Knicks Great Dick McGuire Passes Away

p0nder

Starter
NEW YORK, February 3, 2010 ? New York Knickerbockers legend and Basketball Hall-of-Famer Dick McGuire, who helped shape the franchise?s destiny for more than half a century, passed away today on Long Island at the age of 84. He died at Huntington Hospital of natural causes.

McGuire, who had been part of the Knicks for 53 of the franchise?s 64 seasons, served the team as a player, head coach, assistant coach, chief scout, and in his most current position of senior basketball consultant. His jersey No. 15 was retired on Mar. 1, 1992 and hangs from the rafters of Madison Square Garden. In 1993, McGuire was enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

?Dick McGuire was the epitome of what it means to be a Knickerbocker: pride, tradition and class,? said Donnie Walsh, President, Basketball Operations. ?It was an honor to watch him play for our hometown team and I consider myself very lucky to say I worked alongside a man who shaped the National Basketball Association for parts of all eight decades of its existence.?

The Bronx-native, born on Jan. 26, 1926, represented the Knicks in five NBA All-Star Games (1951, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956) and led the team to three straight NBA Finals appearances (1951, 1952, 1953). He is still third on the franchise?s all-time assists list (2,950).

McGuire is survived by his wife Teri, four grown children: Richard Jr., Leslie, Michael and Scott, and seven grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are pending.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/mcguirepasses_100203.html

R.I.P.

LaLa

Rookie
Dick McGuire was my uncle. To the sports world, he was one of the best players in the world of basketball, and one of the nicest and most modest people the game has ever seen (or probably will ever see). But, to those lucky enough to call him family or a close friend, he was always a world-class person first and foremost, who just happened to love basketball enough to make it his career. Basketball may have lost one of its finest today, but the world also lost one of the kindest human beings to walk this planet. We'll miss him tremendously.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Dick McGuire was my uncle. To the sports world, he was one of the best players in the world of basketball, and one of the nicest and most modest people the game has ever seen (or probably will ever see). But, to those lucky enough to call him family or a close friend, he was always a world-class person first and foremost, who just happened to love basketball enough to make it his career. Basketball may have lost one of its finest today, but the world also lost one of the kindest human beings to walk this planet. We'll miss him tremendously.

My condolence's

Giants89FLY

Rotation player
Sorry for your loss, My condolences to you and your family. May he rest in peace...

p0nder

Starter
Probably the most influential Knick of all time.... An absolute gentleman and total class act. We could all learn something from Dick McGuire's life.

R.I.P.

you'll be missed.