Monta Ellis to NY? Would you?

mafra

Legend
From Rotoworld.com:

Monta Ellis' status with the Warriors could be determined when his agent meets with team management on Thursday, and the result could be a trade.

Multiple sources say that the Warriors, at coach Don Nelson's urging, have contacted other teams about trading Ellis, and it now appears likely that formal trade talks could come to fruition Thursday. Ellis and Nelson's relationship has nearly completely deteriorated, with Nelson telling Ellis, who was addressing the team in an attempt to be a leader, to 'be quiet' being the final straw. The Warriors will have just seven healthy players for Tuesday night, meaning almost all of them are worth holding right now.

Source: Mercury News

AND

http://www.theknicksblog.com/

I love Ellis? skill set. If the Knicks want speed, Ellis is a Ferrari. He claims he?s asked for a leadership role that Don Nelson has frowned on (he said he said) and one thing?s for sure, whether it be Al Harrington, Ellis, Stephen Jackson and yes, even Stephen Curry, Big Nellie is causing big problems out west.

Mike D?Antoni said it today when talking about Allen Iverson. The coach noted that if they?ve stuck to the plan this far, why mess with it now? But judging from what is very obvious, D?Antoni is really struggling.

Which leads me to Ellis. Common sense may suggest that the Warriors can get a better deal elsewhere, but look who they got for S-Jax. A big, slow shooter and a player who probably won?t play one second for them.

Jackson is the goods. Jax is a major favorite, as a person, of Donnie Walsh, the GM said so yesterday while chatting with reporters yesterday.

I understand some think that acquiring Ellis would dip into 2010 funds. But I have a deal that solves that.

So if the offer is Larry Hughes, I?ll pass. That adds $11 million to the cap and puts even more pressure to deal Eddy Curry and Jared Jeffries. A Hughes and Wilson Chandler swap for Ellis and Randolph (whom Walsh was and is all about in last year?s draft, but was leery about his frame- that?s for you main man Mucha) changes things, but then Golden State may just close it?s doors.

Walsh is a fan of Ronny Turiaf, said so today in practice ironically in conversation with reporters, so here?s where things could get interesting.
Would Cuttino Mobley?s expiring and Wilson Chandler entice the Warriors to take back Eddy Curry? In exchange, the Knicks would get back Turiaf ($4 mill per), Ellis and Speedy Claxton?s expiring?

This would save the Warriors a ton of money and give them a 30 minute a night player young player in Chandler.

For the Knicks, and let?s face it, the odds of moving Curry before July 1st are as slim as they hope Curry can eventually be (he?s doing a nice job but realistically can?t ask for much more.)

But, Tommy, this will affect the 2010 cap number right?
Barely.

Ellis and Turiaf combined make 15 million next year?Curry and Chandler? $13.4 a difference of (cue Bob Barker) $1.6 on the books for next year.

The Knicks have to move on this as according to reports in late November, Mobley?s contract officially comes off the books. Which is great, because the Warriors won?t be owed. If this is the case, talk about loopholes and timing. If that isn?t the case, because you need a law and medical degree to figure out Mobley?s situation, Darko works instead.

And the team can still deal Jeffries along with maybe David Lee and Nate Robinson, the remaining contracts for 2010.

Now, taking Curry is a long shot and likes his bigs to be able to shoot (see Vladdy Rads), but a healthy Curry would make sense along side Andris Biedrins.

Dealing Chandler would open up the four spot for Gallinari and Al Harrington.
Makes sense, no? But why would the Warriors help the Knicks you ask? How about helping themselves shave roughly 45 million dollars in salary off their books?

Some may think getting Ellis, who has had some problems but nothing too crazy, may be a risk. But were talking about a player of immense speed who would force the defense to react and who can lock it down on the defensive end. To be fair, I don?t think the roster means much to a major free agent, but this would be a sign that they aren?t accepting the current fate and may make the coach?s nightly mangia-fest go down easier with that glass of red.
I don?t see this as a one-sided situation for the Warriors, who get a better talent in Chandler, this year, then they got from Charlotte for Jax.

And essentially the team is trading Curry?s cap room for the perfect D?Antoni- hot rod guard in Ellis. Obviously, it commits them down the road, which may not be something Walsh is interested in entertaining.

mafra

Legend
(UPDATED):) Multiple sources say that, apparently at Don Nelson’s urging, the Warriors have been calling teams and offering to trade Ellis in recent days.

It is likely that their efforts will only intensify, barring some 11th-hour peace treaty. Ellis has four years and $44M owed to him after this season, but several sources say that he will be less difficult to trade than Stephen Jackson was.

And it seems inevitable that Ellis will be traded, presuming that Nelson remains in power, and every source I’ve talked to believes that Nelson will remain in power.

Ellis’ grievances with the Warriors date to their handling of punishment for his scooter accident and to concerns about Nelson’s commitment to him as a player and to Rowell’s decisions as the team’s No. 1 executive.

(Including personal promises made by Rowell to Ellis and Stephen Jackson at the end of last season that the Warriors would upgrade the roster significantly in order to make sure this year is not wasted.)

But the latest developments, reactions, and red-hot trade talk, stem from 2 recent events, one public, one not:

* Two sources say that Nelson embarrassed Ellis when Ellis tried to step into a leadership role in the aftermath of the 28-point home loss to the Clippers on Nov. 6.

The sources describe the scene in the post-game locker room: Ellis, as a co-captain, began loudly addressing to his teammates, telling them that this performance could not be tolerated.

But then Nelson came into the room and told Ellis to be quiet.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2009/11/17/elliswarriors-situation-set-to-hit-full-boil-at-thursday-meeting-trade-inevitable/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29&utm_content=Twitter

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yeah, I've been saying this for weeks now. If we can include Eddy in the deal somehow, we still maintain our sap space for next year and also lock up a needed position for the future.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling Donnie has a one-track mind right now. He's only thinking expiring contracts. There is no way Curry can be traded for an expiring contract by February. It's not going to happen.

Deals need to be made for the future...sooner rather than later. If we go into free agency next year with Curry, Jeffries, Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and Hill as our roster, no free agent will sign with the Knicks. We'll be left with the 2010 scraps or just signing Lee, Nate and Harrington again (and no starting PG). I don't think I could tolerate another season of the same roster.

mafra

Legend
Yeah, I've been saying this for weeks now. If we can include Eddy in the deal somehow, we still maintain our sap space for next year and also lock up a needed position for the future.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling Donnie has a one-track mind right now. He's only thinking expiring contracts. There is no way Curry can be traded for an expiring contract by February. It's not going to happen.

Deals need to be made for the future...sooner rather than later. If we go into free agency next year with Curry, Jeffries, Gallo, Chandler, Douglas and Hill as our roster, no free agent will sign with the Knicks. We'll be left with the 2010 scraps or just signing Lee, Nate and Harrington again (and no starting PG). I don't think I could tolerate another season of the same roster.

Amen! We basically have a 24-hour window where we can deal from a position of strength! How so one may ask?

We can use Iverson as a bluff. We can basically feign interest right now by hinting at a PLAN-B (notice how we leak news we are interested in AI today).

With this rumor, DW can use this when negotiating with GSW. Who else (who needs/wants GSW) is that interested in pulling something else immediately?

GSW just made one deal, so they may want to dump Ellis and move on with life. I would say ORL is a possible trade partner, but what do they have that GSW wants?

The biggest hurdle is Curry though. He hasn't even played a game.... BUT, if we showcase Curry tomorrow in INDIANA.... would that be enough to make a deal?

We made a deal about this time last year with GSW. Sure Chris Mullins is gone.... BUT, we can offer less talent (say just financial freedom in Mobley's contract if they only take Jeffries; or we can offer more talent.... say Chandler if they're willing to take on Curry's contract).

WALSH has to consider this. You cannot pass on Ellis b/c of his 2010 money. Ellis would be a MUCH BETTER fit than AI. Not to mention the kid is looking to be a leader.

GO GET MONTA ELLIS. As long as you trade Jeffries or Curry it should work.

LIKE SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED. Knicks do not need to sign TWO max contracts to win. If they sign Lebron and still have cap space.... they can TRADE for a guy and absorb the money. Say like a Chris Paul? Who knows.

mafra

Legend
I'm sure GSW would love to exile Ellis to a losing franchise like NY. Just like how they sent Jackson to CHA. As long as they get to save a bunch of money.... they might be willing to take on a guy like Curry for a year if we toss in Chandler.

mafra

Legend
I don't really like him. Whats different between him and Nate?

Ellis is averaging 19 ppg, 5 apg, 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 steals & 1.8 TO. He's 6"3' - KEY IS: his overall game seems to get better each season.

SO.... N8 is a half-foot smaller for starters. Isn't the PG Monta Ellis is (not that Ellis is a pure PG either though). Still, N8 averages 1 more TO per game. ALSO, look at rebounds, assists. AGAIN, Ellis is better.

Not to mention getting Ellis means we get rid of Curry or Jeffries. Having Ellis in 2010 is better than having Curry or Jeffries. At least he plays a position of need and could contribute.

SURE.... the 11 million hurts. BUT, let's be honest.... If KNICKS sign Lebron, they aint getting another mac guy anyway. PLUS, maybe having Ellis makes it easier to recruit LJ?

BUT.... it might come to this: Only do this deal if they take Curry. If we're going to be stuck with 11 mil on the books in 2010.... better have Ellis over Curry.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Is Ellis a solid passer?
Is Ellis a solid shooter?
Do we get rid of Curry AND Jeffries in this trade?
Do we exchange David Lee and Anthony Randolph too?
Can we find a way to get Anthony Morrow?

If the answer to all these questions is yes (#5 would be nice, but not a necessity), then sure, why not.

Ellis
Douglas
Gallo
Randolph
Darko

Not as bad as what we got now.

KBlack25

Starter
Not a Monta Ellis fan, and he isn't what the Knicks need. Only consider a trade if we lose Curry and/or Jefferies in the deal...

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
if the knicks could somehow pry anthony randolph away from the warriors id do the trade in a heartbeat. hes in nellie's doghouse, but the warriors are still super high on him. i know its doubtful, but this randolph guy has a shitload of talent. i mean a shitload. he is nowhere near reaching it, and he might not even reach it. but if had the chance to develop some1 like him id take the risk. heck id trade jordan hill for randolph. i know the warriors had some interest in hill, they just had stephon curry higher.

mafra

Legend
if the knicks could somehow pry anthony randolph away from the warriors id do the trade in a heartbeat. hes in nellie's doghouse, but the warriors are still super high on him. i know its doubtful, but this randolph guy has a shitload of talent. i mean a shitload. he is nowhere near reaching it, and he might not even reach it. but if had the chance to develop some1 like him id take the risk. heck id trade jordan hill for randolph. i know the warriors had some interest in hill, they just had stephon curry higher.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH... NBA Trade Machine allowed this trade:

Curry-Jeffries-Mobley-Chandler for Ellis-Randolph-Turiaf-Bell

BOTTOM LINE: GSW gets much-needed salary cap relief. They dump Ellis (who has 4 years 44 million left) for Curry. They only have to pay Curry for rest of this year and next. BUT, then they save 22 million in year 2 & 3. NYK get a player who will contribute in 2010 (at same price Curry was) while finally getting rid of lazy Eddie. On top of this, they get Mobley's contract, which will erase another 9 mil from their salary payroll this year (In essence, meaning they have to pay Curry nothing for this year).

In all, taking on Curry & Mobley for Ellis saves GSW about 31 million dollars, while they get rid of a malcontent and banish him to the 1-9 laughingstock NYK in the process.

For that right.... They have to take on Jeffries. BUT, to make it so it wont cost them any money.... Knicks will take back 2 players DW likes in Turiaf & Randolph.

In essence, the 2010 cap doesn't change a bit for NY. BUT, instead of risking it and being stuck with both Curry & Jeffries.... Walsh turns that into 3 players who will contribute in Ellis, Randolph & Turiaf (while also adding youth-potential to go with Gallo). After all, we need some players in 2010 anyway.

Finally, just to make the deal that much sweeter for DW.... GSW throws in Raja Bell. AGAIN, more financial relief for GSW. Knicks geta guy who plays defense (and another expiring contract).

Ellis
Bell
Gallo
Randolph
Turiaf or Darko

Lastly, Knicks might be forced to add one more piece to make this happen (Maybe even a Hill or Douglas).

NOW, Gallo-Ellis-Randolph (and either one or both of Hill,Douglas) is the future. Sell that to a free agent. In essence, we erase Chandler-Curry-Jeffries from 2010 for Ellis-Randolph-Turiaf (and we might even retain Bell at a cheaper price).

GSW also gets a young player in Chandler.

jbalsa2

Rookie
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH... NBA Trade Machine allowed this trade:

Curry-Jeffries-Mobley-Chandler for Ellis-Randolph-Turiaf-Bell

BOTTOM LINE: GSW gets much-needed salary cap relief. They dump Ellis (who has 4 years 44 million left) for Curry. They only have to pay Curry for rest of this year and next. BUT, then they save 22 million in year 2 & 3. NYK get a player who will contribute in 2010 (at same price Curry was) while finally getting rid of lazy Eddie. On top of this, they get Mobley's contract, which will erase another 9 mil from their salary payroll this year (In essence, meaning they have to pay Curry nothing for this year).

In all, taking on Curry & Mobley for Ellis saves GSW about 31 million dollars, while they get rid of a malcontent and banish him to the 1-9 laughingstock NYK in the process.

For that right.... They have to take on Jeffries. BUT, to make it so it wont cost them any money.... Knicks will take back 2 players DW likes in Turiaf & Randolph.

In essence, the 2010 cap doesn't change a bit for NY. BUT, instead of risking it and being stuck with both Curry & Jeffries.... Walsh turns that into 3 players who will contribute in Ellis, Randolph & Turiaf (while also adding youth-potential to go with Gallo). After all, we need some players in 2010 anyway.

Finally, just to make the deal that much sweeter for DW.... GSW throws in Raja Bell. AGAIN, more financial relief for GSW. Knicks geta guy who plays defense (and another expiring contract).

Ellis
Bell
Gallo
Randolph
Turiaf or Darko

Lastly, Knicks might be forced to add one more piece to make this happen (Maybe even a Hill or Douglas).

NOW, Gallo-Ellis-Randolph (and either one or both of Hill,Douglas) is the future. Sell that to a free agent. In essence, we erase Chandler-Curry-Jeffries from 2010 for Ellis-Randolph-Turiaf (and we might even retain Bell at a cheaper price).

GSW also gets a young player in Chandler.

In a heartbeat, only if it was that easy. A combo of Gallo, Ellis, and Randolph is what our young core should be like.

Paul1355

All Star
I don't want Ellis and let me tell you why

I dont want Ellis and here is the only reason and it's a big one....

CHARACTER, Monta has none of it and he reminds me of a punk first class.

Why?

Who tells the press that a new future shooting star in Stephen Curry would be a bad combination in the back court?!?! What a way to ruin a young kid's rookie season by slamming him to the press, feeding him to the wolves. Monta Ellis stabbed Stephen Curry's back with that move, and that is something that a person like me does not forget. Donnie should not bring players like Ellis over here...how is Ellis going to help improve our young players when he has an attitude like that towards Curry? Without playing a minute with the kid, he says that Curry is a bad fit. Ellis is a punk and we should not waste our time and stick to the 2010 plan.

SgtOrange

Benchwarmer
We won't take on Ellis' contract unless we can move Curry. If we do acquire Ellis, I'd like to see us try and grab Randolph (unlikely), Morrow or Turiaf as well. Ellis would be perfect in our system, and imagine if we got Morrow. Gallo and Morrow on the perimeter would really open things up for Ellis penetrating and Lee in the pick and roll. If we have a chance to acquire Randolph I'd have no problem trading a future 1st, Curry + Chandler + Douglas(or Duhon)+ 2011 1st for Ellis + Randolph + Morrow? Doubt GS would do it, but if they really want Ellis out. Plus Randolph has been complaining a lot too and he's been getting limited minutes.

SgtOrange

Benchwarmer
I dont want Ellis and here is the only reason and it's a big one....

CHARACTER, Monta has none of it and he reminds me of a punk first class.

Why?

Who tells the press that a new future shooting star in Stephen Curry would be a bad combination in the back court?!?! What a way to ruin a young kid's rookie season by slamming him to the press, feeding him to the wolves. Monta Ellis stabbed Stephen Curry's back with that move, and that is something that a person like me does not forget. Donnie should not bring players like Ellis over here...how is Ellis going to help improve our young players when he has an attitude like that towards Curry? Without playing a minute with the kid, he says that Curry is a bad fit. Ellis is a punk and we should not waste our time and stick to the 2010 plan.

That was a bush league move, but in all fairness he was right, playing those too together would be a defensive nightmare for Golden State. You also have to take in account that the Golden State organization has reportedly done a bad job of handling his injury but he does seem like kind of a punk.