The Official We Want Jeff Van Gundy Thread

Paul1355

All Star
not me sorry....hearing Van Gundy as an announcer is dreadful. He is horrible. He should pack it up all together.

Paul1355

All Star
I think he meant for Head Coach. I just want a defensive minded coach. Jeff will do.

Patrick Ewing would do as a replacement for Herb Williams(our current defensive assistant coach) which means that Herb sucks IMO.

Head Coach would have to be someone with awareness during games, which Mike D lacks....a good strategizer IN THE GAME and not before it.

I don't mind Mark Jackson as head coach, honestly.

Starks

Starter
Patrick Ewing would do as a replacement for Herb Williams(our current defensive assistant coach) which means that Herb sucks IMO.

Head Coach would have to be someone with awareness during games, which Mike D lacks....a good strategizer IN THE GAME and not before it.

I don't mind Mark Jackson as head coach, honestly.

Herb hasn't done a single damn thing for this franchise other than hold a clipboard. Yet he's paraded around like some sort of Knick icon. He was never anything more than a fan favorite for MSG to cheer for to get playing time during blow outs. He's like a "Rick Roll" that's gone way too far. He's useless and needs to go. Thank you.

Sage

Rotation player
At least as an assistant.

Bring back defensive effort and the ability to run half-court offense.

Man my dreams for the Knicks really are simple these days....:boohoo:

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Ive been saying it a while, JVG is perfect! Imagine him, with Ewing as Ass. coach. Guys like douglas, chandler, gallo would become defensive monsters.

Get him back donnie!

nyk_nyk

All Star
Herb hasn't done a single damn thing for this franchise other than hold a clipboard. Yet he's paraded around like some sort of Knick icon. He was never anything more than a fan favorite for MSG to cheer for to get playing time during blow outs. He's like a "Rick Roll" that's gone way too far. He's useless and needs to go. Thank you.

I agree. This dude has been arounnd for all these losing teams and has done nothing to change it. I rarely see him in Dantoni's ear during games and in the huddle he's just listening like everyone else. Didn't he come from the dominant Knicks teams of the 90's??? He should have a lot to offer. Get him the hell out of here and bring someone in who can help coach. Oh yeah, take Dantoni with you.

I was hoping we got Mark Jackson anyway.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Ive been saying it a while, JVG is perfect! Imagine him, with Ewing as Ass. coach. Guys like douglas, chandler, gallo would become defensive monsters.

Get him back donnie!

Maybe an ASS. coach would get Curry to play some damn basetball.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Do we really want a coach that quit on us.

JVG would be great. But stop with the D'antoni hating.

I'll say it time and time again. You need players to win.

I dont care who's coaching, No coach can make this team better.

Do you really think Doc Rivers is a much better coach the D'antoni.

in '05-'06 season he was 33-49 in 06'-'07 he was 24-58. Lost 18 games in a row that season. All with Pierce. How the hell does he win 66 games and a championship the NEXT year in '08. Oh yea KG, Ray Allen, then everyone and their mother wanted to play for Boston after that. Do you think Doc changed his ways. Nooooooooooooooooo.

When this team gets good and can't win us a championship then we can consider a change. Right now a new coach wont help.

JVG would never come here with this roster.

JayJ44

Starter
Why would anyone think Marc Jackson would be a better coach when he's never coached before? What makes you think he would have done any better than D'antoni? It would have been a terrible idea to hire a rookie coach, we needed someone with experience.

As for Van Gundy, I'm pretty sure he's done with coaching.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
This is the same poster who proposed us to sign Lawrence Frank....

So NO

And @ Paul...I don't mind Van Gundy as an annoucer, at least he isn't a bore to listen to.

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
1) I love Van Gundy as both a coach and an announcer

2) With number 1 stated clearly, I must say that I think D'antoni is getting way too much criticism on this message board. The guy has one of the worst collections of talent in the NBA right now. I really don't think it's fair to judge the guy until he gets some better players.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
He's not HORRIBLE as an announcer; he's just not exciting

No, we are this talentless.

Heh. I can't help but look at this topic and smile.
I always liked Jeff Van Gundy (and Stan, but he's got more to boast about now), even if the little bugger looked like a wounded raccoon half the time.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
why jeff left us in 2001:(, because of dolan ownership ? I've heard that he want eventually return to coaching ?

This try to make nyk run'n'gun isn't really worked as everybody see...

X-FACTOR

Rookie
im with you. JVG's defensive system is a proven one.And his offense is very simple mainly PICK n ROLL/POP, Back door cuts, curl..very basic and with shooters like HOUSE and a perimeter threat like TMAC, we can spread the floor and w/ a PG like SERGIO, we can also pick up the pace and run like SKIP TO MY LOU did during JVG's coaching stintin H-TOWN. So, a good half court system in JVG and a PG that can push the ball when necessary i think JVG would be a good fit.JVG i believe can turn this soft team into nasty pitbulls hehehe man i really miss the toughness and hustle that the KNICKS had in the 90's.

X-FACTOR

Rookie
dont get me wrong guys im not hating on coach MIKE. He really did inherited an awful team. But im a JVG fan.