Marbury Officially On USA Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2004/04_moly_add5.html

Stephon Marbury
"I am just really honored to represent my country and I think it's definitely an accomplishment that a lot of people aren't able to experience. I was just excited and happy to know I was one the guys chosen. For my family, for myself, it is a big honor," stated Marbury. "I watched the Dream Team (in 1992), and I can remember as far back as when Petrovic played (1988), so to be an Olympian feels like I achieved a life long accomplishment."

Marbury is a veteran of three USA Basketball teams who last donned the USA's red, white and blue jersey in 1995. Starting in all eight games and leading the team in minutes played, Marbury starred on the 1995 USA Junior World Championship Team that traveled to Athens, Greece, and finished seventh with a 4-4 record. Averaging team bests of 17.5 ppg., 3.9 apg. and 1.6 spg., he also posted 2.9 rpg., and shot 44.9 percent from the floor, 37.8 percent from 3-point, and 79.4 from the charity stripe. A year earlier at the 1994 FIBA Americas Junior World Championship Qualifying Tournament in Argentina, he helped the USA to an 8-0 record and the gold medal, recording a team third best 11.6 ppg., team bests of 7.8 apg. and 2.4 spg., as well as 3.0 rpg., while shooting 51.7 percent from the field, 30.4 percent from 3-point and 82.8 percent from the foul line. Marbury was also selected to the 1995 USA Junior Select Team that played in the first Hoop Summit, and while aiding the USA to an 86-77 victory over an international select team, finished with 10 points and five assists.

Marbury is a two-time All-NBA Third Team selection (2000 and 2003) and a two-time NBA All-Star (2001 and 2003).

Traded by Phoenix to the New York Knicks on Jan. 4, 2004, Marbury, who played 34 games for Phoenix and 47 with the Knicks in '03-'04, finished the year ranked 15th in the NBA in scoring with a 20.2 ppg. average, and finished runner-up in assists dishing out 8.9 assists a game. Listing third in minutes played (3254) and seventh in minutes averaged (40.2), he also listed 10th in field goal tries (1386), 11th in assists to turnovers (2.89), 15th in total efficiency, 15th in steals (1.59 spg.), 17th in free throw attempts (356) and 35th in free throw percentage (.817).

At 19 years of age, he was picked fourth in the 1996 NBA Draft by the Milwaukee Bucks, who promptly traded him to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal for the No. 5 overall pick, Ray Allen. Marbury entered the NBA Draft after playing one season at Georgia Tech, where he earned Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Rookie-of-the-Year honors. Additionally, he was selected All-ACC First Team, only the fifth freshman in conference history to earn first team distinction, and was named All-America Third Team by The Associated Press.

capt.xnyr60305141959.usa_basketball_xnyr603.jpg

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
Stoudemire Joins Marion For Olympics.........

Stoudemire joins Marion for Olympics

Paul Coro and Jeff Metcalfe
The Arizona Republic
May. 15, 2004 12:00 AM

Amaré Stoudemire's official inclusion onto USA Basketball's Olympic roster Friday added to the reasons for Phoenix basketball fans to care about this summer's games.

Have a question for your favorite Suns, Coyotes or Diamondbacks player? Click here to submit the question for one of our reporters to take it to the source. Look for the answers on Page 2 of Saturday's Arizona Republic.

Stoudemire and Shawn Marion give the American team two current Suns players. Stephon Marbury's Friday addition gives the roster two former Suns with Jason Kidd still on the team despite doubts he will play. Richard Jefferson also was added Friday, giving Phoenix two natives on the 12-man roster with Mike Bibby.

The team has the NBA's past two Rookies of the Year with LeBron James, also a Friday addition, and Stoudemire.

"This means so much to me," Stoudemire said in a statement. "I said earlier that I would absolutely love to play for my country and I meant it. This will be my first time playing for USA Basketball but I'm ready for it. I'm looking forward to being part of the U.S. Olympic team and playing some of the best players in the world."

The current roster includes Stoudemire, Marion, Marbury, Kidd, Bibby, Jefferson, James, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan and Karl Malone. Kidd, Bibby, McGrady and Malone are reconsidering.

The trouble of solidifying a roster provided a need for a versatile player like Marion and a big man like Stoudemire.

"This (Marion) is a player that (national team) Coach (Larry) Brown wanted badly and we were fortunate enough that he chose to be a part of this team," said Stu Jackson, who chaired the selection committee that included Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

"With guys like Amaré and LeBron, it really sends a signal in terms of the composition of our team that it's good to have some young players on your team for the future. Amaré certainly is one of the brightest young players in the world today. I have a feeling he'll play a big role on this team."

AMARE!!!!

frankwilliams

Benchwarmer
just so that you know....
i was being sarcastic about the.....
"Outside Of The USA Probably".....
Slow People are giving me shit for that....

AJD

Benchwarmer
frankwilliams said:
just so that you know....
i was being sarcastic about the.....
"Outside Of The USA Probably".....
Slow People are giving me shit for that....
SLOW PEOPLE???

rady

Administrator
Staff member
please, from now on..

ONLY SLOW PLEOPLE ALLOWED

it seems that we can't handle people that are to smart for us

Status
Not open for further replies.