Breaking Down Danilo Gallinari's offensive game

Sknickers

Rookie
My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

This would have been my ideal situation for the Knicks:

Isiah hires Ewing as head coach

Starters
Marbury-PG
Crawford-SG
Chandler-SF
Lee-PF/C
Either Lopez or Gasol-C

Bench
Nate Robinson-PG/SG
Richardson (forced to lose weight by Pat)-SF/SG
Jared Jeffries-PF/C
Balkman-PF/SF

Brook does not seem like a top center to me....tell me how hes better than gallinari on the overall impact on the teams. NETS with their better talents are doing a lot worse than the KNICKS...and i dont think brook is the athletic center we need for Mike's offense..............just saying...i could be wrong..

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

nk11

Benchwarmer
My appreciation of Brook Lopez's game, along with that of Pau Gasol's, is all about Patrick Ewing. Patrick was our last real center, and it is no coincidence that, since having lost Ewing (without adequately replacing him), we stink.

Lopez is already a top NBA center, and he has the potential to be legendary. He would have given our competent guards and power forward the support they have needed in the middle.

But it is obvious you do not get this, which is why you mention Aaron Brooks and Rudy Fernandez, two guys that do not fill the vacuum left by Ewing's departure.

When Pau Gasol was available, I was dying for Isiah to trade Curry for him. Had he traded for Pau, we would have been a contender. Look at the Celtics, before and after their acquisition of Garnett, the Lakers, after before and after they acquired Gasol, etc. In this league, you need a good big to win.

Starters
Marbury-PG
Crawford-SG
Chandler-SF
Lee-PF/C
Either Lopez or Gasol-C

Bench
Nate Robinson-PG/SG
Jared Jeffries-PF/C
Balkman-PF/SF

i would have loved lopez over gallo, lopez is easily a top 5 center in the league for years to come, def the safer pick. but having dantoni as coach he would have benched him till his 3rd year and ruined his development.

at least he plays gallo bc of nepotism. which, despite being the worst reason to draft someone, could help him develop.

i think if gallo gains some aggressiveness, gets tougher on both ends, and doesnt camp out behind the arc he could realize his amazing potential. on a good night the guy can go to the line 12 times the way defenders play him.

im def a gallo fan, but until he plays like an like elite shooting 7 footer(6'10/6'11) dude is a lottery bust.

LJ4ptplay

Starter

Starters
Marbury-PG
Crawford-SG
Chandler-SF
Lee-PF/C
Either Lopez or Gasol-C

Bench
Nate Robinson-PG/SG
Jared Jeffries-PF/C
Balkman-PF/SF

I agree with you somewhat about Lopez. He definitely fills the need for this team more than Gallo but I'm not as certain as you that he will be a great center. I see him being more along the lines of Andrew Bogut. Good to very good...but not elite. I also don't see this as a legitimate reason for hating Gallo and thinking he is a complete bust.

I like Rudy Fernandez and Aaron Brooks. Both would address the needs of the Knicks more than Chandler. But I don't hate Chandler and think he is a complete bust.

If Lopez was such a great Center, why are the Nets one of the worst teams in basketball history? The Nets have more talent than the Knicks. And according to everyone D'Antoni is a terrible coach......please explain why?

And I did mention Marc Gasol could have been drafted instead of Chandler. How come you don't hate Chandler? Both Chandler and Gallo have the same output.

I think the hate for Gallo is because people hate D'Antoni. And people hate D'Antoni because we are losing. It seems as simple as that. And many are looking for reasons to hate someone and justify their frustration.

And for those of you that keep falsely spreading the rumor that D'Antoni selected Gallo because he played with his father.....both D'Antoni and Donnie have publically stated numerous times that it was Donnie's choice to pick Gallo, not D'Antoni. D'Antoni did not know much of Gallo's game at all. We desperately needed consistent outside shooting at the time.

*Edit* Your lineup would be a consistent 1st round knock out in the playoffs and would leave us zero chance at signing a max free agent.

Last edited:

clumsy

Rotation player
Brooks > Gallinari and will have a better career.....already calling it....Brooks has a ton of post moves, and is pretty good at D.

Gallinari fell really far in my books.......He's not a bum, but he's tradeable to me at this point. I think D'Antoni actually hurt his development by playing him with Nate and Harrington. Those two used to only pass to each other.

Also i think Devin Harris, Monta Ellis, Nate Robinson, etc is proving that Combo Guards as PG are getting exposed. Unless you score like a prime AI you do not help your team.

clumsy

Rotation player
With combo guards that have a good center/low post option....i guess you can't include Nate in that discussion.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Brook Lopez >>>>>>>>>>> Danilo Gallinari
Eric Gordon > Danilo Gallinari
Anthony Randolph > Danilo Gallinari
Jason Thompson > Danilo Gallinari
Roy Hibbert > Danilo Gallinari
Robin Lopez > Danilo Gallinari

GetRealistic

Starter
Brook Lopez >>>>>>>>>>> Danilo Gallinari
Eric Gordon > Danilo Gallinari
Anthony Randolph > Danilo Gallinari
Jason Thompson > Danilo Gallinari
Roy Hibbert > Danilo Gallinari
Robin Lopez > Danilo Gallinari

There's hate and then theres blind hatred. Do yourself a favor and read LJ's post directly above yours.

As much as i love Jason Thompson (former teammate of mine) you've got to be crazy to say he's better then Gallo. Roy Hibbert is nothing more then a big body, Robin Lopez is a nice player off the bench, and Anthony Randolph is a headcase with world of potential that hasn't even been given the opportunity to play.

If you want to say Brook Lopez is better then Gallo that's your opinion and i can see where your coming from. I can also see how you'd think Eric Gordon is better then Gallo but in my personal opinion i think Gallo is Still a rookie, lets not dump him into the sophmore category being as he barely played last season and when he did he played with a bad back. He played in just 28 games and the minutes were sparadic

Next year will be Gallo's true second year as a pro. So i'd expect the continued maturation of his game. Also All of the players you named have other quality player around them. Gallo has a washed up Tmac and David Lee. I wouldn't classify that as a great supporting cast.

Gallo's 09-10 STATs his rookie year in my opinion
14.3ppg 4.8 rpg and 1.5 assists in just 33 minutes a night

Lopez Rookie Stats
13 ppg 8 rpg 1 assist in 30 minutes a night

Robin Lopez Rookie stats
3 ppg and 2 rebounds

Anthony Randolph rookie stats
8 points and 6 boards

Eric Gordon Rookie Stats
16 points and 3 assists

Jason Thompson Rookie Stats
11 points and 7 boards

Roy Hibbert Rookie stats
7 points and 4 boards

By all accounts Gallos "rookie year" is as good if not better then every player you mentioned. Let's follow the Brook Lopez rookie to second year trend and add those same upward growths to Gallo

Lopez is averaging 6 more points this season. Adding 6 more to Gallos average would make him a 20.4 ppg scorer.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Aaron Brooks>>>>Chandler
Rudy Fernandez>>>Chandler
Marc Gasol>>>Chandler

Therefore, I hate Chandler and think Chandler is a complete bust. Yeah, makes sense. *sarcasm*

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Aaron Brooks>>>>Chandler
Rudy Fernandez>>>Chandler
Marc Gasol>>>Chandler

Therefore, I hate Chandler and think Chandler is a complete bust. Yeah, makes sense. *sarcasm*

Wilson Chandler was a late first round pick. Most people didn't even expect him to average 15 points per game, so your argument is very weak.

Danilo Gallinari was a top 8 lottery pick. A lot of people compared him to
Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani, so the expectations were high for him.

However, he hasn't produced. Maybe he'll produce in the future, but he has not played up to par now.

And as for Rudy Fernandez being better than Wilson Chandler, where do you get that from? Fernandez shoots a woeful 39% from the field.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Wilson Chandler was a late first round pick. Most people didn't even expect him to average 15 points per game, so your argument is very weak.

Danilo Gallinari was a top 8 lottery pick. A lot of people compared him to
Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani, so the expectations were high for him.

However, he hasn't produced. Maybe he'll produce in the future, but he has not played up to par now.

And as for Rudy Fernandez being better than Wilson Chandler, where do you get that from? Fernandez shoots a woeful 39% from the field.

lol....lj4ptplay gets sonned :lol:

smh @ him for tryna pull a fast one...hows he gonna bring up Chandler when he was a late first round pick? :lol:

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
There's hate and then theres blind hatred. Do yourself a favor and read LJ's post directly above yours.

As much as i love Jason Thompson (former teammate of mine) you've got to be crazy to say he's better then Gallo. Roy Hibbert is nothing more then a big body, Robin Lopez is a nice player off the bench, and Anthony Randolph is a headcase with world of potential that hasn't even been given the opportunity to play.

If you want to say Brook Lopez is better then Gallo that's your opinion and i can see where your coming from. I can also see how you'd think Eric Gordon is better then Gallo but in my personal opinion i think Gallo is Still a rookie, lets not dump him into the sophmore category being as he barely played last season and when he did he played with a bad back. He played in just 28 games and the minutes were sparadic

Next year will be Gallo's true second year as a pro. So i'd expect the continued maturation of his game. Also All of the players you named have other quality player around them. Gallo has a washed up Tmac and David Lee. I wouldn't classify that as a great supporting cast.

Gallo's 09-10 STATs his rookie year in my opinion
14.3ppg 4.8 rpg and 1.5 assists in just 33 minutes a night

Lopez Rookie Stats
13 ppg 8 rpg 1 assist in 30 minutes a night

Robin Lopez Rookie stats
3 ppg and 2 rebounds

Anthony Randolph rookie stats
8 points and 6 boards

Eric Gordon Rookie Stats
16 points and 3 assists

Jason Thompson Rookie Stats
11 points and 7 boards

Roy Hibbert Rookie stats
7 points and 4 boards

By all accounts Gallos "rookie year" is as good if not better then every player you mentioned. Let's follow the Brook Lopez rookie to second year trend and add those same upward growths to Gallo

Lopez is averaging 6 more points this season. Adding 6 more to Gallos average would make him a 20.4 ppg scorer.

Your entire stats are flawed. Gallinari is not a rookie. You can say that all you want, but rookies don't have 100 games played, 10 games before the end of the season.

Gallinari averaged 6.1 points and 2 rebounds, on his rookie season.

He's averaging an impressive 14 points, only problem is his field goal percentage is a woeful 42%, despite being 6'10 and having a height advantage over most of his opponenets.

Roy Hibbert, Jason Thompson, Robin Lopez, and Anthony Randolph have better rebounding and shot blocking averages. They also shoot better field goal percentages. They all get less playing time than Gallinari.

Eric Gordon and Brook Lopez have better numbers than Gallinari, in almost every category.

Let's take a look:
-Brook Lopez
19.1 points on 50.9% fg, 8.9 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 2.2 assists
-Eric Gordon
17 points on 44.7% fg, 2.9 assists, 1.1 steals
-Danilo Gallinari
14.4 points on 42.2% fg, 1.6 assists, 4.8 rebounds, .8 blocks, 33.2 MPG
-Jason Thompson
12.4 points on 46.6% fg, 8.4 rebounds, 1 block, 1.6 assists, 30.8 MPG
-Anthony Randolph
11.6 points on 44.3% fg, 6.5 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 22.7 MPG
-Roy Hibbert
11.3 points on 49.1% fg, 5.7 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 25 MPG
-Robin Lopez
8.4 points on 58.5% fg, 4.9 rebounds, 1 block, 19.3 MPG

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
I like Getrealistic but he might be the next Knicks126 and go find another forum to post on....thats assuming that theres no connection between JPZ and knicks126

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
#1. Gallinari is not a rookie, he is a second year player, with, despite having missed a large chunk of the season, has a huge advantage over real rookies: 26 previous-season NBA games, an extra pre-season, numerous opportunities to learn from an NBA staff of players and coaches, etc. Oh, and what happened to the Gallo-was-already-a-professional-in-Europe hype you suscribed to?

#2. Lopez is already an elite center, putting up all-star numbers. The only thing in the way of his selection to the all-star team was his team's record. I stated, last season, that he would average these number, and I was right. He is amongst the most skilled centers in the league: has an array of post moves, can shoot from 15-20 feet, with ease, and works hard at both ends to assist his wing players. Just the other day, he had two big plays, over Tim Duncan, to lift the Nets over the Knicks.

#3. Your argument that Brook's accomplishments are nullified by his team's record is proven wrong by the addendum you include, in which you state that he has a better team. He has Devin Harris, who has missed many games due to injury. Every other player on the roster: Humphries, Terence Williams, Douglas-Roberts, Yi (especially), is inexperienced and would normally not even break an NBA team's rotation.

Gallo, meanwhile, has many players that, even if some are washed up, are still experienced enough (Hughes, Harrington, Robinson, Lee, etc.) to provide him more help than what Lopez's teammates can provide him.

smokes

Huge Member
Danilo Gallinari expressed anger at himself and said he was to blame for the Knicks' loss in Utah on Monday.

In so doing, the Italian-born player demonstrated a comfort level with English profanity.

"If I play 42 minutes and I go 1 for 6 from 3, I definitely have to think about this game," Gallinari said. "I?m on the court and I?m a big part of the offense. So if I shoot the ball bad like that in these type of games ? tie games, at the end of the game, you look at the shots ? definitely got to blame myself."

After exhaling and groaning, he added, "I cannot be like that."

Gallinari feels confident that his game is expanding beyond just the long-range jump shots he showed last season.

"But I knew that I?m not just a shooter, I can do a lot of stuff. And you know this, you know I can do a lot of stuff," Gallinari said.

Howard Beck of the New York Times believes that it bodes well for the development of a young player like Gallinari that he is taking so much responsibility this early in his career.

"Those are the skills that stand out on the court," Beck writes. "But becoming a star also requires pride and accountability. Gallinari angrily and profanely claimed his share on Monday, making perhaps his greatest leap yet."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...gallinari_takes_blame_for_loss/#ixzz0jnOISLhY

Gallo's comments after the loss to Utah. Let's hope he takes his own words to heart and starts playing the way he knows and we know he CAN play when he chooses to.

I've always disliked watching Gallo sit outside dropping 3s all game, when he plays aggressive on offense it translates into his defense and he has the energy to play hard on both ends of the court for an entire game.

Now he just needs to do this regularly.

KBlack25

Starter
To be fair, you can't criticize someone for saying Gallo is a rookie, stating that he is not because his games played is more than other rookies and then compare him to other sophomores who have far more games played...the argument works both ways. Gallo is not a rookie b/c his games played is substantially more than other rookies. But Gallo is not quite a sophomore either because other sophomores games played is well above that of Gallo's...if we are to use that line of thinking.

If you are going to criticize anything, criticize the fact that this guy at age 21 already has back problems that look to be plaguing him now.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
To be fair, you can't criticize someone for saying Gallo is a rookie, stating that he is not because his games played is more than other rookies and then compare him to other sophomores who have far more games played...the argument works both ways. Gallo is not a rookie b/c his games played is substantially more than other rookies. But Gallo is not quite a sophomore either because other sophomores games played is well above that of Gallo's...if we are to use that line of thinking.

If you are going to criticize anything, criticize the fact that this guy at age 21 already has back problems that look to be plaguing him now.

Good point. Law school was a prudent choice for you!

KBlack25

Starter
In anticipation of the pending "he had more time to work with coaches even if he didn't play as much", remember, this guy was recovering from what I understand as serious back surgery. Most of his rookie year was spent rehabbing...I'm not subscribing to either the Gallo is a rookie or Gallo is a soph camp...each has its flaws.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened

Okay, so you do not subscribe to either camp, because of this one post? How about every other post that you made in support of Gallo as a rookie and as an NBA-ready European pro? I have never seen a person backpedal that fast.

In anticipation of the pending "he had more time to work with coaches even if he didn't play as much", remember, this guy was recovering from what I understand as serious back surgery. Most of his rookie year was spent rehabbing...I'm not subscribing to either the Gallo is a rookie or Gallo is a soph camp...each has its flaws.

Yes, he was recovering. But, his advantage over any rookie is obvious. He was with an NBA team, for summer-league, pre-season and 28 regular season games. He is also a European pro, which many of your brethren were saying would make him better than the various NCAA picks.

And, are you saying we should discount years from the career experience of players that have been out due to injury? In that case, NBA.com would have a lot of profiles to modify. Some players were injured, last season, while others were not, rookies and more experienced players. The common denominator is that both categories of players were in the NBA, while this year's rookies were not

No matter what your personal opinion is, when it comes to whether Gallo is a rookie or sophomore, the argument that Gallo was playing at a higher level of competition, than NCAA players, during his years in Italy, nullifies any experience argument you or anyone else poses. You have defeated yourselves, as a direct result of your previous arguments, unless you wish to admit having erred in your previous thinking, which is another defeat.

Good point. Law school was a prudent choice for you!

Trillion, your opinion is biased toward favoring what Kblack has to say, because what he is saying agrees with your perpetual commentary on Gallinari. As such, your opinion of Kblack's sophistry lacks the objectivity required for serious consideration.

Last edited:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Trillion, your opinion is biased toward favoring whatever Kblack has to say, because what he is saying agrees with your perpetual commentary on Gallinari. As such, your opinion of Kblack's sophistry lacks the objectivity required for serious consideration.

I can agree with that but I still think he makes a valid point. It's really not that hard of a concept. Gallo has played more than a rookie but less than a Sophomore. He may have had an extra preseason but he did lose a chunk last year rehabbing from surgery. I thnk by this time next year we will know the truth on Gallo.