Chris Paul to Knicks?

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Adamek: Chris Paul could be a Knick

Tuesday, April 6, 2010
The Record

Let?s say LeBron James doesn?t come to New York, as Tracy McGrady apparently believes. Or Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Amar?e Stoudemire or even Rudy Gay don?t, either.

How about this alternative: Chris Paul? The game?s most entertaining (and, presumably, non-Vaseline-eating) point guard.

Could happen. This summer.

Could happen because to watch rookie point guard Darren Collison play for the Hornets after Paul underwent midseason knee surgery ? and know how tightly the Hornets pinch pennies ? CP3 could be gettable.

Remember, as Isiah Thomas once said (forgetting Willis Reed and Patrick Ewing), New York is a guard?s town ? even though these parts haven?t exactly produced a Grade A NBA one in years.

Maybe, in a package deal, it could become Teaneck native David West?s town, too. CP3 and D-West running the pick-and-roll would look a damn sight better than Chris Duhon and David Lee running it, don?t you think?

Agreed, this sounds a lot like some inane squawk-radio trade proposal (We?ll give them Eddy Curry for LeBron ? if the Cavs throw in Mo Williams, too). And we still think Ricky Rubio could be a Knick by 2011.

But we throw Paul out there because we know, for sure, this is an alternate scenario on Donnie Walsh?s radar: a wildebeest team (i.e. Clippers, Grizzlies, Kings, Hornets) on which the ravenous Knicks can pounce in lieu of the free agent pool.

It?s how the Knicks got Larry Johnson for Anthony Mason and Brad Lohaus 13 years ago.

It?s how some other team willing to pay Paul the next two seasons could land him this summer, too.

True, any salary beyond next season could run into the NBA?s reworked labor agreement following the anticipated 2011 lockout. A hard or less-flexible salary cap (the latter more likely) could hurt teams with big-bucks players beyond next season.

But this is Chris Paul, not Stephon Marbury, and these are the Knicks. Perhaps it?d cost Lee (via a sign-and-trade deal) or Wilson Chandler, for starters, but if there?s a will (and Walsh), there could be a way worth doing.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/p...knicks/89972612_C__Paul_could_be_a_Knick.html

Here's another article:
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/03/19/chris-paul-too-good-to-not-trade/

I would prefer Paul over Lebron. Anybody and everybody on the Knicks is worth Chris Paul.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I tend to agree that Paul is worth any of our players but he can't be the only move. The irony would to finally get an all star PG and not have anyone to pass to.

Last edited:

pakopako

Benchwarmer
I doubt NO would want to lose CP3, but if it did happen having CP3 on the team could attract more players.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
you gota be smoking crack to want CP3 over LeBron....Paul is good, but no where near James status... whether it be pure skill/ability to make those around you better/ etc James has him beat... Fact, if we were to get Paul and no other big improvements i'd be dissappointed, as getting a great pg is great, but having other plays [to pass to and score] is key..

cp3 may be best pg, but James is [arguably] best player. period.

I do think we need a good pg, and they don't come much better than Paul..though we'd have to get someone else to go w him for sure..

If James, wade, Bosh/Johnson etc didn't work out, or if Paul could be in some combo i'd say go for it. but Paul alone, w this team, no sir.

metrocard

Legend
Chris Paul is better than LeBron James...please be serious.

a PG > Wing.

Paul is the best PG
Jams is the best SF.

Paul would fit better on this team anyway way more than James will, we have too many SF's already.

PG - Paul
SG - Walker
SF - Gallinari
PF - Lee
C - Baron

Back up guard
Douglas/Rodriguez

Back up big man
2010 Draft pick/MLE

tiger0330

Legend
Paul is a great PG but he doesn't make a team of role players championship contenders like Lebron does. Take Lebron off the Cavs and they are not much more than a .500 team. I don't care if you have 9 wings on a team, you still get him first to build a team.

dave2138

Rotation player
We have nothing to offer them anyway for Paul. Gallinari + Douglas + Chandler + Curry? Is that enough for them to give up the best young PG in the game just to save money 2-3 years from now? I don't think so..

Only way I see Paul getting traded is if they get a top 5 pick in the draft next year and/or get another team to take Okafor.

Stick to the 2010 FA Market...we can't afford to trade away what little valuable players that we have.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We have nothing to offer them anyway for Paul. Gallinari + Douglas + Chandler + Curry? Is that enough for them to give up the best young PG in the game just to save money 2-3 years from now? I don't think so..

Only way I see Paul getting traded is if they get a top 5 pick in the draft next year and/or get another team to take Okafor.

Stick to the 2010 FA Market...we can't afford to trade away what little valuable players that we have.

Don't forget, since we are under the cap, salaries will not have to match for trades to work. Meaning, we can take on a huge salary and give them significant cap relief (which the Hornet's franchise desperately needs) for practically nothing.

Essentially we could give them Chandler for Paul and Okafur. I'm not saying this has a likely chance of happening but more to show how easily we can make a trade worth looking into. This would give them massive cap relief, massive.

Say we give them Chandler and Douglas for Paul and Okafur. Sign a few other players to fill out the roster and save about $6 mil in cap space for next year.

Then sign Melo next year.

PG-Paul
SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
SF-Gallo
PF-Melo
C-Okafur

Scribbles

Rotation player
Im all for it but for the love of God, change the jersey number. The Knicks should just retire that number all together.

It's cursed.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Don't forget, since we are under the cap, salaries will not have to match for trades to work. Meaning, we can take on a huge salary and give them significant cap relief (which the Hornet's franchise desperately needs) for practically nothing.

Essentially we could give them Chandler for Paul and Okafur. I'm not saying this has a likely chance of happening but more to show how easily we can make a trade worth looking into. This would give them massive cap relief, massive.

Say we give them Chandler and Douglas for Paul and Okafur. Sign a few other players to fill out the roster and save about $6 mil in cap space for next year.

PG-Paul
SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
SF-Gallo
PF-Melo
C-Okafur

I don't think we have the cap room to sign Melo if we get Paul and Okafor, though...not sure on that one, however.

And while the Hornets probably don't want to part with CP3, seeing Darren Collison play probably tempts them at the thought of saving almost 50 million dollars over the next 3 years.

dave2138

Rotation player

PG-Paul
SG-??? (Anthony Morrow?)
SF-Gallo
PF-Melo
C-Okafur

Their payroll is at 73 mil right now going into next year. Getting rid of Paul + Okafur and adding Gallinari + Chandler lets say, puts them at 53 mil. So is it really their goal to be at the salary cap instead of over it and be one of the worst teams in basketball?

I really can't see any way they trade Paul...just doesn't make sense.

Okafur, by himself should be tradable no? He was traded last year with the same contract...if they are that desperate there will be a team willing to pay him. His contract right now is 4 years/50 mil...that's probably what he would get as a FA if he were one now in my opinion.

Dallas would be a good fit...Okafur for Dampier, then New Orleans can buy out Dampier. Even the Knicks can get Okafur for next to nothing if they are that desperate because like you said they don't have to match payrolls.

So I don't get how Chris Paul HAS to be traded in all of these rumors.

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
I don't understand how anyone could want Paul over James...

Paul would make us an average team/a little above average...it'd be nice to have a pg to run stuff right and make some nice passes - but he's not good enough to make us a serious winning team.... and that's not simply because of his skills, he'd make us a great team as much as a PG could...

James would make us an immediately championship-possible team...James can do it all consistently..

cp3 is a great pg, but lets not be unrealistic about him in comparison to James and the impact each would have.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
Another tsunami of media BS. The guy's not even a FA.

Doesn't have to...if we don't sign one or two max contracts, we'll have the cap space to absorb his contract in a trade for let's say Wilson Chandler. Might happen, if the Hornets are really up for sale.

iSaYughh

Starter
I don't understand how anyone could want Paul over James...

James would make us an immediately championship-possible team...James can do it all consistently..

cp3 is a great pg, but lets not be unrealistic about him in comparison to James and the impact each would have.

+1000000

It's becoming more and more unreal at the amount of underrated James is on here. Maybe pre-emptive denial at the impending PIMPSLAP he's going to give our org? :beer:

Adding James and doing diddlydick nothing but re-signing Lee and letting time take its course would make us the most desirable franchise in the sport.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
With more reports of Lebron staying and Wade staying, who else would you rather have than Chris Paul?

Bosh is looking more and more like a waste and we can easily get the same production from Lee but with less money.

Amare is ok but he is not worth a max deal. Again, Lee for $10 mil seems better than Amare for $16 mil.

Joe Johnson? No thanks. He's a great player but he will be 30 years old....and again, he's not worth a max.

Chris Paul is worth a max deal. If we're going for a max player, what's wrong with just going after Paul?

New Orleans wants to dump salary. They would love to dump Okafur and Posey. We have massive cap space and can absorb those salaries. I think it is something Donnie should seriously look into this summer.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
^

As far as being under the cap and not having to match salaries, would we even need to bring Okafor in on the deal? Posey, Blowkafor and Paul add up to approx $30m in combined salaries.

Couldn't we just offer them Douglas and Chandler for Paul and Posey? N.O wouldn't do it unless the honcho was a poo eating psychopath anyway. Sure they've got Collison, who is great but come on.... CP3? NEVER!!!!!!

That kid'd be flirting with triple doubles nightly in the East. With Paul and Lee running the P&R........... Mine God.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Yes, technically we would not need to bring in Okafur, but I think we would have to in order to entice N.O. to give up Paul. Relieving them of that much cap space may be too hard for them to pass up.

Chandler + Douglas + Curry's expiring for Paul + Okafur + Posey would work and would leave us enough cap space remaining to resign Lee + a SG and some bench pieces.

Yeah, Lee and Paul on the P&R would be amazing.

But like you said, N.O. would be crazy to give up Paul for just cap relief. They are hurting financially though and you can never doubt the desperation of a extremely cheap owner.

nk11

Benchwarmer
apparently having cp3 on your team doesnt mean that much if you have no other weapons...look at NO, theyre terrible even when cp3 is healthy.

and okafor is horrible, hes undersized, has an inflated contract, and no scoring ability to speak of...he needs to play next to a dominant pf(not david lee -_-) to not get exposed every play...

i do agree that cp3+lee>cp3+dwest.