Espn.com insider has Knicks going for Joe Johnson

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Hey guys,

First time post here. Cool message board.

Anyway, as for Joe Johnson, the guy is an excellent player who was simply awesome under Dantoni in Phoenix. Having said that, our number 1 target (assuming both Lebron and Wade stay put) should be Bosh. Bosh is a beast and he's so young. He truly is a top-ten player in the NBA. Johnson is very good but he's already 30 and he's a tiny step below being one of the handful of truly elite players in the league. If you get Bosh, then yeah, Johnson would be a tremendous 2nd grab. Otherwise, none of us are really going to be satisfied.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
So Joe Johnson turns down a 4 year/60 million extension to sign and stay with an up and coming Atlanta Hawks and you think he will sign with us for less. What planet are you living in?

It says quite clearly: "for example". And is a question of Johnson's worth vs the Knicks available space in contrast with a dire necessity to rebuild.

Clearly English is not your first language, so it's understandable that your grasp on some things isn't overly tight.

But.... Why is it every time I post something that you have trouble deciphering, you feel the need to try and correct or refute something you don't understand?

****ing net pest.

Scribbles

Rotation player
I honestly don't mind having Jeffries next year, since LeBron 2010 is looking impossible.

He is a top 5 defender WHEN guarding the wing. You pair him with a BIG defensive player and a mediocre defensive guard, we'd be a solid squad. Jeffries CANT be our #1 defender though. I do think he is an asset though. And we can still deal him after the season in hopes to
clear up some cap space.

But we have to win now to increase his trade value hence Donnie trying to get McGrady.

We have no vested interest in losing this season. We have to win....

iSaYughh

Starter
pretty servicable??? what games are u looking at... 'ugly' can't shoot for shit, 9 times out of 10 he gets stuff'd underneath... imo his "D" is waaay overrated... he just plain sux's..

and he is servicable... maybe at a couple of million, but if he gets traded, his cap space next year is 9.8m... is that servicable???

Nobody wants Jeffries off this team more than me. He still has value and is an asset -- to us? Fck no. But like Scribbles detailed, he does have value, is an asset, and would be for many teams. Basically a team that can swallow him being overpaid for a year just to have him refine their team in a playoff push.

We likely won't even be able to sign Johnson anyways, unless we lose Lee, so....

Until the big gay giraffe is dumped this is all fantasy land.

Oldtimer

Rotation player

Getting LeBron has always been a long-shot and I do not see it happening. If the Cavaliers get Amare before the deadline, even the most optimistic of us will give up.

DWade, if he does not stay in Miami, would certainly go to Chicago. And Bosh, if he goes anywhere, is likely to go to Miami.

That, perhaps, leaves only Johnson. He is good, but he is not a max contract player.

Stern says the owners will lose over $400M this year. How many are going to offer max contracts to players not named LeBron, Wade or perhaps Bosh?

I would not be surprised if the other free agents find only disappointing offers after July 1st. Lee has been good, at least offensively, but he is not an elite player compared to most of the other All Stars. I do not think he is going to get a $10M plus contracat offer from any team.

We are going to have to wait until 2011. Things will get interesting at that time. There will be a new Collective Bargaining Agreement or perhaps a lockout. We will have a draft pick, the expiring contracts of Curry and Jefferies and likely substantial cap space.

In the meantime, our only rumored deals involve TMac, Tyrus Thomas or Ridnour. In the absence of a draft pick, there is not a lot to look forward to for 2010

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Getting LeBron has always been a long-shot and I do not see it happening. If the Cavaliers get Amare before the deadline, even the most optimistic of us will give up.

DWade, if he does not stay in Miami, would certainly go to Chicago. And Bosh, if he goes anywhere, is likely to go to Miami.

That, perhaps, leaves only Johnson. He is good, but he is not a max contract player.

Stern says the owners will lose over $400M this year. How many are going to offer max contracts to players not named LeBron, Wade or perhaps Bosh?

I would not be surprised if the other free agents find only disappointing offers after July 1st. Lee has been good, at least offensively, but he is not an elite player compared to most of the other All Stars. I do not think he is going to get a $10M plus contracat offer from any team.

We are going to have to wait until 2011. Things will get interesting at that time. There will be a new Collective Bargaining Agreement or perhaps a lockout. We will have a draft pick, the expiring contracts of Curry and Jefferies and likely substantial cap space.

In the meantime, our only rumored deals involve TMac, Tyrus Thomas or Ridnour. In the absence of a draft pick, there is not a lot to look forward to for 2010

I agree, it looks more and more like 2011 is going to be our year to make major moves. That does not mean Walsh is a failure either. He put fiscal sanity back into the Knicks organization and has stopped trading away our draft picks. 2011 either way should be a big year for us.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
2011 should be big year but IMO success depends on what is going right now. First thing - we need more wins to hell, be more atractive place to land some high calibre FA.
Second thing - we don't need unnecessary new players. Of course we could hire smb but who the hell is available ? What does it change - nothing or in best way we could win few more games... We should focus on preparing to trade bonanza after season. Choose definetely players who stay and make evt to sell the rest.

Evb put hopes on next year but scenario with to be left out in the cold is not so far with nyk ****heads management.

AlboKnickFan

Benchwarmer
lol we have to break that curse...if the piece of dirt red sox can break a huge curse like they had...then the knicks can do it...have faith!

We are not cursed, we just have a piece of shit owner like James Dolan who has ****ed this team up and who has turned MSG from the worlds most famous arena and known as a defensive temple, to the worlds least famous arena..

DOLAN needs to sell the team to someone who cares and loves basketball.

WE NEED THAT IDIOT OUT, and then trust me everything will be fine.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
2011 should be big year but IMO success depends on what is going right now. First thing - we need more wins to hell, be more atractive place to land some high calibre FA.
Second thing - we don't need unnecessary new players. Of course we could hire smb but who the hell is available ? What does it change - nothing or in best way we could win few more games... We should focus on preparing to trade bonanza after season. Choose definetely players who stay and make evt to sell the rest.

Evb put hopes on next year but scenario with to be left out in the cold is not so far with nyk ****heads management.

I have no idea what you just said.

Scribbles

Rotation player
Why wouldn't David Lee get $10 Million now that he's an All Star. Compared to others in his position, he excells past them.

I initially thought he wasn't worth it last offseason. But for the most part you have to think...

Why wouldn't David Lee get a 5 Year deal totalling $55-60 million dollars. Even so, he's still making significantly LESS than others at his position who play worse than him.

If he takes a cut for this offseason in an effort to sign a LeBron expect it to be worth more... though I dont think he's going to do that whatsoever.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
"Free" Market Economy

I posted a comment that David Lee probably would not see a $10M multi-year contract in 2010. My comment was less an observation as to what Lee might "deserve" when compared to current contracts for other players than it was a prediction that owners are going to be making low ball offers in 2010.

We live in a "free" market economy. The players can only get what owners are willing to pay them. The owners want a new CBA that will greatly diminish amounts applied to player salaries. With the exception of players like LeBron or Wade, I do not see owners ponying up to big contracts for 2010 and then arguing the need to reduce player salaries drastically when the current CBA expires in July of 2011. In the period after July 1, 2010, I expect to hear union charges of owner conspiracy on free agent offers.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I really like watching Joe Johnson play, I knew it was a great pickup for the Hawks when they signed him. That being said, he declined Atlanta's extension because he wants the MAX. As much as I appreciate his game, there's no way Donnie should be handing out a MAX contract to JJ. If we can get him for 12 mil or less, then I'm all for it. Sadly that is way unrealistic, this is probably the last big contract he is going to get, he's probably going for the most money.

KBlack25

Starter
Joe Johnson is pretty good, certainly a decent guy to make your #1, but look at the Hawks team around him. J-Smoove is a monster, Al Horford is a defensive/rebounding beast, Mike Bibby is a pretty good PG, Marvin Williams is probably the best 4th option in the league and Crawford is finally where he needs to be, coming off the bench, and doing it well. JJ benefits from having a lot of very good talent around him. He's good sure, but he's no way worth the max contract and the Knicks don't have enough talent to surround this guy. He's not a one-man-show the way LeBron or D-Wade are, just a pretty good #1 option.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
Joe Johnson is pretty good, certainly a decent guy to make your #1, but look at the Hawks team around him. J-Smoove is a monster, Al Horford is a defensive/rebounding beast, Mike Bibby is a pretty good PG, Marvin Williams is probably the best 4th option in the league and Crawford is finally where he needs to be, coming off the bench, and doing it well. JJ benefits from having a lot of very good talent around him. He's good sure, but he's no way worth the max contract and the Knicks don't have enough talent to surround this guy. He's not a one-man-show the way LeBron or D-Wade are, just a pretty good #1 option.

I agree. I think he'd be great paired with Bosh (and I suppose I'd consider a max contract for him if we had Bosh secured) but I would not be satisfied making him our number 1 option.