A couple of Knicks talking points on BS Report

KBlack25

Starter
Was listening to BS Report with ESPN writer Bill Simmons and NBA Analyst Marc Stein and they brought up a couple of things about the Knicks that I sort of wanted to share:

1) "I don't know how you can blame D'Antoni for not winning on a team that wasn't trying to win." - Marc Stein, in response to Simmons saying the NY media wants to run D'Antoni out of town.

There's been a lot of debate on this board about this, and I wanted to share just one person's, who is closer to the NBA than a lot of us, take on it.

2) Rumor: Phil Jackson to NY.

This sort of brought up the "Why fire D'Antoni" thing. Stein said that D'Antoni's whole reason for being here was to attract guys here. But Simmons claims he heard floating rumors that Phil Jackson would consider NY, and NY obviously would consider Phil Jackson. Now, I've said it's pointless to fire D'Antoni, but I think we can all agree if Jackson was a possibility we would waive bye to D'Antoni in less than 1 second. Stein thinks you have to let D'Antoni do what he was brought here to do, attract players. If the Knicks strike out, then make a move.

3) Toronto will NOT do a sign-and-trade involving David Lee and Chris Bosh.

Good points made here, Toronto would lose Bosh and make their front-court two guys that should be playing PF and two guys that are not big time defensive bruisers (or offensive bruisers, for that matter) in Andrea and David. I think I've seen this opportunity floated around here, but I don't think it makes much sense for Toronto.

4) Walsh and D'Antoni are not getting along. Simmons claimed each has used media people to sort of bash the other one. I'm not sure exactly what he is talking about, but the rumor is that the NY media wanting to run D'Antoni out of town is based at least partially in stories floated by Walsh. I haven't seen much evidence of this, and some on this board like abcd have not erroneously suggested that the two are attached at the hip at least, and Walsh is D'Antoni's slave at the worst.

5) Eddy Curry to LAC for Baron Davis.

Simmons would not say where he heard it, or even if he heard it, but he make a couple of points about this trade. Donald Sterling is cheap as hell. This saves the LAC $3 million next year (even in the NBA, that's not small shakes) and gets rid of a disgruntled Baron Davis and his contract that runs PAST next year. The Knicks get a PG who thrives in front of big crowds, and will be more than happy to switch coasts to run in D'Antoni's system (I would think). I'm sure support will come in droves on this board for the moving of Eddy Curry for anything, but this solves our PG problem in a quick way, and gives us a guy to possibly attract a good free agent. I'm not sure how Baron is regarded in NBA circles amongst the players, but the chance to play with a pretty good PG is better than what we have now.

nyk_nyk

All Star
Yeah you CAN put some of the blame on a coach for a team that wasn't trying to win. If you can't motivate your team to play harder then you need to be replaced by someone who can. I know talent was somewhat limited but they didn't play hard every night and that's a fact.

A coach is one of the last reasons why guys sign to a team. This isn't college basketball (where that decision could help you reach the NBA). If the money is good and the city is appealing to them or their family then its most likely a good fit for a player. A team that's already competitive also holds weight since most star players feel like they will be that missing piece. Most players feel they can play at a high level no matter who is coaching the team IMO so it just doesn't seem logical to pick a rebuilding team because of a coach when you can be a part of a team on the rise.

I haven't heard anything about Walsh and D butting heads. That could just be media driven... Or it could be true. We'll see.

EC for Baron would work for me. I know Baron is still owed a bunch of money but he would immediately become the best PG we've had in years. I'm sure he's still capable of 17 and 8.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Yeah you CAN put some of the blame on a coach for a team that wasn't trying to win. If you can't motivate your team to play harder then you need to be replaced by someone who can. I know talent was somewhat limited but they didn't play hard every night and that's a fact.

A coach is one of the last reasons why guys sign to a team. This isn't college basketball (where that decision could help you reach the NBA). If the money is good and the city is appealing to them or their family then its most likely a good fit for a player. A team that's already competitive also holds weight since most star players feel like they will be that missing piece. Most players feel they can play at a high level no matter who is coaching the team IMO so it just doesn't seem logical to pick a rebuilding team because of a coach when you can be a part of a team on the rise.

I haven't heard anything about Walsh and D butting heads. That could just be media driven... Or it could be true. We'll see.

EC for Baron would work for me. I know Baron is still owed a bunch of money but he would immediately become the best PG we've had in years. I'm sure he's still capable of 17 and 8.

No, a coach can only do so much. Curry has gone through many coaches and none of them were able to jolt him out of his sluggish soft ways. Further you had a bunch of mismatched players with ZERO stake in the Knicks future. They cared about one thing...their next contract and it lead to individuals hoisting up shots instead of a cohesive team. Having selfish veterans who could care less about our franchise outweighs anything a coach could do.

Contrast that to the team D'ant coach in Phoenix and you saw a well oiled finely tuned machine firing on all cylinders. They all gave max effort so it's clear the blame can't be laid on D'ant for a lack of effort with this group of losers. The culture here was and is horrible and will only change when a dominant alpha male player joins our team and inspires through example like an MJ or Lebron can do. 90% of our team mailed this season in before it started...hence our terrible start.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Baron Davis for Curry

Baron Davis's contract runs for thre more years at $10.050M in 2010-11, $13.950M for 2011-12, and $14.850M for 2012-13. Curry's expiring contract for next year is $11.276. Davis turned 31 years old on April 13, 2010.

Sterling will save an awful lot of money in a straight up trade. Davis is disinterested with the Clippers, but with Griffin and a lottery pick this year, they will have a pretty good team going forward.

For the big $$ savings, we should get more than Davis straight up for Curry. Perhaps a draft pick in 2011 or 2012. Perhaps DeAndre Jordan.

Jordan has a quality that that some of the best big men have had , Shaq, Howard, Ben Wallace, -- they all miss free throws. Jordan shoots them at about 38%.

If Curry for Davis were to happen, it would surely mean that we did not get LeBron. We are going to have to wait until a few things shake out after July 1, 2010.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
BTW, I really do not want Baron Davis on the Knicks. His contract and knees blow. He is old and would be a great piece only if we intend on competing in the next 1-2 years. Bring him here is the last move to solidfy our team..not the centerpiece.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
Was listening to BS Report with ESPN writer Bill Simmons and NBA Analyst Marc Stein and they brought up a couple of things about the Knicks that I sort of wanted to share:

1) "I don't know how you can blame D'Antoni for not winning on a team that wasn't trying to win." - Marc Stein, in response to Simmons saying the NY media wants to run D'Antoni out of town.

There's been a lot of debate on this board about this, and I wanted to share just one person's, who is closer to the NBA than a lot of us, take on it.

2) Rumor: Phil Jackson to NY.

This sort of brought up the "Why fire D'Antoni" thing. Stein said that D'Antoni's whole reason for being here was to attract guys here. But Simmons claims he heard floating rumors that Phil Jackson would consider NY, and NY obviously would consider Phil Jackson. Now, I've said it's pointless to fire D'Antoni, but I think we can all agree if Jackson was a possibility we would waive bye to D'Antoni in less than 1 second. Stein thinks you have to let D'Antoni do what he was brought here to do, attract players. If the Knicks strike out, then make a move.

3) Toronto will NOT do a sign-and-trade involving David Lee and Chris Bosh.

Good points made here, Toronto would lose Bosh and make their front-court two guys that should be playing PF and two guys that are not big time defensive bruisers (or offensive bruisers, for that matter) in Andrea and David. I think I've seen this opportunity floated around here, but I don't think it makes much sense for Toronto.

4) Walsh and D'Antoni are not getting along. Simmons claimed each has used media people to sort of bash the other one. I'm not sure exactly what he is talking about, but the rumor is that the NY media wanting to run D'Antoni out of town is based at least partially in stories floated by Walsh. I haven't seen much evidence of this, and some on this board like abcd have not erroneously suggested that the two are attached at the hip at least, and Walsh is D'Antoni's slave at the worst.

5) Eddy Curry to LAC for Baron Davis.

Simmons would not say where he heard it, or even if he heard it, but he make a couple of points about this trade. Donald Sterling is cheap as hell. This saves the LAC $3 million next year (even in the NBA, that's not small shakes) and gets rid of a disgruntled Baron Davis and his contract that runs PAST next year. The Knicks get a PG who thrives in front of big crowds, and will be more than happy to switch coasts to run in D'Antoni's system (I would think). I'm sure support will come in droves on this board for the moving of Eddy Curry for anything, but this solves our PG problem in a quick way, and gives us a guy to possibly attract a good free agent. I'm not sure how Baron is regarded in NBA circles amongst the players, but the chance to play with a pretty good PG is better than what we have now.

Just a couple of comments on the items in bold:

Phil Jackson to Ny to me seems highly improbable. First Jackson has health issues and is on the tail end of his coaching career. Of course if we were to land 2 max F/A Phil would probably be inclined to coaching a couple of more years with another stacked team. IMO as a MIke D supporter would find that scenario unfair to Mike. You convince him to come here instead of chicago and because things went just like how many thought it would go badly you can him before he gets the chance to coach a team he was hired to coach. It would seriously be a slap in the face and Walsh would not come out looking good.

Now about Toronto. They really are not in a position of power. First if they were to agree to any sign and trade Bosh would have to agree to the trade. And if he doesn't he is just going to walk and leave Toronto empty handed. So all it would take is for Bosh to say look I will only accept a trade to NY and if not I will just opt for free agency and there is nothing Toronto can do about the matter.

And about the proposed Curry trade. Baron Davis would not be the Ideal player I would trade for Curry. But if that is the best you can get before the season are we really going to get better at the trade deadline? Or is it just going to be this same trade scenario revived? But if Walsh believes he can do better that's just a chance I guess he would have to take. Hmmmm.... To me it depends on how long his contract is and if we can perhaps get a younger player or a draft pick.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer

If I'm not mistaken wasn't Phil Jackson coming back to LA part of the reason Kobe resigned?

iSaYughh

Starter
Baron & Kaman? I'll personally fly to Donnie Walsh and be his personal cigar-lighting bitch.

Curry + Walker + 2011 1st

they allow Deandre to take over the reigns at C. Speaking of...I'd almost prefer Deandre > Kaman, specially if we can keep Chandler or walker.

Unless we get CP3 there isn't a Pg on horizon that makes more sense for us. We still have te young and dynamic Serg in wings too.
That said:

pg Baron The Great
sg JoeJohnson
sf Gallo
pf Lebron
c Kaman
6th Douglas
Fantasy, but can you
imagine...if walsh can get kaman and baron...

If Joe Johnson doesn't like the smell of championships we go for the 1st choice play anyways for the bigman @ SG hybrid:

pg Baron
sg Bron
sf Gallo
pf Lee
c Kaman
bench: Douglas, Chandler, Serg(unreal bench!!!)

There isn't a conceivable team in the leauge that would make
more sense for Lebron.

Baron Davis and Kaman change everything. Alters our entire selling pt.

Curry + Walker + Future 1st. Honestly, we n?ed to seriously
begin devaluing our perception of what draft picks mean to us at this point.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Let's stop dreaming...Phil jackson to NY??? He is going to leave Kobe and the best team in the NBA for the Knicks and their problems??? Come on

Walsh and D'Antoni might not be kissing butt after these two seasons, and Mike D knows he is fired if they have another losing season(finally) but they are not talking trash about eachother.

Each one knows who is going if the team does bad...the coach.

Bosh for Lee...It's poitnless to me because Lee cheaper is beter than Bosh for more money.

iSaYughh

Starter
N.b. We can get Barron for 2-3yrs and still make serious play for rubio...Chandler + Serg + 2012 1st

Eggs? Meet Basket.

Starks

Starter
No way Phil comes here. He doesn't want his reputation to be tarnished. He's only going to use us for money when it comes down to him leveraging a deal with the Lakers. He's an LA guy and won't even go back to the Bulls.

And I will say this. PHIL JACKSON is the most overrated coach in the NBA. He wouldn't have done any better than Mike D this season and we all know its true. Maybe +3 to 5 games at most.

Paul1355

All Star
No way Phil comes here. He doesn't want his reputation to be tarnished. He's only going to use us for money when it comes down to him leveraging a deal with the Lakers. He's an LA guy and won't even go back to the Bulls.

And I will say this. PHIL JACKSON is the most overrated coach in the NBA. He wouldn't have done any better than Mike D this season and we all know its true. Maybe +3 to 5 games at most.
If we pay Mike D 6 million just imagine what Jackson would ask for....atelast 12 mil a year...please I'd rater have Patrick Ewing in here for cheap.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
We're not getting Davis AND Kaman...

I'd rather get Kaman than Davis though. Kaman is young and he could be a pretty good player for at least the next 5-6 years. Davis on the other hand is already on the wrong side of 30.

Blas

Benchwarmer
I agree that Phil Jackson is overrated. The biggest thing I give him props for his facilitating egos.

BD = Injuries. Contract is too long. He is a short term solution, why pay a lot of money for a short term solution?

Kaman = Injuries. I know he is a good center, but I think everyone keeps forgetting he is also an injury magnet.

nyk_nyk

All Star
If I'm not mistaken wasn't Phil Jackson coming back to LA part of the reason Kobe resigned?

Kobe was never going anywhere. He was just having a temper tantrum. Listen to the old Stephen A. Smith interview with Kobe and you'll understand.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
No, a coach can only do so much. Curry has gone through many coaches and none of them were able to jolt him out of his sluggish soft ways. Further you had a bunch of mismatched players with ZERO stake in the Knicks future. They cared about one thing...their next contract and it lead to individuals hoisting up shots instead of a cohesive team. Having selfish veterans who could care less about our franchise outweighs anything a coach could do.

Contrast that to the team D'ant coach in Phoenix and you saw a well oiled finely tuned machine firing on all cylinders. They all gave max effort so it's clear the blame can't be laid on D'ant for a lack of effort with this group of losers. The culture here was and is horrible and will only change when a dominant alpha male player joins our team and inspires through example like an MJ or Lebron can do. 90% of our team mailed this season in before it started...hence our terrible start.

Amazing. You disolve Dantoni of just about everything. I said the coach should get SOME of the blame and you still want to shield this man. Curry is not the TEAM and therefore shouldn't be used as an example when talking about a group of players. He's one F-up who can't get it right. No one else on the team was similar to him.

Wasn't individuals hoisting up shots part of Dantoni's gameplan? His philosophy is getting shots up in a hurry so perhaps they were just buying into his "fun" system.

Why can't a coach inspire? George Karl does it, according to his own players. In the history of sports, a team with lack of effort/energy almost always falls on the coaches shoulders. Stop trying to change history to protect this man. He gets one more shot to deliver and that's it if I'm Walsh.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Amazing. You disolve Dantoni of just about everything. I said the coach should get SOME of the blame and you still want to shield this man. Curry is not the TEAM and therefore shouldn't be used as an example when talking about a group of players. He's one F-up who can't get it right. No one else on the team was similar to him.

Wasn't individuals hoisting up shots part of Dantoni's gameplan? His philosophy is getting shots up in a hurry so perhaps they were just buying into his "fun" system.

Why can't a coach inspire? George Karl does it, according to his own players. In the history of sports, a team with lack of effort/energy almost always falls on the coaches shoulders. Stop trying to change history to protect this man. He gets one more shot to deliver and that's it if I'm Walsh.

The funny thing is that I am not a huge D'ant fan...I am more a fan of reality. The over the top accusations on this site and from some in the NYC media have forced my into a defacto position of support but I could care less who are coach is as long as we start winning. My position has always been to give the guy a chance nor would it be prudent to fire him because of two losing seasons during a cap shedding rebuilding plan. If he were gone tomorrow it would not matter...what matters is the justification and what it says about our franchise.

As to this topic...sure D'ant can shoulder some of the blame only if he had a chance at getting through to these players. I don't think it was possible but I leave open the possibility that he could have done more. Really at this point I have had it with these debates and will reserve judgment after next year. Hopefully we can acquire talent that can take advantage of what D'ant can offer.

nyk_nyk

All Star
The funny thing is that I am not a huge D'ant fan...I am more a fan of reality. The over the top accusations on this site and from some in the NYC media have forced my into a defacto position of support but I could care less who are coach is as long as we start winning. My position has always been to give the guy a chance nor would it be prudent to fire him because of two losing seasons during a cap shedding rebuilding plan. If he were gone tomorrow it would not matter...what matters is the justification and what it says about our franchise.

As to this topic...sure D'ant can shoulder some of the blame only if he had a chance at getting through to these players. I don't think it was possible but I leave open the possibility that he could have done more. Really at this point I have had it with these debates and will reserve judgment after next year. Hopefully we can acquire talent that can take advantage of what D'ant can offer.

This wasn't meant to be a Dantoni conversation, rather a generalization on teams and the expectations of their coaches. I know the whole Dantoni debate has been run way into the ground already.