Surprises and Disappointments this season

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
Not quite.

Lee has expanded his game dramatically this year.. I never really recalled him having much of a jump-shot, but this year he really showed that he can knock shots down from as far as just inside the 3 point line, w ease... not only can he make them, most of the time his shot / form looks pure and it swishes...

That being said, he's on a 'terrible' team, as the article says.. whether his numbers would fluctuate on another team where he isn't the best player by far on the court, is a big question... i think they'd probably go down a little bit, but I do think he's a hustler and would scrap until they were on-par for what he needed to do... his jumper isn't going change regardless of what system he's in.. but going back to his normal position and being on a different team would likely change things up a bit

Unlike Bosh who i could see putting up good numbers/improving regardless of where he goes, it seems theres a little more question surrounding Lee..

If it works out that we can sign Dlee at the right price i'd say do it, i like him and he works hard..if he is out of the price range though, i think it'd be wise to move on.. his numbers are likely ballooned and his lack of D makes it not so bad to see him go.

iSaYughh

Starter
Lee has pretty much always had this jumper, IMO. At least for the past 3 years that I can remember watching him. He's just recently found the confidence to actually take it consistently, and the said confidence only accelerated the rapidity of his overall improvement (jumper included, of course).

Lee has *always* knocked down a pretty sweet shot, he just didn't take them that often (and not nearly often enough).

Imagine Lee back at PF? We need to assess the cap situation when it is at a more static point, but LJ posted a very promising article that could give us a real dreamboat situation. But at PF? I could see his D becoming pretty legit there to add to superlative rebounding.

I'd rather win with Lee than Bosh, but if we can work magic with Lee's bird rights and what not....tough one..Bosh is a real proven beast.

Prolly best/most desirable PF to have in the entire NBA.

+1 that more ?'s surround what Lee could do for us in the future. Lee is the more endearing and sexy pick; but Bosh is really the best to have, as an individual player, and for our overall situation.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Lee deserves to be winning in New York more than ANY player in the NBA now.Can anyone argue that?All these years and always improving.If he asks for near a max or something, then maybe not.I definitely rather keep Lee for less than spending more on Bosh.

Pedro De Pacas

Benchwarmer
I have some concerns, because he can't defend big c's, but might have some offensive struggles against quicker, more athletic pf's. to me, it's hard to decide if he's a keeper or not. But Lee and Curry for Bosh sounds fine...

Kiyaman

Legend
I was thinking this thread was about the Knick Team

I was thinking this thread was about the Knick Team.....

This thread is about "Fantasy Basketball".....nothing to do with "Team-Basketball".

Those who watched David Lee his first two seasons in the NBA league seen a player that improves his all-around performance season after season.
They also seen a great-complimentary player with a winning hustle that improves his teammates performance.
David Lee is not a "STAT" player he is a "complimentary-team-winning-player"....if Lee only get 1 point and 1 rebound per game in 20 games then his team WON 15 of those games.
That is the type of player David Lee is in the NBA.

David Lee's performance this season should be "NO" suprise to any Die-Hard Knick-Fan, when each season (Lee been on the Knicks) his performance has increasingly improved.
Do anyone recall when (15 rebound) Charles Oakley played the majority of all his playingtime as the "Center" for the Jax & Jordan Chicago Bulls team?
That same roster of Chicago Bulls WON 3 Championships in a row after they traded Oakley for a real NBA center Bill Cartwright.
Oakley was a better fit at the PF-position with Patrick Ewing as his Center.

The Knicks biggest "DISAPPOINTMENT" was having a headcoach that is very clueless of NBA coaching in so many areas of the game.
Especially coaching in the Eastern Conference...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Lee is an amazing fantasy basketball player. Mostly because fantasy basketball doesn't really measure defense in the same way real basketball does (ie their best measures of defense are blocks and steals, hardly indicative of defense in real basketball)

He's a good basketball player, but hardly a great one.

Kiyaman

Legend
Lee is an amazing fantasy basketball player. Mostly because fantasy basketball doesn't really measure defense in the same way real basketball does (ie their best measures of defense are blocks and steals, hardly indicative of defense in real basketball)

He's a good basketball player, but hardly a great one.

Asking Lee to apply defense the past two season on Damntoni's Knick Team, when Lee is an expiring contract player on another one of headcoach Damntoni's worst defensive team in the NBA (Denver, Phoenix, and Knicks)......is like asking yourself to take (only) a knife into a gun fight...

Did anyone ever ask defenseless Dirk and Amare to play defense when pass-first Nash was running the PG with teammates Finley & Jamison, or Joe Johnson & Marion on his sides running with him

quiggle

Starter
if you like Lee, you'd wish him the best and hope he can sign with a real championship contender and not one that is rebuilding like the Knicks are. a pro career only lasts so long.

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
Im too lazy right now to take a look at stats but you guys are ****ing insane if you think david lee is not a keeper. This guy averaged a double double for us off the ****ing bench a couple years ago.

Yeah guys great idea lets get rid of david lee and watch him win a championship with kevin durant real smart guys. Yall mother ****ers need to stop playing fantasy basketball and listening to these sports writers... These comments make me realize that yall most have never actually played ball wtf:2cents:

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Where is the proof that Lee is a "complentary team player" and a "winner" all the sudden? WHEN were the Knicks winning witb David Lee? Even before Dantoni, the knicks werent winning with lee...

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
^ that.

DLee is easy to like. He hustles hard, and wears NYC with pride.. he deserves winning more than anyone else... but he's yet to be a 'winner'.. As, the Knicks haven't been 'winners' in a long time..

I'd be interested to see how he does going back to his normal position, having to play against some of the big men he's had to out of position is no easy task, and likely caused his D numbers to go down... though it's hard to tell if they'd go up much regardless..

At the right price, as Donnie says, he'll be a great sign for the Knicks... if he's asking for too much, if he thinks he's some legit all star cause he was subbed in and asks for more than he's worth, we will part ways... of course most Knick fans as said would love to see him return- his hustle is appreciated by all...

but lets not pretend his talent has amounted to any sort of winning correlation over the passed few years, Knicks haven't won and he's been in the thick of it... you can blame all that on poor coaching, etc but when it comes down to it, it is what it is.... given, the same thing can be said about Bosh and their record [to an extent]..

I do think Lee has improved dramatically, which isn't totally unexpected.. and hope he continues to do so upon going to his normal position.. I do think he is notch or two below Bosh status though.. As i said earlier, Bosh will get his numbers and change games/seasons... Lee will get 12 pts and 10 bounds a game... having a huge impact on a game/season- i don't think so..

Bosh is an overall better player, so i think the team would be willing to pay him a bit more for his talent.. i think theyll do what they can do keep Lee as well.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Biggest surprise - Seeing Jordan Hill get traded.

Biggest disappointment - Duhon topping off and swallowing Dantoni every night to keep his starting job for most of the season.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
^ that.

DLee is easy to like. He hustles hard, and wears NYC with pride.. he deserves winning more than anyone else... but he's yet to be a 'winner'.. As, the Knicks haven't been 'winners' in a long time..

I'd be interested to see how he does going back to his normal position, having to play against some of the big men he's had to out of position is no easy task, and likely caused his D numbers to go down... though it's hard to tell if they'd go up much regardless..

At the right price, as Donnie says, he'll be a great sign for the Knicks... if he's asking for too much, if he thinks he's some legit all star cause he was subbed in and asks for more than he's worth, we will part ways... of course most Knick fans as said would love to see him return- his hustle is appreciated by all...

but lets not pretend his talent has amounted to any sort of winning correlation over the passed few years, Knicks haven't won and he's been in the thick of it... you can blame all that on poor coaching, etc but when it comes down to it, it is what it is.... given, the same thing can be said about Bosh and their record [to an extent]..

I do think Lee has improved dramatically, which isn't totally unexpected.. and hope he continues to do so upon going to his normal position.. I do think he is notch or two below Bosh status though.. As i said earlier, Bosh will get his numbers and change games/seasons... Lee will get 12 pts and 10 bounds a game... having a huge impact on a game/season- i don't think so..

Bosh is an overall better player, so i think the team would be willing to pay him a bit more for his talent.. i think theyll do what they can do keep Lee as well.
I agree with this post.

David Lee is not worth more than 10 or 11 million dollars a year. He hustles, takes good shots, and does everything in his power to win. His only knock: HE DOESNT WIN.

Our whole plan from the beginning was to cut enough cap space for a fresh start, in which we would bring in 2 max contract players to run our team to the top of the Eastern Conference. We traded away our lottery pick, and a future lottery pick (hopefully not...) just to have the ability to do so.

David Lee is a great player. He will fit in nicely with other teams trying to contend, as he will do what it takes to fit his role.

For the Knicks, however, I'd like to see a fresh start. As much as I like Lee, I'd be willing to spend the extra cash on Bosh to help sway another capable max (LeBron, Wade, etc.) to come and begin a dynasty. It's 2010 or bust at this point.

The Carmelo comments have been taken WAY out of context at this point now and I'm sick and tired of it. "Anyone would love to play in NYC"...DUH! He's stating the obvious, not addressing his comeback to NYC. Why would anyone leave a winning situation with great pieces in a LOCKOUT YEAR to help rebuild a team. We didn't trade away a valuable 2011 expiring contract in Jeffries to get ONE player in 2010 and wait for 2011 with LESS cap space than we would have had before. The logic amongst a group of people on this forum is so extremely flawed.

David Lee, and Carmelo Anthony will not be wearing Knicks jerseys in the year 2012. I'd be willing to put money on that.