Toney D: Draft Steal

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Why can't anyone want him to turn into our future starting SG?We need a point guard, but let's not try to make out what players SHOULD be.Let him be him.I want him to develop his passing and decision making for his teammates, but that doesn't mean he has to be a PG.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Toney Douglas fits in as more of a combo guard than as a point guard. He's somewhat short to be a shooting guard, and his passing/court vision isn't that great for a point guard. But anything's better than Chris Duhon.

And Toney Douglas might just end up surprising us. If he ends up legitimate scoring threat as a point guard, we could have a pretty good pick on our hands considering he was pretty much a 2nd round pick

CoolClyde

He's backup Material!

Look we are all desperate for an All Star calliber player to the point where if a young player runs off a string of nice games he is "the future of the team" (see Bill Walker for a current example, the before mentioned Mardy Collins and Balkman for past examples)

LJ stated Mardy Collins 2.0, I think more appropiately we could tag him Frank Williams 2.0!

I think if we put a good enough team on the floor Douglas is good enough to run the point, but as much as we all want it to happen, he is not going to be a game breaker!

Just like Danillo, when teams start focusing in on him defensively then we'll see what he is made of.

I like Toney though, so this isnt a hate reply....but it is a realistic one!

I have to disagree with you, with the amount of minutes TD received this year, to what he's accomplished these last 3 games as a starter, he's achieved far more than Frank Williams or Mardy Collins had in their entire Knick careers. With his defensive prowess, major hustle, and knack for hitting clutch 3-pointers, TD reminds me more of a return to the Charlie Ward/Chris Childs style of play. I like him a lot, besides, he's SO MUCH BETTER than DuNone or Power Serge, he deserves starting PG position, whether he's pure PG material or not. I agree, he's more combo material and could fit in well with another PG/SG, but for now, give the man his props where they're due. No one knows what the future holds til July, let's let Toney Dee ride this one out as our starter.

jpz17

Starter
I wonder if he would work for PG next season with Sergio Rodriguez?

For example:
Douglas
McGrady
James
Gallinari
Bosh?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

Come on JPZ... Are you still clinging to The King? He's not coming...He'll consider it for way too long and keep us hanging and then burn us...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Did you watch the game last night??....was Toney Douglas not the game breaker scoring 14 4th quarter points??....he has taken over at least 3 games in the past month in the 4th quarter....and he has barely played this year....this post is a fail because you are judging someone and ignoring what actually happens in the games...

Toney has ice in his veins and is the most aggressive player on this team on both offense and defense.

With Gallo, he did suffer because teams started playing him up close. But Gallo suffered because he didn't realize until now that he has to play aggressive and drive towards the hoop in order to be effective. Last game Gallo realized this and kept drawing fouls because defensemen are trying to play him so close that Gallo can easily flop or draw a foul....if he plays like he did against Philly then teams are going to have a problem against him.

PUMP YOUR BREAKS COWBOY!

First off I am not failing to recognize what Toney brings to the table, he is good defensive player who does indeed have the ability to knock down shots. I loved what he did for us against HOU. today

Futhermore my reply was actully posted before The Philly game..... yet I have seen enough basketball to know that a string of good games does not equate to a solid NBA career, I mean Renaldo Balkman won at least 3 games for us with his defense and hustle his rookie season and where is he now? Larry Brown called Jackie Butler a difference maker to games on a few occasions his rookie season.

The funny thing is that you point out him playing well despite barely playing this year as an attribute, but Mardy Collins instantly comes to mind here, remember how good he looked at the end of his rookie season, the kid was putting up sick numbers -I think he flirted with a triple double like 3 times- now look at him.

Look I do not dislike Toney Douglas, I would love to be wrong, but I'm just not that easily gassed off a few good games, especially at the end of the season on a team that isnt going anywhere

Best Case

Toney Douglas=Tony Delk (not at all an insult!)

Worst Case

Toney Douglas=Frank Williams

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
PUMP YOUR BREAKS COWBOY!

First off I am not failing to recognize what Toney brings to the table, he is good defensive player who does indeed have the ability to knock down shots. I loved what he did for us against HOU. today

Futhermore my reply was actully posted before The Philly game..... yet I have seen enough basketball to know that a string of good games does not equate to a solid NBA career, I mean Renaldo Balkman won at least 3 games for us with his defense and hustle his rookie season and where is he now? Larry Brown called Jackie Butler a difference maker to games on a few occasions his rookie season.

The funny thing is that you point out him playing well despite barely playing this year as an attribute, but Mardy Collins instantly comes to mind here, remember how good he looked at the end of his rookie season, the kid was putting up sick numbers -I think he flirted with a triple double like 3 times- now look at him.

Look I do not dislike Toney Douglas, I would love to be wrong, but I'm just not that easily gassed off a few good games, especially at the end of the season on a team that isnt going anywhere

Best Case

Worst Case

Lol Mardy Collins was 14 7 7 for like the last 20 games of the season when Starbury had the bonespurs in his ankle or something. He's pretty good now :D but yea I understand your skeptism. I have to side with you sadly though. Don't see him being a star in anyway.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. You can't expect Toney Douglas to put up those kinds of numbers on a regular basis just yet. It took a while before we all realized Darren Collison was the real thing, and indeed Douglas will need to play well next year in order to really be worth keeping.

I mean, we all thought Chris Duhon was pretty decent his first few months here...

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
My take on the whole Douglas thing is this... I am a basketball purist and I can't stand the whole tweener thing... I WANT TO WATCH a PURE POINT GUARD play in NYC the birthplace of great point guards. I don't want to watch some 6' tall shooting guard trapped in a point guards body...i'm sick of that stuff...the Iverson's the monta ellis' the Aaron brooks the Jamal Crawford's.... You just don't win with this type of defeciency when you try and put forth the best team possible. Sure he's performing nice in his little stretch starting right now but it's a flawed success. He's on a bad team and in the last 5 games they played the sixer's twice and barely won both games. Also of note is the Knicks haven't surpassed the 100 point mark in 3 games. They aren't running at all and I know this has to be eating at D'antoni. Mike believes in his brand of basketball and still thinks ssol is a recipe for success and I don't see him bagging his philosophy next year to cater to a 2nd year guard's weaknesses just to let him score his 20 points a game as the knicks put up 92 points in a loss. This team will be completely overhauled this summer. I see only Gallo and Chandler at the very most in the starting 5 next year.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
I also want to make some comparison's of who Toney reminds me of that I haven't heard:

AT best:
Vinnie Johnson
At worst:
Derrick Fisher

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Is Vinnie Johnson supposed to be better than Derek Fisher? 4 rings as a starting point guard sounds nice to me...

Vinnie johnson IMO was better than Fisher and Vinnie won 2 championships in detroit... not too shabby.

his career totals were 12ppg,3.3assts,3.2reb and 1 steal in 24.7mpg

Fisher 9ppg,3.2asst,2.2reb and 1.1 steals in 26.1 mpg...

But Johnson's 2 career years he averaged 15ppg,3asst and 4 rebounds

Fisher's career year 13ppg 4asst 2 reb and he only put up numbers like those once.

AND come on man the microwave is from brooklyn and pretty much started the whole sixth man trend....

Paul1355

All Star
PUMP YOUR BREAKS COWBOY!

Best Case

Worst Case

I dont see him being a star, but def a starter on this team and he is being so UNDER rated right now....this guy shuts down PG's, is one of the fastest players in the NBA, has the ability to drive to the hoop at will because of his speed(which he should always do), and hits any open shot, AND hits most of his shots in the 4th quarter....what is there not to like about Toney Douglas?

I think you think he will be a Chris Duhon part 2....paranoia has sunk in to most Knick fans I know...we have not had PG success in years...Toney has a different mentality from most players on this team...when Toney sees a game going the wrong direction he will take the opportunity for himself to help out and take over...Collins never did that...Gallo rarely does that...Lee has even vanished in some 4th quarters this year....Duhon is Mike D's puppet and jsut drives to pass the ball to the 3 point line or try the pick and roll with Lee a thousand times every game....Toney mixes it up and gets involved when you need a turn around the most....

This is why I think that saying he will be Mardy Collins or Frank Williams is just false judgment and a harsh one in fact.

dre48ny

Rotation player
I'm just glad management purchased the pick from the Lakers, it helps to cope with the loss of Hill.

TD's defense is sick and that right there is worth a lot in a team that doesnt play D for shit. The great thing is that he can put the rock in the hole. He might not be an all-star but he will be solid. The comparisons are a bit too premature i think.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Yeah. You can't expect Toney Douglas to put up those kinds of numbers on a regular basis just yet. It took a while before we all realized Darren Collison was the real thing, and indeed Douglas will need to play well next year in order to really be worth keeping.

I mean, we all thought Chris Duhon was pretty decent his first few months here...

B-I-N-G-O!

Please this is not to disrespect Douglas, I want to believe what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg, but lets be realistic

After all, Sebastian Telfiar has had runs this nice during his career and he is still looking to come of Age in The NBA

New New York

Quiet Storm
I dont see him being a star, but def a starter on this team and he is being so UNDER rated right now....this guy shuts down PG's, is one of the fastest players in the NBA, has the ability to drive to the hoop at will because of his speed(which he should always do), and hits any open shot, AND hits most of his shots in the 4th quarter....what is there not to like about Toney Douglas?

I think you think he will be a Chris Duhon part 2....paranoia has sunk in to most Knick fans I know...we have not had PG success in years...Toney has a different mentality from most players on this team...when Toney sees a game going the wrong direction he will take the opportunity for himself to help out and take over...Collins never did that...Gallo rarely does that...Lee has even vanished in some 4th quarters this year....Duhon is Mike D's puppet and jsut drives to pass the ball to the 3 point line or try the pick and roll with Lee a thousand times every game....Toney mixes it up and gets involved when you need a turn around the most....

This is why I think that saying he will be Mardy Collins or Frank Williams is just false judgment and a harsh one in fact.

I have never made a comment about "not liking" Toney Douglas, like you said what is there not to like about him.

What I am saying to you is that we need to reserve the "PG of the future talk" for now.

Let him do all these things for 50 or more games in a season and then we can talk. I frankly do not think he has played enough to give an accurate assessment on either way.

I like you respect his heart and hustle....it takes more than that, just ask Nate Robinson!