Johnson has no desire to leave Atlanta

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
Dont know if this was posted but here you go.....

NBA At 2: Johnson Says He's Staying

As the summer of 2010 and the most over-hyped free agency period in the history of free agency draws near, it seems one by one the big would-be free agents are starting to hint at their intentions. Dwayne Wade and LeBron James have all but said in so many words that they're not leaving their current teams, Chris Bosh is talking about what the Raptors need to do to keep him in town, and now Atlanta's Joe Johnson has let it be known that he has no desire to leave Atlanta. He quickly refuted recent reports that his relationship with New York Knicks head coach Mike D'Antoni might sway him to head for the Big Apple this summer.

"I think everybody made such a big deal out of it because me and D'Antoni have a great relationship from Phoenix," Johnson told WCNN in Atlanta recently. "It is nothing more than that. We just talk and like to say 'What's up?' from time to time, but it is nothing bigger than that. My main attraction is here in Atlanta so you know there is nothing to that New York thing. I don't know where everybody is speculating and coming up with all of this stuff."

With that out of the way, the playoffs are at hand, and the Hawks have plenty to prove this year. After making steady progress under the tenure of head coach Mike Woodson, this is the year the Hawks need to take some steps towards the conference finals. Johnson is looking forward to the start of something special.

"It is definitely going to be fun. Just trying to break things down with Jamal (Crawford), how the atmosphere is going to be and I am glad that he is getting a chance to experience this for the first time. Like I said, it is going to be exciting. It is going to be a hostile crowd and I know everybody, we all can't wait to get out there and try to start something special."

The Milwaukee Bucks presented a bit more daunting challenge prior to Andrew Bogut's season-ending injury, but Johnson is well aware that they are still hungry and promise to give the Hawks all they can handle in the first round.

"We definitely know that," affirmed Johnson. "I think even with Bogut going down, you can't overlook them. That still will make them a dangerous team and probably even more dangerous because of the fact that everybody knows that they have to step up and everybody's role has gotten a lot bigger. Guys are going to be very, very aggressive and trying to start the game and it is going to be a tough game. It is going to be a tough series. I can see a lot of those perimeter guys really trying to take the load."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15963

Starks

Starter
The wheels are staring to come off our cute little 2010 plan that we've been posting here for the past 5 years.

jimkcchief88

All Star
The wheels are staring to come off our cute little 2010 plan that we've been posting here for the past 5 years.

Well hopefully this is just "negotiation talk", but Walsh best be coming up with a plan b, ready to go. This years NBA playoffs are full of former Knicks we let go because of summer 2010. If we strike out, there will be a revolt.

New New York

Quiet Storm
LOL!

First off.....it is not wise to take anything anyone in Sports (be it player,coach or GM) says. Need an example just look at Elton Brand saying he will be a "Clipper for Life", look at Larry Brown claiming he wanted to re-sign with The Pistons as their head coach before joining us!

2. This is coming during a playoff run! They just won there opening game of the series, now is not the time to be talking about jumping ship

3. Let Mil. come back and win this series or let them get swept in the 2nd round again and then we will see where his loyalty is at!

Joe Johnson is a nice piece if we add some frontcourt help and a decent PG, no way all of our eggs are in his basket.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Also....this is the time for those Big Time FA's to start talking about staying put!

During the regular season they have to scare their GM's and owners about leaving to possibly force them to make a huge contract extension offer during the regular season (see Manu Ginobli) and when that doesnt work, they simply tell prospective teams they are going to resign with their current rosters after the regular season ends to get them to do something hasty (see Philly and Elton Brand a couple years ago).

A player can not say for sure he is staying or for sure he is signing elsewhere it hurts his negotiating!

Its Poker fellas.... now Im not saying Joe won't resign with Atlanta, but trust me his agent has gotten a couple calls today from GM's once this story broke in order to gauge how serious Joe is about staying in Atlanta! And his agent probably began to salivate and told Joe to keep pouring it on!

With big market teams like Chicago and NY hurting at the SG spot any non max deal would be dumb for Joe to sign right now

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
Donnie even said he's not gonna over pay no player unless is lebron or wade ... And i agree with him on that because a guy like joe johnson dont deserve max money neither amare , bosh , boozer nd lee.... The only way i see a guy like bosh comin is from a sign and trade ... It aint lookin good doe half of these players are going to use us to get that max ... Just like grant hill and steve nash and jason kidd did to us

I see us signing LeBron, resigning Dlee, signing a mid leval player, and trading Eddy Curry for a mid leval player. Then we will probley resign Bill Walker, Earl Barron, and Sergio Rodriguez, for minimum money, then draft some good players and hopefully Walsh will trade us into a first round pick.

Starks

Starter
I see us signing LeBron, resigning Dlee, signing a mid leval player, and trading Eddy Curry for a mid leval player. Then we will probley resign Bill Walker, Earl Barron, and Sergio Rodriguez, for minimum money, then draft some good players and hopefully Walsh will trade us into a first round pick.

What's it like to see the world through rose colored glasses?

I used to think like this to. Then reality sunk in

iSaYughh

Starter

Yep. Ezactamundo. Precislely what I've been
advocating for ages and truly see HAPPENING.

I also agree that Lee being resigned vs Bosh is liklier than
beleived. Bron isn't dumb, he knows
Lee's worth and how beautifully he'd pair with him.

That "midlevel" player is Morrows, or Felton. I think Morrows given Donnie and the world know what a good
passer/virtualPG general Bron already is
and that Lee is a de facto pt. forward.

The other "mid leveler" we ensnare vis a vis Curry is Okefur, possibly Randolph tho trickier due his perceived value.

Henceforth:

pg Lebron/Serg
sg Morrows/Walker(if injured Douglas)
sf Gallo
pf Lee
c Okefur
6th Chandler/Douglas

That is a worldbeater. Instantaneously. Stacked for the future. In The Garden.

The greatest player in the world becoming a 21st century Mailman with a legit PG backup.
A scorching, shooting pure SG with quality, dynamic backups off the
bench.
A CLUTCH, improving sharpshooting, defensive-minded, high-IQ forward.
A proven, still-improving ALLSTAR powerforward who held down @FCKING CENTRR and can pass and compliment like a mofo.
A large, blocking and rebounding machine at center with core-talent.

Donnie&Walsh will sell this to Lebron. He would be a damn fool to refuse.

Team of the preset. Team of the future. O -- he won't exactly be staring at cattle and oggling moose-skin-wearing-women either...no, but NYC/Garden>>>>>>>>>>>other venues.

Gg. 5-7+ dynasty.

Tell me Lebron won't want. What isn't emminently doable of it.

Last edited:

Knicker23

Benchwarmer
^ You think LeBrons going to leave Cleveland, where he's won 60+ last few seasons, because we have David Lee? .. I know Cleveland is aging, and they haven't been able to close the deal... But it is going to take a lot for James to leave the Cavs and that lineup I don't think would cut it... Unless he's already set on leaving... but weighing the different options, I can't see him looking at that line up and what he has now and thinking, 'i need to head to nyc to win' ... i can see him signing a 3 yr extension befoer that...

if we want to land James we need to sign a FA he wants, show him we will have something for him to win with.. other than Gallo/Chandler/Douglas..

And I agree w what New New York said, no FA's in the playoffs are going to make any inclination about leaving a team at a time like this... if anything, they're going to do what he did, and pledge alliances to the team your fighting to win with..

Things have a tendency to change when your swept and/or out of the playoffs..

it's going to be no easy summer though for Donnie... he's going to have to really work some magic... he's done all the right moves, but the most important part is still ahead.

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
People might be against it but i like rajan bell at a vet min ... He's a pretty good defender plus already knows mikes system...donnie is going to be up all night on july 1st making calls .. Remember guys we had many holes on this team now come july a big name free agent or not the positions played are going to be balanced

Kiyaman

Legend

The wheels were never put on when the thought of getting the next team (money making) "$FRANCHISE$" player for nothing in return.
Nothing is free in the NBA....not even water

Starks.....In 2007-8 the Indiana Pacers roster was 10 times easier than the Knicks to lower the cap-space for 2 max contracts by 2010.
G.M. Larry Bird had to decline Walsh 2010 Plan for the Pacers, knowing from experience that it takes coaches, drafts, and trades to build a contender in the NBA. Rather than spend two years breaking down a team and then spend another two or three years trying to put together a playoff team.

All of you alleged Knick fans on here make me sick. You're all just getting nervous now that the offseason is coming up and you are beginning to realize that these Free Agents this offseason actually have free will to sign where they like.

Donnie made these moves because it is the best chance we have to win in the near future. You need a top 5 pick, at least, to get a player you can build a playoff contender around and we aren't going to get that in the draft.

Lebron is the big catch, and we should be happy that we are even in the running for him. LEBRON IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER TO TOUCH A BASKETBALL. We are the only other team who has a chance at him, he is either staying or going to New York, period.

If Joe Johnson wanted to stay in ATL that badly, he wouldn't have rejected 3 contract extensions offered to him this year.

The negativity and pool of ideas to trade for mediocre players to play out of position makes me wonder if you have been watching the knicks for so long, all of you people have forgot what a winning team looks like.

iSaYughh

Starter
^ You think LeBrons going to leave Cleveland, where he's won 60+ last few seasons, because we have David Lee? .. I know Cleveland is aging, and they haven't been able to close the deal... But it is going to take a lot for James to leave the Cavs and that lineup I don't think would cut it... Unless he's already set on leaving... but weighing the different options, I can't see him looking at that line up and what he has now and thinking, 'i need to head to nyc to win' ... i can see him signing a 3 yr extension befoer that...

if we want to land James we need to sign a FA he wants, show him we will have something for him to win with.. other than Gallo/Chandler/Douglas.

I think that lineup takes a giant dump on what Cleveland offers Lebron.

It's always, "well Cleveland wins 60 games". But that's directly
and essentially JUST because OF Lebron!

Cleveland is a dumpster roster Bron aside (Jameson is a nice piece tho, but he's old and aging and recent -- Lebron was having the Cavs contend & rock 60 long before)

If lebron wants Bosh vs Lee by all means...but I don't think he necessarily does.

The lineup above rapes Clevelands and frankly any other team in the
NBA. Only the lakers could challenge in power, but they are mad aging and injuryprone.

If lebron wants sf vs pg it's fine too. Gallo becomes the best and
most lethal 6th man in the game and we trade Chandler to go along with curry/picks to get an even richer deal. Or just trade him sans
curry. Either way he's a nice, tangible asset.

Regardless:

Okefor, Lee (@PF!), Morrows, Gallo, Chandler, Douglas, Walker, Serg...RAPES clevelands roster even with Jameson AND it's significantly younger
and infinitely more primed for even greater growth. Let alone with Lebron on it.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the ignominy of our recent Knicks aside, and Clevelands majesty because Lebron is there...why wouldn't he come
to a more talented, young team in NYC?

Unless you think Clevelands lineup going forward would be superior to the one I names, which is fine, i just don't see it by a longshot. Not in immediate power, let alone talent and longterm growth and dynasty-implications.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Other than Bosh, its better (competitively speaking) for everyone else to stay with their current teams. This team has been gutted and whoever signs here has to accept either a 1 or 2 year period of just being a middle of the pack team before any MAJOR improvement happens.

Any big name FA who signs here will be criticized for it. It just sucks for us that the players we are targeting are already in winning situations. I truly believe Crawford will be instrumental in persuading JJ to stay put.

I don't think the mystique of playing for the knicks is what it once was. The only NY team that has that is the Yankees.

I think that lineup takes a giant dump on what Cleveland offers Lebron.

It's always, "well Cleveland wins 60 games". But that's directly
and essentially JUST because OF Lebron!

Cleveland is a dumpster roster Bron aside (Jameson is a nice piece tho, but he's old and aging and recent -- Lebron was having the Cavs contend & rock 60 long before)

If lebron wants Bosh vs Lee by all means...but I don't think he necessarily does.

The lineup above rapes Clevelands and frankly any other team in the
NBA. Only the lakers could challenge in power, but they are mad aging and injuryprone.

If lebron wants sf vs pg it's fine too. Gallo becomes the best and
most lethal 6th man in the game and we trade Chandler to go along with curry/picks to get an even richer deal. Or just trade him sans
curry. Either way he's a nice, tangible asset.

Regardless:

Okefor, Lee (@PF!), Morrows, Gallo, Chandler, Douglas, Walker, Serg...RAPES clevelands roster even with Jameson AND it's significantly younger
and infinitely more primed for even greater growth. Let alone with Lebron on it.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but the ignominy of our recent Knicks aside, and Clevelands majesty because Lebron is there...why wouldn't he come
to a more talented, young team in NYC?

Unless you think Clevelands lineup going forward would be superior to the one I names, which is fine, i just don't see it by a longshot. Not in immediate power, let alone talent and longterm growth and dynasty-implications.
I couldnt have said it better myself.
Without LeBron, the Cavs would be the same as the 2009-2010 Knicks. if LeBron Leaves Cleveland they are royaly ****ed because who the hell wants to go to Cleveland?

and BTW did you watch the game last night and durring the game they played an interview with Noah where they ask him if hes seen any of the sights and he says

"Whats there to see?"

then they suggest the Rock n' Roll hall of fame and he says

"Nah man im just going to stay in my room. all they got here is factorys. This place is-

and then they cut him off LMAO!

knicksin60

Starter
I'm so tired of Joe Johnson! He is an average scorer on a really competitive team.Although he is better than everyone on the roster of the Knicks, he couldn't help his team out of the lobbies of Tracy Towers.If he thinks that he is worth 16 million dollars a year, he needs to be admitted to the psych ward.I see the Knicks winning 35 games with Joe Johnson at the SG position.And I don't want to hear how Mike D'antoni will transform him into a perennial superstar under his system.His last marriage with D'antoni's system was a disaster and would not get the Knicks past the first round if he signed here.

Paul1355

All Star
Dont know if this was posted but here you go.....

NBA At 2: Johnson Says He's Staying

As the summer of 2010 and the most over-hyped free agency period in the history of free agency draws near, it seems one by one the big would-be free agents are starting to hint at their intentions. Dwayne Wade and LeBron James have all but said in so many words that they're not leaving their current teams, Chris Bosh is talking about what the Raptors need to do to keep him in town, and now Atlanta's Joe Johnson has let it be known that he has no desire to leave Atlanta. He quickly refuted recent reports that his relationship with New York Knicks head coach Mike D'Antoni might sway him to head for the Big Apple this summer.

"I think everybody made such a big deal out of it because me and D'Antoni have a great relationship from Phoenix," Johnson told WCNN in Atlanta recently. "It is nothing more than that. We just talk and like to say 'What's up?' from time to time, but it is nothing bigger than that. My main attraction is here in Atlanta so you know there is nothing to that New York thing. I don't know where everybody is speculating and coming up with all of this stuff."

With that out of the way, the playoffs are at hand, and the Hawks have plenty to prove this year. After making steady progress under the tenure of head coach Mike Woodson, this is the year the Hawks need to take some steps towards the conference finals. Johnson is looking forward to the start of something special.

"It is definitely going to be fun. Just trying to break things down with Jamal (Crawford), how the atmosphere is going to be and I am glad that he is getting a chance to experience this for the first time. Like I said, it is going to be exciting. It is going to be a hostile crowd and I know everybody, we all can't wait to get out there and try to start something special."

The Milwaukee Bucks presented a bit more daunting challenge prior to Andrew Bogut's season-ending injury, but Johnson is well aware that they are still hungry and promise to give the Hawks all they can handle in the first round.

"We definitely know that," affirmed Johnson. "I think even with Bogut going down, you can't overlook them. That still will make them a dangerous team and probably even more dangerous because of the fact that everybody knows that they have to step up and everybody's role has gotten a lot bigger. Guys are going to be very, very aggressive and trying to start the game and it is going to be a tough game. It is going to be a tough series. I can see a lot of those perimeter guys really trying to take the load."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15963
great I am seeing our hopes of a successful free agency dwindling