Should Knicks approach Atlanta about Johnson trade?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
With all due respect, you don't have a clue. Buying out Curry's and Jeffries' contracts count against the cap for the entire span of their contracts.

The full mid-level exception does add to the cap.

Best case projections have us at around $28 mil in cap space next year if Jeffries and Curry are not traded (highly likely).

$17 mil for max free agent
$9 mil for Lee
= $26 mil

Add the full mid-level exception around $7 mil and we're $5 mil over the cap (- $2 mil cap space).

So, now we have an 8 man roster for next year: Jeffries, Curry, Gallo, Chandler, Hill, Douglas, max free agent and Lee. No starting PG and not enough players to fill the 13 roster minimum.

Someone please let me know how we're going to get a max-star and still have a team next year. I would like to know.

With all due respect back at ya, buying out Curry's and Jeffries contracst does NOT count against the cap after the season is over, it only counts during the current season. Hence, they will still have to pay the luxury tax against it this season but the cap will be freed up during the off season when they are trying to sign some big name players; it takes it off the books. Since both players have option years, the team could negotiate a buy out and the player, in curry's case, could not pick up his final year option and JJ has an early termination clasue in his. Now their salaries would be off the books after the season is over. Now, if they didn't have these options, then you would be correct. And if a team cuts a player, the team is still responsible for the contract; that is a different story. A player can refuse the buy out and then the team is screwed... As far as the mid-level goes, once again you missed my point... Even if a team is over the cap they can use their mid-level exception to sign a player... That's why there is a mid-level EXCEPTION!!! Yes it goes towards the cap but it doesn't affect their ability to sign free agents....That's why the NBA set's the CAP and Mid-Level
That is how I understand it.... Correct me if I am wrong...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
With all due respect back at ya, buying out Curry's and Jeffries contracst does NOT count against the cap after the season is over, it only counts during the current season. Hence, they will still have to pay the luxury tax against it this season but the cap will be freed up during the off season when they are trying to sign some big name players; it takes it off the books. Since both players have option years, the team could negotiate a buy out and the player, in curry's case, could not pick up his final year option and JJ has an early termination clasue in his. Now their salaries would be off the books after the season is over. Now, if they didn't have these options, then you would be correct. And if a team cuts a player, the team is still responsible for the contract; that is a different story. A player can refuse the buy out and then the team is screwed... As far as the mid-level goes, once again you missed my point... Even if a team is over the cap they can use their mid-level exception to sign a player... That's why there is a mid-level EXCEPTION!!! Yes it goes towards the cap but it doesn't affect their ability to sign free agents....That's why the NBA set's the CAP and Mid-Level

I think you are wrong...if that were the case the Knicks could just buy-out everyone since money is not a problem for the DOlans. Why wait 2-3 years for the Walsh 2010 plan when we could have just bought everyone out? Why would Curry still be in a Knicks uniform? Why did we have JJ clogging up a spot for years before trading him?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I think you are wrong...if that were the case the Knicks could just buy-out everyone since money is not a problem for the DOlans. Why wait 2-3 years for the Walsh 2010 plan when we could have just bought everyone out? Why would Curry still be in a Knicks uniform? Why did we have JJ clogging up a spot for years before trading him?

The reason why is not everyone has an option on the last year of their contract, whether a team option or player option. Also, money is an issue when you have to dish it out up front plus pay the cap tax hit... You could be looking at 50 mil between the 2 with the salary combo and cap tax. Most players have guaranteed contracts for the entire length.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Let me put it this way to you, if Curry and Jefferies opt out of the last year of their contract, like I said both of their contracts next season is an option year, will the Knicks still have to take a cap hit on their salaries?

LJ4ptplay

Starter

I'm sorry but you're wrong with this one. I don't know how else to say it. Read the previous posts between my self and DANUTZ39.

Plus, you're banking on Curry and Jeffries opting out of their final years of their contracts. That's not going to happen.

Unfortunately we're stuck with Curry until his contact runs out. Jeffries may be traded but that is still unlikely. Translation...the 2010 plan is in serious jeopardy.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Player Option Contracts and teh Salary Cap

I cannot cite a specific CBA provision covering the subject, and I would prefer taking SLY1984's advice and have a Heinekin instead of looking for it, but I believe that under the CBA in either a buy-out or a waiver, the original contract salary years continue for cap purposes.

HomeTheatreGuy makes an imaginative observation. He says that if the last of the contract years is a player option year, perhaps it is treated differently. For example, Curry could opt out of his post-2010 contract year sometime on or just prior to July 1, 2010. Suppose the Knicks were to pay him something for opting out of his last contract year before he exercises his option. If Curry then declines, as is his right, to remain with the Knicks, what if anything will count as "Team Salary" going forward?

My guess is that the Knicks will be stuck with the full opt-out salary amount. It is imaginative, but just too cute. In any event, if it could work to eliminate a last year, someone would have thought of it already.

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Why would the Hawks trade their best player? Why would they trade him to us when we don't have what it takes to pull it off? This is the reason that I don't come to this site any longer, for threads like this. I know that there aren't any big news concerning the Knicks, but the season hasn't begun and what you see on team rosters is what you will see in December. Teams don't trade during training camp and early on the season. And no the Clippers and Knicks trade last season doesn't count since that trade should have been made in the offseason and not after we got to a 6-3 start.

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
I would love to see joe johnson come to NY... I followed him when he was on the bench in phoenix and i watch now more often now that i live in atlanta, and as a huge knick fan i think he is what are team needs and it would still allow us to attract another quality player to build with some of out youth... I say Joe,gallo,lee,chandler and either a bosh or maybe amare(dont llike how injury prone he is) cp3

knicks1183

Benchwarmer
Why would the Hawks trade their best player? Why would they trade him to us when we don't have what it takes to pull it off? This is the reason that I don't come to this site any longer, for threads like this. I know that there aren't any big news concerning the Knicks, but the season hasn't begun and what you see on team rosters is what you will see in December. Teams don't trade during training camp and early on the season. And no the Clippers and Knicks trade last season doesn't count since that trade should have been made in the offseason and not after we got to a 6-3 start.
STFU!!!!!!!!! Maybe because if they don't trade him before the deadline hes going to take his talent elswhere(more$$$)... They already offered him a extension and he denied it for a reason..

Paul1355

All Star
An interesting article suggesting that Atlanta should consider trading Joe Johnson. I would love to see the Knicks put together a trade for Johnson!!
http://hawks.realgm.com/articles/593/200909/should_the_hawks_consider_trading_joe_johnson/

If the Knicks could trade for him, I believe they could sin him after making 2 free agent signings. You could potentially have a starting lineup with Bosh, James, Johnson! NICE!!!

Yea Johnson = No Lebron

You need an all star guard with an all star forward...I'm more content with Johnson and Amare or Lebron and Bosh if you know what I mean.

And i always saw Johnson being a Knick...funny thing is that when i play basketball video games i always wind up signing Joe Johnson on the Knicks lol In all seriousness...Mike and Donnie should go for a top Big man and a top guard.

sorry dude this isnt nba live where you can override the salary or just create your team, do you know anything about basketball? that lineup is impossible.