Is it too early to regret taking Hill?

Do you regret taking Hill?

• Total voters

Red

TYPE-A
On draft night I was talking to my cousin [the college BB guru] about who we drafted (Hill) and as I was trying to justify... He Screamed On Me! He said, "I'm so sick of this... what are the NYK's thinking? He's not a star, there are like 10 guys on the board better for rebuilding etc...." The only response I had was well: We need a big and he was the best on the board (smh) and getting him will aid in the D.Lee negotiations (smh)- and here is a post from Knix blogger web: Taking Jennings would have been a risk, but what draft pick isn?t? Unless you are picking in the top 3 or, in a deep draft, top 5 you?re not guaranteed player who will contribute in year one and become a legitimate star in the league.The Knicks are looking more likely to regret not picking up Jennings when they had the chance. I would have taken Jennnings and Dejuan Blair, a potential star caliber point guard for the future and a blue collar workhorse at power forward (dude had 16 rebs the other night) would have been a nice draft night.Log in to Reply Comment by HaS 2009-10-08 16:24:23 Excuse moi, Dejuan Blair had 19 boards*Stud..**** So I ask did we commit a bo-bo of great magnitude with this dude (that rhymed)? Would you rather Jennings/Blair (or TD) or are you content, and I know its early, and I know I said he is the least of our worries but...

Red

TYPE-A
From Thursday practice

Jordan Hill, on the other hand, looked a little lost. I firmly believe it?s an adjustment thing for him in terms of trying to find spots on the floor where he is comfortable, but he could be a little more aggressive on both ends. On one play he dribbled the ball up off a long miss and had a clear path to the basket. He hesitated, and it cost him a dunk. Instead he awkwardly missed a contested layup.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
lets give him a chance to play lets give him the season before we start calling him a bust or not maybe he is a project but he will show flashes into become a star in this league who knows......lets all stop being stereotypical knick fans ( including myself, though it is hard ) and give our players some time to develop, before we pass judgment we did the same with gallo once he got injured. no one said he was going to come in and dominate, same with Hill, shit it even took Kobe a few years to figure it out and clock some major minutes. lets wait and see before we call Hill a bust, i got a felling he's going to develop into an Amare type player for us. i see the potential

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Had Evans, Curry, Flynn or Rubio (no particular order) were still available when we picked maybe I would regreted the pick. I personally was not high on Jennings(high talent but a head case) and others were not BPA.

I mean Hill put up 18.3 PPG, 11 RPG and 1.7 BPG on .537 FGA% his last year in college so the potential and talent is there and now it's all about his development.

So I want to see him how he develop the next couple years before I jump on him.

the portable man

Benchwarmer
he was the best @ that pick

blair is good for rebounds and layups in traffic, but he can only play PF and we have lee, harrington and jeffries for that

austin daye would've been a nice pick as well, but he'd be taking away minutes from gallo, but then again i wouldnt mind gallo @ sg and daye @ sf, i'd rather have chandler come off the bench for 18-20 minutes @ most

nate, gallo, daye, harrington, lee would be a very deadly lineup, all shooters who can drive and make plays

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Hill instead of Jennings

Perhaps Hill will develop, but we needed, and still need, a point guard. In my view, when Curry was gone, we should have picked Jennings.

An American teammate of Rubio's in Europe, who played against Jennings a couple of times, suggested that they were both very good but that Jennings' freakish athleticism would make him the better NBA player. Jennings could be dynamite in D'Antoni's system. Milwaukee is apparently quite happy with him.

Perhaps Walsh was concerned about some of Jennings' antics. But Jennings will not become another Marbury unless he approaches Marbury in ability. Not necessarily a bad trade-off. Give him a break, he is only 19.

I have a feeling that we are going to end up with Rubio. Flynn has looked very good and Minnesota will likely be bad enough to have a good shot at John Wall.

blair is good for rebounds and layups in traffic, but he can only play PF and we have lee, harrington and jeffries for that

austin daye would've been a nice pick as well, but he'd be taking away minutes from gallo, but then again i wouldnt mind gallo @ sg and daye @ sf, i'd rather have chandler come off the bench for 18-20 minutes @ most

nate, gallo, daye, harrington, lee would be a very deadly lineup, all shooters who can drive and make plays
You have GOT to be high on reefer.:smokin:

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Then why take Hill? He's a PF too. He's 6'9" 232 lbs. Hill is not a Center. At least Blair can contribute this year. Hill won't even get off the bench this year because he has looked so lost in practice and in preseason.

Donnie did say that at the beginning of the offseason he didn't think he was going to be able to sign Lee so maybe he got Hill as his replacement...and he still may be.

Oldtimer is right, we needed a PG and still do. It's depressing to think Duhon is our PG this year and the only half-decent PG available next year. Great! Duhon the Knicks PG of the future!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Then why take Hill? He's a PF too. He's 6'9" 232 lbs. Hill is not a Center. At least Blair can contribute this year. Hill won't even get off the bench this year because he has looked so lost in practice and in preseason.

Donnie did say that at the beginning of the offseason he didn't think he was going to be able to sign Lee so maybe he got Hill as his replacement...and he still may be.

Oldtimer is right, we needed a PG and still do. It's depressing to think Duhon is our PG this year and the only half-decent PG available next year. Great! Duhon the Knicks PG of the future!

Remember Channing Frye, and Micheal Sweetney? Those were two players who contributed right away -with Frye making the All Rookie Team and finishing 4th in the rookie of the year running- now where are they? Instanct impact does not always mean that you took the right player.

Now look at Andrew Bynum as an example of a player who can learn the game and come on strong. Greg Oden is still thought to be a player who could be a force despite two disappointing seasons.

Hill is a hardworker, which means he will be as good a player as he is capable of, now how good that is, we'll have to wait and see, but what we see now will not be all we get from him.

Brandon Jennings has already shown that he has a life size ego! We dont need another player like that! He is very talented, and could be an All Star, but his personality thus far reminds me too much of a certain PG who wore number 3!

Plus, with some a lot of work and some luck Douglas could be the PG of the future for us:crossfingers:

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Remember Channing Frye, and Micheal Sweetney? Those were two players who contributed right away -with Frye making the All Rookie Team and finishing 4th in the rookie of the year running- now where are they? Instanct impact does not always mean that you took the right player.

Now look at Andrew Bynum as an example of a player who can learn the game and come on strong. Greg Oden is still thought to be a player who could be a force despite two disappointing seasons.

Hill is a hardworker, which means he will be as good a player as he is capable of, now how good that is, we'll have to wait and see, but what we see now will not be all we get from him.

Brandon Jennings has already shown that he has a life size ego! We dont need another player like that! He is very talented, and could be an All Star, but his personality thus far reminds me too much of a certain PG who wore number 3!

Plus, with some a lot of work and some luck Douglas could be the PG of the future for us:crossfingers:

You are right and I agree 100%. I wonder how can ppl say now Blair when nobody touched him in the first round. He has talent but his knees is a major problem. Daye is even more raw than Hill and skinier than a stick. He will need couple years just to bulk up a bit. As for Jennings I said the same thing; kid has major talent and even bigger ego. Maybe he will get it together in Milwakee not like the player the Bucks drafted in the 1996 draft. That will be just a waste of special talent.

Red

TYPE-A
Honestly IDK what to think about this dude Hill. I mean at this point of rebuilding and with limited picks/resources you have to maximize your opportunities. Was he picked A) b/c he was the best player available? If that were true his numbers & scouting report should reflect that. or B) b/c Walsh wasn't going to resign Lee, in that case why resign Lee? or C) Walsh/D'Antoni don't know what we need or what they're doing? My point being at the number he was picked (and compared to other options) this "asset" should have been more than a "P"roject or "P"ussy don't you think. At a point last season I felt with every1 healthy if we added a low post presence-shot blocker-maybe 10-12 pt per game we could compete this year. So I felt either draft a immediately valuable big or trade the pick, and use the Lee/N8 money. Was I buggin or what? I'm repeating myself but if our MAIN GOAL for this year isn't to make the playoffs then why resign Lee/N8 for 1 yr, why make the moves we made and squander the little asset we had? We are building for the future I get it but... in 2010 and beyond we want the playoffs right? So why make a pick like that when there seems to be like over 5-10 better players. Can we really afford to pass b/c of personalities? Who cares, don't most stars come w/ ego's? What kind of coach would rather lose (in his first 2 yrs) instead of dealing w/ the inevitible ego? No excuses Mike D.... win or be out!

Red

TYPE-A
I'll admit I'm not into college ball that much... but from what I keep hearing/reading this n!gga Hill is DO-DO! Granted everyone needs some coaching and development but Mike D seems to produce by adhering to SSOL instead of developing skills. If he were good at coaching skills up (instead of the system hype) wouldn't Lee learn D? or Jeffries have been better etc... it seems Mike D's system brings out potential more than his coaching and development skills. That said wouldn't a player who already possesses the skills be better- that way he can be maximized with little development? Just saying, I'll be patient and hope for the best but this dude got me SMH! Hill & D'Antoni

Kiyaman

Legend
Jordan Hill have "Potential", and was the best pick at his selection.....the Knicks just dont have a bigman coach to correct Hill's rookie mistakes like keeping the ball above his chest after a rebound, the direction to move towards after he picks for his guards to get a pick n role, his fade away jumper need more work, his IQ is very high on halfcourt defense, and he will have to put more energy in his hard hustle at becoming the teams "put-back" player on the offensive boards will have the fans get him out of Dantoni's dog house.

It would have been nice if the Knicks would have signed a veteran PF/C (Rasheed Wallace) to help guide Jordan Hill throughout his rookie season.

As much as I like Jennings.....the Knicks were/are weak at SG and Center.
The Jordan Hill selection became a decent back-up at PF for David Lee.
The Knicks could've bought 2nd round pick Blair for $1M bucks, but the rumors of his ACL surgery in HS made everyone skeptical, especially a running team. The Spurs are a half-court team inwhich Blair has a future with.

Scribbles

Rotation player
DuJuan Blair was someone we should've picked up by trading down. Especially since both of your main targets were gone.

Somehow I think they were naive and just said **** it, pick the next projected pick.

People are talking about Hill being a hardworker, Blair is coming off a severe injury...

He is going to be malicious years to come.

Jordan Hill, at best, will be Mikki Moore.

TD + DB = NYC Basketball.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
DuJuan Blair was someone we should've picked up by trading down. Especially since both of your main targets were gone.

Somehow I think they were naive and just said **** it, pick the next projected pick.

People are talking about Hill being a hardworker, Blair is coming off a severe injury...

He is going to be malicious years to come.

Jordan Hill, at best, will be Mikki Moore.

TD + DB = NYC Basketball.

Mikki Moore at best? ............Really? ..........Wow you really have no respect at all for Hill. Moore went undrafted after he averaged 8.6PPG and 5.8 RPG in 4 years of college. He had no potential (what you see is what you get) that s why he went undrafted and played for 8 NBA teams and some stints in CBA, NBDL and overseas. Do you really see Hill having worse (or at best the same) career?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
After 2 pre-season games? **** yes it's too early. Are you from Siria? Are u serious? Give the kid a fighting chance. He's renowned for his ethic and determination.

You're a hard man to please.