The Official Wilson Chandler is Overrated Thread

p0nder

Starter
Wilson: Good role player with hustle, athleticism and a realistic contract. The only "reason" i can see for trading him is to move Curry or Jefferies. The only reason in your argument I can see for getting rid of him is because he was touched by Issiah.

I realize that there are a lot of bad feelings towards issiah, he sunk this team. But do we need to carry vendetta's against decent players on our roster 2 years later because they were a part of that failed vision?

I only ask because I'm not sure either. Complacency has been the attitude in the Garden these past 10 years or so with regards to the Knicks.

Mediocrity has been accepted and expected from the roster. To me, that is unacceptable. In order to be an elite team (an all time elite team that Donnie wishes to put together) shouldn't we eliminate any sembalance of Issiah, the decade of shit, and players who may exemplify this "It's Ok to be O.K. if you play with the Knicks"?

Personally, I think Wilson makes good trade bait. He could be a piece that a contender would want to add to their bench for the postseason...

As for that ridiculous trade with NJ what are you smoking and where can I get some? =D Never gonna happen and seems rather unnecessary.

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I have been impressed with Chandler's recent improvement, and I don't know many people who are overhyping him. I don't think hes untouchable, for the right trade I would be glad to include him if we got a better player in return. Still theres no doubting he has improved greatly since the beginning of the year.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Can we get a definition of "overratted"

To me overatted is a player who recieves a lot of recognition that he does not deserve or a player who is given free will that he does not deserve, now how does that apply to Wilson? You said this is based off of fan recognition, but fans have favorites, I remeber there was a huge Tim Thomas fan on this site, some people loved Balkman, so what if fans like him does that really make him overatted?

Players you could make a case for being overatted
Jamal Crawford
Nate Robinson
Eddy Curry

See all of the players above are role players who had at times been given free will in our offense and the media pumped them up to be All Star calliber. Wilson is actually a role player who plays his role well and gets very little aknowledgement.

He is actually the only player who does not try to do too much

Nate's 41 off the bench was huge for us, but Wilson's 22 pt 16 reb game was equally important. Him going at Dalembert last night and getting a 3 pt play was a clutch. Gallo was clutch in the 4th against Char. but so was Wil. Point being he has been a very important part of the teams most recent wins and very little is said about it, so again where is he "overatted"

Wilson was having a disappoiniting start to the season -as was our whole team- but you have to admire him for realizing he needed to get to the hoop and attempting to make an impact on the game on the defensive end. Q-Richardson has been a pro for like 10 years and he would still be trying to just shoot his way out of the slump, the same could be said for Larry Hughes!

Did you hear that stat line last night? in his past 70 shots only 9 have been 3's, that shows an understanding of how to play.

Sorry Metro but There is so much wrong with your trade scenerio Metro I do not know where to begin

See I think you have blasted Wilson in the past a lot and now that he is playing well you are afraid of eating your words and so you create this thread to support your argument of Wilson not being a good player.

I will say that I used to think too that he had a "low ceiling", but he has actually looked better this season than I expected -especially coming off a nightmare slump-, he will never be a a franchise player, but 1. I dont think he strives to be and 2. I dont think no one really sees him as that.

Wilson has been our second best player since Mid December!

That said.......I hope we can trade for a true SG, because he clearly is not that!

Chandler is a young, athletic dude with a ton of upside/potential. He's the best on the team at DRIVING to the basket. Very strong, but oddly at the same time can be very soft. He also seems to have a low basketball IQ and makes crawford-type decisions at times. I'd love to see him develop in NY and see if he can reach his potential, but if a deal comes along that includes Chandler that betters the team, will I be opposed to it? Of course not.

metrocard

Legend
Here we go again. Let's single out the best player on the team (whose last name isn't Marbury), and say he is overrated. Haven't we already been through this before??? We are all sorry your mancrush Rubio stayed where he belonged in Spain (not really). There aren't enough talented players from the PR to go around for every NBA team to have one. For once can you appreciate a guy putting in work in a Knicks uniform. You say Chandler can't go to the hole, but I saw drive the lane and bring the rim down against the Bulls the other week. Wilson shot selection and outside touch is getting better, and the man fills up the stat sheet. What's the problem???

How is Chandler better than Lee or Gallinari?
Because he isn't, so don't even try.

Take Lee or Gallinari off this team, we would look worst than the Nets.
Take Chandler off this team, Hughes will just fill his minutes.

Carmelo is half Boricua, what now son? LOL.
Anyway, Jose Juan Barea is that dude right now, so you better RESPECT PR or I break your mouth, ight homie?

Metro,, My Brother...come On Man

You Just Based Your Analysis Of Wilson Chandler On A Comparison To Lebron James.

How Are We As Posters Supposed To Take You Seriously When The Foundation Of Your Argument Is Comparing Our Role Player To A Top 3 Player In The League.

And No

Knicksonline Posters Do Not Over Hype This Guy, As Per This Thread Proving Me Correct, No One Is Going Nuts Over This Guy They Are Just Pointing Out That Yes He Has Improved, His Field Goal Percentage Is At About 50 Percent Over The Past 21 Games, He Defends Well, Rebounds The Ball, And Is Pretty Much Our Best Free Throw Shooter ; Which Boosts The Fact He Can Get To The Line. With That Being Said Is He An All Star No, Is He Lebron James No.

The Only Time That Knicksonline Hyped Him Was 2 Years Ago Over The Summer When He Finished Isiah Thomas's Last Season Strong After Sitting Most Of His Rookie Year, We All Said The Same Thing He Is Going To Help Us In The Future, I Would Have To Say If You Look At His Output During Victories, He Is Definitely Doing What We All Predicted.

YOU BRING UP HIS CEILING, WHO EVER STATED HE HAD THIS HIGH CEILING, SO WHAT IF CHANDLER IS CHANDLER, ILL TAKE CHANDLER BEING CHANDLER IF IM THE SPURS MAGIC LAKERS OR ANY OTHER ELITE TEAM AND I PROMISE YOU CHANDLER BEING CHANDLER IS POSTING 20 MINUTES AND BEING HELPFUL TOWARDS A WINNING FORMULA.

Slow Down Relax, And Stop Comparing Chandler To Lebron James, Its Laughable And You Are Too Smart For That Sort Of Nonsense.

Lets keep it simple my friend.

I never really "compared" the two, I just said once LeBron comes here, Chandler's assets are useless. He's a two guard who can't shoot or pass.
And when has Chandler ever been on a winning team?
Nonsense? You're writing in all caps all whacky...In my opinon, alot of empty words.

i agree duhon/chandler backcourt is weakest in league, but that's due to doo-doo stinking up the starting PG position.

Chandler has steadily improved from Day 1. He's stopped chucking 3's, and
has worked on driving to basket, and taking shorter shots.

He's one of the most athletic players on the squad, rebounding, blocking shots, and his offensive contributions are the difference between winning and losing this year. He's currently in a great groove, where are you coming from with this weak argument?

So much time wasted not only dissing Chandler, but coming up with lame trade scenarios...

good thread... to poop on!

WILSOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

Who honestly cares about 10 games when we're looking to build a team into 2010?
You're too gaga over this Chandler streak and its fans like you that are easily suckered, especially in the Isiah Thomas era where the hype was on sale and everyone bought it look a fool.

Whats lame is that you critique my trade scenarios with zero analysis.

We gotta break this team up.
Last two guys I would trade; Lee and Gallinari.

EVERYONE HAS TO GO.
Do you understand that?
Do you understand if Donnie doesn't trade atleast 3-4 guys before the deadline we're F'ed?

I don't think anyone on the Knicks is untouchable, so I don't care who gets traded. The Knicks need a point guard that can shoot above 41% and get assists, a shooting guard that can shoot over 41%, and a center who can block shots.

Exactly.

We have a really weird team.
We need a balance.
Guys like Chandler mess up that balance, playing out of position and he's very limited in skill and ability. His ceiling is low, and people don't see it.
5 rebounds for a guy with his athleticism is WEAK. He shoots a low FG% at the SG position and isn't creative offensive.

Chandler is skilled at gliding to the hoop, but thats one asset.

Dude is butt all around.
Can we be honest with this?

Even when he plays "good", I'm not impressed.

Chandler reminds me of a soft version of Corey Maggatte without the jumper.

smokes

Huge Member
Exactly.

We need a balance.
Guys like Chandler mess up that balance, playing out of position and he's very limited in skill and ability. His ceiling is low, and people don't see it.
5 rebounds for a guy with his athleticism is WEAK. He shoots a low FG% at the SG position and isn't creative offensive.

Chandler is skilled at gliding to the hoop, but thats one asset.

Dude is butt all around.
Can we be honest with this?

Even when he plays "good", I'm not impressed.

Chandler reminds me of a soft version of Corey Maggatte without the jumper.

I think your bias against Chandler is blinding you tbh.

He shoots an average %. Hughes played SG a lot for this team and was NOTHING like chandler... Can you honestly not remember his multiple streaks of scoring 10-20% FG...

He's not wildly creative but he added 2 post moves which are reasonably effective. He's also very skilled at grabbing his own misses and gets a fair amount of 2nd chance points that way.

Sure his rebounding is low but he defends the perimeter in most matchups and Lee is grabbing all the Drebounds anyway.

Some of your post is accurate but he's an above average player and no way as bad as you're trying to make him out to be.

KBlack25

Starter

Took this out of your post because this is the one statement I agree with most...

Look at almost every other team in the league...they get a star and build around them. We, on the other hand, have all the players you put around a star, a bunch of role players waiting for someone to take the reigns as the leader and the star. It's truly a unique set of circumstances.

I understand the fascination with Chandler, really I do. Same with Nate Robinson. Fact is these guys are role players. Period. At the end of the day, once a superstar is here, Chandler won't see much significant play at all. He is more of a decoy, the type of guy you can't sag off to double team the star because he COULD hurt you. But this type of guy is a dime a dozen.

Look, it's the NBA, the best of the best in the world. Almost anybody can hit a jumper. Hell, I ran with some scrubs from the Georgetown team a while back, and even those guys hit almost every jumper they took. Chandler is a role player, he puts up minutes and looks good because he's one of the better players on the team, but even on this team of role players he's 3rd best...You can find someone cheap that can do what Wil the Thrill can do.

The team is doing well, but the fact is Wilson is not a superstar in this league.

I agree with metro's sentiment, except for the fact Lee and Gallo should go...just saying metro, you say we gotta get rid of all the Isiah guys, Gallo is the first Walsh guy, and honestly the guy I think has the most potential on this team...let's not throw him away.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
Took this out of your post because this is the one statement I agree with most...

Look at almost every other team in the league...they get a star and build around them. We, on the other hand, have all the players you put around a star, a bunch of role players waiting for someone to take the reigns as the leader and the star. It's truly a unique set of circumstances.

I understand the fascination with Chandler, really I do. Same with Nate Robinson. Fact is these guys are role players. Period. At the end of the day, once a superstar is here, Chandler won't see much significant play at all. He is more of a decoy, the type of guy you can't sag off to double team the star because he COULD hurt you. But this type of guy is a dime a dozen.

Look, it's the NBA, the best of the best in the world. Almost anybody can hit a jumper. Hell, I ran with some scrubs from the Georgetown team a while back, and even those guys hit almost every jumper they took. Chandler is a role player, he puts up minutes and looks good because he's one of the better players on the team, but even on this team of role players he's 3rd best...You can find someone cheap that can do what Wil the Thrill can do.

The team is doing well, but the fact is Wilson is not a superstar in this league.

I agree with metro's sentiment, except for the fact Lee and Gallo should go...just saying metro, you say we gotta get rid of all the Isiah guys, Gallo is the first Walsh guy, and honestly the guy I think has the most potential on this team...let's not throw him away.

I probably made a typo.

I'll hold on to Lee and Gallo.
Let everyone go.
But I agree.

dave2138

Rotation player
I think the real reason we would debate the value of Wilson Chandler is due to the question of whether or not you would trade Chandler if it meant getting rid of Curry or Jefferies.

I would package Chandler with Curry in a heartbeat to get an expiring contract. However, I still have a hard time believing that Chandler would be enough to have another team take on Curry's contract.

What about Jefferies though? A lot of think that it won't be hard to trade Jefferies for an expiring contract because he has been valuable this year, but what if they can't? Would you trade Chandler then?

So this is where you question the value of Chandler. Are you overrating him if you feel he is too good to give away in a trade just to be able to spend another 6-10 mil next season? Or do you feel that Chandler is just an average and replacable player that you can successfully replace his minutes with next year's 2nd round pick.

I think metro has a fetish for chandler, and handles himself as a school girl would punching the boy she has a crush on in the arm even though she likes him. I really do not get where this thread stemmed from, chandler has been playing his best basketball,and metro now picks his timing for a chandler bash thread. it makes no sense to me, there has to be some psychological underlying factor pushing him to write such things. Where is the logic ? I dont know, if he wants to come in for a psycho-therapeutic session I would be more than happy to adhere as it would be a knick fan helping another fellow knicks fan handle the stressors of the past decade. Until then I will omit all that metro states and deem him mentally unfit to construct proper posts about a player wearing orange and blue.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
To be honest, Chandler looks pretty damn good. I think he'd be a nice solid starter for the Knicks for years to come. I think he would be an even better version of Devean George from when the Lakers made their run at 3 titles. Chandler has that potential to stick as a starter in this league.

Is he an All-Star? Probably not. Is he even a 2nd or 3rd option? Questionable. But the way he is playing right now is keeping the Knicks' playoff hopes alive and I'm grateful for what he brings to the table in 2009-2010 (trying to not worry about 2010 free agency and our future for once!!).

metrocard

Legend
I think metro has a fetish for chandler, and handles himself as a school girl would punching the boy she has a crush on in the arm even though she likes him. I really do not get where this thread stemmed from, chandler has been playing his best basketball,and metro now picks his timing for a chandler bash thread. it makes no sense to me, there has to be some psychological underlying factor pushing him to write such things. Where is the logic ? I dont know, if he wants to come in for a psycho-therapeutic session I would be more than happy to adhere as it would be a knick fan helping another fellow knicks fan handle the stressors of the past decade. Until then I will omit all that metro states and deem him mentally unfit to construct proper posts about a player wearing orange and blue.

Okay.
Have a nice day.

Italian Stallion

Benchwarmer
Wilson Chandler has always been highly regarded because he was very young, displayed above average athleticism, was said to have an extremely good work ethic, and had flaws that would be relatively easy to correct.

I have to admit, it's been a frustrating journey.

While he showed a small amount of progress last year, he was a significantly below average starter and seemed to not have the basketball IQ to use his athleticism to his advantage and avoid his weaknesses from the outside. Making matters more frustrating, he was told to work on his handle and other things in the off season, but he required surgery that kept him of the court for most of the summer. When he came back he was rusty as all hell, slowed by the injury, and seemed to not have learned a damn thing about shot selection. He was actually a worse player.

However, something happened at the beginning of December that has lasted until now.

1. He recovered most of his athleticism (but still not 100%) and started getting to the basket and defending better

2. He stopped shooting as many 3 pointers where he is way less efficient as a scorer

3. He started driving to the basket quite often and dramatically improved his FG% and efficiency

4. He actually started finding teammates and getting some assists

Right now, Wilson Chandler is a 22 year old average or above average starter with the versatility to defend mulitple positions and the high probability of continuing to improve. He's an excellent prospect. All he needs to do is improve his handle, shooting range, and defense a little and he'll be a borderline all star by 23 or 24.

As far as trades go, EVERYONE should be considered tradeable. If another team offers more for a player than the Knicks would be giving up, you have to do it. That includes both Lee and Gallo. I don't see why we should be singling out Chandler. I also think it would be worse than RETARDED to even consider any trades now on the assumption that we are going to sign a specific free agent. We have no idea who is leaving, who is not, and whether they would sign with us even if they left. Only a total fool would start building a specific team now for a player than may never show up.

Right now Chandler is the 3rd best player we have. Since the start of December you could probably argue that he's been at least as good as Gallo statistically (if not better). He may not have the ceiling of Gallo, but who cares unless you have a big bug up your ass over him. He's helping the team a lot right now, will only get better, and doesn't have a bad back that could flare up at any time and end or seriously impair his career.

Last edited:

CoolClyde

...Wilson Chandler is a 22 year old average or above average starter with the versatility to defend mulitple positions and the high probability of continuing to improve. He's an excellent prospect. All he needs to do is improve his handle, shooting range, and defense a little and he'll be a borderline all star by 23 or 24.

As far as trades go, EVERYONE should be considered tradeable. If another team offers more for a player than the Knicks would be giving up, you have to do it. That includes both Lee and Gallo. I don't see why we should be singling out Chandler. I also think it would be worse than RETARDED to even consider any trades now on the assumption that we are going to sign a specific free agent. We have no idea who is leaving, who is not, and whether they would sign with us even if they left. Only a total fool would start building a specific team now for a player than may never show up.

Right now Chandler is the 3rd best player we have. Since the start of December you could probably argue that he's been at least as good as Gallo statistically (if not better). He may not have the ceiling of Gallo, but who cares unless you have a big bug up your ass over him. He's helping the team a lot right now, will only get better, and doesn't have a bad back that could flare up at any time and end or seriously impair his career.
great post Stallion! further proof this thread is lame, although I do enjoy folks defending Wil the f*cking Thrill. c'mon he's a thrilling player, even Walt Frazier appreciates what he brings to the table. how do you dedicate a thread to dissing one of our top players? This ain't no bandwagon, it's an appreciation of talent.
Good job, metropoop!

jimkcchief88

All Star
Haters shake my hand but i keep da sanitizer on deck

Take that sanitized hand and slap yourself for making up such a dumb thread. Anybody that knows hoops can see Chandler has more upside and Gallo is the role player. Chandler is way more athletic and has more game inside and out. I could check Gallo and I am twice his age and half his height. All you have to do is take away his dribble and he is done. I would take my chances on him throwing up those 3 point bombs all day long. Gallo shoots more doorknobs than anything and has no game inside the circle. Wilson is a matchup nightmare because he is bigger than most 2 guards and quicker than most small forwards. Gallo is a poor man's Toni Krukoc.