Countdown to NBA Lockout

Starks

Starter
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4895310

Not sure if anyone's been following this, but it appears the league is headed to a lockout faster than a comet.

What side is everone on?

I rarley side with owners, but this time its different. The owners are out for a vengence and seem to be just plain angry that NBA player contracts have gotten out of control. No one is mad at the LeBrons, Wades, and Melos out there, its the Eddy Currys, Theo Ratlfis, Larry Hughes, and so many others the owners are declaring war on.

Apparently fans arent the only ones who think its absolutley insane that these stiffs get paid more than what the Red Cross brings in, the owners now want to put an end to long contracts and guarenteed money.

Basically, if a player has a great walk year and gets a huge contract (Elton Brand in Philly), and becomes 10% of the player that a team thought they purchased, that player will now have his contract voided.

Contracts killed the trade market and these players have destroyed franchises. It's time for a change and I rather see a lockout than this go on

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4895310

Not sure if anyone's been following this, but it appears the league is headed to a lockout faster than a comet.

What side is everone on?

I rarley side with owners, but this time its different. The owners are out for a vengence and seem to be just plain angry that NBA player contracts have gotten out of control. No one is mad at the LeBrons, Wades, and Melos out there, its the Eddy Currys, Theo Ratlfis, Larry Hughes, and so many others the owners are declaring war on.

Apparently fans arent the only ones who think its absolutley insane that these stiffs get paid more than what the Red Cross brings in, the owners now want to put an end to long contracts and guarenteed money.

Basically, if a player has a great walk year and gets a huge contract (Elton Brand in Philly), and becomes 10% of the player that a team thought they purchased, that player will now have his contract voided.

Contracts killed the trade market and these players have destroyed franchises. It's time for a change and I rather see a lockout than this go on
The only problem is that if a player gets injured then you cant really say that he is not what the team expected...Injuries are avoidable in some cases but not all the time. It would not be fair if a player like Brand has bad numbers because of injuries....But if the minutes are there and the performance is low then I can agree with you.

-The players have a strong argument. Contracts are contracts, in every sport it is the same...why change it in basketball?
-Injuries can not be a reason to void a contract. Low performance caused by injuries can be an argument for the players like Brand.

Starks

Starter
The only problem is that if a player gets injured then you cant really say that he is not what the team expected...Injuries are avoidable in some cases but not all the time. It would not be fair if a player like Brand has bad numbers because of injuries....But if the minutes are there and the performance is low then I can agree with you.

-The players have a strong argument. Contracts are contracts, in every sport it is the same...why change it in basketball?
-Injuries can not be a reason to void a contract. Low performance caused by injuries can be an argument for the players like Brand.

Injuries is def a separate issue. If player is injured and can't perform, ala Allan Houston or Grant Hill, then that player should be protected. But injuries would have be carefully monitored. I think if the CBA got their way and injuries were a way for players to get their money, tons of players wouldn't suit up and even go as far to fake injuries.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

I agree that it's bull shit. It does absolutely ruin teams. Don't we all know it here in NY.

In order to allow contract terms that are reactionary (less money for less out put for example), the list of underlying clauses, red tape BS, exceptions etc. would be insanely intricate.

The owners have a right to be hating it, but imagine the amount of forced trades, refusals to play, in house dramas etc. that would result in such cases.

I don't think Stern could pull something like that off.

Just pay the ****ers less money. If they don't wanna play in the NBA for less cash, then let them move to Europe and get the die hards in instead.

Starks

Starter
I agree that it's bull shit. It does absolutely ruin teams. Don't we all know it here in NY.

In order to allow contract terms that are reactionary (less money for less out put for example), the list of underlying clauses, red tape BS, exceptions etc. would be insanely intricate.

The owners have a right to be hating it, but imagine the amount of forced trades, refusals to play, in house dramas etc. that would result in such cases.

I don't think Stern could pull something like that off.

Just pay the ****ers less money. If they don't wanna play in the NBA for less cash, then let them move to Europe and get the die hards in instead.

The owners came in to this round of CBA talks guns ablazing. But just like the MTA does to New Yorkers every few months, they ask for hell of a lot more than they know they can get and jsut work their way down to something that still favors them in the end. When it comes to negotiations, it really is an artistry how to manipulate and coerce publics into your position.

Most of these owners aren't even real fans of basketball. The are rich CEOs that bought into a product looking to make a profit. They have other streams of income, so many of them probably have no issue of a break from basketball. They look at balance sheets and other accounting reports instead of watching games. I wouldn't even be surprised to find out that half these owners don't even give a rat's ass about a championship. The players will hurt much more than the owners if a strike occurs.