David Lee's recent success is bitter sweet for The Knicks

metrocard

Legend
If Lebron is the goal, then where does Lee fit? Lebron would most likely play PF. Do we really want Lee playing Center for us? He's played well at that position but it does create a defensive liability.

Or if we put Lebron at SF and Lee at PF, does Gallo come off the bench? Who do we get to play Center? Can/would Lebron play SG and let Chandler come off the bench?

And we still have to resolve our PG needs. Douglas is not a starting PG in the NBA. If we sign Lebron and sign Lee we don't have enough to get a PG.

This may all be a pointless debate. Lee will probably be asking for $11 mil which doesn't leave us enough to resign him if we go after a max-contract player. And I seriously doubt Donnie would sacrifice the chance to get Lebron to sign Lee.

Says who?

Lebron can easily play the two.
Chandler does it, why can't Lebron who is a superior ball handler quick, and has a better jumper?

Lebron can play the 2/3/4
Gallo can play the 3/4
Lee can play the 4/5

Oldtimer

Rotation player
2010 Free Agents

The 2010 committed contract amounts for Curry, Jefferies, Gallinari, Chandler, Hill and Douglas add up to about $27.33M. I do not know the extent to which we might commit to Bender beyond the current year. Let us assume there is no commitment. Let us also assume that the cap is $54M, which is a little bit above of the high end projection at $53.6M.

The committed $27.33M will be included in "Team Salary." We will have to renounce our bird rights to all of our expiring contracts to avoid inclusion of their salaries in 2010 "Team Salary." The bi-annual and mid-level exceptions also have to be renounced in order to avoid inclusion in "Team Salary." The mid-level is about $5.8M and the bi-annual about $1.9.

Since we have only 6 committed players, our "Team Salary" will be increased as if we also had six minimum salary players because the roster for "Team Salary" purposes must be at least 12. The minimum player salary for 2010 is $473,604. For six the total is $2,841,624,

Assuming no movement of either Curry or Jefferies, our "Team Salary" for 2010 will be at least $30,171M. If the cap is about $54M, the diffence between that and our "Team Salary" will be our cap space. That difference, on the cap projection of $54M, is $22.829M.

A max contract is limited to $30% of the cap. Thirty percent of $54M is $16.2M. With one max contract, there is only $6.629M of cap space left. That will not be enough to keep Lee or get any one equivalent to Lee.

The CBA does not permit backloading of contracts. I believe that there can be a 10.5 % raise for each year but it is not compounded. Thus if the first year of a contract is $5M, the second year can be $5.55M, the third year $6.1M etc.

It will not help to wait until after signing a max contract before renouncing the mid-level, because you cannot add the mid-level to salary cap space.

If we buy out Curry's last year we can add whatever discount he will take to our cap space. He should be cooperative at least to a point because he will need some playing time for any chance of a new contract.

If we do not get LeBron, I do not think anyone else, even DWade, is worth a max contract. I would rather keep Lee, with all his defensive weaknesses than give a max contract to Bosh or Amare and lose Lee. Perhaps, if LeBron is not an option, we should start thinking about free agents not expected to get max contracts.

It would help to move Jefferies. Moving Curry is hopeless.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Since we have only 6 committed players, our "Team Salary" will be increased as if we also had six minimum salary players because the roster for "Team Salary" purposes must be at least 12. The minimum player salary for 2010 is $473,604. For six the total is $2,841,624,

Assuming no movement of either Curry or Jefferies, our "Team Salary" for 2010 will be at least $30,171M. If the cap is about $54M, the diffence between that and our "Team Salary" will be our cap space. That difference, on the cap projection of $54M, is $22.829M.

Thanks for the info Oldtimer. But are you sure about this? This doesn't make any sense.

Since we have only 6 committed players our Team Salary gets artificially increased and our cap space gets artificially reduced??? Just to account for players we haven't signed yet???

If we begin signing players does that artificial increase in our team salary get reduced?

If this is true, what a complete screw job and cluster-f*ck. But I guess I've known for a while that if Jeffries is not traded the 2010 plan falls apart.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
"Team Salary"

Unfortunately I am pretty sure. Each roster spot below the necessary 12 gets filled at the minimum player salary for "Team Salary" purposes. Of course, if we were to sign a 7th player, there would only be 5 remaining roster spots, but we cannot sign anybody for less that the minimum player salary.

Once we run out of cap space, we can sign any one for the minimum, even a veteran, so long as wwe sign him at the veteran's minimum. These would be cap exceptions. Unlike the mid-level and bi-annuals, they do not affect "Team Salary" for cap purposes except going forward.

ANU

Starter
Says who?

Lebron can easily play the two.
Chandler does it, why can't Lebron who is a superior ball handler quick, and has a better jumper?

Lebron can play the 2/3/4
Gallo can play the 3/4
Lee can play the 4/5

agreed.as far as lee, i think he gets better every year.so its gonna suck if we don't retain him.i'd love to deal him to the bulls(to meet up with noah) for their first pick.i think at this point that would be a good deal.it has nothing to do with lee's game.i love his game(besides his d) and i expect his defense to be the next thing he improves next.if that's the case you got yourself a really good consistent player.but we really can risk him walking.it could very well happen.

the nets and the thunder are 2 teams i can see him going to.nobody is going to want to go to okc (no offense to anyone) or newark.they aren't gonna get anyone good next year without throwing 11 mill plus at a player.we can't pay him that if we expect to sign lebron.

if he is going to get dealt, donnie needs to inquire about our pick that the jazz own first.lee's success is in direct correlation with our success. i'd offer chandler and douglas.then i'd deal lee to chicago for their first.we'd totally get raped, the rest of the season, but at least we'll have to first round picks to start our new era.hopfully surrounding the king with a wall and a cock on a hill.

Last edited:

ANU

Starter
Thanks.Trillion... on waiting til' 2011: I would rather get a blow job from an aligator before waiting another year while the FO stands pat this next off season!
:teeth::teeth::teeth:

that was funny.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Thanks.Trillion... on waiting til' 2011: I would rather get a blow job from an alligator before waiting another year while the FO stands pat this next off season!

We all want we want...when we want it! Very often the quick move is not the right move. I want to make major moves next year and would hate to have to wait but I would rather wait than sign Bosh or Amare to a max deal. They will NEVER be the first option on a championship team! Lee will be better value and a homegrown all star who would compliment a superstar perfectly.

Again, if we can't get Lebron, Wade or someone of their caliber(or a least potential like a Rose or Durant) we should sign Lee, make minor moves and get ready for a ton of space in 2011. Do I want that? No, I want Lebron and I want him yesterday!

Listen, I feel your pain..it's my pain too! We have waited this long and may have to hold out a bit longer to get the right players. NYC has not seen glory since the early 70's and won't if we blow our wad on "almost great" players.

Last edited:

ANU

Starter
after the atlanta and indiana game they have a three days off.hopefully we win those games, and donnie tries to get that pick back from utah.then he needs to start dealing.this team is way to hot in cold to actually make the playoffs, and with duhon at the point it'll be next to impossible.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Damn... if it weren't for the beginning of your post, I would think we were talking about David Lee. ;)

No one is talking about making Lee a number one option like we would with a Bosh or Amare. Point in case...sign an elite next year or wait!

paris401

Starter
the nets and the thunder are 2 teams i can see him going to.nobody is going to want to go to okc (no offense to anyone) or newark.they aren't gonna get anyone good next year without throwing 11 mill plus at a player.we can't pay him that if we expect to sign lebron.

i agree okc is out of play, but newark/brooklyn... not so sure about that locale..

if u are 'bron, and u look at the knicks roster for next year , it consists of zepole, and wilson... and a bunch of nobody's

looking at the nets, u have brook, and harris... and a bunch of nobody's...

me... i'd go with brook and harris....

ANU

Starter
i agree okc is out of play, but newark/brooklyn... not so sure about that locale..

if u are 'bron, and u look at the knicks roster for next year , it consists of zepole, and wilson... and a bunch of nobody's

looking at the nets, u have brook, and harris... and a bunch of nobody's...

me... i'd go with brook and harris....
i don't think they are out of play if they overpay.which they may, or may not.they won't sign any "all stars" so they might.even if presti is a genius.

Last edited:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Hell no to a potential 12 mil per for Lee! What he scores he gives it up at the other end. Watching Lee play defense is like watching a girl, 13 ****ing blocks in 1,156 minutes so far this season. Jordan Hill has 7 blocks in only 80 minutes.

Last edited:

Arod2k9

Benchwarmer
Jordan Hill should be our future power forward/Center and not Lee, if that doesn't happen I will no longer root for the Knicks.

iSaYughh

Starter
Whether or not one might think Lee should or shouldn't signed, if he isn't re-signed & he isn't traded, it will be (yet another) pathetic and shameful display of organizational incompetence.

Hell no to a potential 12 mil per for Lee! What he scores he gives it up at the other end. Watching Lee play defense is like watching a girl, 13 ****ing blocks in 1,156 minutes so far this season. Jordan Hill has 7 blocks in only 80 minutes.
that is a startling statistic.smh.
Whether or not one might think Lee should or shouldn't signed, if he isn't re-signed & he isn't traded, it will be (yet another) pathetic and shameful display of organizational incompetence.
yeah it would.i like what d lee brought here.he worked his ass off to become the player he's become.but at best where a bottom tier team with him as our centerpiece.

Paul1355

All Star
Look, David Lee's agent is drooling at the mouth nowadays!

And Donnie is kicking himself for not locking him up at a 5 yr 40 million dollar deal! Now its going to cost us!

David Lee is probably playing as good as any player in the league over the past few games.

He has added a new element to his game every year! He came back his sophomore year a 80% FT shooter up from 50%, his 3rd season he had to play behind Curry and Randolph and still was the most consistient player on the team, last year he picked up a somewhat reliable jump shot, now he has a pretty reliable jumper, plus a knack for scoring the ball proving he is more than just a rebounder!

David Lee is a testament to work ethic! And outside the mega-stars this off season David will the top FA this summer, the safe bet for Donnie is to sign Lee to extension before the bidding war begins on him
I guarantee that Lee will be traded if he continues to play this well.

We could use him as our most valuable trade bait and he is only getting better offensively.

Package Lee with Jeffries and we have a deal

New New York

Quiet Storm
I guarantee that Lee will be traded if he continues to play this well.

We could use him as our most valuable trade bait and he is only getting better offensively.

Package Lee with Jeffries and we have a deal

Umm, Curry maybe....but no way we move David Lee just to get rid of Jefferies unless that team gives us a young PG or SG in return