Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

jimkcchief88

All Star
Gallo only plays good when the spotlight is on him against star players...just like Mike D said " Gallo has to be aggressive and want the ball every night" WHen Gallo doesn't call for the ball he is basically in a fog and doesnt know what to do....especialy in this game against UTAH...Gallo sucked plain and simple and barely tried to drive towards the hoop to draw fouls.

I don't understand this kid, doesn't he know that he excels when he posts up and drives towards the basket????? He draws a foul almost everytime he drives because defenders play him so close!!! Am I talking Chinese or something?

What happened to the Gallinari that had 15 fouls shouts in one game? The one who constantly drove towards the hoop which forced defenders to play him back, resulting in open shots that went in.

Gallo does not know his game and only shows flashes of having a brain....its amazing how great he can play and playing to his strengths and then next game he is doing the exact opposite.

Is this Mike D's fault?

What the hell is said to Gallo when he is not drawing fouls and driving? "Gallo just sit on the three point line and let everyone else score, and by the way if you get the ball just jack up a shot or pass it off as if the ball is a hot potato." I feel like someone tells Gallo that quote whenever he has these horrible games where he deos nothing especially on offense.

+1. Please tell me its poor coaching or a language barrier that cause Gallo to camp out behind the free throw line and heave up those bricks. Harrington is the same size player, but manages to score from all over the floor and shag a couple of boards to boot. Take note Gallo!!!!

Red

TYPE-A
I am re-posting this for you TRILL because obviously reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. My central criticism of Gallo is that he makes himself SMALLER due to his style of play. Instead of setting up around the elbow or high post where could have a chance to shoot over smaller players or put the ball on the floor against bigs, Gallo camps out at the 3 point line. And just like the last play of the game last night, he can't handle the ball out there. He either rises up and shoot a low percentage jumper(2-10 last night, 1-6 from 3, 9 points in 42 minutes), or gets his rock stripped and taken because he is too tall to protect the ball against guards out on the floor. AGAIN, Gallo will never be a consistent NBA scorer until he develops some sort of low post/midrange game to help when his jumper isn't falling, which is often.

That's too complicated for some to understand Jim. Obviosly their bb knowledge isn't there...

Stop beating a dead horse- they don't understand. They're blinded by fandum, a few good games, etc...

Trying hard to sound intellectual doesn't cover their lack of basketball knowledge- quite a paradox.

jimkcchief88

All Star
That's too complicated for some to understand Jim. Obviosly their bb knowledge isn't there...

Stop beating a dead horse- they don't understand. They're blinded by fandum, a few good games, etc...

Trying hard to sound intellectual doesn't cover their lack of basketball knowledge- quite a paradox.

You are right Red, I'll just leave it alone.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

:teeth::teeth: You funny....and not in a good way.

KBlack25

Starter
I am re-posting this for you TRILL because obviously reading comprehension must not be your strong suit. My central criticism of Gallo is that he makes himself SMALLER due to his style of play. Instead of setting up around the elbow or high post where could have a chance to shoot over smaller players or put the ball on the floor against bigs, Gallo camps out at the 3 point line. And just like the last play of the game last night, he can't handle the ball out there. He either rises up and shoot a low percentage jumper(2-10 last night, 1-6 from 3, 9 points in 42 minutes), or gets his rock stripped and taken because he is too tall to protect the ball against guards out on the floor. AGAIN, Gallo will never be a consistent NBA scorer until he develops some sort of low post/midrange game to help when his jumper isn't falling, which is often. David Lee took a solid low post game and ADDED a midrange jumper to that, making him more effective scorer. Now the bigs have to run at him, making it easier for him get to the rack for high % layups.

Right, but your opinion is we should stash this guy on the bench and never even allow him to develop that low-post/mid-range game.

The point is not that he has it, one would be foolish to claim Gallo has a solid low-post game.

But again, for the 15th time which you and Red have avoided...

He will never develop such a game if he gets stored on the bench...

Why are you just looking to quit on this kid rather than even attempting to allow him to develop beyond one year of actual play?

Your claim fails simply for this one reason: if we do what you say, we basically are forfeiting yet ANOTHER draft pick rather than taking the time to actually let this guy develop...rather than see what he has to offer in more than a year of real NBA play, we just throw our hands up in the air and quit on him...why does that make any sense? What good does quitting on him do? Does it get us Brook Lopez? Does it give us a better option? Does trading Gallinari and his potential get us even 2 cents on the dollar?

I understand you think he sucks, he is a never-will-be, all that shit. And you are entitled to your opinion. But the fact is we have this guy, we spent a lottery pick on him, and to just throw our hands up and sulk about it does no good. If, by the end of next year, he hasn't shown he is good enough to have consistent minutes on a nightly basis, then fine. But to just quit on this kid after one year of NBA play to me is absolutely ludicrous and beyond explanation.

Again, to repeat, using your own words...he will never be a consistent scorer until he develops a low post game...but if you had your way he would never even have that chance.

Your alternative to ditching Gallinari and basically forfeiting another draft pick is a pipe dream of 1) getting Gilbert Arenas' contract voided and 2) signing the hot-headed criminal to a deal that pays him American dollars. Ludicrous.

jimkcchief88

All Star
Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo. But that game last night 87-87 at the end of three quarters. Gallo is shooting his usual bricks, but D'antoni still plays the "Cock" the whole 4th quarter and even draws up the that last play for him, and Gallo proceeds to dribble off his foot out-of-bounds for a turnover. Playing time needs to be EARNED, not just given out because you are the coaches' godson. Why do you think the other guys look Gallo off most of the time when he is camped out 25 feet away from the goal???? Should I even mention the lack of defensive balance when your supposed power forward is camped out at the 3 point line instead of closer to the goal to catch or at least rebound. Gallo is second only to Aaron Brooks in 3 point attempts. All those bricks Gallo heaves up directly result in easy points for the other team in the form of long rebounds and runouts that lead to easy layups. C'mon I can't be the only one who knows this stuff....

KBlack25

Starter
Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo.

jimkcchief88 said:
get rid of T-mac(has been) and Gallo(never will be) and grab Agent 0. That way we would have a real cold-blooded shooter/scorer than a wanna-be and Agent O can handle the rock as well. Give Will the Thrill Gallo's minutes at 3 and grab a center and roll.

You were saying?

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Gall0

I have had high hopes for Gallinari and have not abandoned them entirely, but my confidence in his "potential" and my consequent expectations are diminishing rapidly. Last night's effort was painful to watch. His offensive performance was abysmal. Jimk and Red make some very valid points.

Gallo's 3 point percentage is dropping precipitously, in part, I believe because most of those shots are contested by players guarding him closely. He must make players pay for close guarding. He has got to improve his handle and develop a post-up and midrange game. He must also get a lot stronger. There is no excuse for two or three rebounds a game.

I hope that over the summer he does not relax in Milan and enjoy the pasta. He has a lot of work to do.

Harrington played a great game. But we have an extraordinarily selfish team right now. There are no distributors -- not even Rodriguez. The difference in ball movement between the Knicks and Utah was striking.

Last edited:

KBlack25

Starter
I have had high hopes for Gallinari and have not abandoned them entirely, but my confidence in his "potential" and my consequent expectations are diminishing rapidly. Last night's effort was painful to watch. His offensive performance was abysmal. Jimk and Red make some very valid points.

Gallo's 3 point percentage is dropping precipitously, in part, I believe because most of those shots are contested by players guarding him closely. He must make players pay for close guarding. He has got to improve his handle and develop a post-up and midrange game. He must also get a lot stronger. There is no excuse for two or three rebounds a game.

I hope that over the summer he does not relax in Milan and enjoy the pasta. He has a lot of work to do.

Harrington played a great game. But we have an extraordinarily selfish team right now. There are no distributors -- not even Rodriguez. The difference in ball movement between the Knicks and Utah was striking.

Again, I agree with the sentiments...but to just quit on the kid does the team no good, long or short term.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Gallo only plays good when the spotlight is on him against star players...just like Mike D said " Gallo has to be aggressive and want the ball every night" WHen Gallo doesn't call for the ball he is basically in a fog and doesnt know what to do....especialy in this game against UTAH...Gallo sucked plain and simple and barely tried to drive towards the hoop to draw fouls.

I don't understand this kid, doesn't he know that he excels when he posts up and drives towards the basket????? He draws a foul almost everytime he drives because defenders play him so close!!! Am I talking Chinese or something?

What happened to the Gallinari that had 15 fouls shouts in one game? The one who constantly drove towards the hoop which forced defenders to play him back, resulting in open shots that went in.

Gallo does not know his game and only shows flashes of having a brain....its amazing how great he can play and playing to his strengths and then next game he is doing the exact opposite.

Is this Mike D's fault?

What the hell is said to Gallo when he is not drawing fouls and driving? "Gallo just sit on the three point line and let everyone else score, and by the way if you get the ball just jack up a shot or pass it off as if the ball is a hot potato." I feel like someone tells Gallo that quote whenever he has these horrible games where he deos nothing especially on offense.

Funny. I just posted these same exact issues on the Knicks vs Jazz game thread.

:agreed:

jimkcchief88

All Star
You were saying?

That senerio would be my dream for NEXT year. A real knockdown shooter instead of a fake one. But while we are STUCK with the Cock as you keep pointing out, we might as well coach him up instead of further hinder his development by allowing him to hang out at the 3 point line and heaving up bricks. What star is gonna wanna come and play with a coach's favorite has no concience and a unlimited green light?????

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Did I ever say that Gallo should never play????? Nooooooo. But that game last night 87-87 at the end of three quarters. Gallo is shooting his usual bricks, but D'antoni still plays the "Cock" the whole 4th quarter and even draws up the that last play for him, and Gallo proceeds to dribble off his foot out-of-bounds for a turnover. Playing time needs to be EARNED, not just given out because you are the coaches' godson. Why do you think the other guys look Gallo off most of the time when he is camped out 25 feet away from the goal???? Should I even mention the lack of defensive balance when your supposed power forward is camped out at the 3 point line instead of closer to the goal to catch or at least rebound. Gallo is second only to Aaron Brooks in 3 point attempts. All those bricks Gallo heaves up directly result in easy points for the other team in the form of long rebounds and runouts that lead to easy layups. C'mon I can't be the only one who knows this stuff....

You make some great points here and it should be obvious to everyone. I'm just surprised the coaching staff doesn't address these issues on a regular basis. If they do it doesn't seem like it.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Not Quitting

Again,...but to just quit on the kid does the team no good, long or short term.

I am frustrated with Gallo's inconsistency and see real holes in his game. But I am in full agreement with KBlack. There is no reason to quit on Gallinari. Walsh has said that we have just scratched the surface of his potential play but adds that he has plenty of work to do in the offseason.

Lets stop complaining about who we could have picked at 6. We picked Gallinari, not Lopez, or Gordon etc. We do not get a do-over. On his good days, Gallo looks promising. On a positive note, he has surprised me with his more than reasonable defense.

He tends to follow really bad games with good ones. I expect a good one Wednesday night.

Red

TYPE-A
I don't think Gallo is that bad of a player, and I've had to defend him at times to my peeps that said he was a mistake- they believed Jennings was a better pick.

My issue with him is circumstantial and has to do with our "re-building plans.

1. We NEEDED (NEED) size in the post- that's not him
2. He's a SF- we have Chandler and if our plan was to target the "big name Fa's" he's not better than any of them
3. His handle is weak so he can't be a point forward
4. If he wasn't projected @ the 3, that means D'Ant wants him to play the 4- which means coach believes he would be a better fit than Lee (because he can shoot from outside) o.k. that's fair but...
5. Our Fa targets at the 4 are better too (Bosh & Boozer)
6. If he could play the 4 then why re-sign Lee?
Basically on a better team he could be a good fit

On a rebuilding team that wants to do things quickly (as Walsh said) we don't have time to develop the skills he lacks- so why draft him?

We know why- nepatism.

That's cool but, then when I hear about his I.Q. & maturity I had to take that with a grain of salt b/c it doesn't show.

I do see him as a competitor, and that should mean he has pride and will circumvent coach and develop in the off season himself.

The knock on him is simple- he's good just not what the Knicks needed, now or in the future.

We as starved fans saw an opportunity to UPGRADE at least 1 position before July and he isn't it (now).

He won't be better than any FA wing or big or guard we would target with our $ so we can conclude...

for what seems like lack of planning and thought his pick at six was not MAXIMIZED.

That's all- at his pick, with our situation, with our targets and current personnel

he wasn't the best pick we could've made.

Add to that the fact that now logically some fans have lost "confidence" in our new Front Office and their master plan- due to flubbing the miniscule assets we actually had.

Thanks.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't think Gallo is that bad of a player, and I've had to defend him at times to my peeps that said he was a mistake- they believed Jennings was a better pick.

My issue with him is circumstantial and has to do with our "re-building plans.

1. We NEEDED (NEED) size in the post- that's not him
2. He's a SF- we have Chandler and if our plan was to target the "big name Fa's" he's not better than any of them
3. His handle is weak so he can't be a point forward
4. If he wasn't projected @ the 3, that means D'Ant wants him to play the 4- which means coach believes he would be a better fit than Lee (because he can shoot from outside) o.k. that's fair but...
5. Our Fa targets at the 4 are better too (Bosh & Boozer)
6. If he could play the 4 then why re-sign Lee?
Basically on a better team he could be a good fit

On a rebuilding team that wants to do things quickly (as Walsh said) we don't have time to develop the skills he lacks- so why draft him?

We know why- nepatism.

That's cool but, then when I hear about his I.Q. & maturity I had to take that with a grain of salt b/c it doesn't show.

I do see him as a competitor, and that should mean he has pride and will circumvent coach and develop in the off season himself.

The knock on him is simple- he's good just not what the Knicks needed, now or in the future.

We as starved fans saw an opportunity to UPGRADE at least 1 position before July and he isn't it (now).

He won't be better than any FA wing or big or guard we would target with our $ so we can conclude...

for what seems like lack of planning and thought his pick at six was not MAXIMIZED.

That's all- at his pick, with our situation, with our targets and current personnel

he wasn't the best pick we could've made.

Add to that the fact that now logically some fans have lost "confidence" in our new Front Office and their master plan- due to flubbing the miniscule assets we actually had.

Thanks.

Good post. I also don't think Gallinari is a complete bum.

From what I've seen, he looks like a good role player, but you shouldn't be looking for a good role player at #6.

#6 is a lottery pick, meaning you should be looking for a player who can make an immediate impact, not a role player that is going to take 4-5 NBA seasons to fully develop his game.

Brook Lopez and Eric Gordon are outperforming Gallinari.

Roy Hibbert, Anthony Randolph, Robin Lopez, and Jason Thompson are rebounding and blocking more shots than Gallinari, in less playing time.

Danilo Gallinari is going to have to prove himself.

He looks like a robot, on defense, his ball handling is below average, and his shot selection and shot accuracy is poor.

I don't see him as being worthy of the #6 pick, regardless of whether or not he improves.

But if he can fix his shot selection and learn some post up moves, he might be a solid role player.

He reminds of a Channing Frye/Tim Thomas type player, thus far.

Last edited:

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Why such the fascination with Brook Lopez?

We could have drafted Rudy Fernandez, Aaron Brooks or Marc Gasol instead of Wilson Chandler. How come nobody brings that up?

My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

Starters
Marbury-PG
Crawford-SG
Chandler-SF
Lee-PF/C
Either Lopez or Gasol-C

Bench
Nate Robinson-PG/SG
Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
Jared Jeffries-PF/C
Balkman-PF/SF

Paul1355

All Star
+1. Please tell me its poor coaching or a language barrier that cause Gallo to camp out behind the free throw line and heave up those bricks. Harrington is the same size player, but manages to score from all over the floor and shag a couple of boards to boot. Take note Gallo!!!!
lol no language barrier....both Gallo and Mike D speak fluent Italian.

Harrington scores because he drives towards the basket and is a beast in the post....Gallo doesn't even play nearly as aggressive as Harrington on offense. What is a shame is that Gallo playing aggressive is much better than Harrington and Al puts up 20 ppg stats....just imainge if Gallo actually realized that driving towards the basket frees him up soooo much on offense.