause we'll have a little more chemistry cause the squad would've been together for a while not like last year with all the trades, ima go out and say 37-45 and we'll be much more competitive this season

one dude im really excited about ( no homo ) and really looking forward to watching him play is toney douglas dude is a beast and has great skills he'll start off inconsistent but come mid dec-January he'll be a beast

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Teams are still going to run layup lines on us so i say 30-37. If we hit 40... f*uck it...i'll move out of MSG.

Deep down i really hope we break 40 so the players becoming free agents see that we are almost there.

Kiyaman

Legend
Nah, but you are. Quit trolling.

TROLLING! wtf

TunerAddict....u have to be the JOKE of your neighborhood.....u dont have any B-Ball knowledge, plus u r not qualified to comment on the task at hand the New York Knicks.
Your best bet is to comment on the Lakers or Celtics

Kiyaman

Legend
With Nate & Lee still unsigned with an un-used MLE....I can not call it for this season

The Knicks Depth Chart remains at

PG-Duhon & Hughes
SG-Hughes & Joe Crawford
SF-Chandler & Gallo (both coming off of offseason surgery)
PF-Harrington & Jefferies
C-Curry & Darko

LJ4ptplay

Starter
2009-10 Season Preview: New York Knicks
Authored by Christopher Reina - September 30, 2009 - 7:30 pm

Forecast: The Knicks will continue to be one of the highest scoring teams in the NBA, but that is why offensive rating is such an invaluable marker. New York was ranked 17th, with 108.1 points per 100 possessions and that number is unlikely to improve by much.

D'Antoni will try to stress an improved commitment defensively, but are a long ways away from being a top-15 team (they were ranked 23rd last season).

With a few breaks here and there in those close games last season, the Knicks could have won an additional two or three games, but the playoffs are a near impossible advancement, especially since the Raptors and Wizards missed the playoffs last season and have improved significantly.

The Knicks were a net +9.4 points per 100 possessions better with Gallinari on the floor, so a healthy season from him would be the only real difference in terms of personnel that can improve this team in the short-term.

Their most effective lineup will clearly be Robinson, Chandler, Gallinari, Lee and Harrington, which is likely how D'Antoni will choose to close games.

Ultimately, this season is almost exclusively about two things though:

1. Eliminate the contracts of Jeffries and Curry.

2. Develop the young players into the kind of core a top-echelon free agent feels he can win with.

http://knicks.realgm.com/articles/40/20090930/2009-10_season_preview_new_york_knicks/

Pretty accurate I think. 32-37 wins is my prediction.