Joe Johnson??

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Forget Joe Johnson. I hope we don't sign him. Or at least don't sign him to the money he wants. The fact that he can't lead a much more talented Hawk's team past the Bucks minus their best player is reason to pass on this guy. I would sign him for $10-12 mil. No way is this guy worth a max, or close to max, contract.

And Jennings was a major miss by us.

Starks

Starter
Forget Joe Johnson. I hope we don't sign him. Or at least don't sign him to the money he wants. The fact that he can't lead a much more talented Hawk's team past the Bucks minus their best player is reason to pass on this guy. I would sign him for $10-12 mil. No way is this guy worth a max, or close to max, contract.

Yea some big game from JJ last night. A whopping 13 points when his team and city need him most.

PASS!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If they lose to the Bucks, we should be on the phone to J Smooth. Offer D Lee, get Smith the All Star nod he deserves.

ooooohhhh a flying pig...

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't think it's Joe Johnson's fault that the Hawks are down 3-2 to the Bucks.
Jamal Crawford and Mike Bibby have not been playing up to par.
Plus, Johnson has never been the type of player to take over at any given time. He usually scores 20-25 points, and every once in awhile, he has a 30+ point game. The talent he's surrounded with makes him look better than he really is. If Dwyane Wade had the talent the Hawks have, they would be the favorites to win the East.

The Hawks still have a chance to win this series. Game 6 will be just as much win or go home for the Bucks as it is for the Hawks. I don't think the Bucks want to try and beat the Hawks in Atlanta, in game 7, so it's do or die for both teams.

Paul1355

All Star

Johnson is not worth a Max but i do see him leaving if the Hawks lose against the Bucks....

I like Johnson and Lee on this team with a center that can block shots and rebound, we would make the playoffs atleast.

We should not forget him, but use him as a plan B or plan C if everyone signs somewhere else.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't think it's Joe Johnson's fault that the Hawks are down 3-2 to the Bucks.
Jamal Crawford and Mike Bibby have not been playing up to par.
Plus, Johnson has never been the type of player to take over at any given time. He usually scores 20-25 points, and every once in awhile, he has a 30+ point game. The talent he's surrounded with makes him look better than he really is. If Dwyane Wade had the talent the Hawks have, they would be the favorites to win the East.

The Hawks still have a chance to win this series. Game 6 will be just as much win or go home for the Bucks as it is for the Hawks. I don't think the Bucks want to try and beat the Hawks in Atlanta, in game 7, so it's do or die for both teams.

Agreed. But that is precisely the reason why I don't want to sign him to the money he will be asking for.

He is like David Lee. A good player, an All-Star, but not the team leader to take over games. I would sign him for $11-12 mil (close to what Lee is worth). Definitely not close to a max contract, which is what he wants.

If we pay Lee $13-14 mil and Johnson $15-16 mil this offseason, we severly overpaid and wasted our money.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Agreed. Lee isn't worth that and Johnson isn't worth a max contract.

Let's keep in mind that Johnson isn't a superstar in the sense that he's the major player on his team - one could even argue that he isn't even the major player on his team! I would even say that the Hawks owe their success more to the presence of Jamal Crawford off the bench and their strong presence inside the paint with Horford and Smith over Johnson's scoring in the backcourt - Johnson is a #2 player, he's not a max player, and he's not a franchise player.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Joe Johnson = H20 2.0

No thanks! I'll pass on him!

Healthy Allan Houston> JJ

JJ doesn't deserve anywhere near a max contract. LJ put it best. He should be paid a million more than David Lee. That's it.

But let's not vilify the guy. He is a very good player. Just not max contract good.

iSaYughh

Starter
Agreed. But nobody should be surprised if our plans go SNAFU and we overpay bigtime (Lee. JJ.)

pg Collison-Rubio
ss JJ-Douglas
sf Gallo-Chandler
pf Lee-TyrusT
c Emeka

If we were to blow our load on this squad I wouldn't puke. Supremely deep and it'd be fun. Don't know about it being finals materials tho...let alone right away.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We can't think too big.

We can't think about being a finals team when our team has been the absolute joke of the NBA for the past nine years. We can think about being a team built to win it all when we, you know, make the playoffs a few times and get our organization some postseason experience we've been lacking for the past decade

Paul1355

All Star
We can't think too big.

We can't think about being a finals team when our team has been the absolute joke of the NBA for the past nine years. We can think about being a team built to win it all when we, you know, make the playoffs a few times and get our organization some postseason experience we've been lacking for the past decade
true everyone thinks that a few trades are actually possible and we can have a championship team.

The only way we get a champ team is if we get Lebron or D Wade by some miracle this off season, sign another big name...then use Eddy Curry's contract for another decent player to a team that wants to shed cap space.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Well the Hawks escaped the Bucks. Johnson had a forgettable 4-14 8 pt game. But if he does well against the Magic, and the Hawks give them a tough time, he'll probably get a max contract from someone.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
My thoughts exactly. Joe Johnson was pretty much a non-factor in the Hawks' series clinching win - that's NOT the type of player that I want on our team for a max contract. I feel the Hawks owe their success more to strong paint play from Al Horford and Josh Smith and explosive scoring from Jamal Crawford off the bench than they do Joe Johnson, but that might just be me

LJ4ptplay

Starter
My thoughts exactly. Joe Johnson was pretty much a non-factor in the Hawks' series clinching win - that's NOT the type of player that I want on our team for a max contract. I feel the Hawks owe their success more to strong paint play from Al Horford and Josh Smith and explosive scoring from Jamal Crawford off the bench than they do Joe Johnson, but that might just be me

Agreed. Josh Smith is a beast. I would take him (if we could get him) over Joe Johnson a million times over. He would be the perfect PF for this system.

Sign and trade Lee + Chandler for Smith + Marvin Williams

Atlanta gets to dump salary and still get an All-Star. And allows them to resign Joe Johnson without going far over luxury tax threshold. Probably has zero chance of happening, but I can hope.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Agreed. Josh Smith is a beast. I would take him (if we could get him) over Joe Johnson a million times over. He would be the perfect PF for this system.

Atlanta gets to dump salary and still get an All-Star. And allows them to resign Joe Johnson without going far over luxury tax threshold. Probably has zero chance of happening, but I can hope.

cosign, smith is better than johnson.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
cosign, smith is better than johnson.

No he's not. You take Johnson off that team and they don't make the playoffs. Yes Smith is the better fit for here, but Johnson is the better player. Still, Joe has been atrocious of late. It should be OFFICIAL in Donnie's book that Joe Johnson is NOT worth a MAX contract. I think some stupid desperate team will hand him a max contract. I just hope and pray that it's not us. I think a 5 year 60 mil or 65 mil deal is a fair value for JJ, but he'll definetely ask for more.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I have been a hater of the mere thought of signing Johnson since day one of the announcement of the Knicks interest in him.

VS Orlando in the current series he has scored:

Game 1 - 10 points
Game 2 - 19 points
Game 3 - 8 points

All while being guarded by Orlando's back court.

That's ****ing putrid. I bet the Hawks are rejoicing that he declined their most recent extension offer.

Yes Smith is the better fit for here, but Johnson is the better player.

Johnson gets a lot more of the ball though. If he's better, IMO, it's marginal. Smith's efficiency has always been on par if not higher (as it is in the Orlando series) than JJ's.

Joe Johnson is worth as much as Lee if he's lucky.

Poo > Joe Johnson

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

I've called the exact same trade. Smoove would get his first all star nod if he played here. That'd be a better signing than Bosh as far as I'm concerned.