Gallo interview, says he is pain-free

JayJ44

Starter
galloindrive09.jpg

NYKnicks.com: So first things first, how?s your back?
Danilo Gallinari: It?s good. I feel good and I am able to do anything I want. I have no limitations. Like I said earlier, it is impossible to count how many times I am asked about it (laughs). But it shows people care, so it is ok.
NYKnicks.com: So what?s the biggest difference for you out on the court now that you feel healthy?
Gallinari: I mean, when you play thinking about this pain and are concentrating just on how much it hurts, it is tough. It is nice to be able to concentrate on just playing basketball and being around my teammates. Last year, I would make a play and I would feel a lot of pain. I would finish a play and be like, ?Oh this hurts. I am in pain.? But now, I don?t feel that way at all. I don?t even think about it.
NYKnicks.com: What?s your mindset like going into this year?
Gallinari: I think that I have more experience, so I know probably how to handle more situations, like all these games and the travel and other things that were a bit different.
NYKnicks.com: It is only your second season, but big things are expected out of you now that you are healthy. Do you see yourself as a leader?
Gallinari: Yes. Definitely. Every team I have played on, I have always been a leader. It is how I know to play and I want to be important on this team too. I want to be in that role and feel that pressure, because I feel like when you feel pressure you do your best.
NYKnicks.com: Are you expecting to start this year?
Gallinari: I don?t know. We?ll see. I will practice as hard as I can and show to coach that I am ready, but it is up to him. Either way I will contribute and play my hardest and do things to help the Knicks when I am on the court.
NYKnicks.com: Is there anything in particular you are trying to improve?
Gallinari: Everything. I am not working on any one thing, but my game as a whole.
NYKnicks.com: What is your favorite part of being in the NBA?
Gallinari: The NBA! ( laughs) I like everything about it. It is the best basketball in the world. The skill level is the best. The atmosphere. The fans. The players. It is all great.
NYKnicks.com: What was the highlight of your year last year?
Gallinari: Probably against Atlanta. I played a lot of minutes, played really well and hit some big shots.
NYKnicks.com: You were a rookie last year. What kind of advice are you giving Jordan (Hill) and Toney (Douglas)?
Gallinari: I am telling them to compete. They need to concentrate all the time. Concentrate on every practice and concentrate on being healthy and helping the team. They are good players. They have a good future here.
NYKnicks.com: Asides from basketball and getting ready for the season, how was your summer? Any highlights you care to share?
Gallinari: It was nice. I spent time here in New York and also in Italy. When I was Italy, I tried to stay away from basketball. When I was on vacation, I tried to clear my mind and stay away from everything. I wanted focus on relaxing and spending time with my family. It is important to keep a good balance.
<table style="width: 22px; height: 38px;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td></tr><tr> <td align="left" valign="top" width="300">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> NYKnicks.com: You also had a pretty big birthday. How does it feel to be 21? How did you celebrate?
Gallinari: (laughs) It?s good. It?s a good age. I was in Italy with my family so I celebrated with them and enjoyed it. It is not a big deal like it is in America to be 21, but it is a good age and I had a very good birthday.
NYKnicks.com: So when did you get back from being over there?
Gallinari: About two weeks ago.
NYKnicks.com: And you have just been up at the training center working out?
Gallinari: Yup.
NYKnicks.com: Have you seen (President of Basketball Operations) Donnie Walsh or (Head Coach) Mike D?Antoni?
Gallinari: Yeah, they are telling me I look good.
Gallinari.com: Now that we are a couple weeks away from the season starting, is there any game that you are looking forward to more than the others?
NYKnicks.com: No, not at all. Every game is different, but every game is the same. Every one is just as important as the next.
NYKnicks.com: What is the biggest difference between where the team ended last season and where you are going to begin this year?
Gallinari.com: Last year there were a lot of changes and it took a while for us to come together. This year, we are all on the same page. We know each other better and are starting the training camp already knowing each other.
NYKnicks.com: So, as always, we like to finish by giving you a chance to tell the fans anything you want. What do you want to tell them?
Gallinari: In Italy this summer, the message of the Italian summer was ?A tutto motore?. It means ?full engine? like going ahead full speed. So ?full engine?. Everybody ?full engine? and let?s get ready for the season.
http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/summerqa09_gallinari.html

jbalsa2

Rookie
awesome! I can't wait for the season to start. Hopefully he ain't lying about his back. Pain free Gallo here we go!

hahaha Chandler doesnt need a consistent jumper my friend, he needs to attack the basket more and stop relying on his jumper period, all world athletes shouldnt depend on their jump shots. Leave that for nate duhon and gallo to hit perimeter shots.

Agreed. Chandler does settle for the jumper way to often. He a;lso needs to work on his handle a bit but he's well on his way into developing into a special player if he just attacks more.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
This is great news. If Gallo can stay injury free then I think that he will be our star player this year.

Cannot wait for the new season to start.

Its great that Gallo doesn't feel anymore pain. I hope he and Chandler can pull something off this season. We need both of them now more than ever

tiger0330

Legend
D'ants has a lot riding on this kid since he was the one that brought him to NY. D'ants is a homer so I wasn't sure if he really thought this kid was the best available player or if it was just favoritism that drove the selection.

Real disappointing that he gets injured in summer league and can't play his first year, I smelled bust with a capital B for Gallo. Glad that his injury healed, now lets see if his skills can translate into a very good NBA player.