Steph May Take Kidd's U.S. Spot

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
Stephon Marbury and Jason Kidd forever will be bound by a famous trade and perhaps by a bad knee as well.
Marbury, the Knicks' point guard, is regarded as a top candidate to replace Kidd on the Olympic team, according to a NBA official with knowledge of USA Basketball's selection process. Kidd, who won a gold medal at the Sydney Games in 2000, is considering pulling out of the Games in Athens because of a sore left knee that may require off-season surgery.

The Lakers' Kobe Bryant already has withdrawn his name from the team because of his upcoming sexual assault trial. Seattle's Ray Allen is also close to pulling out because his wife is expecting to give birth in early August. Karl Malone is also mulling not playing. The team will open training camp July 26 and play its first game of the Olympics on Aug. 15.

Marbury, according to an official, is on a "short list" of point guards who would replace Kidd. The Timberolves' Sam Cassell, the Hornets' Baron Davis and Houston's Steve Francis are also under consideration. Sacramento's Mike Bibby already is on the team.

Marbury has several factors working in his favor: he can play either guard position and has experience in the international game, having playing for a Junior Olympic team in 1994. Also, Marbury has expressed a willingness to participate in the Olympics.

In March, Marbury said: "That would be a dream come true. I've played in an Olympic type of setting. I know the meaning behind being on a team like that. To represent your country as one of the best would be awesome."

Marbury has a strong ally in Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who is lobbying USA Basketball on his behalf. Thomas also has a close relationship with Larry Brown, who will coach the Olympic team, and Thomas attended last year's qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico.

Thomas was on the 1980 Olympic team but that year the United States boycotted the Moscow Games. He then was at the center of a controversy when he was omitted from the original Dream Team in 1992 despite having won two NBA titles.

The selection committee is expected to meet early next week, when it officially will name the Nets' Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin to the team. Kidd, traded for Marbury three years ago, likely will wait until after the playoffs are over before making his decision.

Kidd, Bryant, Allen and Malone are all still on the active roster, along with Tim Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson and Bibby.

"That would be a dream come true. I've played in an Olympic type of setting. I know the meaning behind being on a team like that. To represent your country as one of the best would be awesome."

That would be great for stephon....
I think he deserves it.....

kriss childs

Benchwarmer
Im sure Steph would do a great job.Anyone remember the ALL STAR GAME when he and A.I. took over and beat the WEST ALL STARS all by themselves? That was incredible.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
i'd be really glad for him to see him in the olympic team, at least we'll know he won't be wasting time. remember what a good impression vince carter made at sidney? i wish marbury could do the same thing.
the only matter that concerns me is whether he comes back healthy or not. i have to say, this is a big risk

so.. who else is going to athens?

Hoagies99

Benchwarmer
this can be mad for the knicks tho, marbury was 1 of the league leaders in minutes this year and he always busts his ass when playing, he might get tired the end of the season and playoff time, but yeah he does diserve it because hes THAT GOOD

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
i think he knows his body. if he thinks he can handle it, its his choice. anyone know his injury status during his career?

jayp

Benchwarmer
it's a great opp for him to showcase his skills.. he may not be able to run the break as well as kidd but no one in the L can run the pick and roll like Steph can.. i hope he gets chosen, imagine, STEPH and AI running all around busting ankles :) As far as health concerns, he knows what he is getting into so he knows when to sacrifice his body.. can't wait to see him in uniform:)

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
Kidd Will Pass On Athens

AUBURN HILLS - Jason Kidd said yesterday he likely will pull out of the Olympics. "I'll probably pass," Kidd said. "We'll see how I feel. The knee has nothing to do with it. I haven't made a decision yet. If I had to decide today I would probably pass."

Kidd said he needs a break after two consecutive short summers due to two NBA Finals runs and an Olympic qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico last summer.

While Kidd's sore left knee won't be what keeps him from going to Athens, he may need surgery on it in the offseason.

Kidd's decision to pass on Athens could have an impact on Stephon Marbury, who is hoping to be added to the U.S. team.

While Kidd says his knee is fine, the stats seem to say otherwise.

Kidd was dominated by Chauncey Billups last night as the Pistons' point guard scored 28 points with 13 assists.

Kidd managed just eight points and 11 assists while shooting only 3-of-13 from the field.

Hope he does pass.....
I think Marbury would love it....

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea he would definitely shine. who would be able to stop him? he and bibby could even play together and that would be LETHAL!!!. anybody know about ai?

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
pyotrveliky said:
yea he would definitely shine. who would be able to stop him? he and bibby could even play together and that would be LETHAL!!!. anybody know about ai?

dont think ai is playing....

JJtheKnick

Starter
he should in my opinion hes the best pg he can passs and shoot
kidd can pass and he can shoot but not as good as marbury

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
yea thats the difference. kidds passes may be a lil flashier, but there numbers are almost the same. marbury can definitely light it up much more than kidd can.

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
this Olympic team is going to look very different than the one that was assembled last year. Bron, Melon, and Marbury will all likely be on the team. They will probably have to add a college player or two, like they used to do. No one wants to play.

Malone, KG, Kobe, Kidd, AI, T-Mac, Allen, and VC are all out of it. There may be more, but those are the only one's I know about. And Shaq won't play, most likely.

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
jsm0331 said:
this Olympic team is going to look very different than the one that was assembled last year. Bron, Melon, and Marbury will all likely be on the team. They will probably have to add a college player or two, like they used to do. No one wants to play.

Malone, KG, Kobe, Kidd, AI, T-Mac, Allen, and VC are all out of it. There may be more, but those are the only one's I know about. And Shaq won't play, most likely.

why is everyone dropping out..!!!!

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
report today was that Amare might join.

another reason for a lot of them dropping out is a lot of them are concerned about the security issue. They don't want to get bombed or anything.

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
jsm0331 said:
report today was that Amare might join.

another reason for a lot of them dropping out is a lot of them are concerned about the security issue. They don't want to get bombed or anything.

that would be great amare is the Sh*T......
he's one of the best pfs....
in my personal perspective....