Trade David Lee

dave2138

Rotation player
Is anyone against this idea?

Positives:
- Can either get draft picks, cheap young talent, a team to take Curry or Jeffries in return.
- Can always sign David Lee again in the off season. Either way they would have had to renounce his bird rights making him available to every NBA team. So they still will have to pay him the same amount of $ if they want him to stay here long term.

Negatives:
- Give up any hope of seeing the Knicks in 2010 playoffs
- 2010 Free Agents may get the idea that the Knicks aren't serious about winning by trading their best player.

I could live with not seeing the Knicks in the 2010 playoffs if it gives us even a small chance at improving next year and beyond.

Any trade ideas that involve David Lee? Whats a realistic expectation that they could in return for him?

for 7 mil ? wtf what value would we get for a 7 mil expiring contract this year. Doesnt make sense to trade him. He is playing as well as any c/f in the league not named duncan,dirk,gasol, or randolph. and coming from me an avid perennial lee hater thats saying alot. there is no reason to trade him. WE are trying to show other players why they should come to new york, tanking another season is not the way.

dave2138

Rotation player
Either way he is a FA...do you think he has any trade value to a team trying to any legit playoff contending team?

Lee has an equal chance at being a Knicks next year if he's traded now or not traded. I don't think trading him now would have any effect on players wanting to come here next year.

In fact it may improve our chances if Lee was able to bring in a mid 1st round pick or 1 of Portland's young, cheap players. Or if he was able to get a team to take Curry's contract.

I just don't get when people say no to trading him because it makes the team worse for this year...who really cares about how good we are this year? In my mind this year is already over and every move should be made looking at what makes the 2010/2011 season and beyond better.

DANUTZ39

Benchwarmer
Lee is hard to be traded because he is still a BYC player and have veto power. Although he makes 7 mill and is expiring we can only get back 3.5 mill. Either more players or three or more teams get involved and Lee has to agree to that trade.

dave2138

Rotation player
another one living in fantasy-world.....

living in a fantasy world is caring if the Knicks make the playoffs this year...

Why can the Knicks only get 3.5 mil in return if his contract is 7 mil. Explain that to me, I admit I don't know the rules about trading a BYC player...all I know is that he would have to agree to a trade. But that should not be a problem if he is going to a legit playoff/championship contender.

I don't see why anyone would be against trading Lee if it made the team better next year.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
No trade we would lose his "Bird Rights"

We're going to lose his Bird Rights if we trade him or not.

We don't have enough cap space to sign Lee and a max-contract player. So we will probably lose him anyway.

I would only trade Lee if it got rid of Curry's contract. Otherwise hold on to him and see what happens in the offseason. We will most likely lose him for nothing but he is a decent fall-back option if no free agents sign here.

Although, I get the feeling we're going to sign Amare to a max contract because he's the only one that would sign with us. And we can't afford to sign Amare and Lee.

ANU

Starter
yep.

the warriors gm said they're thinking of making a big deal.
somebody posted this deal on real gm.

knicks get:curry, randolph, bell, claxton

warriors get: lee, chandler, jeffries, douglas.

i like this deal.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Trading Lee even in a deal that gets rid of Curry would be foolish considering we are hoping to pair a max FA up with Lee, plus why would a team take on Curry or Jefferies just to possibly rent Lee for the end of the season?

ImagineIf a team made that move, David bounces in the off season and all they have to show for their trade was Curry!!!!!!

Look if Portland wants to part with Brandon Roy we could begin talking D Lee trades

ANU

Starter
at the moment we have a glut at the forward position.we have no good guards or centers with the exception of nate and douglas.something needs to be done to change that.

i don't like the shape of this team.we need some balance going forward.no one should be untouchable if it makes us better.

the players that matter.

lee and hill at pf /c
we have gallo, wil, harrington at sf/pf
we have will at sg
nate and douglas at combo guard(though nate has shown that he could be a pg recently)

hill
lee
gallo
chandler
james

looks good on paper for the future, but i would prefer a package chandler, harrington nate and or douglas in return fro a really good point guard, so james is off the ball with another player beside him in the back court.

if i could build a team with an ideal criteria in mind on each position,

i would go

CENTER-rebounder, blocker, enforcer, decent passer with a post move or two.(deandre jordan, javale mcgee, greg oden could all grow into that.in oden's case, if he gets healthy)

POWER FORWARD-an all around player-a player that can do just about anything on the floor(i think gallo will grown into that)

SMALL FORWARD-an all around player with point forward skills (that is lebron james now)

SHOOTING GUARD-an all around good player with good to great shooting, and ball handling skills (rudy fernandez comes to mind)

POINT GUARD-an orchestrator on offense, and a ball hawk on defense( rubio comes to mind)

that would be an ideal(and realistic for us) team in this current nba in my opinion.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Im becoming a believer in keeping Lee....he just gets better every year and offensively he has become a beast.

He can stay in NY for 7 or 8 mil a year for as long as he wants.

only must is that he has to improve his defense.

ANU

Starter
Im becoming a believer in keeping Lee....he just gets better every year and offensively he has become a beast.

He can stay in NY for 7 or 8 mil a year for as long as he wants.

only must is that he has to improve his defense.
i would too, but lee at 7 or 8 ain't happening.

another player i would love to get for lee (with spare parts that would fit in a trade) is javale mcgee.that's all i really want out of this season.some good young prospects out of lee and harrington.

BlackH20

Benchwarmer
Your Right

Is anyone against this idea?

Positives:
- Can either get draft picks, cheap young talent, a team to take Curry or Jeffries in return.
- Can always sign David Lee again in the off season. Either way they would have had to renounce his bird rights making him available to every NBA team. So they still will have to pay him the same amount of $ if they want him to stay here long term.

Negatives:
- Give up any hope of seeing the Knicks in 2010 playoffs
- 2010 Free Agents may get the idea that the Knicks aren't serious about winning by trading their best player.

I could live with not seeing the Knicks in the 2010 playoffs if it gives us even a small chance at improving next year and beyond.

Any trade ideas that involve David Lee? Whats a realistic expectation that they could in return for him?

Your right, if their assessment of Lee is the same as last year, then you have to get something, for he has the knicks by the nads now. The secret is out, this guy should be in the all-star game with these number. All Star Game means big raise at contract game, your the top tier out of 450 players.

If not, they need to sign him now and trade Robinson and Hughes (but Hughes is making 13 mil this year and I don't think somebody is going to take that).

D'ant screwed himself, played Duhon the whole year 42/42 games at 30 minutes, know it is obvious and Robinson is hurt. He is in a head game battle with Hughes and like Robinson in December, he will take a loss rather than play the player that will give him a win. So Robinson is out, now your down to rookies. Hughes is getting 170K a game, D'Ant is a jealous dude, he wants money, "Charles Barkley quote". That's why he took New York over Chicago. Hughes a 12 year veteran is not going to be upset, he has earned over a 100 million and is very smart (you don't get into St. Louis University unless you have grades, I lived their for 50 years). They passed up program changer players the last 25 years, so they would not lower their standard. D'Ant doesn't know this, he knows little about any of his players, he treats them like a bad high school coach (or maybe thats his brother).

Hitman

Benchwarmer

We don't have enough cap space to sign Lee and a max-contract player. So we will probably lose him anyway.

I would only trade Lee if it got rid of Curry's contract. Otherwise hold on to him and see what happens in the offseason. We will most likely lose him for nothing but he is a decent fall-back option if no free agents sign here.

Although, I get the feeling we're going to sign Amare to a max contract because he's the only one that would sign with us. And we can't afford to sign Amare and Lee.

I hope you are wrong about that. I would rather have Lee over Amare. Better rebounder, more versatile scorer, better passer, equally woeful on defense.

I would stay away from Amare. He is nowhere near a max player.