Bender Reality Check time....already!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Bender looked good and there is some signs that we should be happy about, but how he played against the Clippers is not what we are going to get.

Because truthfully tonight's play was better than anything he ever showed in his previous playing career

In fact what we saw in the 4th once he settled down -dribbling off his leg, and getting caught out of position on D- will likely be what we get from him for the better part of the season.

So put the Threads on hold with us trading Gallo simply because we have Bender or talking about Bender being the "comeback player of the year", he is going to show his rust in the coming games.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Bender looked good and there is some signs that we should be happy about, but how he played against the Clippers is not what we are going to get.

Because truthfully tonight's play was better than anything he ever showed in his previous playing career

In fact what we saw in the 4th once he settled down -dribbling off his leg, and getting caught out of position on D- will likely be what we get from him for the better part of the season.

So put the Threads on hold with us trading Gallo simply because we have Bender or talking about Bender being the "comeback player of the year", he is going to show his rust in the coming games.

us trading gallo because bender is here?? wtf? who said that shit? im hoping that he can give us a solid 15-20 min off the bench after he loses some rust, nothign more.

ANU

Starter
lol.the guy hadn't played in four years, his first game back and its all down hill from here?got to see it to believe it.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
I think Bender will probably play a role similar to what Jefferies is currently playing, although probably off the bench. We've been hearing for a while now that D'antoni likes what Jefferies does for the team as far as intangibles and defense. So, when Jefferies gets traded (hopefully) Bender can maybe step in and play that role off the bench.

Paul1355

All Star

anyone who can play like that at 7 feet should be getting minutes on this team.

Atleast Bender is a legit Center that can make David Lee better because Lee has to play PF this season so he doesnt get destroyed.

The guy has not played in 4 years so lets see if he really is what you think he is from his previous career....4 years out of the game can make a player change his style.

mafra

Legend
I think Bender will probably play a role similar to what Jefferies is currently playing, although probably off the bench. We've been hearing for a while now that D'antoni likes what Jefferies does for the team as far as intangibles and defense. So, when Jefferies gets traded (hopefully) Bender can maybe step in and play that role off the bench.

I totally agree.... Bender is here for three reasons:

1- Walsh plans on trading Jeffries) he hopes and Harrington or Lee. Bender will fill a role (given we'll need his potential upside if we get rid of AL or David).

2- A test run to see if he could be a nice, vet, cheap back-up option to compliment a team that brings in some heavy hitters.

3- We stink and Walsh like shim and wants to give him a shot, and saw enough to know he still has game.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul

Props to Bender.

See what I did there?

Lol, if he and Jeffries can keep this up, we will have a more steady defense. Not an amazing one, but not bad at all.

tiger0330

Legend
anyone who can play like that at 7 feet should be getting minutes on this team.

Atleast Bender is a legit Center that can make David Lee better because Lee has to play PF this season so he doesnt get destroyed.

The guy has not played in 4 years so lets see if he really is what you think he is from his previous career....4 years out of the game can make a player change his style.
Bender is a SF as it was pointed out to me. Yes, it was only one game but if he plays like this the rest of the way, I could see the Knicks winning a lot more games. His height and skills open up some possibilities for D'antoni, sub him in for DLee when he needs a blow instead of Curry. With him in place of Curry, the Knicks go "small" without losing any advantage in size.

smokes

Huge Member
The nice thing about Bender is even though he hasn't played much, his 8 year career of being around teams and practicing has given him a good knowledge of fundamentals even if he hasn't been able to play actual games.

He put in a lot of effort on the defensive end, seems to be a half-decent paint presence (at least considerably better than Lee) and he can play offense in the paint too.

I hope he'll get a steady 15-20 in Mike's rotation, he looks very handy.

mafra

Legend
Funny thing is (according to the NY Daily News today), Curry is ALREADY complaining about his lack of playing time!

Hey Eddie... when you enter the game, not even a 17-point lead is safe. You look terrible! EVEN BENDER, who missed 4 years, looks better than you right now.

I do agree with what they say.... SEND CURRY to the D-League for rehab games (5-7). They do this in MLB, and they should in the NBA.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
I think it would be hilarious for us to start a campaign for everyone to vote Bender write in ballot for All-Star game. NHL had this happen semi-recently with Rory Fitzpatrick with a whole website dedicated to why you should do it for the guy. It'd be awful hard to get that many votes but could you imagine Garnott sitting home watching Bender in the ASG

robert56

Benchwarmer
Funny thing is (according to the NY Daily News today), Curry is ALREADY complaining about his lack of playing time!

Hey Eddie... when you enter the game, not even a 17-point lead is safe. You look terrible! EVEN BENDER, who missed 4 years, looks better than you right now.

I do agree with what they say.... SEND CURRY to the D-League for rehab games (5-7). They do this in MLB, and they should in the NBA.

How long has Curry been playing in the NBA? If more than 3 years he can't be sent to the D-League. There are different rules for the NBA than the MLB, although it would be nice if we could send players to the D-League whenever they need a refresher.

dre48ny

Rotation player
He is producing thus far so we can't say anything negative thus far as we usually do with all players.

Torp

Benchwarmer
In such a short playing time, coupled with the fact that there is a lot of pressure on him, I've seen this 7 footer swish 3's, DRIVE to the hoop, block shots, etc... Can't complain about him so far... In fact he seems to perfectly fit the system as a tall center who can spread the floor. I'm interested to see if the consistency lasts

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
In such a short playing time, coupled with the fact that there is a lot of pressure on him, I've seen this 7 footer swish 3's, DRIVE to the hoop, block shots, etc... Can't complain about him so far... In fact he seems to perfectly fit the system as a tall center who can spread the floor. I'm interested to see if the consistency lasts

lol hes surprised the living shit out of EVERYONE on this forum so far, look back at the johnathan bender forum we all were like "wtf". but ur right two games isnt enough. consistency is the most important thing in pro sports, lets see how he plays this next couple games out