Walsh will reach Isiah status if he doesnt obtain Tracey McGrady

metrocard

Legend
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/62903/20091120/report_mcgrady_upset_with_rockets/

Tracy McGrady and Rockets coach Rick Adelman had a heated closed-door meeting on Wednesday night, sources told Yahoo1 Sports.

McGrady dressed in his uniform and underwent his pregame routine in Minneapolis on Wednesday even though he wasn't activated for game.

Adelman was surprised to see McGrady dressed when the star returned to the locker room and a meeting between the pair took place in the coach's office soon after.

Sources said the exchange was so loud that it could be heard in the locker room at times.

McGrady reportedly feels as though Adelman has been uncommunicative as of late.

"Tracy was just determined to make Rick talk to him," a source close to McGrady said. "That?s why he put on the uniform and went through all that. ... He wanted to get his attention. He'd like to know if he's wanted back or not."

McGrady had major knee surgery in February and has been itching to get back on the court.

"The trust has broken down between them," a source close to McGrady and Adelman said. "There's some work to be done there."

T'Mac has the biggest expiring contract in the NBA.
Another brightside is that he can relift his career in New York

Houston needs a center with size since Yao is out for the season. Curry is that guy with all the potentional and doesn't even need to play defense(he can't if he tried) because Houston's frontcourt is so strong defensively.

Check this trade out

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5292498

Knicks send

Nate Robinson
Wilson Chandler
Jared Jefferies
David Lee
Eddy Curry

Rockets send
Tracey McGrady
Chase Budinger
Brian Cook
2010 1st round pick
2011 2nd round pick

Rockets
PG - Brooks/Lowry/Robertson
SG - Ariza/Taylor
SF - Battier/Chandler
PF - Lee/Landry/Hayes
C - Scola/Curry/Anderson

Why for Houston? They get 4 productive young players in Curry, Chandler, Robertson, and Lee...instantly boosting their offense and balancing out their team...increases more depth since Houston is a very injury prone team.

Knicks
PG - Duhon/Douglas
SG - Hughes/Budginer
SF - McGrady/Harrington
PF - Gallinari/Cook
C - Hill/Milicic

Why for Knicks?
They drop all of the players Isiah has touched, breaking the Knicks free of the Isiah Thomas curse and opening the door for the Knicks to enter the promise land of success.

Drop two ugly contracts in Curry/Jefferies, get rid of overrated talent like Robinson, Lee, Curry.

In return, get a superstar talent, and underrated sharpshooting rookie in Budinger, and add a legit 3pt shooter in Cook

In 2010-11 you add Amare + Lebron, draft a pg in 2010 Draft (Kemba Walker)

2010-11 Knicks
PG - Walker/Douglas/Duhon
SG - James/Budinger
SF - McGrady/Harrington
PF - Gallinari/Cook
C - Hill/Milicic

IONO, just an idea.

mafra

Legend
From ROTOWORLD:

Tracy McGrady and Coach Rick Adelman on Friday both denied a Yahoo! Sports report that the two had engaged in a heated argument behind closed doors on Wednesday.

McGrady said he put on his game uniform Wednesday, despite having no targeted date to return from a knee injury, because "I was excited. I put it on, like a little kid. It felt refreshing to put it on because it was in sight." Adelman said he simply reminded McGrady that he wouldn't play at least until after his Nov. 23 MRI, and that "We haven't had any arguments. He wants to know what we're going to do." Check back after Nov. 23 for updates.

Source: Houston Chronicle

ALSO, it appears coach D'ant soured on the idea:

"Team president Donnie Walsh seemed sold on Iverson but objections from coach Mike D'Antoni and chairman James L. Dolan swayed the decision. D'Antoni and Dolan cited Iverson's volatility and believed he would be too great of a risk to team chemistry. So much for Iverson giving fantasy teams an unexpected boost next week, although he could end up with another team soon. But the Knicks sure looked like the perfect place for Iverson this season."

Here's the NYT report:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/sports/basketball/21iverson.html?_r=2&ref=sports

James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, was opposed to the move from the start, but had indicated to Walsh that he would not stand in the way if Walsh and D?Antoni were firmly in favor of signing Iverson. But as Walsh and D?Antoni deliberated, they came to the same conclusion. ?We feel like that could hurt our development in the future,? Walsh said.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look Metro I see your vision man, but every trade you propose has us giving Jared Jefferies and Curry in the same deal, we simply do not have any player that good that a team would take on our near 18 million in bad contracts.

Imagine if you were a Houston fan would you take that package?

It is likely that Walsh will not be able to obtain McGrady simply because we do not have much to offer. I mean if Hughes plays at the level he did against Indy for the next 15 games and we throw in Cuttino's contract then I guess it would be possible that they make the trade for financial gain.

Cuttino
Hughes

for

T-Mac

But to reach "Isiah level" it is not about who you dont pickup, but what washed up over paid player you do get!

Which come to think of it.... picking up T-Mac would be more of an Isiah move.

mafra

Legend
I think there's a chance to pawn Curry off on HOU. I hear what you're saying, but there is really a match here.

FOR STARTERS- Mcgrady and his coach "nearly" came to blows the other night. HOU is playing "well" right now. They're trying. They do not want to have T-Mac disturb anything. He'll be dealt. AND, what better revenge than to banish TM to a team like the Knicks?

Secondly, HOU needs a center to fill the void and hold down the paint this year (and part of next year) until Ming is healthy. AND, how knows, imagine Curry and Ming in 2010?

Lastly, Curry's contract only runs one more year. We could send Mobely and that would save them 9-mil. In essence, they would only have to pay Curry for 1 year.

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Metro.. I am down 100% with that trade... I hope and pray every night that something like that would happen.. We would be weak for the rest of the year... Oh wait, We already are weak.

Starks

Starter
I'm all for expiring contracts, but Tmac hasn't been considered a superstar in like 4 years. Plus he should suffer the consequences of the way he acted last season. Mailed it in all season long looking to get traded, then once he didn't like the fact that he wasn't really in demand, he goes ahead an initiates a season ending microfracture surgery 72 hours before the trade deadline. Too many players just dont want to accept the fact that they are no longer the stars of the league and they can't have things there way...(Just like his cousin Vince did to Toronto when he mailed in and admitted he didn't play hard any longer so he can get dealt)

Just like the Iverson scenario, it seems Donnie doesn't want any player getting in the way of the development of the youngsters we have.

For the love of Christ, Donnie better hope he signs LeBron. If we don't get to superstars this offseason, a solid role player (Which I hope Lee would be next year) and a much improved year of development from Gallinari, I don't even want to think about what we as fans waited so long for.

This season is for the diehard Knick fans and basketball lovers. The only thing to root and keep a watch on is to see how the team develops its fundamentals, heart, and teamwork. Don't look at the standings or scoreboard, just look for the 3 things I just mentioned. Thats why only the purest of Knick fans will be watching, because its just not a reality to think we are gona go on a magical run.

I want to see real ball players who love the game of basketball and respect the fans. Players with pride and guys who can function as a team. Thats what I want next season, and it will take this entire season for these guys to finally "get it"

This season is a sunk cost.

mafra

Legend
I'm all for expiring contracts, but Tmac hasn't been considered a superstar in like 4 years. Plus he should suffer the consequences of the way he acted last season. Mailed it in all season long looking to get traded, then once he didn't like the fact that he wasn't really in demand, he goes ahead an initiates a season ending microfracture surgery 72 hours before the trade deadline. Too many players just dont want to accept the fact that they are no longer the stars of the league and they can't have things there way...(Just like his cousin Vince did to Toronto when he mailed in and admitted he didn't play hard any longer so he can get dealt)

Just like the Iverson scenario, it seems Donnie doesn't want any player getting in the way of the development of the youngsters we have.

For the love of Christ, Donnie better hope he signs LeBron. If we don't get to superstars this offseason, a solid role player (Which I hope Lee would be next year) and a much improved year of development from Gallinari, I don't even want to think about what we as fans waited so long for.

This season is for the diehard Knick fans and basketball lovers. The only thing to root and keep a watch on is to see how the team develops its fundamentals, heart, and teamwork. Don't look at the standings or scoreboard, just look for the 3 things I just mentioned. Thats why only the purest of Knick fans will be watching, because its just not a reality to think we are gona go on a magical run.

I want to see real ball players who love the game of basketball and respect the fans. Players with pride and guys who can function as a team. Thats what I want next season, and it will take this entire season for these guys to finally "get it"

The only reason you take on T-Mac is to dump Curry's contract. Heck, you might be able to dump Jeffries along with Curry.

If you act quickly, you can throw HOU a bone by including Mobely's 9 mil deal. SO, HOU would be dumping T-Mac's 22.8 mil salary this year for Curry-Mobley (20.4). However, Mobely's contract would be dropped b/c of the injury.... In essence, it would be T-Mac's 22.8 for 10.5 mil or so this year. They would be getting rid of T-Mac and saving about 12 million dollars. That's some deal for HOU! Sure, they would have to pay Curry 11 mil next year. BUT, they would have an asset in Curry, and something they need (a center until Ming returns).

As for NY, they bring in T-Mac for the season and then are rid of him. That frees up 11 million more next year (which means Lebron + one).

It's a deal that works for both teams.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm not sure about this, maybe somebody can verify, but I think Mobley's contract must be traded by the end of this month or else it's not worth anything.

I think there is a rule that the insured contract only holds its value 1 year after the heart condition was diagnosed. Which would be in the next week or so. Then Mobley would essentialy be a retired player and his contract becomes null and void.

So, unfortunately I think Mobley's contract is going to be a wasted asset.

Too bad. It would have been a nice piece to package with Curry and ease the burden of a team taking on Curry's contract. This makes me think Curry will not (or cannot) be traded.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer

I hear ya bro, I always watch every game unless something serious is happening (usually see at least 78/82) and I always will, even when they get spanked and lose non-stop. That said this is the most frustrated I've been because it seems pretty clear we're not going to look to improve much this season, so I have very little reason for optimism this year. I can look for heart, hustle, teamwork, etc, but so far I'll return mostly empty handed as I haven't seen alot of ass-busting from this group, at least not until their backs are against the wall. Also considering we aren't adding anyone, will probably have a terrible record, won't have a first round pick, and don't really have much now that will attract a star, I find if very very hard to believe many "superstars", most notably L James, will have much interest in signing in NYC. I'm not sold on the fame and fortune from endorsements deal, when you got millions upon millions I don't think that is enough of a factor to overlook everything else. Hopefully I am wrong. And someone else posted somewhere on here that it's a laugh that we are afraid of stunting the development of young players when Douglas and Hill don't even get decent minutes now, Gallinari doesn't get the rock and seems too one dimensional in early reviews, and Chandler looks like no more than a decent 3rd option for a good team. Now I hate to be a pessimist, I think Gallo's skill set is great and he could be great, but right now he hasn't shown me anywhere near enough. Thinking we don't need Iverson or others because we want to let Chandler and Gallo lead is gonna mean me switching from beer to moonshine or everclear

clumsy

Rotation player
Houston would never take this trade. Their whole team is built on shooting the 3, and you giving them 0 pure 3 point shooters in this trade.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
I'm not sure about this, maybe somebody can verify, but I think Mobley's contract must be traded by the end of this month or else it's not worth anything.

I think there is a rule that the insured contract only holds its value 1 year after the heart condition was diagnosed. Which would be in the next week or so. Then Mobley would essentialy be a retired player and his contract becomes null and void.

Too bad. It would have been a nice piece to package with Curry and ease the burden of a team taking on Curry's contract. This makes me think Curry will not (or cannot) be traded.

I believe Mobley's contract doesen't become null or void but it loses value with each game it passes because it save a team that get it now more money than it will save them in february lets say.

In our eyes is a wasted asset but for fkin dolan is actualy a big saving. His contract is 9.5 mill but insurance pay 80% so that's 7.6 mill savings plus after a year from the date a player retires for medical conditions the team that employs him (only) can get his salary off that year cap which means another 9.5 mill in luxury tax savings for Dolan.

That's about 17.1 mill in savings for Dolan so I don't think will see Mobley's contract go anywhere.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Damn man, I hope that isnt the case. I mean a 9 million dollar player could be a major lift for us! But I would hope if that was the case Walsh wouldve been a little more active in trade talks leading up to this week.

But I do remember last year when he retired the reports stating how valuable the contract would be at this year's deadline.....but the media is often wrong!

I think with a little luck we can trade Curry but maybe not this season, I think if he imporves and he keeps his weight down and stays on the court -big ifs-, we could dump him for a couple of second rounders to a team under the cap like OKC after July 1st. To me although OKC is under the cap, but they are not far enough under to land a major FA. Curry would look real good as a role player in the starting five wth Durant an Co.

Paul1355

All Star
Get Mcgrady for just this year

We should get him just for this year.

I was down with getting AI just because we need a leader on this team so we don't give Utah the #1 pick this year.

I am against Mcgrady for long term unless he can play close to a full season. His injuries have been adding up in the past couple of years but he would be perfect for getting in exchange with any of our high priced players like if we can throw in Jeffries or hopefully Curry some day.

Get Mcgrady for this year primarily, and we'll see from there but we should make this move if the reports are true.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I think there's a chance to pawn Curry off on HOU. I hear what you're saying, but there is really a match here.

FOR STARTERS- Mcgrady and his coach "nearly" came to blows the other night. HOU is playing "well" right now. They're trying. They do not want to have T-Mac disturb anything. He'll be dealt. AND, what better revenge than to banish TM to a team like the Knicks?

Secondly, HOU needs a center to fill the void and hold down the paint this year (and part of next year) until Ming is healthy. AND, how knows, imagine Curry and Ming in 2010?

Lastly, Curry's contract only runs one more year. We could send Mobely and that would save them 9-mil. In essence, they would only have to pay Curry for 1 year.

But what do you do w/ Curry when Yao returns? Getting Curry and Mobley helps from a financia standpoint this year, but screws there cap next year, while giving them a player they dont need at all!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Actually Trading For McGrady WILL result in Isiah level

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6732407.html

Sounds like a tale that would be fitting to the charecter of every single big name player Isiah ever traded for.

Houston is better off buying him out..... lets take advantage of them needing to get rid of him! I would trade them Jefferies, Nate and Mobley's contract -if tradable- for T-Mac straight up.

Nate and Jefferies will give them more than what T-Mac is going to give them this year, we save them some dough, and obviously moving Jefferies is the incentive for us to do the trade even if T Mac never plays a New York minute

Paul1355

All Star
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6732407.html

Sounds like a tale that would be fitting to the charecter of every single big name player Isiah ever traded for.

Houston is better off buying him out..... lets take advantage of them needing to get rid of him! I would trade them Jefferies, Nate and Mobley's contract -if tradable- for T-Mac straight up.

Nate and Jefferies will give them more than what T-Mac is going to give them this year, we save them some dough, and obviously moving Jefferies is the incentive for us to do the trade even if T Mac never plays a New York minute
You make a point in giving them Nate...they need a PG to backup Aaron Brooks and lack a good back court. Throwing in Jeffries could work. Maybe if Curry can get up to speed before Yao comes back we can dish both Nate and Curry, that would be good.

mafra

Legend
But what do you do w/ Curry when Yao returns? Getting Curry and Mobley helps from a financia standpoint this year, but screws there cap next year, while giving them a player they dont need at all!

Not really. Look at Ilgaukus in CLE. He was a dominating center in Europe. He lost a FEW years b/c of bad feet. He's been able to get through that and give CLE consistent and reliable production since then.

The point here is that Ying will be best served if HOU takes it slow with him. CAUTION. Curry would be able to provide that for them next year. They wouldn't have to rush MING back right away. They could limit his minutes, and slowly build him up for the playoffs. Ming wont return to form until after next season anyway.

In this sense, CURRY is a perfect fit for them. HOU is actually a great place for Eddy as well. A great marriage for both team and player.

If they act quickly, HOU is able to rid themselves of Mcgrady's 22.5 million this year..... Basically get Curry for free this year, and only have to pay Curry 11 million next year. Not too shabby (plus they get to banish T-Mac to the Knicks).

We'll see. Wont be the end of the world either way.

The season for NY boils down to this:

1- FORCE FEED CURRY. Do whatever it takes to revolve the offense around Curry. Call plays for him, build his confidence. Reward him for his hard work getting back on the court. Let's be honest- he has the most talent on this team. I prefer to watch Curry miss 7-foot hooks than watching Harrington and N8 clank 28-foot 3s.

* Even if we cannot find a buyer by the trade deadline, there's still a shot to trade him before the draft for a 1st rounder. Who knows. OR, if we rebuild Curry (who is still young folks) and get him back to being a force in the paint (18 ppg).... Curry would be an asset in 2010. A guy like Lebron James would bring out the good in Curry. Trust me. James-Curry-Gallo would make for some nice offense.

2- Develop Danillo. The kid is legit.

* I like Hughes b/c he plays defense and seems to be more consistent that the rest of our guards (Duhon, N8). Keep Harrington as that spark plug off the bench. Dump N8 ASAP. Cross your fingers and hope Duhon can return to what he was the first 40 games last year. Let Douglas-Hill get their minutes. Trade Jeffries and get Darko some minutes.

Who cares if we win 24-35 games, right?