my fear this off season.

i don't mean to be a buzzkiller, but i think have to be realistic here.i understand all the love for some of our players.i got love for them too.

but we don't have a superstar, or a player with superstar upside.my fear is this off season is that lebron re-signs with cavs (which i believe the likeliest thing to happen) and we re-sign david lee.

i like dave.he's a fine b-ball player, but in my opinion, the guy is a "second" guy at best.same as allan houston., and with all due respect to allan houston, we didn't get far with him as "the guy". i understand the loyalty that a team and a fanbase like the knick fan base would feel the love for a player that worked his ass off, that we've seen grow into a really good player, but we need to think about the future, and where this franchise will be in a couple of years.

this off season we can't walk away with 2 "2nd options" if the team legitimately expects to win championship"s" in the future.i don't want to here shit about wade.**** wade.he don't want nothing to do with this franchise, than let that blowfish face cunt stay where he is.

this off season is the most important off season in the history of this franchise.this off season we HAVE to come away with a superstar, or a would be super star by any means necessary.i won't be satisfied with competing.i want this franchise to win championships.i know that's a sentiment we all share.

NYKChevy

Benchwarmer
If we re-sign david lee at something like a rate of 8/9 million a year we'll still be in great position. Remember that Jeffries and Curry come off the books the year after so we'll have plenty of cap room to work with. As evidenced by the Maynor deal, the franchise is in a great position by being under the cap because it could take advantage of struggling franchises.

Don't fret, even if we come away with nothint but resigning lee and a few other bit pieces, we are still in great positioning.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'm actually more worried about us giving a max contract to someone who doesn't deserve it than missing out on the LeBron sweepstakes.

I'd rather not sign any FAs than give someone like Joe Johnson or Carlos Boozer the max...otherwise we get another ****bury incident where we have a max contract on the books for a long time...

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Lee, Nash, Bosh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LeBron

Lee, Nash, Bosh is >> than Lebron yes but not by much(you put to many>>> there). Besides you put 3 players against one so for that matter those 3 are >>> than anybody(alone) in the league.
Now if we could of sign Lee, Nash, Bosh for Lebron next year salary you may have a point but otherwise I dont know what you mean by that.

johnstarky

Rotation player
I'm actually more worried about us giving a max contract to someone who doesn't deserve it than missing out on the LeBron sweepstakes.

I'd rather not sign any FAs than give someone like Joe Johnson or Carlos Boozer the max...otherwise we get another ****bury incident where we have a max contract on the books for a long time...

I agree with you that Walsh and the Knicks shouldn't waste money and cap room on players that are incapable of carrying a team towards a championship on their own backs.If the Knicks sign Joe Johnson they would be no better than what the Hawks are right now and they would probably be a 5th seeded team in the Eastern conference for the next few seasons.If they sign Carlos Boozer they would be worse than what the Jazz are right now since the Knicks wouldn't have a point guard like Deron Williams that would help out Boozer.

The Knicks should also stay away from Bosh and Amare if they're not able to sign Lebron or Wade and should wait until the summer of 2011 to see if they could sign a player like Chris Paul.I could live with Duhon for another season if I knew that the Knicks had a good opportunity of landing Paul.Having Paul, Gallo and Wilson Chandler would be excellent building blocks for a team that's destined to be a future championship contender.

Even if the Knicks go next summer without signing any free agents I wouldn't mind watching them play another season of mediocre basketball.I'd rather see this franchise be rebuilt through the NBA draft and through trades than see the Knicks blow big money on players that would set back their franchise for another decade.

Walsh needs to be smart this summer and not repeat the same blunders that Scott Layden and Isiah Thomas use to commit.I know he traded Jamal Crawford and Zach Randolph because he wanted to sacrafice a couple of seasons for the 2010 summer but any good GM should be able to realize that Lebron and Wade will be the only players on the market that are worthy of being franchise players.If you're a team like the Knicks, who are far from being a championship contender, not signing anyone and looking forward to the distant future should be plan B for 2010.

Last edited:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. Joe Johnson is not a franchise player. Neither is Bosh, nor is Boozer, nor Amare.

The list of franchise players in the NBA is very short. We don't want to be like the morons who gave Jermaine O'Neal a max contract and are now paying for it big time (hell we WERE those morons a few years ago when we gave Allan Houston a 100 million dollar deal and gave Stephon Marbury the maximum, let's not repeat that mistake).

We shouldn't make a FA signing just for the sake of making an FA signing. We don't NEED to obtain a player like Joe Johnson AT ALL COSTS. Obviously if we have a chance to get LeBron or Wade we throw the maximum at them, but if we miss out on the LeBron or Wade sweepstakes we don't need to throw the maximum at Amare just for kicks. We can sign a decent player to a 10 million dollar deal and retain David Lee, then when Jeffries and Curry are off the books we go after Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony. There are very few players that are worth the maximum, and signing someone to a big contract just for the sake of making a big name signing is probably one of the dumbest moves you can make. Ask teams like 76ers whether they're happy about signing Elton Brand.

We need to go after LeBron and Wade HARD, and it's silly to think otherwise. But we shouldn't panic if they choose to go elsewhere and we don't have a FA. We can sign a high-level FA (like Joe Johnson or Bosh or Amare) to a big deal (but not the MAX deal), re-sign David Lee, and then push really hard at Anthony next year and Paul the year after that. Or Williams when he's an FA. Or...rebuild through the draft? Trade up for talent? Who knows? The world is our oyster once Curry and Jeffries are off the books.

SOOOO who is the superstar that Lebron currently pays along side?????

Who is the superstar that Joe Johnson Currently plays along side????

Who is the superstar that Chris Bosh currently plays along side ???

Who is the superstar that Dwayne Wade Currently plays along side ???

you plug any one of those players into the knicks team

along side DAvid LEE Gallinari and Chandler

Get an upgrade from duhon, not superstar bug upgrade

and a shot blocking center

and you have an elite team for the next 7 years.

case closed

smokes

Huge Member
Firstly Lebron resigning with the Cavs is one of the unlikeliest scenarios. The Cavs have almost no flexibility in the coming years and their current "built for a championship" team I doubt will pass the ECF this year. Cleveland is a crappy city in a crappy market and the only reason that franchise had any excitement in the last 10 years was the drafting of King James.

However maybe we won't land Lebron, even if we don't it's not that big a deal. As someone said before, we can sign Lee to a long term deal this offseason and wait out 2011 offseason where Melo and others will be available. You have to have patience when rebuilding from the situation we have been in. 2 years is not a long time at all in franchise terms and if we actually get back to a winning team in 2010 that will be an extremely fast turnaround from the spot we were in at 2008.

The only real competitors in the 2010 FA market are Chicago and New Jersey. Both have intriguing rosters but Chicago are underperforming and really their only upside is Derrick Rose, where we have Gallo and Chandler + possibly Lee. New Jersey is the worst franchise in the NBA right now even with a bunch of talented young guys and most likely a top 3 pick in the 2010 draft they are a bad team and I can't see anyone choosing to play there over NYC.

As a final positive sentiment, people forget that not so long ago Wade was talking about having discussions with the other 2010 studs, and about potentially taking less money to team up with another superstar. I'm sure Wade doesn't give a crap about a max contract he tasted Championship and he wants more. Can you imagine a team of:

Wade
Chandler
Gallo
Lebron
Lee

???

Hi Championship.

johnstarky

Rotation player
To answer DFDH's post, all those 2010 free agent names that you mentioned haven't won championships with their teams with the exception of Dwayne Wade.And he won a championship with his team because he had a superstar in Shaq playing along side him.Notice how the Heat went from being one of the most dominanting teams in the NBA to being an above average team once Shaq started experiencing injuries and was traded away? As good as a player is he needs a superstar to help him lead a team towards a championship.Even Michael Jordan needed Scottie Pippen to win all those titles in the 90's.The '94 Houston Rockets were the one team in the past twenty or so years that only needed one superstar to lead them towards a title.One of the main reasons why Patrick Ewing couldn't win a championship with the Knicks was because he never had that other superstar to help him.He might of had a good supporting cast throughout his Knick career but he didn't have that teammate to help him carry the load.You saw how John Starks tried to play that role in the NBA finals and failed at it because he wasn't really a superstar.If the Knicks want to win a future championship they need more than just Lebron James and excellent role players.The Knicks need Lebron and some other elite player.

ANU

Starter
To answer DFDH's post, all those 2010 free agent names that you mentioned haven't won championships with their teams with the exception of Dwayne Wade.And he won a championship with his team because he had a superstar in Shaq playing along side him.Notice how the Heat went from being one of the most dominanting teams in the NBA to being an above average team once Shaq started experiencing injuries and was traded away? As good as a player is he needs a superstar to help him lead a team towards a championship.Even Michael Jordan needed Scottie Pippen to win all those titles in the 90's.The '94 Houston Rockets were the one team in the past twenty or so years that only needed one superstar to lead them towards a title.One of the main reasons why Patrick Ewing couldn't win a championship with the Knicks was because he never had that other superstar to help him.He might of had a good supporting cast throughout his Knick career but he didn't have that teammate to help him carry the load.You saw how John Starks tried to play that role in the NBA finals and failed at it because he wasn't really a superstar.If the Knicks want to win a future championship they need more than just Lebron James and excellent role players.The Knicks need Lebron and some other elite player.
this is what annoys me about don't forget derek harper.the guy is always on his a high horse spouting non sense.this is why those guys want to be free agents next year, because they know they can't do it alone.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Truth be told if we don't get Lebron or Wade this offseason (I don't really want either, I'd hate to have to root for them, although of course I want whatever makes us win), I'd actually LOVE waiting and letting Curry expire and getting Kevin Durant and using the extra money for a good PG and a shot blocking center. I love Durant's game and would find him far easier to root for on my team than Lebron's cocky ass.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer

You forgot the Pistons of 2004 who had no superstars but anyway I agree with you 100%.

Paul1355

All Star
_______√ictory_______;108688 said:
i don't mean to be a buzzkiller, but i think have to be realistic here.i understand all the love for some of our players.i got love for them too.

but we don't have a superstar, or a player with superstar upside.my fear is this off season is that lebron re-signs with cavs (which i believe the likeliest thing to happen) and we re-sign david lee.

i like dave.he's a fine b-ball player, but in my opinion, the guy is a "second" guy at best.same as allan houston., and with all due respect to allan houston, we didn't get far with him as "the guy". i understand the loyalty that a team and a fanbase like the knick fan base would feel the love for a player that worked his ass off, that we've seen grow into a really good player, but we need to think about the future, and where this franchise will be in a couple of years.

this off season we can't walk away with 2 "2nd options" if the team legitimately expects to win championship"s" in the future.i don't want to here shit about wade.**** wade.he don't want nothing to do with this franchise, than let that blowfish face cunt stay where he is.

this off season is the most important off season in the history of this franchise.this off season we HAVE to come away with a superstar, or a would be super star by any means necessary.i won't be satisfied with competing.i want this franchise to win championships.i know that's a sentiment we all share.

Odds are we will get Joe Johnson for some big contract and over pay him even though he is an allstar caliber SG.

We are weak at the SG position and Johnson would fit perfectly on this team due to his knack for scorin and finding the open man.

Just imagine Johnson taking over games, drawing defenders to him and then feeding the open shots to Gallo....Johnson would make Gallo a 20ppg player easy.

ALSO...

Johnson has the history with Mike D and said that Mike D started his great career because he was the first coach to make him a starter.

Johnson has also turned down a big contract from the Hawks so he wants out and wants to be tested in free agency.

My guess is we get Joe Johnson and resign Lee.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah but we should be weary of signing Joe Johnson to a max contract. After all he's 3 years older than LeBron and co. and we don't want to have him six or seven years in the future and be thinking "aw shit we're stuck with 35 year old injured dead weight on our roster".

That being said I still think Joe Johnson is a good player and if we could get him at 15 million/year for like 5 years that'd be a good deal. Then we could re-sign David Lee. And then go after Carmelo/Durant/Paul/etc.

If D'Antoni's going to be our coach we're going to need a good point guard. The idea of Chris Paul running a D'Antoni-coached offense makes me jizz in my pants, but we'll be fine as long as we have someone better than Chris Duhon

johnstarky

Rotation player
this is what annoys me about don't forget derek harper.the guy is always on his a high horse spouting non sense.this is why those guys want to be free agents next year, because they know they can't do it alone.

I agree, If Dwayne Wade knew that he was good enough to lead his team towards a championship he would have never put any pressure on the Miami Heat front office to make a move for another superstar.The same thing goes for Lebron James who has yet to sign a contract extension with the Cavs.

johnstarky

Rotation player
You forgot the Pistons of 2004 who had no superstars but anyway I agree with you 100%.

Even though the Pistons didn't have that one superstar player they had players that were the best at their positions.The 2004 Pistons were one of those rare teams that had all the right pieces in their starting lineup to win a championship.They also had a very good coach in Larry Brown.

NYK2010

Rookie
SOOOO who is the superstar that Lebron currently pays along side?????

Who is the superstar that Joe Johnson Currently plays along side????

Who is the superstar that Chris Bosh currently plays along side ???

Who is the superstar that Dwayne Wade Currently plays along side ???

you plug any one of those players into the knicks team

along side DAvid LEE Gallinari and Chandler

Get an upgrade from duhon, not superstar bug upgrade

and a shot blocking center

and you have an elite team for the next 7 years.

case closed

I agree. Call me crazy but I think we have more talent than Cleveland NOW...