J.J. Barea

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
J.J. Barea told Marc Berman of the New York Post he'd welcome an offer from the New York Knicks if and when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has a team option but has a lot of money tied up in Jason Kidd and up-and-comer Rodrigue Beaubois. Meanwhile the Knicks seem to be merely going with Toney Douglas because they have to, with Chris Duhon as the backup as Sergio Rodriguez sat as a DNP-CD.

"Hey, if I got to go somewhere, the Knicks is the place," Barea told the Post. "It's New York City. A lot of Puerto Ricans over there. And I like the coach [Mike D'Antoni] they have now. I love his system and the way they play. If I got to go somewhere, I would love to be there."

Do we look at J.J. as a role player worth adding? J.J. or Sergio is the question I guess...

knicksin60

Starter
The Knicks sign Barea and Ginobili, trade for Rudy Fernandez, Marc Gasol and Charlie Villanueva and the Knicks could very well be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
The Knicks sign Barea and Ginobili, trade for Rudy Fernandez, Marc Gasol and Charlie Villanueva and the Knicks could very well be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference.
Really? Who on that team is the franchise player/star with the killer instinct to take home the championship?

nk11

Benchwarmer

this is one of the craziest statements ive ever heard...we'd speak the best spanish maybe but that's it....(no shots tho im a fan of all those guys minus villanueva)

Scribbles

Rotation player
Why is there so many people on this forum trying to make the entire Knicks roster of Hispanic descent? SMH :teeth:

All those guys suck except for Manu.

I want ****in' LeBron. **** everybody else...

SpursFan4Life

Benchwarmer
You guys don't want Barea. All the Mavs fans I know hate him and don't understand why he plays over Beaubois. He really isn't that good when you take a look at his game. He's like a hispanic Nate Robinson with a worse shot.

metrocard

Legend
^ Most Maverick fans are ignorant Redneck Cowboy fans. Don't really shit about basketball...they're basketball knowledge is as existent as the San Antonio Spurs fanbase.

I laugh at people who use the word "Hispanic", and categorize Argentinians and Puerto Ricans into the same group.

As for JJ Barea's ability, its definately there.

Barea is really a creator(plays nothing like Nate).
He just happens to start at SG next to arguably the greatest passer of all time in Jason Kidd. Therefor he's asked to score more than pass more, even though he's the guy who pushes the Mavericks offense in the full court since Jason Kidd cannot run the floor as quick as he use to 5-7 years ago. Thats Barea's purpose in Dallas, to push the ball and create plays. He's good at both. D'Antoni is definately interested in those type of players.

One thing is for sure is that The Mavericks organization love JJ Barea.

He went undrafted, and worked his way up to the NBA and eventually became a starter(not anymore with all star Caron Butler starting next to Kidd)

JJ is a hard working guard who has a very high IQ and plays with a lot of energy.

His energy generates a lot of offense, scoring and passing.

He's a better passer than he is a scorer, but his scoring is good too which is a credit to him.

Defensively, Barea will give 90%, where as Nate would give 20%.

Barea potential's in this offense?

15-16 ppg
6-7 assist

Rodriguez potential in this offense?

12 ppg
8-9 assist

Am I going to pick between the two? No.
Both are very talented high energy PG's built for this offense and much better options than Duhon/Douglas or any PG we had since Marbury.

But we started with Rodriguez and I want to give him a chance to grow and learn and develop.

knicksin60

Starter
Really? Who on that team is the franchise player/star with the killer instinct to take home the championship?

I never said that the Knicks would win a championship with those guys; they would probably win between 50-55 games and finish in the top 4 in their conference.

Last edited:

nk11

Benchwarmer
charlie v gives no effort on d, none on the boards, and his offense is way overrated...he cant start over jonas jerebko...

barea's good but we dont need him i like sRod as a backup, and someone better to start in front of him.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I never said that the Knicks would win a championship with those guys; they would probably win between 50-55 games and finish in the top 4 in their conference.
And that's suppose to sound less crazy? You really think a "fab 5" like that could win 50 games?

Charlie V has NEVER been a winner in his life. Check his track record...Toronto? Milwaukee? What happened when he left? Oh yeah BOTH teams made the playoffs the following year. The guy just hoists up shots and has absolutely no efficiency to his game.

Manu has MAYBE one year left in him. He's publicly stated that he has not played well enough to EARN his next contract with the Spurs. Manu has been a great player for years, but he doesn't have what it takes to be the star you seem to be looking for.

Rudy Fernandez is a guy with a ton of talent. However, what do you expect him to play in this lineup? Are you suggesting 3 guards without a slashing wing? That works well for teams in the NBA...just ask Golden State and their top 5 projected lottery pick. Not to mention Rudy has not proven to be a premier player in this league. He averages less than 10 points for his career. Not to mention we have NO ONE ON OUR ROSTER TO TRADE FOR HIM ANYWAY.

Which brings me to my next point. Marc Gasol will not be a Knick via trade. End of story. His contract expires next year and would be an awesome fit with the Knicks, but the only way we get him is via free agency, and there will teams offering him lucrative contracts with a real chance to win (Thunder especially).

J.J. Barea is not a starting point guard in this league. No way. No how. When I created this thread, notice I asked if he would be a ROLE PLAYER worth adding. He's at best the 7th man in a rotation, and an awesome back up point guard.

IF we could somehow miraculously pull of your all-fiesta team, they wouldn't be any better than the mop we have for a team right now. Atleast David Lee is miles better than every player you just named. Heck, I'd take the aging T-Mac over 3 of those guys.

Paul1355

All Star
J.J. Barea told Marc Berman of the New York Post he'd welcome an offer from the New York Knicks if and when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has a team option but has a lot of money tied up in Jason Kidd and up-and-comer Rodrigue Beaubois. Meanwhile the Knicks seem to be merely going with Toney Douglas because they have to, with Chris Duhon as the backup as Sergio Rodriguez sat as a DNP-CD.

"Hey, if I got to go somewhere, the Knicks is the place," Barea told the Post. "It's New York City. A lot of Puerto Ricans over there. And I like the coach [Mike D'Antoni] they have now. I love his system and the way they play. If I got to go somewhere, I would love to be there."

Do we look at J.J. as a role player worth adding? J.J. or Sergio is the question I guess...
we can have him battle it out with Sergio but i like Toney Douglas as our starter from now on.

Sergio looks like the better passer where Barea is the better scorer.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I can't believe you were serious about Charlie V :/

Damn 60, im thinking u a depressed UConn fan. Pay 8mill+ for a ogre whose only slightly better than Channing Frye? Lmao GTFOH

And Ricky Rubio is better than all these *****s... Barea doesn't impress me all to much, I think S-Rod is the better prospect for this system.