Stoudemire Exposes Mike Dantoni

nyk_nyk

All Star
Amar’e Stoudemire Ripped Mike D’Antoni
By Dimitri - Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 11:48

Amare Stoudemire gave a strong interview this morning on Sports 620 KTAR’s Doug and Wolf show. Listen:
<EMBED id=s_media_1_0 name=s_media_1_0 pluginspage=http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer src="" width=300 height=52 type=application/x-shockwave-flash target="_blank" href="http://www.odeo.com" www.odeo.com http:></EMBED>
While not thrilled with his choice of words, Amare made his point loud and clear when asked if his current level of play is a “contract year” effect. Wolf asks, what do you say to those people who are saying you are playing the way you are playing just to get the Max Contract and then you will just relax. What do you say to those people?

“I would say they’re simply retarded and that they haven’t been watching my career at all since I’ve been in the league.”
“I’ve been improving every single year even after the all-star break I’ve been improving so if they think I am just playing for a contract they are out of their minds.”
Other interesting responses….

First choice to stay a Sun?

“It’s always great to stay”
Do you agree that Mike D’Antoni not emphasizing defense set you back:
“I think so. With us not really focused defensively and not teaching defense a lot of the finger pointing was towards me saying that I wasn’t a good defensive player but I just was never taught defensive strategy so it really was kind of unfair to put the blame on me. I think over time, it shows now that we are a better defensive team, we got guys that can play defense and my defense is not really that bad.”

Do you enjoy this brand of basketball more than D’Antoni seven seconds or less?

With this offense we are not just going to shoot any shots, we’re not going to shot bad shots. We’re to make sure we get quality shots. We’re going to make sure we get good looks at the basket. Sometimes in Seven Seconds or Less you shoot up a couple of shots and you get in the habit of shooting bad shots and kind of bits you sometimes in the playoffs. In this offense we are more humble out there. We know what’s good shots and when to take them.”

Not surprised by Amare's comments. Dantoni is doing the same thing here in NY. No defense and a coaching staff that can't help either.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
This is crap...

They are currently the 3rd worst team in points allowed...does he blame Dant for that?

The Knicks allow less points scored than the Suns!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/stats/2009/teams/allowed/0_byOPP_PTS_PER_GAME.html

Amare is only averaging 1 block...half of what he did in 07 under Dant. The guy is an overpaid injury prone scrub looking to blame others for his deficiencies in order to get a max deal. What is he going to say? I suck at D...now pay me a max deal?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Lets also see if they can replicate the same record and playoff depth they did under Dant. Back to back 60 win seasons...Suns aint on pace to do that in one year let alone back to back. It's clear the guy admits he is not a good defender...he just blames Dant for not teaching him. :boohoo: Give me a break...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, I am not saying Dant is a defensive genius or that D is not important. I am just "exposing" the flaws in Amare's assertions.

nyk_nyk

All Star
This is crap...

They are currently the 3rd worst team in points allowed...does he blame Dant for that?

The Knicks allow less points scored than the Suns!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/stats/2009/teams/allowed/0_byOPP_PTS_PER_GAME.html

Amare is only averaging 1 block...half of what he did in 07 under Dant. The guy is an overpaid injury prone scrub looking to blame others for his deficiencies in order to get a max deal. What is he going to say? I suck at D...now pay me a max deal?

Ok but their also tied for 11th in opponent FG%. In terms of his blocks, he got injured remember? So 1 block a game is still pretty decent.

Also, how is he "injury prone" when he only missed games because of a leg injury and a freak eye accident. Let's save that title for someone like Eddy Curry.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Ok but their also tied for 11th in opponent FG%. In terms of his blocks, he got injured remember? So 1 block a game is still pretty decent.

Also, how is he "injury prone" when he only missed games because of a leg injury and a freak eye accident. Let's save that title for someone like Eddy Curry.

Microfracture is an injury that has the potential to always reoccur. I also believe the BPG is averaged over games played as long as you meet a certain minimum games played. But yea...he is not Curry status but Curry is also not asking for a Max contract.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Lets also see if they can replicate the same record and playoff depth they did under Dant. Back to back 60 win seasons...Suns aint on pace to do that in one year let alone back to back. It's clear the guy admits he is not a good defender...he just blames Dant for not teaching him. :boohoo: Give me a break...

I don't need a great defender but I at least want someone who will attemp to block shots and based on his current ability to at least blk 2 shots a game, I'll take it.

It's more than Lee gives.

I don't have any personal lovefest with any 1 player. I just want the team to get better by any means necessary.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I don't need a great defender but I at least want someone who will attemp to block shots and based on his current ability to at least blk 2 shots a game, I'll take it.

It's more than Lee gives.

I don't have any personal lovefest with any 1 player. I just want the team to get better by any means necessary.

I agree but I rather have Lee at 11 and a defensive center paired along side him than Amare at center asking for 16+ mil a year.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Microfracture is an injury that has the potential to always reoccur. I also believe the BPG is averaged over games played as long as you meet a certain minimum games played. But yea...he is not Curry status but Curry is also not asking for a Max contract.

Seriously man, you can't blame the guy for wanting a max contract. For years the league has been handing out enormous contracts to players who never deserved it and now that he is by all accounts one of the best PF in the game feels he should be compensated accordingly.

He's not being greedy, the current contracts dictate his worth. Now do I want the knicks to give him the max? NO, but i understand why he's pushing for it.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Seriously man, you can't blame the guy for wanting a max contract. For years the league has been handing out enormous contracts to players who never deserved it and now that he is by all accounts one of the best PF in the game feels he should be compensated accordingly.

He's not being greedy, the current contracts dictate his worth. Now do I want the knicks to give him the max? NO, but i understand why he's pushing for it.

I don't begrudge him trying to get max money...I just don't think he is worth it. Especially with his injury history, lack luster defensive record and inability to be a true number one option like a Wade, Kobe or Lebron. I also don't like him blaming Dant when the Suns are still one of the owrst defensive teams in the league. Dant made Amare into a star and coached them to their two best seasons in years. To me that article and those quotes show a major character flaw in a player who should be grateful towards Dant...not looking to pin blame.

The economy and NBA market have changed and teams are not overpaying like they did just a few years ago.

Red

TYPE-A

1. Microfracture is a proceedure, not an injury.

2. His rehab and subsequent performance is a testiment to his dedication and hunger.

3. To compare their team under coach vs not is a comparison of coaches and has nothing to do with Amare.

4. Your hearing it from the horses mouth (D'Ant) doesn't coach/stress Defense. The samething EVERYONE has said/noticed- accept it!
5. Amare on a repaired leg and one eye @ max #'s is better than ANYONE on our team currently- accept that also. That's not exppsure its reiteration.

Thanks.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't begrudge him trying to get max money...I just don't think he is worth it. Especially with his injury history, lack luster defensive record and inability to be a true number one option like a Wade, Kobe or Lebron. I also don't like him blaming Dant when the Suns are still one of the owrst defensive teams in the league. Dant made Amare into a star and coached them to their two best seasons in years. To me that article and those quotes show a major character flaw in a player who should be grateful towards Dant...not looking to pin blame.

The economy and NBA market have changed and teams are not overpaying like they did just a few years ago.

I agree. The max should be reserved for the very best. The thing is, he does believe he is one of the very best (at least at his position) and he probably should get something close to the max.

He's still only 27 and appears to have fully recovered from his injury. He averages 1.4 blks for his career so once again, he aint THAT bad a defender.

Compare that with 0.4 blks for Lee

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

2. His rehab and subsequent performance is a testiment to his dedication and hunger.

3. To compare their team under coach vs not is a comparison of coaches and has nothing to do with Amare.
4. Your hearing it from the horses mouth (D'Ant) doesn't coach/stress Defense. The samething EVERYONE has said/noticed- accept it!5. Amare on a repaired leg and one eye @ max #'s is better than ANYONE on our team currently- accept that also.

Thanks.

Semantics for the win! :cool:

Edit** Yes when a player blames a coach for defense yet they still suck at D and he averages less than half what he did under Dant it is most certainly relevant.

Maybe you would pay Amare max dough...but I wouldn't. I much rather have Lee and a center than just Amare.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This guy reminds me of a past Knick who wore #3

My favorite part was him saying "I was never taught the princiaples of Defense"

I know he started to play the game at late stage in his life (if you consider 14 late) but defense is something that every player knows how to do, it is up to them to apply themselves to doing it!

Maybe he should blame himself for being stupid and getting bounced around between six High schools in four years thus no coach really having an opportunity to work with him!

Or how bout he blame it on the fact that he elected to skip college to jump to The NBA and thus missed the opportunity to learn more about the game then!

Hey Amare, did someone sit you down and teach you how to dunk a basketball or was that something you just picked up from observing the game?

Offense is a phase of the game that you can blame a coach for holding you back on, but defense is soley on you to learn!

Eddy Curry had two defensive minded coaches in Larry Brown and Scott Skiles in the formative stages of his career and did it amount to him being Mutumbo?!

At the end of the Day its about Desire and Amare has none to play D and I do not have any to ever seeing him in a Knicks uniform!!!!!!!!!!

Dude has worst excuses for his failures than dude in the Chinese League

XH20X

Rookie

I hope you are not trying to be funny. Yes we know that its a procedure and not an injury. Although, this procedure is used to repair serious injuries. Amare does not deserve max contract because simply he was injured. I could care less about what he is doing this year. Once injured, you will always have a greater chance for a career threatening injury. I hope the Knicks will not sign a "once injured" player again. We don't want to go through the Allan Houston years again.

knicksin60

Starter
Who cares what that no-neck Amare has to say! Good news for the Knicks that they probably won't have to give him a max contract this summer.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
It's good to hear Amare Stoudamire speaking the truth and not just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Mike D'Antoni is a crappy coach. He doesn't stress defense, he likes to use favoritism in deciding who to start and who to bench(see Chris Duhomo, Danilo Gallinari, and Jared Jeffries), and he rarely gives centers a chance to develop their games, because he feels it's better to have David Lee play out of position(see Jordan Hill)
Mike D'Antoni couldn't even match Isiah Thomas' 33-49 season. How sad.

KBlack25

Starter

In fairness, Isiah had Z-Bo, Crawford and Marbury...Mike didn't.

And I don't know if D'Antoni liked Jared Jefferies or started him to showcase him for a possible trade. I'm inclined to believe the latter is true...

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
In fairness, Isiah had Z-Bo, Crawford and Marbury...Mike didn't.

And I don't know if D'Antoni liked Jared Jefferies or started him to showcase him for a possible trade. I'm inclined to believe the latter is true...

Marbury only played in 24 games in 2007-08 season, after having what I believed was his best season as a pro the year before (stats wont back that up but he played alotta defense for us)

Z Bo played in 69 games but probably had his worst year since 02-03 when he was only in his second year.

Crawford cancels himself out because when he did do good things on offense, it didnt really matter because of his poor defense

So I guess Antoni is no better then Isiah, Fukk both of them

At the same time, Amare shouldnt be calling out Antonio and blaming him because he doesnt know how to play defense. I mean, i guess you could blame both of them but alot of defense is effort and Amare doesnt show that most the time.

In my opinion, our team has been a joke since the 2006-07 season. We probably woulda made the playoffs if it wasnt for all the injuries we had late in the year. And we were a joke before that too, but that one year...we were respectable, at least to me.

New New York

Quiet Storm
It's good to hear Amare Stoudamire speaking the truth and not just saying what everyone wants to hear.

Mike D'Antoni is a crappy coach. He doesn't stress defense, he likes to use favoritism in deciding who to start and who to bench(see Chris Duhomo, Danilo Gallinari, and Jared Jeffries), and he rarely gives centers a chance to develop their games, because he feels it's better to have David Lee play out of position(see Jordan Hill)

1.David Lee played more than Hill because David Lee is better than Hill

2.Isiah actually had a better roster than Dantoni has, Isiah would only have this Knicks team maybe 3 games better than New Jersey. Crawford,Curry and Marbuary all had their best seasons as Knicks that year, Mike Dantoni would have had them in the playoffs for sure!

3. While I kinda agree with you on the fact that Mike Dantoni sticks with players he likes way too long (See the before mentioned Duhon and Q-Rich for examples) I think he is too concerned with destroying confidence of players than winning games , but you must examine the charecteristics of the players he tends to like; they are committed to playing D and they are good teamates and do other things other than scoring the ball, those types of players are favorites of any coach!

I'm not saying Mike is the best man for the job, but everyone knows he shouldnt be judged on the last two years!

Lastly please give a list of any coaches who you think would have a better record with our rostert.....I mean besides your boy Isiah!