The Official Sergio Rodriguez Thread

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
I didn't like he didn't go to the rim in the 2nd half a couple of times. Sure, he wasn't having his night before that, but he should have shot some easy layups instead of forcing passes to the 3p line.

Is he starter quality? Right now, it's very questionable, but hell, he's 23 years old. He's only been starter last season in Portland when Steve Blake got injured. He did it pretty well, but he was there for 3 years. He hasn't been here for a whole week yet. He is going to be inconsistant if he starts. He needs adpatation, both to the team and high responsabilites as he is given here. He comes from being in and out in the rotations in Sacramento and I feared about what happened yesterday (he'd have some more assists if the team hadn't a very shitty percentages tough) IMHO I would play him around 24 minutes until he gets rythm and knows a little more his teammates, play Douglas a little more (the kid doesn't deserve DNP or 3 minutes appereances) or even play House as PG if outside shooting is needed.

D'Antoni will develop Sergio these 20 games. This is the first time Knicks have a talented pass-first PM since the glory times of Marc Jackson and Rod Strickland back in the '90s. Lots of years with talented shoot-first guards (Marbury, Robinson, Crawford,...) or mediocre no-shooter, no-passer, no-****ing-thing PM (Duhon, Ward, Childs...)There are not so many pure play-makers in the League and they are expensive (Nash, Miller, kidd,...). If NY is signing 2 max free agents next summer, they will need cheap, young, under-rated players and Rodr?guez is, but first he needs 20 starts, confidence, and knowing he's not be benched at first TO or missed threepointer, as McMillan used to do.

nyk_nyk

All Star
D'Antoni will develop Sergio these 20 games. This is the first time Knicks have a talented pass-first PM since the glory times of Marc Jackson and Rod Strickland back in the '90s. Lots of years with talented shoot-first guards (Marbury, Robinson, Crawford,...) or mediocre no-shooter, no-passer, no-****ing-thing PM (Duhon, Ward, Childs...)There are not so many pure play-makers in the League and they are expensive (Nash, Miller, kidd,...). If NY is signing 2 max free agents next summer, they will need cheap, young, under-rated players and Rodr?guez is, but first he needs 20 starts, confidence, and knowing he's not be benched at first TO or missed threepointer, as McMillan used to do.

Dantoni doesn't develop players and he doesn't teach fundamental basketball. This is not any hate towards Dantoni, it's just the plain truth.

Dantoni doesn't develop players and he doesn't teach fundamental basketball. This is not any hate towards Dantoni, it's just the plain truth.

You're right, perhaps I didn't choose the correct word in "develop". Sergio has more basket fundamentals than the average league player, IMO. He just need psychical develop and you get this playing, not benching. He needs to see himself as a solid starting PG. And of course, improve his shooting, neither D'Antoni job.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
another good game by sergio...I'm liking this...

maybe we won't have to find a point guard in the offseason...just resign sergio.

I didn't like he didn't go to the rim in the 2nd half a couple of times. Sure, he wasn't having his night before that, but he should have shot some easy layups instead of forcing passes to the 3p line.

Is he starter quality? Right now, it's very questionable, but hell, he's 23 years old. He's only been starter last season in Portland when Steve Blake got injured. He did it pretty well, but he was there for 3 years. He hasn't been here for a whole week yet. He is going to be inconsistant if he starts. He needs adpatation, both to the team and high responsabilites as he is given here. He comes from being in and out in the rotations in Sacramento and I feared about what happened yesterday (he'd have some more assists if the team hadn't a very shitty percentages tough) IMHO I would play him around 24 minutes until he gets rythm and knows a little more his teammates, play Douglas a little more (the kid doesn't deserve DNP or 3 minutes appereances) or even play House as PG if outside shooting is needed.
Stop being so skeptical in order not to look like not objective! ;)

The Knicks won't get to the playoff, and meanwhile they have a chance to give a young and talented player the coach like and that fits the system (like starter or not) his first opportunity to play. Nothing to loose but a lot to win.

Beside, you need to re-establish the Sergio's fan group at the Knicks forum.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Serg is the man!! dude was nasty and going at Rondo the whole time, even getting the best of him at times! resign him dude will only get better i was impressed with his play last night , we gotta keep this dude

There where a lot of usual great moments but this one I think worth uploading:

Sergio Rodrigeuz with a block and a steal against Nate Robinson

Good player for this system. I think he can average 10-13 pts and 5-7 assists for the rest of the year. Not bad when we had to deal with Chris Duhon for most of the year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
There where a lot of usual great moments but this one I think worth uploading:

Sergio Rodrigeuz with a block and a steal against Nate Robinson

That was friggin' brilliant.

EDIT: And notice how Nate got NO love from the Knicks when he came into the game? Stone cold. He could very well not be missed by the boys because of his clowning? I dunno. I miss him less than they do.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I was unable to watch the game against Boston live recently, but I've just watched a downloaded copy and there was honestly (in the 1st half at least) nothing separating S Rod and Rondo.

If Sergio keeps that kind of play up then he's a keeper.

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
I think he can do it better. Well, his shoot was above what he usually does (he's not a great shooter but as the Boston game, he can hit some 3s when he's wide open), but I think he can make a lot more of assists. He says in his blog he hadn't trained with the team yet, so I guess he'll be putting up 10+ assists in a week or two.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. I think he played in a game with them before he ever actually practiced with them...and he ended up doing better than Chris Duhon. He's no Steve Nash, but at the very least he's somewhat of a threat from the field (whereas Duhon was such a bad shooter that teams pretty much ignored him).

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
Being a threat it's so much IMHO - I don't spect him to make 18 points regularly, he'll surely have 0/3 nights from the 3 point line. But if he's wide open and he is left 1 or 2 seconds to shoot as against Boston he usually hits them. His shoot is under the spected for a starting PG, however he is improving in a regular way, he has gone from .282 in his rookie year to .357 this year. He surely keeps working hard on his shoot. Anyways, I don't think it's a real problem, shooting can be trained, but having such amazing court vision it's very hard to find. And he hasn't showed it yet at full...

metrocard

Legend
To the man who posted the Rodriguez video...

We got the total opposite of Duhon.

An active quick PG who's always moving...
Now our offense can be at full potential.
D'Antoni knew from the momment Rodriguez hit the floor, he had something special and couldn't keep him on the bench.

Hopefully Duhon hits the 3rd string for good.

th3realicon

Rotation player
Sergio is a baller however what cools him off in many peoples minds is the fact that his scoring is Duhon'like at best. However being a PG and spreading the ball the way he can he would fit in nicely for the Knicks. I really hope he pans out, however Rubio would be a dream instead.

My summery of Sergio's game @Raptors, with the good and the bad things. It's at high definition so I recommend to see it from the youtube site, not embedded here.
I wrote some things at the descriptions (you'll see it if you click on "more info" from the youtube itself, not the embedded here) :

Last edited: