Poo to these 2!

Would you be happy with a front court of Lee and Okafor?

• Total voters

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Personally, I want nothing to do with these dudes. Joe Johnson and Emeka Okafor.

There's the idea of Curry for Okafor, but would the Hornets realistically do this trade and sign off their season? Would you?

Is Okafor worth half of his obese contract? Or is our judgement clouded by interior defence deprivation?

Is Johnson capable of doing any more than he's already done? Is he even the best player on his team? Adding a vet to a roster in dire need of building direct from the bottom is a shitty move as far as I'm concerned. Especially if McGrady's legitimately prepared to accept a lower wage next season. That in itself is worth it's own thread considering his luck with injury.

Joe Johnson #2 Guard

act_joe_johnson.jpg

2009-10 Statistics
PPG21.5 RPG4.70 APG4.7 EFF+ 19.44
Born: Jun 29, 1981
Height: 6-7 / 2.01
Weight: 240 lbs. / 108.9 kg.
College: Arkansas
Years Pro: 8

This guy isn't worth the salary. A good player holding an hourglass counting down his time and effectiveness.

Emeka Blowkafor

act_emeka_okafor.jpg

PPG10.8 RPG9.30 APG0.7 EFF+ 16.53
Born: Sep 28, 1982
Height: 6-10 / 2.08
Weight: 255 lbs. / 115.7 kg.
College: Connecticut
Years Pro: 5

He can block shots and rebound reasonably well. Whatever!!!!!! He's an offensive monger that couldn't even replace Tyson Chandler's effectiveness. Charlotte ousted this dude for a reason: Cash vs Game.

Just saying, I for one would be suffering from the potential anti-climatic signing of either of these 2. More so Okafor than Johnson.

There is however, the potential to retain the MLE and play Lee and Okafor side by side. I could deal with that, but still........Myeh.

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm still undecided on Joe Johnson. He's a good player but not worth max money. Plus, he's 29 years old. A long term deal at a large salary would not be a wise decision.

Honestly, I would rather go after Anthony Morrow for around $4-6 mil. Cheaper, younger and a great shooter. He could be a great fit at SG in D'Antoni's system.

As far as Okafur is concerned, this is more about getting the best value for Curry's expiring contract rather than if Okafur is worth his contract. When using Curry's contract as a trade asset, we will have to take a long-term/large contract in return. That is how Curry is valuable.

We will not get something great in return. It will have to be a decent player with a ridiculous contract. Many of these options were explained in the "What to do with Curry" thread.

To me, Okafur seems like the best option for talent and need that the Knicks can get in return for Curry's contract. I suppose Monta Ellis and Jose Calderon may be very good options depending on what else we give as well. I also liked the Curry to Charlotte for DJ Augustine + DeSagana Diop. But with this we have to take on Diop's contract, which is worse than Okafur's.

If you have a better idea for Curry's contract, let us know.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

Well naturally I don't have a better option, and I agree it is our best solution. I'm just sick of big fat contracts for big fat tards. It's Fear of the Tard. Knicks fan psychosis.

But as I have said numerous times, that trade won't happen either before, or 10 games in to the start of the season. Which would be too late anyway. If it does happen in the off season, then that's happy days. I'll deal with it. Circumstantially of course.

But do you honestly think NO will be interested in throwing away a season considering their widely publicised financial woes? Ticket sales are their focus. No? Matching one contract for one year in a time of need for absolutely zero return in the win column isn't going to be a priority for the Hornets.

I just don't, nor ever have, seen that trade as a possibility of happening by the commencement of the season. Any later would be too late.

At least not without us once again getting butt raped by an opposing GM. Some horrific trade the equivalent of Curry, Chandler and S Rod for Okafor and an ant farm.

We all know how important it is to have a solidified team of productive roll players going in to the FA frenzy for the sake of obtaining the absolute BEST FA possible. I do not see N.O making that trade by the time we need it to be made. Without a decent 5 signed and sealed, we'll be looking as appealing as sex with Cherryl Miller and her penis.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Ok, so I'm a Hornets fan, I watch the games, and Okafor isn't the answer.He's decent.Not worth his contract.What we need to focus on is defensive players who are worth getting for their contract and at positions we could use.I'm all for getting Camby.He won't cost as much, better at defense, and I'd love to see him here again.Not only would it be nostalgic, but he can still play.

As for Johnson, I haven't seen much of him, can somebody sell me on his talent?Thanks to anybody who would give me their opinion on him of his talents.

But, from the looks of it, it seems as if Joe Johnson is definitely not worth the max contract.I'm not one to look at a player and say, "Oh, he's too old, we must get players in their early twenties", but this is a max/big contract we're talking about here.Only player I see worth it is Wade.And even him, you have to consider if he's worth it.Not so much for past injuries (although obviously should be considered), but more so of what he can do for us in the last two years of his contract.This a team game.Not many players can score to the extreme, take punishment, and win a game against a tough team like Iverson did.And that was only one year.Do we want one trip to the Finals?No.Certainly beats none, but it's time for a championship.

Bosh is worth a max contract not because he is a max level player, but because of his age and he's an above average player.

LeBron, although I don't want him, if I was the GM, like any GM, is the only no-brainer to give a max contract too this offseason.25, possibly the best player in the league, and gets his teammates involved a lot.

Unless somebody points me in the direction of why Johnson, who plays along good players, is worth a big contract, then no.We're all tired of waiting, but I 2011 is a very good class of free agents too.At worst if we don't sign anybody, we can at least fill up positions for next season, even if it's decent D-Leaguers, at their natural position, and let the players who does have a future past next season on team develop at the position their most suited for!

And please, a new coach!

Last edited:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
What about Curry to Golden State for Andris Biedrins + Anthony Randolph?

GS wants to trade Randolph and they desperately want to get rid of Biedrens massive salary. Seems like a win-win for both teams.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
What about Curry to Golden State for Andris Biedrins + Anthony Randolph?

GS wants to trade Randolph and they desperately want to get rid of Biedrens massive salary. Seems like a win-win for both teams.

I think they'd want to get rid of Maggette more, but if we could get Anthony Randolph from them without giving up Gallo or Chandler we gotta do it. That guy is so much upside.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
No to Maggette. I've said it before, he ain't a winner.

The reason why Tyson Chandler was so good was because of CP3 (God i hate those initial then number nicknames...). Anyway, Tyson and Paul had the best pick and roll combo in the entire NBA during the 07-08 Season. That whole Hornets team was having a great year. So check this, with Paul, (and David West who got 9 Boards as well) Dude gets 12 and 12 and shot SIXTY TWO PERCENT from the field. You know how many times Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Yao, Dwight, or Shawn Kemp shot 62% from the field? Never. Trade Chandler to Charlotte, where how power forward is Boris Diaw who averages 4-6 boards per, and no real shining PG (Felton is no Paul) and dude's number are literally cut IN HALF. 6 and 6. And I know he is averaging 12.5 minutes less than what he was in Orleans, so if you increase his points, rebounds, and minutes by 133%, you get the same amount of minutes, 33-35ish, and around 8 points and rebounds. His decreased production led to lower playing time. He got injured in New Orleans, which led to less time to play, then got traded. Now he's healthy for the most part, and still struggling. What does that say? Completely dependent on Chris Paul.

As for my proposed Okafor idea...
To me, Okafur seems like the best option for talent and need that the Knicks can get in return for Curry's contract. I suppose Monta Ellis and Jose Calderon may be very good options depending on what else we give as well. I also liked the Curry to Charlotte for DJ Augustine + DeSagana Diop. But with this we have to take on Diop's contract, which is worse than Okafur's.

If you have a better idea for Curry's contract, let us know.
LJ hit it perfectly. Although I must admit, I like the Biedrins and Randolph idea too. Note that Chris Paul has been gone for most of the season, and David West gets 8-9 boards per game as well, so Okafor's pick and roll oppurtunities are smaller, and his rebounding numbers will naturally go down. And with all of this in mind, and him not being close to the central part of the offense, 10 and 10 with 2 Blocks is not bad at all.

Plus, a lot of poeple said, myself included, that Lee and Darko are the perfect tandem because they possess each other's weaknesses as strengths. Now if we said that for a scrub like Darko, imagine Okafor's possibilities.

Now imagine if we get Camby for like 4 million per or so. He's like 36 and closer to the end than his prime. Then we get Okafor. We would be absolutely set at center. Camby makes the perfect mentor, for a 29 Year old Emeka. We have then totally solved our center problem.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
I think they'd want to get rid of Maggette more, but if we could get Anthony Randolph from them without giving up Gallo or Chandler we gotta do it. That guy is so much upside.

You guys talking about trading Curry have it all wrong. See, this is the same mistake the knicks made years ago when they traded Ewing's contract instead of just letting it expire. Curry has 1 more year left, so instead of trading him for huge and longer contracts in return why not just let it expire and go after the crop of unrestricted FA in 2011?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
You guys talking about trading Curry have it all wrong. See, this is the same mistake the knicks made years ago when they traded Ewing's contract instead of just letting it expire. Curry has 1 more year left, so instead of trading him for huge and longer contracts in return why not just let it expire and go after the crop of unrestricted FA in 2011?

I'm not so sure just letting Curry's contract expire is the best option. There are not many good free agents available in 2011.

Who could we get for $11 mil?

Actually, probably a lot less than $11 mil. The free agents we sign this year will most likely have incremental salary increases each year. So we would probably only have about $6-8 mil in cap space in 2011.

Who could we get for $6-8 mil?

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Not many?

There are not many good free agents available in 2011. ... Who could we get for $6-8 mil?

I'm not sure about the second part, but the first part?

Listed with current contracts
Glen Davis ($3M), Kendrick Perkins ($5M), Mickael Pietrus ($5M), JR/Earl Smith ($6M), Shane Battier ($7M), Leandro Barbosa ($7M), Boris Diaw ($9M), Mo Williams ($9M), Tayshaun Prince ($10M), Caron Butler ($10M), NeNe ($11M), Tony Parker ($13M), and of course 'Melo (MAX).

And if they're still not retired at the age of 30+:
Rodney Turiaf ($4M), Reggie Evans ($5M), Rasheed "Mr.Technical" Wallace ($6M), Morris Peterson ($6M), Mike Dunleavy Jr. ($10M), Samuel Dalembert ($12M), Andrei Kirilenko ($16M)

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I'm not sure about the second part, but the first part?

Listed with current contracts
Glen Davis ($3M), Kendrick Perkins ($5M), Mickael Pietrus ($5M), JR/Earl Smith ($6M), Shane Battier ($7M), Leandro Barbosa ($7M), Boris Diaw ($9M), Mo Williams ($9M), Tayshaun Prince ($10M), Caron Butler ($10M), NeNe ($11M), Tony Parker ($13M), and of course 'Melo (MAX).

And if they're still not retired at the age of 30+:
Rodney Turiaf ($4M), Reggie Evans ($5M), Rasheed "Mr.Technical" Wallace ($6M), Morris Peterson ($6M), Mike Dunleavy Jr. ($10M), Samuel Dalembert ($12M), Andrei Kirilenko ($16M)

I ask again, who can we get for approx $6-8 mil? Would any of these players be better than what we could get by trading Curry's expiring contract? I doubt it.

I still think it will be better to trade Curry's contract this year rather than let it expire and try to sign someone next year. We can get more value.