ESPN Sophmore Rankings

Paul1355

All Star
Knicksrulz told me to post this up so here it is...the most recent rankings...

Originally Published: January 15, 2010
Sophomore 20: Best in Year 2

<DIV class=subhead sizset="7" sizcache="0"><STYLE type=text/css> .page-actions li {display:inline;float:left;line-height:17px;padding:0 4px 0 0;} .page-actions ul {float:right;padding-top:4px;width:auto;_width:413px;} .page-actions a.count_bubble { background:url("http://a1.espncdn.com/prod/assets/count_bubble_right.png") no-repeat scroll right top transparent; color:#225FB2; display:block; float:left; margin-right:0px; margin-top:-4px; _margin-top:0px; min-width:25px; padding:0; text-align:center; } .page-actions a.count_bubble span { background:url("http://a2.espncdn.com/prod/assets/count_bubble_left.png") no-repeat scroll left top transparent; display:block; font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-size:10px; line-height:16px; padding:5px 4px 11px 6px; _padding:2px 4px 11px 6px; } div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-total {margin-left:1px;} div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet {margin-left:0;} .page-actions { padding:0; display:block; width:100%; } div.subhead cite.source {_width:162px;} .notebook-container .mod-page-header .page-actions a.count_bubble {color:#225FB2;padding:0 0 4px 0;} .mod-article-title .page-actions cite.source a {margin:0;padding:0;} .notebook-container .mod-page-header .page-actions {width:auto;} div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet:link, div.topsy_theme_blue a.topsy-sm-retweet:visited {_background:#336699 !important;} #tweetmeme_button a.count { color:#424242; display:block; float:left; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; margin-left:5px; margin-right:5px; padding-left:0; } #tweetmeme_button .retweet:hover, #tweetmeme_button .retweet.selected { background-position:0 -61px; color:#80B62A; } #tweetmeme_button .retweet { background:url("http://zulu.tweetmeme.com/widget.gif") no-repeat scroll 0 -45px transparent; color:#FFFFFF; cursor:pointer; display:block; float:left; font-size:11px; height:16px; line-height:16px; padding:0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:50px; } #tweetmeme_button a { border:medium none; text-decoration:none; } #tweetmeme_button { font-family:arial; } </STYLE>
  • Email
  • Print
  • Comments 17<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> jQuery(document).ready(function() { jQuery.getJSON("http://mb.espn.go.com/dir-app/acx/activeContent.aspx?catList=Conversations&webtag=espnmb&fmt=json&type=talkback&contentID="+5086912+"&timeout=1&count=50&leaveHtml=true&scriptkey=_conversation&newestFirst=true&callbackParam=local&callback=?",function(data){try{var countexists = (data.ContentElement.Forum[0].Folder[0]);}catch(err){var countexists = 0;}if (countexists != 0) {jQuery("#comments-on-story-count").html((data.ContentElement.Forum[0].Folder[0].Discussion[0]["@messageCount"])) } else {jQuery("#comments-on-story-count").html(0)} ;}); }); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> ;(function($) { $('a[share_url]').live('click', function() { anABLinkTest('','espn','sharingbuttontest_separate','facebook','sharingbuttontest_separate'); }); $('a.topsy-sm-retweet').live('click', function() { anABLinkTest('','espn','sharingbuttontest_separate','twitter','sharingbuttontest_separate'); }); })(jQuery); var topsy_style = "small"; var topsy_order = "retweet,count"; var topsy_theme = "blue"; var topsy_nick = "espn";</SCRIPT>
  • Share <SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share"></SCRIPT> <!--li style="vertical-align:bottom;"><script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.topsy.com/topsy.js?init=topsyWidgetCreator"></script><!--{"url":"http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david%26page=Sophs-100415","title": "Sophomore 20: Best in Year 2"}--><!--/div></li-->
  • retweet

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>jQuery(document).ready(function() { jQuery.getJSON("http://api.tweetmeme.com/url_info.jsonc?callback=foo&url=http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david%26page=Sophs-100415&callback=?",function(data){ jQuery("#tweetmeme_button a.count span").html(data.story.url_count) jQuery("#tweetmeme_button a.count").attr("href",data.story.tm_link); })});</SCRIPT>
<CITE class=source> By David Thorpe
Scouts Inc.
Archive </CITE>
<!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline --><NOSPACE><!-- photo wide photo -->
nba_g_sophomores_576.jpg
<CITE>Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE/Getty Images</CITE>Derrick Rose (not pictured) is the lone All-Star from this class, but he isn't the top soph on this list.
<!-- end wide photo -->
What a difference a year makes. Last season, this class looked special, with the potential for multiple All-Stars and strong rotation guys in its future. But this season, while there are still many All-Star caliber players at the top, the class has dropped a notch overall. This happens on the NBA ride, as teams bring in new players as well as new coaches.
So after two grueling seasons, who sits atop our Sophomore 20?
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3448.jpg

<CENTER>Lopez</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
1. Brook Lopez, Nets
I understand the irony of picking Lopez first in this class. NBA teams desire more than anything to find a franchise center, and yet New Jersey, which has found its guy, flirted with being the worst team in NBA history. Nevertheless, Lopez has been sensational in almost every respect and is deserving of this honor.
Try this mental exercise: If you were starting a team from scratch, who would you pick at the center spot after Dwight Howard? I'd suggest that Lopez would be close to a unanimous pick if you polled all 30 NBA GMs, and with good reason. He played with energy all season, provided leadership when the team sorely needed it, and became a force on the block at both ends of the floor.
There are few centers who demand a double-team on offense and don't need help in the post on defense, and Lopez is now in that class. Next season should be the first of many trips to the All-Star Game for Lopez.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3456.jpg

<CENTER>Rose</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
2. Derrick Rose, Bulls
No player has less of a desire to be a superstar but more talent to be one than Rose. It's one of his best qualities. Although he's not a point guard who sees teammates the way guys like Steve Nash, Chris Paul or Deron Williams do, he's such a good guy and teammate that no one on his team cares. They know he's doing all that he can to win, and that's all that matters.
I've written before that he's the LeBron James of point guards, exploding by people and then exploding at the rim; he simply overpowers his opponents. He also has greatly improved his midrange game, specifically from 5-15 feet away from the rim. And with his great attitude and work ethic, it's easy to imagine that he'll develop an improved deep shot for next season, which must pain those who will have to defend him.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3206.jpg

<CENTER>Gasol</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
3. Marc Gasol, Grizzlies
In some respects, Gasol is nothing like the guys just ahead of him and behind him on this list. He's a blue-collar guy who doesn't make highlight-reel plays or look like an impact basketball player at this level. But make no mistake, he's the complete package -- he averaged 14.6 points, 9.3 rebounds, 1.6 blocks and one steal a game this season.
Gasol has a great understanding of the game, playing angles well on defense and exploiting those same angles on offense for buckets or assists. And he's very easy to play with, something that is far more important than is appreciated. When old-school coaches talk about "playing the right way," they are referring to players like Gasol.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3468.jpg

<CENTER>Westbrook</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
4. Russell Westbrook, Thunder
One of my favorite lessons to teach basketball students is the one titled, "Fear the player who has poor skills but still dominates and wins." Westbrook is that guy. He's a poor shooter, he's average at finishing at the rim, and he shoots too much (104 3-point attempts and lots of long 2s, for example). While he's an able passer, he also still struggles with turnovers.
Yet, despite all of those things, he's a big reason why the Thunder are in the playoffs. His will to win and dominate are evident and part of the winning fabric in Oklahoma City.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3449.jpg

<CENTER>Love</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
5. Kevin Love, Timberwolves
He's the only power forward who ranks in the top five in both offensive and defensive rebound rate. And he ranks with Troy Murphy as the only top rebounders to also be true 3-point shooting threats, though Love has tailed off there considerably. So despite dealing with injuries, funky rotations, and some troublesome point-guard play this season, Love still had a positive season and has a bright future.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3450.jpg

<CENTER>Mayo</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
6. O.J. Mayo, Grizzlies
Mayo went from being a primary scoring option last season to often the third or fourth option this season, all for the better of the team. He did so with a great attitude and still averaged over 18 points a game.
He improved in his new role by taking more shots in the paint and becoming a much better finisher inside. Though he had less success from midrange this season, he took fewer shots from that area. Consequently, he became a slightly more efficient offensive player, which is rare for a young player taking on less of a scoring role.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3418.jpg

<CENTER>Beasley</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
7. Michael Beasley, Heat
Beasley did not make the jump in Year 2 that was expected of him. Nor did he improve as much as the guys above him on this list, which is disappointing. But he was still a difference-maker enough times during the season to help Miami be not only a playoff team, but a hot one entering the "second season." He's far from being consistent enough to be depended upon, but there is no better time to change that than in the playoffs.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3428.jpg

<CENTER>Gallinari</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
8. Danilo Gallinari, Knicks
Gallinari is playing like many people expected he would. He's a very good shooter, with potential for greatness in this area. He also battles on defense more than people realize and he's still just 21 years old. Will he be like Dirk one day? Probably not. But compare the two at 21 years of age: Dirk averaged 17.5 ppg, made 37.9 percent of his 3s and added 6.5 rebounds per game. Gallo is at 15 ppg, 38 percent shooting on 3s and 4.9 rpg. "Dirk lite" would be a great sidekick next to any superstar in Gotham.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3436.jpg

<CENTER>Hibbert</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
9. Roy Hibbert, Pacers
The good news is that Hibbert has been about the same player all season. The bad news is he's dropped just a bit from last season in terms of efficient production. Yes, he took more shots and shot a better percentage, but he took more shots only because he played more minutes.
This season, he had a lower player efficiency rating, averaged fewer points and rebounds per 48 minutes, and a had higher turnover rate. In short, he has not stepped up to claim any kind of permanent spot in Indiana going forward.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3447.jpg

<CENTER>Lopez</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
10. Robin Lopez, Suns
Brook's brother hasn't done much statistically to deserve a spot in the top 10. But it's not all about statistics. Since Lopez joined the starting lineup, the Suns have been one of the top teams in the NBA. Forget about his raw numbers, which are way up because of his increased playing time -- Lopez has improved in every metric except for assist rate. He's legitimately earned votes for the Most Improved Player award.
11. Ersan Ilyasova, Bucks
Ilyasova helped the Bucks start the season competitively and was a somewhat consistent force all season. Supremely confident, he shot the Bucks out of some games, but also shot them into some wins.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3438.jpg

<CENTER>Hill</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
12. George Hill, Spurs
Perhaps the best story coming out of San Antonio this season, Hill started the season ready to be a rotation player, then took it up two notches from there. He is an MIP candidate and has a bright future.
13. Jason Thompson, Kings
Although Thompson hit a developmental wall this season -- basically performing as he did last season -- he still looks like he'll be a rotation player in the NBA. The Kings, however, hoped he would grab hold of the starting power forward spot. While that didn't happen, he still has room to grow.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3431.jpg

<CENTER>Gordon</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
14. Eric Gordon, Clippers
Gordon might be the biggest disappointment in the class, but it has a lot to do with the situation he's in. It's hard for a young player to grow in an environment where coaching and management problems have left the team devoid of spirit, ideas and strategies. With a new regime taking over next season, he's a prime "most improved" candidate.
15. Anthony Morrow, Warriors
If Morrow played for a more, shall we say, conventional team, would he earn minutes as a pure, smart shooter? Or does he play right now precisely because the Warriors are so unconventional? Either way, he's proved to be an elite shooter in the NBA, and a guy who is valued by every team because of it.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3423.jpg

<CENTER>Dragic</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
16. Goran Dragic, Suns
In one season, Dragic went from being a draft dud to being a difference-maker as a reserve guard for the Suns. He became a much better shooter and cut down on his turnovers a great deal. He not only showed that he's a legit NBA player, but that he can help his team win games with his energy and quicks.
17. J.J. Hickson, Cavs
A guy who improved in every metric across the board, Hickson has become an important rotation player for the league's best team. If I were to rank the sophomore class after the playoffs, he'd probably be a top-10 candidate as long as he stays in the Cavs' rotation. His athleticism can make a difference in the postseason.
18. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Bucks
His statistics are not inspiring and he does not pass many "eye tests," but Mbah a Moute is an integral part of an excellent team. Some people see him as the next Bruce Bowen. While I don't, I do see a great glue guy who plays extremely hard and smart and does things the right way. He's about winning, and that's what he's brought with him to Milwaukee.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
3445.jpg

<CENTER>Lee</CENTER>
<!--END INLINE MUG-->
19. Courtney Lee, Nets
Lee did not shoot the ball as well as he did last season, but he still rebounded from a terrible start to make over 40 percent of his 3s in February and March, while being the Nets' best defender. Most importantly, he was a steady ship on a rocky sea, making it easy for the Nets' decision-makers to believe in him going forward.
20. Rudy Fernandez, Blazers
No one is more disappointed in his play this season than Fernandez himself, who saw his minutes, shooting and scoring numbers drop from last season. He has openly questioned what his role will be next season and where he'll be playing. Still, he managed to make over 37 percent of his 3s and averaged over 11 ppg in April as Portland made a strong late-season run.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
I think Gallo has been better than Beasly and Gasol, but it's good that he's in the top ten. This class is pretty loaded at the top though, can't wait to see the development of Gallo and some of these other guys next year.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I think Beasley has a hell of a lot more potential than Gallo (I thought he'd someday be playing as well as Durant is now), but Gallo has hustle and heart, which Beasley doesn't (or at least he lacks it when I see him).

Last edited:

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
gallo will be a great 2/3 guy on our team next season i expect him to come in next season and average around 17-18 points a game. id be very disappointed if he doesnt come into next season looking bigger and with improved skills

Red

TYPE-A
Brook Lopez #1...

good, now I've got that out-of-control, frustrated, regretful, want to go slap a n*gga feeling!

Right behind D. Howard!

thanks Paul!

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Whatever I write u guys are just going to say I dont like Gallo.

WTF! I'm writing my opinion any way.

Gallo was put in the top 10 circle b/c his coach gave him 34 minutes of playingtime in 81 games.

Other 2nd season players that showed more talent and potential was not able to receive such high minutes of playingtime on their team.

JJ Hickson 20 mpg performance wouldve help the Knicks win more games than Gallo 34 MPG (Gallo made Hickson look like a super-star in the summer league games).....here are some more 2nd season bigmen that wouldve added more wins for the Knicks in the past two seasons:

F/C-Roy Hibbert 24 mpg
C-Jason Thompson 28 mpg
G/F-Anthony Morrow 26 mpg

I did not put down any 2nd season guards b/c practically all the guards wouldve been a great big improvement over Duhon.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Whatever I write u guys are just going to say I dont like Gallo.

WTF! I'm writing my opinion any way.

Gallo was put in the top 10 circle b/c his coach gave him 34 minutes of playingtime in 81 games.

Other 2nd season players that showed more talent and potential was not able to receive such high minutes of playingtime on their team.

JJ Hickson 20 mpg performance wouldve help the Knicks win more games than Gallo 34 MPG (Gallo made Hickson look like a super-star in the summer league games).....here are some more 2nd season bigmen that wouldve added more wins for the Knicks in the past two seasons:

F/C-Roy Hibbert 24 mpg
C-Jason Thompson 28 mpg
G/F-Anthony Morrow 26 mpg

I did not put down any 2nd season guards b/c practically all the guards wouldve been a great big improvement over Duhon.

So it's either an NBA wide conspiracy to make Gallo look better or just possibly all those other players weren't deserving of the amount of minutes Gall got.

KBlack25

Starter
David Thorpe said:
Gallinari is playing like many people expected he would. He's a very good shooter, with potential for greatness in this area. He also battles on defense more than people realize and he's still just 21 years old. Will he be like Dirk one day? Probably not. But compare the two at 21 years of age: Dirk averaged 17.5 ppg, made 37.9 percent of his 3s and added 6.5 rebounds per game. Gallo is at 15 ppg, 38 percent shooting on 3s and 4.9 rpg. "Dirk lite" would be a great sidekick next to any superstar in Gotham.

Where are the people who said it was totally ridiculous, absurd, wrong, improper, incorrect, ludicrous to compare Dirk to Gallo? Maybe it's not the most perfect comparison, but it does serve at least good enough purpose to have an ESPN writer say exactly what some people on this board have been saying for weeks.

Kiyaman

Legend
So it's either an NBA wide conspiracy to make Gallo look better or just possibly all those other players weren't deserving of the amount of minutes Gall got.

Trillion....u are becoming more of a "JOKE" than this 2010 Dream-on Plan scam sold to Knick-Fans 2 years ago.

Hint: 6.9 JJ Hickson has veteran players ahead of him in the rotation: Shaq, Big Z. Varejao, Jamison, and 40 mpg King James. And lastseason Cavs frontcourt roster had more bigmen than this season, which allowed Hickson to receive consistent steady playingtime at all 3 positions (SF-PF-C) 20 mpg.
That can not be said about Gallo...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Trillion....u are becoming more of a "JOKE" than this 2010 Dream-on Plan scam sold to Knick-Fans 2 years ago.

Hint: 6.9 JJ Hickson has veteran players ahead of him in the rotation: Shaq, Big Z. Varejao, Jamison, and 40 mpg King James. And lastseason Cavs frontcourt roster had more bigmen than this season, which allowed Hickson to receive consistent steady playingtime at all 3 positions (SF-PF-C) 20 mpg.
That can not be said about Gallo...

LOL. I'm a joke? GTFOH. You are the living breathing joke on this forum. You are incapable of having debates and talk past every single poster who makes a point in your direction. You whine and complain and are just filled with negativity about the team you claim to love. You want to parse the article to suite your narrative and have been ignoring that many of us have been saying the same thing for months. You have no idea what these players would contribute on the Knicks or what production they are capable of with more minutes...it's pure conjecture on your part designed to satisfy your bias. You assert points as fact and when questioned make random off the cuff comments that have very little to do with the actual discussion.

Look I could give a fuk at this point about you or the other crybaby pseudo-Knick fans who have done nothing but complain and whine about every facet of our organization. Go ahead and be negative all you want...you won't bring me down. I learned at around the age of 9 not to cry over spilled milk so I won't dwell over missed draft picks. I will wait for the 2010 plan to unfold and pass judgment then, not prejudge and assume failure before the plan is finished.

knicksin60

Starter
I think that Danilo Nowitzki will not only be the best player in the NBA in the near future but the best basketball player in the world.Lebron James and Dwayne Wade should be begging Donnie Walsh to sign them so that they could have the once in a lifetime opportunity to play next to the great Danilo Nowtizki.When the Knicks drafted him 2 years ago over the Lopez brothers, I just knew that the Knicks were going to win an NBA championship in 2011.

Red

TYPE-A
You have no idea what these players would contribute on the Knicks or what production they are capable of with more minutes...it's pure conjecture on your part designed to satisfy your bias. You assert points as fact and when questioned make random off the cuff comments that have very little to do with the actual discussion.
</p
Not to be argumentative...

but aren't you and other D'Antoni supporters the ones who said

"no other coach could've done better with this squad"?

Isn't that conjecture? Isn't that "asserting" points as facts- as you say? ...designed to satisfy your bias?

What's that saying about the pot and the kettle?

knicksin60

Starter
What does pot calling the kettle black mean? Sorry for interrupting the discussion between you basketball scholars.I sincerely apologize.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I think that Danilo Nowitzki will not only be the best player in the NBA in the near future but the best basketball player in the world.Lebron James and Dwayne Wade should be begging Donnie Walsh to sign them so that they could have the once in a lifetime opportunity to play next to the great Danilo Nowtizki.When the Knicks drafted him 2 years ago over the Lopez brothers, I just knew that the Knicks were going to win an NBA championship in 2011.

Can you please stop posting crap like this. I'll assume it sarcasm but if not then please stop.

Kiyaman

Legend
LOL. I'm a joke? GTFOH. You are the living breathing joke on this forum. You are incapable of having debates and talk past every single poster who makes a point in your direction. You whine and complain and are just filled with negativity about the team you claim to love. You want to parse the article to suite your narrative and have been ignoring that many of us have been saying the same thing for months. You have no idea what these players would contribute on the Knicks or what production they are capable of with more minutes...it's pure conjecture on your part designed to satisfy your bias. You assert points as fact and when questioned make random off the cuff comments that have very little to do with the actual discussion.

Look I could give a fuk at this point about you or the other crybaby pseudo-Knick fans who have done nothing but complain and whine about every facet of our organization. Go ahead and be negative all you want...you won't bring me down. I learned at around the age of 9 not to cry over spilled milk so I won't dwell over missed draft picks. I will wait for the 2010 plan to unfold and pass judgment then, not prejudge and assume failure before the plan is finished.

What are u a F.....ing psychiatrist

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not to be argumentative...

but aren't you and other D'Antoni supporters the ones who said

"no other coach could've done better with this squad"?

Isn't that conjecture? Isn't that "asserting" points as facts- as you say? ...designed to satisfy your bias?

What's that saying about the pot and the kettle?

No because the talent and players we have are fact...not conjecture. Understanding that a coach can only do so much with the talent he has is reality. No true center, no true SG and no competent PG= failure regardless of coach. That is not conjecture but the norm...are there exceptions to the rule? Maybe but I haven't seen one.

What's that saying about thinking before you speak? (in this case type)

jimkcchief88

All Star
Where are the people who said it was totally ridiculous, absurd, wrong, improper, incorrect, ludicrous to compare Dirk to Gallo? Maybe it's not the most perfect comparison, but it does serve at least good enough purpose to have an ESPN writer say exactly what some people on this board have been saying for weeks.

Right here. I don't think anyone said don't compare Gallo to Dirk, but look who the writer IS comparing: PEERS. That is the basis of the article. How the "Sophs" are doing stacked up against each other. Any player that comes into the league brings "comparisons". You know "has game like....." or "the next....", but in end you are compared to your peers. So it not out of line to compare entirely out of line to compare Gallo to the scoring champ this year either( I won't say his name because you guys will get mad) because they are the same age, height, and play the same position. And look at who is atop the list and understand some of the guys anger instead of dismissing it. The last time the Knicks were sucessful many years ago, we had a legit center. The contenders in this years playoffs have legit centers. And we passed on one great one to draft our coach's godson and have back-to-back 50 loss seasons to boot. There are reasons bad teams STAY bad. Let's just hope our Knicks can climb out of the gutter.