Walker vs Chandler

nyk_nyk

All Star
Over the last couple of games, Walker has gotten some good minutes due to Chandler being out of the lineup. Overall I like what I've seen so far. Walker seems to have a lot of upside and brings something we haven't had in a long while. This summer, Walsh has to make some decisions about who to keep or let go and I believe Walker is a guy we should definitely invest in plus he would barely cost us anything.

Now I now some of you will say that you can't really assume anything in this short amount of time. However, there are some signs which lead me to believe that Walker (if given quality minutes) will produce more than Chandler. There are times when Chandler fades out of games in the 2nd half even when he's having a good game. This is obviously due to a lack of aggressiveness. Walker seems to have plenty of confidence and the skills to go with it plus he runs the floor well.

Here are the main reasons why RIGHT NOW I like Walker over Chandler:
  • Emotion and agressiveness
  • Doesn't seem to have a great jumpshot but can create of the dribble and finish strong
  • Walker is more explosive and will probably get to the FT line more often
  • A constant presence on the floor
  • Pretty good basketball I.Q (so far)
  • Understands spacing on offense
Defensively, Walker is below average so he will need to work on that along with his jumpshot.

If Walker is really the player (on a consistent basis) that he's showing then this just creates more trade opportunities for Walsh this summer. I think Chandler has decent trade value so a number of teams could be interested in him.

Thoughts?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Good post. I am one of those that thinks we have not seen enough of Walker to make an informed decision. The Cavs game was a huge blowout so I don't count that as much as the Pistons game since most of his points were during garbage time. He is definitely athletic and shows an aggressiveness we all wish Chandler would show. He is young, cheap, comes from a winning culture and has tremendous upside but it is just too soon to make a definitive judgment.

Chandler has improved each year and I don't think he has hit his full potential. Chandler is also very athletic but is not consistently assertive and not very savvy. This may be a product of the losing culture that permeates the Knicks and it also may be a lck of veteran leadership. Lets remember that Chandler learned from the likes of Marbury, Crawford and Randolph...hardly smart veterans that command respect and lead by example. Part of me thinks with the right superstar that Chandler can thrive and reach his potential.

In conclusion, it's a great problem to have for the Knicks. We have two young guys with a lot of upside and have the luxury of picking which direction to go in. I think trade opportunities and time will make the deciding factor on what player to keep.

P.S. I predict Chandler will be packaged along with Curry's contract near the trade deadline next year so Walker may end up being a keeper.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Early call...

They're on par athletically I think. Walker's desire will be his advantage to oversee Chandler's roll as starter.

Chandler, ever the mono tempered guy, will no doubt sit back and let Walker take it from him.

Fine by me.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i think with Walker shining and showing he can play( so far ) we just need to see more out of him on a consistent basis and if he could keep it up he then makes Chandler expendable and we could perhaps use him to get a C

nyk_nyk

All Star
Good post. I am one of those that thinks we have not seen enough of Walker to make an informed decision. The Cavs game was a huge blowout so I don't count that as much as the Pistons game since most of his points were during garbage time. He is definitely athletic and shows an aggressiveness we all wish Chandler would show. He is young, cheap, comes from a winning culture and has tremendous upside but it is just too soon to make a definitive judgment.

Chandler has improved each year and I don't think he has hit his full potential. Chandler is also very athletic but is not consistently assertive and not very savvy. This may be a product of the losing culture that permeates the Knicks and it also may be a lck of veteran leadership. Lets remember that Chandler learned from the likes of Marbury, Crawford and Randolph...hardly smart veterans that command respect and lead by example. Part of me thinks with the right superstar that Chandler can thrive and reach his potential.

In conclusion, it's a great problem to have for the Knicks. We have two young guys with a lot of upside and have the luxury of picking which direction to go in. I think trade opportunities and time will make the deciding factor on what player to keep.

P.S. I predict Chandler will be packaged along with Curry's contract near the trade deadline next year so Walker may end up being a keeper.

I agree we need to see more of him before making any major decision. There are just little things I see in him that make me believe he could replace Chandler. I see both of them as being about the same athletically but when you have that gift then its so important to have that fire mentality to go along with it. Hopefully we'll see more of Walker and if he's truly the real deal.

Also, i've been reading up on him and it seems like if his knee injuries didn't slow his career a bit then he might have been a mid first round pick.

petescud

Starter
Its a win win. Cause if we show he can play, then his trade value will rise...either one of them...

YOLO

Rookie
Chandler is a great overall talent that is 100% healthy now.
Chandler's only problem is he'd rather shoot LOW % Jumpers all day, then take HIGH % layups/drives to the hoop.
Chandler reminds me of Houston. We need to see more emotion from him.

Walker had knee surgery. ( I haven't really looked into that yet )
Walker has great agressiveness, and the ability to take it STRONG to the hoop.
Walker's Jumper doesn't look great, although he has hit some 3's.

Chandler has actually pissed me off this year with shooting all them BS 19 FT Jumpers on the Fast Break. For GodSakes, take it to the hoop, get someone in foul trouble, take a HIGH % shot...

Walker: It's way too early to tell, but I like what I see if he remains healthy.
I don't like him as a starter, but a nice 7th man to come in and tear shit up for a few minutes hear and there...

As of now, I'd rather watch Walker yelling/screaming after a DUNK, then Chandler shooting a game winning jumper walking off the court like nothing happened...

-Y.O.L.O.

nyk_nyk

All Star
As of now, I'd rather watch Walker yelling/screaming after a DUNK, then Chandler shooting a game winning jumper walking off the court like nothing happened...

I'm sure most people would agree with you on that.

:beer:

New New York

Quiet Storm
funny thing is that I have missed the last two games and have not seen what this kid is doing, but his boxscore Numbers are off the hook! And looking at his contract for next season, there is even more reason to be excited

That said.....In this offense any player can look good for a short stretch (think Duhon from November to January of last year) it can make a talanted player look like an All Star (think Al Harrington), I am not convinced yet that he is even starter worthy.

I know we look at his age at what he has done when he has played, but Boston has had an even closer look at this kid for the past two season and they gave him up along with two other players and some second round picks....meaning they must not have been too high on him!

Still coaches have been wrong about talent that is sitting on their bench -think players like Ben Wallace and StephEn Jackson- and trades them away not realizing their potential

I know some people don't like Wil, but Wilson is my dude! People dont like his lack of emotion, but niether are players like Rashard Lewis and Derrick Rose arent the most emotional player, I say let their game do the talking

p0nder

Starter
i think chandler has probably lost his starting potion for the short term but will still get lots of minutes shared with house/walker.

Walker has been impressive and in basketball you always go with the hot hand. I don't know what wil's personal reasons for leaving the team are but it would be nice to see him come back and have a break out game. perhaps the competitiveness will come out in him with his starting job on the line....

NY_Swagger

Benchwarmer
Bill.Walker.jpg

1792988630.jpg

Like many notice Chandler's personality causes him to lack aggressiveness and becomes inconsistent while scoring 14pts in the first half and 2pts in the 2nd.

Walker is an energy player who seems to be apart of most plays while on the floor with skills similar to Chandler if not better. Chandler's plus is that he can play multiple positions and is a better defender right now than Walker. Chandler is expendable now if there are no more concerns of Walker's knees.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
funny thing is that I have missed the last two games and have not seen what this kid is doing, but his boxscore Numbers are off the hook! And looking at his contract for next season, there is even more reason to be excited

That said.....In this offense any player can look good for a short stretch (think Duhon from November to January of last year) it can make a talanted player look like an All Star (think Al Harrington), I am not convinced yet that he is even starter worthy.

I know we look at his age at what he has done when he has played, but Boston has had an even closer look at this kid for the past two season and they gave him up along with two other players and some second round picks....meaning they must not have been too high on him!

Still coaches have been wrong about talent that is sitting on their bench -think players like Ben Wallace and StephEn Jackson- and trades them away not realizing their potential

I know some people don't like Wil, but Wilson is my dude! People dont like his lack of emotion, but niether are players like Rashard Lewis and Derrick Rose arent the most emotional player, I say let their game do the talking

Boston also gave up on Joe Johnson. Look at him now.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And even in that case Al Jefferson was a different case cause they picked up Kevin Garnett in the trade.

From Wikipedia:

Midway through his rookie season, Johnson was traded to the Phoenix Suns along with guards Randy Brown, Milt Palacio and a first round pick for veteran forward Rodney Rogers and guard Tony Delk on February 20, 2002.

So...Johnson was traded for nobody all that important. And look at him now. Walker might not have made a huge impact in the league yet, but he's only 22. Johnson didn't begin to make an impact until he was 24 either, so who knows what Walker will become. I'm not saying he'll end up being a big time superstar, but he's got potential and we might as well play him since he brings energy to the team first of all and second of all it's not like we're going to the playoffs anyway

CoolClyde

Wil the Thrill vs Sky Walker

interesting comparison, definitely a good problem to have. Both players are about same athletically speaking, Walker seems to have higher IQ (Bball +).
His knees are looking pretty good right now, and seems to be a keeper for the future and for the price.

Wil the thrill keeps getting better, and, other than Walker, is the only player on the Knicks who can sky for alley oops.

I'd be happy keeping them both, it's nice to have the same quality athlete available for whole game. If Wil needs to be shipped for a quality Center or Point Guard, however, I'm all for it. that's our true need. now.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Chandler> Walker

I'm liking what I've been seeing from Walker though. I love his passion and assertiveness. Something Chandler does NOT have. Still Will the Thrill is the better talent, and more versatile. We should keep both of them unless we get a homerun deal for Chandler. Let's not forget it's only two games by Walker, Chandler has been somewhat consistent for longer. If only Will had some fire inside of him.... No doubt Walker will be more liked though because of his passion. Just look at this thread, people support Walker over Will already after only two games.

But let's not forget that Walsh and D'antoni care more about Chandler's development more than Walker's. So Chandler will still continue to get more minutes.

My dream scenario would be both continuing to play well this season. Then we use Chandler and package a deal for Rubio..... I know I've said that like a gagillion times, but I get a wet dream just imagining Rubio in this system.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Keep Wilson Chandler and Bill Walker. They're both good. Walker can play shooting guard, and Chandler can play small forward. I think it's way too early to assume Walker is better than Chandler or that he's even as good, but Walker definitely is a good player, either as a starter or off the bench. You don't need a 20 point per game player at every position to be successful.