Rotation still all wrong

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Why is Harringon playing 30 minutes? He is no more a part of the Knicks future than Duhon is. Lee should be the starting PF not the starting center. Jordan Hill should have been his primary backup, and now that should be Gallinari. So Harrington is the third string PF and should have started the season as the fourth stringer (bad attitude, selfish on offense, no defense). The starting center should be either Bender or Curry. Why? Because these are the only centers on the team. Milicic should have been used when he was on the team. Hill or Jeffries made more sense playing center out of position (because of their defense) than Lee ever did or does. But more to the point, if you don't like a player, ask the GM for an upgrade. Don't force someone else to ruin their career playing out of position for more than a few months (because of injuries - not because you don't like some other player). McGrady should be the starting SF, with Chandler as his primary backup. The starting SG should be Walker with House as his primary backup, and the starting PG should be Toney Douglas with Rodriguez as his primary backup.

D'Antoni has the right to make other choices in terms of who starts and who backs up. He does not have the right to have half the team playing out of position all season; and to give some players 30 minutes per night and others DNPs when there is no discernable talent difference #2 to #15. McGrady is the only player on the team whose talent warrants 30 to 40 minutes a game, and he is not yet in sufficient shape to do so.

Just like a good boss, a good coach is not a benign dictator, let alone an abusive one. A good head coach works cooperatively with talented professionals (players, scouts, other coaches) to get the most out of their talents. Unfortunately, abusive counter-productive workplaces are endemic to American Capitalism, not just to the NBA or the Knicks.

Other notes: D'Antoni still commonly fails to make offensive/defensive switches at crunch time. He also does not seem to ever make defensive adjustments, let alone defensive substitutions. His timeout during the Pistons game when the ball was being brought out of the backcourt was a horrendous brain-fart. You either call time out immediately or when the ball is in the front-court. The resulting 8-second turnover was totally coach's fault.

Kiyaman

Legend
Celebrity Damntoni rotation

Thank-u Thank-u Thank-u

The Knicks Rotation was so out of place in the Preseason Games ex-player Marbury cracked jokes on the horrendous rotation and the undiscipline 3-ball shooting.
NBA Sport commentators was so shock by the Knicks rotation of players from the Preseason games to the Knicks first 10 games of the regular season (1-9 start), the Knicks received less than 30 seconds of discussion of air time on every sports show "well, the Knicks is off to the worst start in their career history in the NBA, with a 1-9 start.". And 30 seconds of sports annoucers shaking their head.... End of discussion.

Was our Knick roster of "Rental-Players" or expiring-contract players....with NBA experience only good enough to give us a 1-9 start? HELL NO!
Our "rental-Players" as our Starters was a 5-5 record:

C-Darko (5 yr ex) shot blocking
PF-Lee (4 yr ex) rebounding
SF-Harrington (10 yr ex) scoring
SG-Hughes (12 yr ex) defend the passing lane
PG-Duhon (5 yr ex) passing
6th Man combo-guard Nate (4 yr ex) creative scoring
With a bench of:
SF-Chandler, SF-Gallo, PF-Hill, SF-Jefferies, Douglas, Landry, and Curry

The Knicks started the season with 12 decent "Role-Players" on their roster, having no star or all-star players on the roster.....which automatically meant the Knicks game to game rotation of players should've been a 10-man rotation.
The Knicks should've been in pursuit of "T-Mac" at the start of the 2009 offseason (a scoring SG)...

Toons

is the Bo$$
Thank-u Thank-u Thank-u

The Knicks Rotation was so out of place in the Preseason Games ex-player Marbury cracked jokes on the horrendous rotation and the undiscipline 3-ball shooting.
NBA Sport commentators was so shock by the Knicks rotation of players from the Preseason games to the Knicks first 10 games of the regular season (1-9 start), the Knicks received less than 30 seconds of discussion of air time on every sports show "well, the Knicks is off to the worst start in their career history in the NBA, with a 1-9 start.". And 30 seconds of sports annoucers shaking their head.... End of discussion.

Was our Knick roster of "Rental-Players" or expiring-contract players....with NBA experience only good enough to give us a 1-9 start? HELL NO!
Our "rental-Players" as our Starters was a 5-5 record:

With a bench of:
SF-Chandler, SF-Gallo, PF-Hill, SF-Jefferies, Douglas, Landry, and Curry

The Knicks started the season with 12 decent "Role-Players" on their roster, having no star or all-star players on the roster.....which automatically meant the Knicks game to game rotation of players should've been a 10-man rotation.
The Knicks should've been in pursuit of "T-Mac" at the start of the 2009 offseason (a scoring SG)...

preach.....

Kiyaman

Legend
:alert:
And our 21-41 record now.....is b/c our bum headcoach is still clueless on the rotation of players this late in the season.

:update:
The 7 win Nets team showed a better rotation of players than Damntoni in our MSG building by beating our Knicks by double digit points......in MSG!!!

This is THREAD to agree or disagree with the Knicks Rotation of players this season.

Here is two complaints:
1) Duhon receiving 31 mpg the first 50 games of the season when he would've help the team better just receiving 18 to 24 mpg this season untill he got his shot situation in order.
2) Gallo was not ready to be a Starter or a 32 mpg player his first full season in the NBA. His 3-point shooting could've been more affective with 18 to 24 mpg off the bench with the majority of his minutes given in the 2nd half so Knick oponents scouts would've been confuse on defending our high points off the bench (Nate, Chandler, and Gallo) this season.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Why does anyone still care at this point? Just let it go fellas.

Oh how quick the dream of an 0.500 season dies...
As my friend is saying, if that 30 point loss to the Cav's didn't impress LeBron, this 20 point loss to the Nets will surely impress the King.

Starks

Starter
So true. Just gets to me, 4 different players, same pathetic results.

Well, like I have been saying all season long, only 12% of the current roster will be back for sure. There is no need to put stock into how these dudes are playing. They won't be back.

The reason why they get playing time is because there are unwritten rules in the league that state veterans get burn before freshman. Its a matter of respect that just has to get followed. If this team was playoff bound, that rule obviously gets suspended, but Harrington, House, and all these other guys everyone can't stand are playing for their next job. Mike D, as a courtesty to the vets, makes sure he is giving them a chance to get their minutes/numbers to earn a new job. A coach that does this gets credit in the lockerooms of the league. Mike D knows very well that hardly any of these scrubs will be back next year.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Well, like I have been saying all season long, only 12% of the current roster will be back for sure. There is no need to put stock into how these dudes are playing. They won't be back.

The reason why they get playing time is because there are unwritten rules in the league that state veterans get burn before freshman. Its a matter of respect that just has to get followed. If this team was playoff bound, that rule obviously gets suspended, but Harrington, House, and all these other guys everyone can't stand are playing for their next job. Mike D, as a courtesty to the vets, makes sure he is giving them a chance to get their minutes/numbers to earn a new job. A coach that does this gets credit in the lockerooms of the league. Mike D knows very well that hardly any of these scrubs will be back next year.
I dont know if I agree with the "unwritten rule" logic. I mean its definitely a reputable thing to be a savvy veteran, hence why Derek Fisher is the President of the Players Association and LeBron, Bosh, Wade, ect. are not. However, I don't think thats necessarily why D'Ant is playing Harrington, House and others with big minutes. I think he wants to win. Plain and simple. These guys that are playing have been on winning teams in the past (Harrington in 1999 with the Pacers, and House with the Celtics) so I mean the logic behind his decisions may be a little bit flawed on D'Ant's part, but I can't argue with what he's going. I do NOT think Toney Douglas is our future point guard. No way, no how. I don't think its a reason to call for D'Antoni's head quite yet. There are OTHER reasons why people would want his head in the guillotine, but this definitely should not be one. I genuinely believe that our coaching staff is playing players the way they are because they want to win. I don't necessarily AGREE with everything they've done this year (like not playing Darko AT ALL, or giving Duhon such a long leash), but I can't fault the man's attempt to win. It's not like it matters anyway.

Kiyaman

Legend

The only SCRUB on this Knick Team is Mike Dantoni....he is an Euroleague coach, not a NBA coach.
u guys need to let go of the Phoenix Suns hype....Kerr did.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
The only SCRUB on this Knick Team is Mike Dantoni....he is an Euroleague coach, not a NBA coach.
u guys need to let go of the Phoenix Suns hype....Kerr did.
Not so sure about that one...you sure Kerr let go?

"As we have continued to convey, we value Mike D'Antoni as the head coach of the Phoenix Suns and would like him to continue leading this basketball team," Kerr said"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3383366

He had to be bought out after taking the Knicks coaching job.

Not playing Douglas is most definitely NOT a legitimate reason to be calling for D'Antoni's head

KBlack25

Starter
Kiya - in fairness, you have been begging for Al Harrington to start over Danillo. The original post's first sentence questions why Al Harrington is still playing 30 minutes a game...there is no rotation that works right now...have a ten-man rotation, you are playing ten scrubs...might as well give The Situation some starting time and give him a trial by fire, so to speak...

People stress way too much about the starting lineup in my opinion. If a guy starts and plays the first minute then that's it, what does the start truly mean? It's about minutes played, not about who starts...the stress over the starting lineup is a mind-boggling phenomena to me. I agree Gallo's minutes might need to be cut down, he looks burnt out to me.

I've seen a lot of complaints over Gallo's play, about how he looks bad, his low field goal percentage. But field goal percentage tells only a part of the story. It's not THAT he is missing, it is HOW he is missing. The shots he's shooting aren't too strong off the backboard. They are short. Way short. Short enough to make me think that this guy just doesn't have the strength/stamina to get the ball to the basket. That to me is an indication that his minutes need cutting. Not because he sucks, but because he needs to develop.

But Gallinari is D'Antoni's pet, basically Gallo HAS to succeed...or D'Antoni has failed. So right now, I think what D'Antoni is doing is give this guy, as I said before, trial by fire. He's throwing him into the middle of a feeding frenzy, basically, and asking him to survive...it takes time for a lot of these European guys to adjust...I think D'Antoni is trying to quicken the process.

Kiyaman

Legend
K-Black.....being a "Starter" and the 6th-man off the bench meant alot to the expiring-contract players on this Knick-team (we started the season as a "RENTAL-PLAYER" team).

The 6 expiring-contract players I mention above may not have the talent to get us into the 2nd round, but they had the experience to Jellin-hard to get us into the playoffs....for reason of their FA market $$$. It's a business.

Starting the Knicks "Rental-Players" would've taken alot of pressure off of Gallo & Chandler while having our starters start the game at their Natural-Position.

Our headcoach Damtoni knows nothing about playing NBA bigmen, or how to design a frontcourt defense to protect the paint. He is clueless on running any of the 5 low-post plays we used with Curry that caused teams to double-team Curry.
The reason Darko & Curry did not get any playingtime is b/c Dantoni dont know how to use a center bigman.
Remember Dantoni DNP Kurt Thomas in Phoenix, and had him traded.
Kurt Thomas payed Dantoni back by signing on to the Spurs to sweep Dantoni in the first round of the playoffs (a 5 game series is a sweep to me)...