This Loss Proves D'ant is a Horrible Coach

mafra

Legend
Tie game and we opt for a 3-point shot from 4-feet behind the arc? This is what D'ant draws up with 7 seconds left? Pick and roll at the top of the key and then kick it back for a 33-foot shot?

We had like 4 tries tonight with the ball and the game on the line.... We did nada. I know that happens, and I know coach has little talent....

BUT, do we ever see a play called that gets us points? Coming out of timeouts? We saw this a bunch at the end of games last year, iso and chuck.

Any coach worth his salt can take 5-guys and design something on the sidelines that gets his team a decent shot. Heck, I would take the old Princeton back door cut every once in a while.

It just seems D'ant only knows a system.... He has little sense, it seems, to get his team points when they need it. He calls time outs and look what happens? End of regulation (33-foot shot); End of 1st OT (Duhon doing nothing with no options).

This is crazy. No wonder why the SUNS had no half court game in the playoffs.... I do not even think D'ant knows how to draw up a half-court play.

Don't want to be harsh on coach (I want to like him).... BUt playing against CHA.... Tied with the ball and 7 seconds.... A good coach gets his team the win right there! He had 3-4 chances to do it.... We never even got a good look at the rim. OUCH!

TunerAddict

Starter
Tie game and we opt for a 3-point shot from 4-feet behind the arc? This is what D'ant draws up with 7 seconds left? Pick and roll at the top of the key and then kick it back for a 33-foot shot?

We had like 4 tries tonight with the ball and the game on the line.... We did nada. I know that happens, and I know coach has little talent....

BUT, do we ever see a play called that gets us points? Coming out of timeouts? We saw this a bunch at the end of games last year, iso and chuck.

Any coach worth his salt can take 5-guys and design something on the sidelines that gets his team a decent shot. Heck, I would take the old Princeton back door cut every once in a while.

It just seems D'ant only knows a system.... He has little sense, it seems, to get his team points when they need it. He calls time outs and look what happens? End of regulation (33-foot shot); End of 1st OT (Duhon doing nothing with no options).

This is crazy. No wonder why the SUNS had no half court game in the playoffs.... I do not even think D'ant knows how to draw up a half-court play.

Don't want to be harsh on coach (I want to like him).... BUt playing against CHA.... Tied with the ball and 7 seconds.... A good coach gets his team the win right there! He had 3-4 chances to do it.... We never even got a good look at the rim. OUCH!

That wasn't a drawn up play...It was improvised. Watch it.

Paul1355

All Star
Disugsted

have to agree with this.

I am still high on D'Antoni fo how he changed this franchise around into making them a team oriented basketball team with good chemistry. BUT when it comes to game time it seems like he has his head in the clouds. Constantly relying on the three point shot has been my biggest problem since he became coach. 7 second offense is honestly an iso and chuck like you said.

Mike D does not know when to change things up and make his team jsut draw fouls and drive to the hoop and get high percentage shots.

We are one of the worst FG% teams in the NBA and yet we try to make the hardest shots which are three pointers. I don't get it. It's not like we have a bunch of sharp shooters on this team. He is using the wrong offensive plan for these type of players.

With all of our athleticism and speed we should be running rings around guys and playing very aggressive basketball on offense. None of this drive to the hoop and then pass out the open man behind the arc...it happens to often and we lost many games last year because of it.

I am disgusting with this teams consistency to rely on the three.

Dirk

Benchwarmer
Im gobsmacked, how many 3's were jacked up? Why????? Game tied in the last few minutes and we are jacking 3's like we are down by 10. Am i going crazy here???? What am I watching??? We should have won that game by about 30 points.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I agree with all the three pointer comments. Its total bullshit. I think we were down 96 to 98 with like 50+ seconds in double OT, and the knicks rotate the ball on the outside to a somewhat open harrington, who chucks up a three! What kind of shit is that?!

Asimov

Benchwarmer
that last play was a joke. no help d, no communication, just plain loser basketball....just like this team will do 50 more times this season.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I'm not a fan of D'Anoni at all, but I can' blame him for the losses. Not entirely. Knicks have no inside presence. Let's not even talk about David Lee. He's playing out of position which is why he got handled against the Heat by Oneal. Harrington has improved defensively but we need him to put up 20-25 a game. If Harrington, Chandler and Gallo remain consistent this will be our big three. At least for this season. Jeffries should never see the light of day, let alone start. But I understand why D'Antoni started him. If he stated Gallo after that poor excuse of a preseason he would have never heard the end of it. Now it's time to start Gallo.

TunerAddict

Starter
We'll continue to lose as long as Harrington, Robinson, and Chandler continue to chuck three pointers. You guys can't make them, so stop trying. Leave the 3pt shooting to the pros.

mafra

Legend
That's it. Our offense needs either Robinson or Harrington to score for us to have a chance, but to depend on that is to put the ball in the hands of men with zero BBall IQ. They are streaky-selfish players. SO, you have to endure 4-5 losses for that one game they get hot.

NOW, DUHON calling out the team is yet another indictment on the coach. For these clowns to be fooling around shows a complete lack of discipline. Coach D'ant cannot allow that.

To be fair to coach, his offense will never work without his PG. I didn't want Jennings b/c of his attitude but boy did he have a helluva debut. Drafting Hill instead of some guard looks worse every day.

D'ant wanted the Italian, so it wa almost like Walsh was drafting his guy this year. I'm high on Danillo. I actually think (hope) he'll be a DIRK one day. Might take 3-4 years.... Stil...

But, if Walsh drafted Hill regadless.... that was just plain stupid. We did not need another PF. We needed a guard. A SCORING SG or a QUICK PG. You cannot waste a lottery pick on a DNP. How is this going to help the team win this year and attract a free agent?

I've had stomach pain ever since they announced Jordon Hill. He was the one guy I really didn't want.

Paul1355

All Star
I'm not a fan of D'Anoni at all, but I can' blame him for the losses. Not entirely. Knicks have no inside presence. Let's not even talk about David Lee. He's playing out of position which is why he got handled against the Heat by Oneal. Harrington has improved defensively but we need him to put up 20-25 a game. If Harrington, Chandler and Gallo remain consistent this will be our big three. At least for this season. Jeffries should never see the light of day, let alone start. But I understand why D'Antoni started him. If he stated Gallo after that poor excuse of a preseason he would have never heard the end of it. Now it's time to start Gallo.
If Lee is getting dominated, which he is at the 5 because he is a better PF...then start Darko Millicic. Mike D should start him eventually.

He provides a defensive presence and height at the 5 which Lee does not provide and takes pressure off Lee to provide all the inside defense which he sucks at.

mafra

Legend
If Lee is getting dominated, which he is at the 5 because he is a better PF...then start Darko Millicic. Mike D should start him eventually.

He provides a defensive presence and height at the 5 which Lee does not provide and takes pressure off Lee to provide all the inside defense which he sucks at.

I agree. I would go with N8-Chandler-Gallinari-Lee-Darko.

Duhon would be my 1st guard in off the bench; Harrington my 6th man. Douglas the 2nd guard in. Jeffries my defensive stopper.

I would also give Hughes-Hill0Landry their chance to earn playing time. I mean, if my guys fall behind a team like CHA by 20 points in the 1st quarter.... Those bums don't go back in the game.

As key as it is to develop Danillo, so to would it be key to bring Darko up to speed and make him a player (like they thought he could be). He passes, rebounds and can play defense better than what we have. He should start until Curry is ready (then showcase-dump large Eddie).

jpz17

Starter
hahhahahahahahahahahahah wow this topic title is hysterical. almost insulting too.
have you stubborn ny fans ever realized it isn't the coach? we have had so many coaches. they all lose. then, we blame the coach. yay. Isiah is the reason why we sucked. WRONG. we had a horrible team.

and btw, one game doesn't prove crap.

oh. ps.. Mike D'Antoni is the best coach in the NBA IMO. I always thought that. He worked magic in PHX

Paul1355

All Star
hahhahahahahahahahahahah wow this topic title is hysterical. almost insulting too.
have you stubborn ny fans ever realized it isn't the coach? we have had so many coaches. they all lose. then, we blame the coach. yay. Isiah is the reason why we sucked. WRONG. we had a horrible team.

and btw, one game doesn't prove crap.

oh. ps.. Mike D'Antoni is the best coach in the NBA IMO. I always thought that. He worked magic in PHX

Mike D could have worked magic because A) he had Steve Nash, Amare Stademire, and shawn marion which are all better than any player on this team.
B) Mike D is a good coach for very good players...for bad players like the Knicks, he has proven to be bad. Put an allstar on the Knicks and he will be amazing because of the freedom and ability to play offense the way he wants, but give the opportunity to inexperienced shooters then you have shots being jacked up and poor shot selection like what we have now.

We need true skill and all star talent to lead the other players on this team. No one can lead which is why we always make bone head plays. AND Mike D should be teaching otherwise or sit players that play horribly in a certain situation. This team doesn't have a set lineup, you have nothing to lose by playing Jordan Hill, Douglas or Hughes..guys that are not getting playing time at all.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I agree. I would go with N8-Chandler-Gallinari-Lee-Darko.

Duhon would be my 1st guard in off the bench; Harrington my 6th man. Douglas the 2nd guard in. Jeffries my defensive stopper.

I would also give Hughes-Hill0Landry their chance to earn playing time. I mean, if my guys fall behind a team like CHA by 20 points in the 1st quarter.... Those bums don't go back in the game.

As key as it is to develop Danillo, so to would it be key to bring Darko up to speed and make him a player (like they thought he could be). He passes, rebounds and can play defense better than what we have. He should start until Curry is ready (then showcase-dump large Eddie).

I've got to disagree. If you start Darko you might as well start Curry. Darko is a bum. I know everyone is in love with Lee but if he can't start at PF then he goes to the bench in my book. No way would I start Lee over Harrington. Lee couldn't put up 40 if he was on steroids.

Paul1355

All Star
but you agree it is insane to make a topic like this right?
in the first two games Mike D didnt know what he was doing...i agreed with the points mafra made but i do think Mike D can turn it around....I am hoping he will turn it around because his offensive game plan has been horrible.

JPZ, has anything really changed in our offensive approach since Mike D came? Have we not just run up the floor and looked to chuck up three's rather than draw fouls and drive to the basket? We have a very athletic team and we never take advantage of it. We don't have sharp shooters and yet Mike D thinks we do. I do think this style is not the style for these type of players. If we don't play aggressive offensively then we honestly won't win 30 games this year.

Kiyaman

Legend
Celebrity coach Dantoni LOL

The best thing anyone could say about Dantoni is "Dantoni made all the Chicago Bulls Fans happy by turning down the Bulls coaching job offer.".
The NBA new head coach Del Negro was the right man for the Bulls job.
The same way Mark Jackson would have been the right man for the Knicks job.

Celebrity coach Dantoni does not have half the coaching wisdom of what headcoach Del Negro provided to turn the young Bulls players into chemistry winners. PG-Hinrich performance improved 80% of what it was under coach Skiles. Hinrich turned into a point leading combo-guard (taking all the pressure off of 2nd season Derrik Rose).

It's a waste of time to write or even read about any of the Knick players while they are under celebrity coach Dantoni.

The Knicks organization were never a mess.....Isiah Thomas was the F....ing mess (same as Layden).
Walsh & Dantoni did not clean up or make anything better for the Knicks organization (that's a "myth" spreaded by folks that dont know about taking out the "head" and the body will fall.).
Once u get rid of Isiah Thomas favoriticism, pet-player, and weak profile, u clean up 85% of the Knicks mess. The other 15% becomes easy to clean up with 2 lottery draft picks and 2 offseasons MLE with a trade here and there when u have a decent manager and a decent coach.

What we have is a 20 year manager that depended on his head coaches to make the majority of the teams decision-making in trades and draft choices for the team success.

Whats with the name "celebrity coach Dantoni" a year before he became the headcoach of the (30 year uptempo running franchise) Phoenix Suns, its players Joe Johnson, Marion, and rookie Amare, won 2 games in the playoffs vs the Championship Spurs under another headcoach. The Suns lost that series with the Spurs on the selfishness of "shoot-first guards" Marbury & Penny...

Blumatic

Rotation player
Guys relax. D'antoni is a good coach. The elite, no, but good. If you guys were Celtic fans you would say the same thing about Doc Rivers pre-Garnett era.

I think the Knicks are playing their best. And that's the problem. The team as presently constitute are physically incapable to win more 20 to 30 games. Especially that the league knows how to defend us now.

Doc Rivers was a coach of a team that lost 18 games straight, now no one talks about firing him.

Phil Jackson has 10 rings for a reason. They call Larry Brown probably the greatest coach of all time but he has ring. He had that ring because he took over a great team. Other teams have been rebuilding projects.

Look, we five coaches that took over this team since Van Gundy and all five have failed epically.

I don't want to say wait til 2010 but this group of players will never win. So firing D'antoni and bringing in Phil Jackson will not help. It just wont.