Why Does Our Best Shooter Take the Fewest Shots?

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I like Wilson Chandler. I don't like Wilson Chandler when he jacks up threes. He doesn't have a game from behind the arc, it's that simple. He's good when he drives to the basket (ie when he posterized Kevin Garnett last year) and he's got a decent mid-range shot but the dude simply can't hit long range shots. He should stop taking them. Play to your strengths, it's a simple concept.

Chandler's never been a good 3 point shooter and the fact that he takes so many threes should bother you (he can drive to the basket, why the hell doesn't he?)

KnicksFan112

Benchwarmer
With a career three point percentage of 31%, Chandler's three point shot is not great but I think it's average. I agree, I would prefer Chandler drive to the basket more than jacking up three point shots but I'm not sure if his handle is good enough at this point in his career to do so. He really needs a summer to work on that. It's too bad he couldn't work on his game last summer because of injuries.

Paul1355

All Star
Lowest IQ = slow development

I like Wilson Chandler. I don't like Wilson Chandler when he jacks up threes. He doesn't have a game from behind the arc, it's that simple. He's good when he drives to the basket (ie when he posterized Kevin Garnett last year) and he's got a decent mid-range shot but the dude simply can't hit long range shots. He should stop taking them. Play to your strengths, it's a simple concept.

Chandler's never been a good 3 point shooter and the fact that he takes so many threes should bother you (he can drive to the basket, why the hell doesn't he?)

Because he has one of the lowest IQ's in the NBA, seriously. Have you seen more bonehead moves by anyone other than Chandler? I don't think so lol. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed and hearing him in an interview makes me wonder how he passed at Depaul University.
It might take a while for him to develop. He thinks he can shoot his way to becoming a good three point shooter, I guess he has the Chris Duhon syndrome.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yes, I have seen more boneheaded moves. We do have Nate Robinson on our team, after all.

But yeah, Chandler needs to learn how to play better. He's not a TERRIBLE 3 point shooter but it isn't his strength. He can take a three pointer when he's playing against a scrub team that doesn't have good perimeter D, but it isn't the main tool in his arsenal. Yet he treats it like it is...

TunerAddict

Starter
Average 3 pt % is 35%.

Good % is considered 40+

Gallo shoots 45% consistently

Toney D is shooting 38%

Nate is shooting 33%

JJ is shooting 30%

Hughes is shooting 28%

Al is shooting 28%

Marcus Landry is shooting 25%

Wilson is shooting 22%

Duhon is shooting 20%

Seriously...This is atrocious. From now on, only Gallo is allowed to shoot 3s in volume. Everyone else can only do so when wide open for the most part, and Duhon and Chandler should never be allowed to shoot them.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Gallo drills 2 of his 1st 3 shots for 5 quick points in the first minute of action tonight in LA; then he gets 1 more shot (or so) for the rest of the first half?

Duhon-Chandler-Hughes.... These guys don;t even look to pass to the kid?

It's almost like our vets would rather lose trying to pad their stats than win by having this kid go 8-16 from 3-point range?

I don't think they're freezing the kid out but I can't stand watching Wilson chuck up airballs; Hughes & Harrington clank 3s; and Duhon just do nothing but turn the ball over and brick 30-foot jumpers.

GALLO CAN SHOOT guys.... He should be GIVEN 15-20 shots a night. Hard to accomplish that when we have terrible shooters taking every shot, acting like they're all Del Curry.

I wouldn't mind so much if they occasionally drove for a layup.

Then, to make it worse..... after avoiding passing to Gallo for 18 minutes, Duhon finally gets him the ball and he misses it. Surprse. He went cold.

Gallo might have had 40 points if we fed him tonight. Instead, he'll be lucky to get 10 shots.

Good news: Hughes-Chandler-Harrington-Duhon will get 50 attempts!

Mostly they are open jump shots when he makes them, and he has bad hands. Don't think he could handle some of Hughes dishes, nor is he looking for them when he should. All you have is a 6 foot 9 center to get it if he misses, which is 60% of the time when any three point shooter is doing well. But isn't he number one in the league, he must be getting something? Yes, he is the "Knicks future", but I am scared anytime a kid this young has a bad back and you can see it in his game. He is stiff is as a 7 foot board.
Duhon is your point guard with most minutes in the season and fewest points, Chandler is usually down deep. I don't think you can say there is much of any 5 players on the court at one time this year with this coach.
You have to play together (real game time) for about 5-6 weeks. Finally, he is number one in 3 pointers, he is shooting something and gets way too much game time for he is sad on defense. A few years, we will see if he makes it or not, I question the back though. Hughes is not worried about padding his stats with a dozen years in the bank and only 30, he will be at D.C. next year. He should be playing more than Duhon though, there is your big problem this year, too much playing time.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gallo's Back

. He is stiff is as a 7 foot board.
. . . A few years, we will see if he makes it or not, I question the back though.

I have the same concerns. Gallinari rarely bends down and does not dive or otherwise go for loose balls. He even dribbles high. He does not have a decent first step and does not get by anyone who is right in front of him.

I hope it is more psychological than physical and that in time he will move, bend, and dive as he gets more confident that his back (hopefully) is OK. He can and must get stronger but his "quickness," if any, is genetically hard wired.

mafra

Legend
I decided after last night's humiliating blowout (YEAH, SACRAMENTO had an 18 home losing streak against Eastern Conf. teams snapped last night in a game they led wire-to-wire, and led by over 12 points almost the entire game).... I decided that coach D'ant is a horrbile coach.

HEY, I understand we don't really have much talent. I understand in practically every game we play our opponent has the better front court and the better PG. FINE. I get it.

BUT, there are teams (now and in the past) with less talent who are at least more competitive and play with more basketball smarts.

FOR EXAMPLE, this team came prepared and ready to play againts the Nets (they were embarassed they would lose to a winless, crossriver rival) and against BOS (an enemy this team hates).

Why could they bring the intensity for those two games, but then come out flat like they did last night in Sactown?

It's a disgrace to allow the Kings to score 91 points in 3 quarters, get owned in the pain and on the boards. HEY, I get playing back-2-back, and I now most nights are shots aren't falling.... but you still can hustle and you still can defend.

SO.... this is clue #1 that the coach is a serious joke.

BUT, the real reason why D'ant is a joke is his offense.

LOOK, I get on players like Chandler, Harrington, Duhon and all for being lazy and settling for 28-footers... not working the offense for a better shot, or for battling and taking it to the rim- but can we now admit that coach has given up on this team?

It seems like D'ant is fine with this: Dribble up, cross halfcourt, maybe make one pass on the perimeter and chuck up a 3-point shot (even if the people shooting it are terrible shooters and average a low 20% from down deep).

HOW IS THIS AN OFFENSE?

At one point last night we were like 5-27 from 3. Sac announcer was laughing and stated: "They may take a lot of threes, but that doesn't mean they make a lot of them. This is great. Let them keep taking those shots."

The whole idea of SSOL is to maximize your possessions, but does that infer that your team needs 5 possessions to hit one 3 pointer? I'm not Euclid, but according to that math D'ant is a moron.

D'ant doesn't have the talent, the PG or the shooters to run his offense. He should adjust. This cats should be forced to work the ball around, make passes, and take the best shot they can.

How often does the other team score, we take a quick 29-footer, then the other team is off and running. We play no defense, do not rebound and certainly don't want to run.

This is a disaster. I can handle losing. But I can't watch this mess.

paris401

Starter
somebody has to tell 'toni, he aint in phoenix anymore... that's not nash at the point, its duhon, and that tall black guy at power forward is chandler, not amare...

maybe u can adjust your coaching style to fit the players you have, u stupid fuk...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Plain and simple SSOL works when you have Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire on your team.

Replace Nash and Stoudemire with Chris Duhon and David Lee and see what happens

p0nder

Starter
since when do we run any sense of an offense at all??? there is ZERO half court offense! we're a small, supposedly quick team that should be able to run the floor on other bigger teams, but we still need plays in the half court, ASIDE from the bread and butter, pick'n'roll. There has got to be more. I know D'antoni has the plays at his disposal, i watched him run them in Phx. with Nash. Certainly it helped that he had a 3-time MVP PG on his team, but a lot of Nash's success was because he looked to pass first and d'antoni made many plays that opened up other players.

So D'antoni CAN get gallo open, can get him playing time and even with the worst PG in the league can get the ball moved around to him. He just doesn't. I don't know if he's working on a secret book of plays to go along with the 2010 dream roster or what but he is not running this team ANYTHING like he ran the suns.

This is sad.

jimkcchief88

All Star
These are possible reasons why Gallo is not shooting more. Gallo can't create his own shot or he may not have the fitness to get up more shots. Just a thought...

Your screename should be KF101; Hello. Gallo is to big and slow to create his own shots off the dribble. He catches the ball to far away from the basket to do any real damage. If he could learn to develop a post/mid-range game he would be alot more effective.

iSaYughh

Starter
Funny that we can draw up game breaking plays to see Duhon pitifully look to leprechaun a 3....but Gallo can't get these because D'Ant doesn't think he is "quite ready" for that responsibility. Really? Really?? We should be breaking our backs to get Gallo looks, especially in big spots.

Besides the fact that Duhon is expendable riffraff and Gallo is our very future, you'd think that Duhon and Gallo's actual shooting #s would be reversed to somehow justify this inanity.

The only thing more laughably retarded than this faith in Duhon was Isiah's obsession with giving Crawford every big shot thinking he was Reggie Miller.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Fast pace game like Denver, got his clocked cleaned

This guy is too slow, last night was pure offense, and he could not hit the side of the barn. On defense, he got beat every play. He is way too slow for this age. Why is Harington sitting on the bench for the first 5 - 7 minutes when he can drop 40 points in and help Lee under the basket? Chandler isn't hitting anything, bad on defense. A 12 year veteran of the game and one of the oldest on the team, although only 30 has to take the tough assignments, Lebron, Kobe, Melo but gets pulled for no reason after 10 minutes. Yet he still is in the top ten in the league for steals (Hughes).
Duhon plays more minutes this season than Rondo for Boston and the top Knick for minutes? How about points, he is near the bottom of the bench players.
This team is loosing some games to coaching, no doubt about it. Maybe the first couple weeks I thought he was making a statement, now into the second month I don't know if he even knows what he is doing.