Fire D'Antoni!

TunerAddict

Starter
saying public foolishness to the press about his pet-player "Galinari is the best shooter I ever seen", which lead to an 0-3 start this season]

You're a joke. What you just said proved it.

I'm just going to put you on ignore because every post you ever put up just makes everyone who reads it dumber. You've contributed nothing at all here except for being negative and constantly criticizing anyone else who sees something differently.

You use the same old, tired rhetoric over and over again, while contradicting yourself again and again.

Seriously, this is like the Billy Madison part where he tries to relate the industrial revolution to the "little puppy who lost his way." It is just retarded.

Oh, and on Shawn Marion...How well has he done outside of Phoenix? Oh wait, he hasn't exactly done anything but fail to impress. Thats why he has been on 3 different teams in a year and a half.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

I'm just going to put you on ignore because every post you ever put up just makes everyone who reads it dumber. You've contributed nothing at all here except for being negative and constantly criticizing anyone else who sees something differently.

You use the same old, tired rhetoric over and over again, while contradicting yourself again and again.

Seriously, this is like the Billy Madison part where he tries to relate the industrial revolution to the "little puppy who lost his way." It is just retarded.

Oh, and on Shawn Marion...How well has he done outside of Phoenix? Oh wait, he hasn't exactly done anything but fail to impress. Thats why he has been on 3 different teams in a year and a half.

Lets also remember how extraordinarily ordinary Nash was before playing for Dantoni.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I've read everyones post regarding this topic and there are some good points but the reality is that this team doesn't have the personnel to thrive in a SSOL offense. The thing I don't like about Dantoni is that he fails to realize this and apparently cannot implement a different style of play to fit these players. The Knicks have plenty of versatile players that can be used in a many situations but for some reason their #1 go to play is the 3 pointer.

Also, in my opinion even if this team had the right type of players for the SSOL offense it wouldn't result in a championship because that style of play won't win it in the playoffs. The teams that survive in the end all have one thing in common... smart defensive players who contribute to crunch time defense.

clumsy

Rotation player
I disagree...Nash was good on Dallas. I agree with most posters tho Management Failed if anything not D'Antoni. D'Antoni is doing the same stuff he did Phoenix.

You hire a guy to run an uptempo offense and then you get rid of uptempo players or you didn't have uptempo players to begin with. Their plan was probably to give homeboy 5 years to turn it around, cuz it made more sense to hire a halfcourt coach at the time.

Red

TYPE-A
my bad clumsy for a repeat thread... www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100but... I say "Fire D'Antoni" not b/c I feel he isn't a good coach but his style doesn't fit and won't fit. I don't think he should be let go beacuse he is to blame for our mess, I just feel he isn't what we need right now. Only from a marketing stand point he is successful, but for rebuilding, competing, learning, developing and achieving he is wrong. Don't fire him out of frustration but he isn't the right fit- 2nd rate players or not. I agree its more than coincidental the best coaches have the best players but... He Has To Be Let Go and replaced with someone who can do the above. He isn't a facilitator or developer he can't adjust or emphasize defense... that won't cut it PHX 50 plus wins or not!

Kiyaman

Legend

Turner.....u have to be one lost person looking to argue b/c u disagree with Kiya.
I respect everyone opinion but I dont have to agree in my writing.
Just like other members read my shuuut, and write their own opinion.
Its call RESPECT!

Dantoni showed me nothing last season but shooting the 3-ball all 82 games, when certain players (Duhon, Nate, Chandler, Harrington, and Lee) had to ignored Dantoni's style and add their own creativeness which lead to "individual performance" just b/c these players wanted to make lastseason playoff.

And guys like u wrote Harrington dont pass, Chandler dont pass, Nate dont pass......maybe those players were tired of passing to a teammate to shoot the 3-ball.
u are probably the only person that is not tired of this same-ole wide open offensive-set play every time on offense?

Duhon and Lee's "pick & role" was not in Dantoni's offensive playbook, that was something the two players worked on throughout the season.

Everything I wrote is true, especially Dantoni's comment on Gallo being the best shooter he ever seen. Every sports announcer is still shaking their head and looking at the ceiling when the topic come up about Dantoni's comment on Gallo.

CoolClyde

I love the knicks no matter what. But literally, the following consists of Mike D's coaching on the floor:

"Lets go guys, cmon guys, here we go guys, LETS GO LETS GO LETS GO!"

WTF?

Coach D just lets everyone do whatever they want.

The extent of Coach D's play making ability is for Lee to set a pick n roll for Duhon, and if that fails, then it's literally playground ball where each player tries to go one on one, or chuck the ball from 3 land.

Especially in a situation where a team like the knicks have bad players, the coach must take direct control of the team and make them run plays because the knicks can't do it on their own. We have to use strategy to win, but we are consistently going one on one...
If the knicks had all superstars on their team then Coach D's "do whatever" strategy might be more effective. But we don't.

:gony: YEP!:gony:

CoolClyde

People need to wake up and stop blaming Dantoni for having a shitty team. Phil Jackson would not do any better with this squad! The fact is there is only so much a coach can do...I don't remember any coaching mistakes that lost a game...can you?

Truth be told, the Knicks are lacking a legit star who can carry the team night after night and can score or get a stop when needed.

A coach can take lemons and make lemonade but no matter how hard he tries he cant turn it into champagne!

1/2 :gony:
ru trying to say you can't polish a turd?
this team is not THAT shitty, Phil Jackson, or even Mark Jackson,
would do better than Damntoni's 7 Seconds of Hell, no D.
shit on you, man!

I'm kidding, that Metropoop is funny, but ewwww...ing.

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Turner.....u have to be one lost person looking to argue b/c u disagree with Kiya.
I respect everyone opinion but I dont have to agree in my writing.
Just like other members read my shuuut, and write their own opinion.
Its call RESPECT!

Don't waste your time with him, he's just a child.

Red

TYPE-A
Because...

Needless to say the SSOL offensive strategy is flawed, fundamentally and otherwise. It's based on taking an inordinate amount of LOW percentage shots.

If we have the lead WHY WOULD I WANT TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF POSSESSIONS MY OPPONENT HAS BY HOISTING UP MORE SHOTS?

When behind shouldn't a team DRIVE the ball to try and draw fouls, get to the line and score without time taken off the clock?

SSOL IGNORES or at best makes little use of the clock strategically.

Isn't use of the clock fundamentally a strategy.

What coach preaches ignorance of the clock and is successful?

What coach preaches taking LOW % shots and is successful?

What coach doesn't emphasize Defense and is successful?

What coach needs 2 years to figure out who his best players are/were on a bum team?

WIDE OPEN OR NOT...

Mathematically speaking if Team A cannot score at the rate TEAM B is scoring given that Team A is shooting a lower fg% than Team B (say 36% vs 54%) team A can still SCORE the same amount of points as Team B by taking less time off the shot clock therefore increasing # of attempts, thus increasing scoring opportunities and using the three point shot to make for this deficiency.

BTW, when in-bounding and bringing the ball up court players are open all the time, should we just hoist up shots from beyond half court because we are open? I mean why not, at least we can be back on D!

BUT...

By doing so a certain player or tandem isn't always as clear as anyone can be left open or get hot. Normally this is ok but during times of need i.e. to stop/gain momentum or at the end of games there is no clear go to guy.

Since the pace is increased and the scoring differential is higher than normal, more hustle and energy expended is the result. Normally this is ok IF your players are better conditioned than the opponent, but over time most players including your own will subside to fatigue and therefor LOWER their already low fg% during crunch time.

The above is exacerbated by the use of a 9 man rotation- which leads to further fatigue and burn out.

Now mentioning Defense is as quick as saying... there is none. And when there is some, either finishing off the break is inconsistent or once again players are tired and too exhausted to sustain pace.

About the pick and roll, it's one of the oldest plays in BB, should we give Mike D credit for bringing it to NY?

Collectively the above leads to INCONSISTENCY. Some nights, the ones which all factors go right, wins will come, on most, mathematically speaking
losses will mount.

Its only a matter of time. Mike D'Antoni's style while historically has produced playoff teams and all-stars lost in the end due to a myriad of factors. His teams lost, and him losing his job means he lost.

Now being in a different org. with different players it is not reasonable to expect such team to GIVE YOU EACH AND EVERY PLAYER YOU CLAIM YOU NEED TO SUCEED. You MAY be given player TYPES but certain players as an excuse cannot be used as YOU (D'Antoni) were fully aware of the players we had to offer and our cap situation.

All in all, like I said I cant blame Mike D for our ineptitude past or present but from what I see he isn't promoting a winning, formidable brand of basketball that I like.

So I can't wait til' they fire this dude! Not for anyone specific...

Red

TYPE-A
yo mad funny....LOL!

"Had Stephon Marbury stayed longer at the Knicks game Saturday night, he might have broken into a chant: "Fire D'Antoni!"
Marbury had no complaints that Garden security did not let him stay in a first-row courtside seat during Saturday night's home opener, but still has a beef with the Knicks head coach, feeling Mike D'Antoni should be fired in favor of Mark Jackson.
Marbury, the Garden's favorite villain, sat across from the Knicks bench with a video camera. He stayed for the first quarter of the Knicks' 141-137 overtime loss to the Sixers. The Knicks won their first game last night, beating the Hornets 117-111 to move to 1-3.

"They don't play no defense," Marbury told The Post yesterday. "The coaching is horrible. Horrendous. They need a new coach, and I'm speaking as a fan and New Yorker. They say good coaches get the most out of players and win games. I don't see it. Mike needs to coach a team with three All-Stars."
Team president Donnie Walsh hired D'Antoni over Jackson in 2008. Jackson, working as an ESPN commentator, will be at the Garden Friday when the Knicks host LeBron James' Cavs.
"They should give the job to Mark Jackson," said Marbury, who is family friends with the Jacksons. "Why couldn't he get that job? Fresh blood, St. John's alumni. He would've coached defense. Even Herb Williams would've.
"I'm tired of hearing LeBron James may come and be the savior. What about fans who come out, see the game now and pay money to see the games? If he don't come, then what?"- NY POST

hilarious!:rofl:

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/marbury_fire_antoni_8shlR678LJyoBZt8JwQXTN#ixzz0VoF3MkQX

LJ4ptplay

Starter
You people are ridiculous. Who's the best coach in the league right now? Insert him as the head coach of the Knicks. Does anybody actually think he could make this team more than a 30-35 win team?

Face reality people! We do not have a talented team. When Duhon is the starting PG and Harrington is the go-to-guy at the end of games, you're not going to win many games. Tack on no starting SG and no starting C and there's no chance for any coach to win more than 35 games.

We've had two hall-of-famer coaches pass through and still haven't had a winning season. Now we've got a coach that's a proven winner and you all want him gone as well. But ask yourself this...what's been the most consistent thing throughout all these years? Answer: NO F*CKING TALENT!!

An all-star calliber go-to-guy on a team gives you 20 more wins. Where would Cleveland be without Lebron? Where would Miami be without Wade? At the bottom of the league fighting the Knicks for lottery position.

jpz17

Starter
Exactly LJ

The Knicks would be great if they just had one star they could pass to. That is why I wanted AI, or Tmac to play for NY. It would have been for one year and it would be a winwin situation. Drop em if it didn't work out.

Red

TYPE-A
Hey....

I really think that D'Antoni is the problem right now with the team. With out a stronger PG the system can't work. It was one thing when he was in Phoenix but he has to be able to adapt of create a team that matches the style. I must admit he is funny to watch court side tho. I found a gallery of his "many face" on msg. Its good for a few laughs....<!-- m --> http://msg.com/photos/the-many-faces-of-mike-dantoni/slide/1/

Hey... you are "figuremenot" from NYKFP right? I know b/c I just read the same post you copied and pasted. what up? Funny how the same thread was started over there.

Red

TYPE-A
Wake the f*ck up!!!!

Exactly LJ

The Knicks would be great if they just had one star they could pass to. That is why I wanted AI, or Tmac to play for NY. It would have been for one year and it would be a winwin situation. Drop em if it didn't work out.

It has NOTHING to do with making the current squad better or not. IT IS HIS COACHING PHILOSOPHY AND STYLE. His coaching f*cking style!!!!!!!! Do you want (example) LBJ or Wade or who-the-f*ck-ever taking 28 Threes in the forth? Do you want a team when we finally get a big to ignore him and shoot themselves out of games nightly trying to appease the coach? Its his style... if you like it that's cool but seriously when we do get "1 star" as you say, do you think playing like this will work? Motherf*ckers need more time to determine if his style fits? You need to actually see a star chuck unconscionable threes everynight to see or do you know the game already? SMFH!!!!!!

Last edited:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Most of it is on the coach. We have talent. How do you suppose we averaged so many points a game? Because we have talent.

In the past few days I have been thinking about our team more in depth. This style that d'antoni brings will only get us so far (second round of the playoffs and nothing beyond). And once we drop him, we will have to start over because most of the players we have will be molded into system ballers. Run and gun ballers. Guys that will not be able to succeed too well in a half court game.

d'antoni basically has us playing in a style that requires little discipline. Its also a style of play that has never succeeded in winning championships. (Phoenix with d'antoni, dallas and golden state with nelson). Its a style that's not meant to win titles. Its a mothafukkin fact!!!

Red

TYPE-A
Most of it is on the coach. We have talent. How do you suppose we averaged so many points a game? Because we have talent.

In the past few days I have been thinking about our team more in depth. This style that d'antoni brings will only get us so far (second round of the playoffs and nothing beyond). And once we drop him, we will have to start over because most of the players we have will be molded into system ballers. Run and gun ballers. Guys that will not be able to succeed too well in a half court game.

d'antoni basically has us playing in a style that requires little discipline. Its also a style of play that has never succeeded in winning championships. (Phoenix with d'antoni, dallas and golden state with nelson). Its a style that's not meant to win titles. Its a mothafukkin fact!!!

"D'Antoni basically has us playing a style that requires little discipline" exactly you took the words out of my mouth.... Sly my n*gga! I wish dudes would realize this and know we gotta cut the cord ASAP with this guy, he's not good for us. Inflate someones stats, get him traded and move on.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Wait. You essentially said we don't have talent in this thread:

Anyway, out of your four choices, I only agree with the gallo and douglas picks. Lee will ultimately become a bench player in a good team. So if we decide to keep him, expect him to ask for 9 to 12mil for about 4 years. Once the Knicks become a strong team Lee will probably be on the bench, playing as a 10 million dollar reserve. That shouldn't happen. As for harrington, he will become a third or fourth option once we get a star player, so he is expendable. Plus, he's already 30+ y/o and committing stupid mistakes (hanging on the rim like a "baboon", remember? Lol).

The two other players that we should keep are:

Nate and chandler.

Young role players (at the moment) that can become stars. One is an elite sixth man and the other is a defensive wing player who had a pretty good year last year. Ok, so wilson is sucking(no homo) early on, but he is coming off of surgery, so its to be expected. Both players are cheap though, so getting rid of them is easier than getting rid of other money hungry players.

Which is it? Do we have talent or not? I would argure the reason we score so many points is because of D'Antoni's system not because we have talent.

We all knew this was another throw away year. You people calling for D'Antoni to be fired already are the worst. Hey...WAKE UP PEOPLE...WE'RE STILL REBUILDING!!! THIS TEAM F*CKING SUCKS!! I've been saying this all offseason...that they would be the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the east...but no...you people thought we could make the playoffs. Get a grip. This team is awful.

D'Antoni's system is already proven to win. He was 1 game away from the finals that was stolen from him because of refs (see what Donaghy said and tell me that aint f*cked up). And we all know the Suns would have beaten the Cavs in the finals that year.

So don't say that style can never win. You get the right players and the style can win. And that's what Donnie is trying to do now. Rebuild the team with players that will fit in D'Anotni's system + 1 max-all-star.

mark jackson needs to take it over. either him or jeff van gundy. no one else.

HA! You actually think Mark Jackson could win more games than D'Antoni? With the group of losers we have right now?

Since all of you think we have so much talent and would be winning if it wasn't for D'Antoni...somebody please name 1 player on this roster that would be a starter on a good team...name 1.