What if we get nobody?

smokes

Huge Member
Did a quick search and found this. It was posted in August so not quite sure how updated it is.

Well that list is not very updated or useful. And the people they list as stud FA's is a bit of a joke really.

Gasol = signed extension 2 weeks ago

Duncan = Aging

Yao Ming = cripple

David West = David Lee

Josh Howard = tier 1 free agent? on what planet?

The only guy worth getting on that list is Parker. Also it doesn't list players with player options (Melo). Either way it looks like we are going 2010 or bust... which at this point looks like bust :(

TunerAddict

Starter
I never thought we'd sign LeBron or anyone really...

I just kinda thought it'd be good to be under the cap so we can actually get decent players and rebuild over time.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't see the Knicks getting Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Joe Johnson, or any of the top free agents in 2010.

Walsh has made a lot of bad decisions, since coming to the Knicks, and I doubt any of the top free agents would take a chance on a rebuilding Knick team.

Walsh still has a chance to redeem himself, if he can trade or sign a good shooter at shooting guard and a good defender at center, but that is a big if.

smokes

Huge Member
I don't see the Knicks getting Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Joe Johnson, or any of the top free agents in 2010.

Walsh has made a lot of bad decisions, since coming to the Knicks, and I doubt any of the top free agents would take a chance on a rebuilding Knick team.

Walsh still has a chance to redeem himself, if he can trade or sign a good shooter at shooting guard and a good defender at center, but that is a big if.

I guess it depends who goes looking for the big payday. If all of those guys went looking then we are bound to land someone. But no guarantees that will happen. To be honest I hope it doesn't get to the stage where we are settling for Amare or Joe Johnson because they are not game winners on their own. Both of them got solid supporting casts and still can't get deep into the playoffs. It really is Lebron (or Wade) or bust!

johnstarky

Rotation player
I think it all comes down to Lebron winning a championship with Cleveland this season.If he finally gets over the top with the Cavs he will most likely re-sign with them.If his team loses in the Eastern Conference finals once again or comes up short of a title he will look to sign elsewhere.And if he signs with the Knicks there are a few obstacles that he would have to overcome.

I don't believe that if he goes all the way with the Cavs this season he will be so content that he'll leave them for another team.He will be looking to win as many rings as Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan.He might be putting pressure on the Cavs front office right now because he really wants to put his home town and his team on the map.The only way he can accomplish this is by winning championships starting this year.

Even if he comes to NY he wouldn't be a big fish in a small pond.He would have to compete for media coverage with other well known NY athletes such as Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Eli Manning, and now Mark Sanchez.He would also have to wait a while until the Knicks become relevant again to the city of NY.If I'm not mistaken, Knick games average one of the lowest television ratings of any live NY sports broadcast.Just a couple of seasons ago their ratings sunk lower than the ratings of NY Ranger games.Sure Lebron coming to the Knicks would increase their ratings but unless he makes them into a championship contender the Knicks would remain second class citizens to other NY sports teams.

Right now the Cavs look like the best team in the Eastern Conference and I don't see any other EC team knocking them out of the playoffs.The Celtics cannot compete without a healthy Kevin Garnett, the Orlando Magic look like they are falling apart and aren't the same team without Hedo Turkoglu and the Atlanta Hawks aren't that great of a team.This might be the best opportunity for Lebron James to win a championship with the Cavs.The Lakers are the only team in the NBA right now that might be able to stop Cleveland.And you saw how Cleveland manhandled them on their home court this past Christmas? The Cavs are a team that can take the Lakers to seven games in the NBA finals.

Most of our hope should lean on whether the Cavs can win a championship this season or not.We need to root against them wholeheartedly in these upcoming playoffs.As much as I hate the Boston Celtics, I am going to have to root for them if they meet up with the Cavs in the EC finals.I feel that if Lebron James doesn't win a championship this season the chances of him coming to NY increase by at least 30 percent.As people keep mentioning, do you think Lebron would want to continue playing for a team of aging veterans who can't put him over the top in a small market? Or do you think Lebron wants to play for a team who might be 2 or 3 seasons away from contending for a title but have young and upcoming players in one of the greatest markets in the world?

Last edited:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I guess it depends who goes looking for the big payday. If all of those guys went looking then we are bound to land someone. But no guarantees that will happen. To be honest I hope it doesn't get to the stage where we are settling for Amare or Joe Johnson because they are not game winners on their own. Both of them got solid supporting casts and still can't get deep into the playoffs. It really is Lebron (or Wade) or bust!

I want the Knicks to get Dwyane Wade. Wade > Lebron, in my opinion. But either of those guys would be great.

Amare Stoudamire would be good, but he is injury prone. That's the only reason why I don't think the Knicks should sign him for a max contract.

Joe Johnson is one of my favorite NBA players, so if the Knicks were to sign him, I'd be glad.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
There's no reason to believe if the Cavs don't win the championship he'll sign elsewhere.If he wins he might feel more comfortable leaving the city he gave a championship to.

smokes

Huge Member
I want the Knicks to get Dwyane Wade. Wade > Lebron, in my opinion. But either of those guys would be great.

Amare Stoudamire would be good, but he is injury prone. That's the only reason why I don't think the Knicks should sign him for a max contract.

Joe Johnson is one of my favorite NBA players, so if the Knicks were to sign him, I'd be glad.

I have to agree, I like Wade a lot. If it wasn't for the fact he smokes a whole load of weed and is 3-4 inches shorter than Lebron he'd probably be equal or better! Still his game is a lot more exciting than Lebrons imo and makes him a lot more fun to watch. I think he's still got another championship in him too, he certainly seems to desire it (commenting about taking a paycut to hook up with another stud).

Johnson is another great player but I would be disappointed if we offered him a max in 2010, bottom line is he has a great supporting cast in ATL (Smith, Horford, Crawford, Bibby) and though they did well this regular season I can't see them going past round 2.

For me LBJ and Wade are the only 2 guys worth building around in 2010 and at this stage it seems pretty dead, we'll have to wait til Feb 18th to see how dead it really is...

paris401

Starter
. We have the money, the personnel, the biggest market and have been working on the vision of 2010 and beyond for longer then any other team.
:gony:

since the amount of $$$ that can be offered by teams under the cap is exactly the same, what does 'we have the money' mean

???????

smokes

Huge Member
since the amount of $$$ that can be offered by teams under the cap is exactly the same, what does 'we have the money' mean

???????

agreed. i like the positivity to be honest but unless we make some big moves before the deadline we are well and truly screwed, no doubt.