Disappointed Nowitzki may test market

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I think the knock on Dirk as a proven loser is the fact that the Mavericks have won 50+ games for the past 9 or 10 years and they don't have a championship to show for it.

In fact, I think the Mavericks are the ONLY team in NBA history to have such a string of dominant regular season performances and not have a championship.

That doesn't mean Dirk is a proven loser, that just means Dirk can never get the best of Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
he can't get a max, he's too old. He's at his last 2-3 good years of ball. Then it's down hill. I would only sign him if he's willing to take about 8-9mill and he's probably not

Paul1355

All Star
I would pay Dirk max money

He said he would love to play with a guy like Lebron or D Wade...so lets see what happens

The guys that are frustrated with their teams for the past couple of years:
Dirk
D Wade
Bosh
LBJ

This is why all of these guys can possibly be fre agents...currently James would only come to NY for the money, not contrct money but endorsement money.

dlee420

Banned
dirk

He's a proven loser because he does his thing during the regular season.. then has no idea how to shift into playoff mode... he's lost to not only the 8th seed.. but now the 7th! He is soft!

I don't think Dirk is a loser, I just don't think he can step up as the first option on a championship team b/c he's kind of a vagine.

If we are talking about him as a 2nd fiddle to a guy like Lebron then I think it's a good idea, but not for the Knicks. We already have Gallinari who plays the same style as Dirk and I think all acquiring Dirk would do is stall Gallinari's development. With all of the needs the knicks have, we can't waste our money on a piece that we already have.

paris401

Starter
I don't think Dirk is a loser, I just don't think he can step up as the first option on a championship team b/c he's kind of a vagine.

If we are talking about him as a 2nd fiddle to a guy like Lebron then I think it's a good idea, but not for the Knicks. We already have Gallinari who plays the same style as Dirk and I think all acquiring Dirk would do is stall Gallinari's development. With all of the needs the knicks have, we can't waste our money on a piece that we already have.

zepole cannoli plays a similar game to dirk, but do not compare the two... dirk is worlds better then zepole...

moneyg

Starter
he can't get a max, he's too old. He's at his last 2-3 good years of ball. Then it's down hill. I would only sign him if he's willing to take about 8-9mill and he's probably not

:update:well first of all dirk has more than 21 mil comin to him next year. he would not opt out unless he is getting a four or five year contract starting at 19mil. thats what a max player with all his years of service would cost. that would eliminate us signing another max. so it will never happen. that why lebron will sign for three years so he is grandfathered like dirk would be if he opts out now.

ibraheim718

Benchwarmer
:update:well first of all dirk has more than 21 mil comin to him next year. he would not opt out unless he is getting a four or five year contract starting at 19mil. thats what a max player with all his years of service would cost. that would eliminate us signing another max. so it will never happen. that why lebron will sign for three years so he is grandfathered like dirk would be if he opts out now.

:update:ahh.. max's given next year can not be given over 16.8 mil...

zepole cannoli plays a similar game to dirk, but do not compare the two... dirk is worlds better then zepole...

that's my point, having two players who share a similar body type and have a similar style of play is pointless, especially when we are paying less for the younger version who is improving as opposed to the player at the end of his prime. It just makes more sense from a personnel perspective to use the money on a different kind of player, obviously like lebron, or in a sign and trade for a guard or center.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer

It's funny how he doesn't play 2nd fiddle now in Dallas and they were considered STRONG contenders in the West this year, but now all of the sudden when the opportunity comes for him to come to NY, he's only good enough to play 2nd fiddle for our fair weathered fans....smh what happened to NBA fans?

It's pathetic to see people say that Dirk is a proven loser. Winning 50+ games as the number one option AUTOMATICALLY makes you a star in the NBA. DontForget made a good point about LeBron James never winning a championship, yet he's a proven winner in everyone's minds...

DIRK AND LEBRON HAVE BEEN TO THE SAME AMOUNT OF CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

It's fair to say that LeBron has a brighter future than Dirk does, considering LeBron is younger and more athletic, but arguing for Dirk as a proven loser makes no sense logically. I'd like to atleast be put in position to win championships instead of waiting for the CHANCE at a player who is unlikely to opt out like Carmelo.

The reason they were considered strong contenders is because of the trade at the deadline that got them Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler, not b/c of Dirk. Year after year the Mavericks improve their supporting cast for him and year after year they get knocked out early, with the exception of '06 when they choked after going up 2-0.

He won an MVP, awesome. That same year his team got bumped by the 8 seed. That is inexcusable.

The difference between lebron and dirk is the talent around them and their experience. The Mavs roster is LOADED and the Cavs is nothing great minus Lebron. Lebron has put that franchise on his back and gotten them to where they are, while Dirk's Mavs fail to meet expectations in the postseason every year.

The Cavs got to the finals in Lebron's 4th year after graduating high school and having the worst record in the league. Dirk has been going to all-star games since before Lebron was in the league, if Dirk was going to lead his team to a championship, he would have done it by now.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
You can't forget that the West is deadly though. One top 8 West team that is in form could beat/challenge any top 3 east team.

there is just no point to signing him when we literally have a newer model of the same type of player, maybe not an mvp, but a future 20 ppg guy who will end up being our third option for much cheaper. If 2010 plan works out to a T, we get Bosh and Lebron, put that with Danilo who wont get as much attention and you have a formidable 3-some for the next 5-10 years. After that we just worry about role players.

Many people on here don't think Bosh can play the 5, if he can't, than neither can Dirk because he plays even softer than Bosh.

In addition to that if you look at his career stats he is starting to hit the down-slope of his career. Yes, the numbers were still great this year in the regular season, but for how much longer? If I am going to pay a player max money, I don't want him to be deteriorating.

But let's be realistic, Dirk is going to stay in Dallas. He's got an option for 21 million as opposed to signing for $16 million on the open market and he has been in Dallas his entire career. His comments after the game were out of frustration and i don't think they should be taken too seriously.

iSaYughh

Starter
It's a team sport.

Very few players can WILL their team past another, especially when the "other" is hot and surging.

It's an extremely short list of players: e.g. Kobe, Bron, maybs Durant and Wade.

Dirk isn't on this list. So what. He's still a great player who'd help us win and win big.

He's looked good and played with huge effort even in losing team efforts.

And aside from Bron who we obv target above Dirk, no other player on that shortlist or remotely approaching it will be coming to us anytime soon.

How this would translate with us being in the playoffs wouldn't reflect Dirk so much as the rest of the teams construction and performance.

And if we want a wining TEAM the Dirks of the world should be welcomed.

Losing to a hot Spurs team is no shame, regardless of "seed" which can be moot and irrelevent. A vitalized combo of Duncan/Parked/Manu/Pop and a streaking clutch Hill is quite possibly a world beater no matter how you dice it.

iSaYughh

Starter
there is just no point to signing him when we literally have a newer model of the same type of player, maybe not an mvp, but a future 20 ppg guy who will end up being our third option for much cheaper. If 2010 plan works out to a T, we get Bosh and Lebron, put that with Danilo who wont get as much attention and you have a formidable 3-some for the next 5-10 years. After that we just worry about role players.

Many people on here don't think Bosh can play the 5, if he can't, than neither can Dirk because he plays even softer than Bosh.

In addition to that if you look at his career stats he is starting to hit the down-slope of his career. Yes, the numbers were still great this year in the regular season, but for how much longer? If I am going to pay a player max money, I don't want him to be deteriorating.

But let's be realistic, Dirk is going to stay in Dallas. He's got an option for 21 million as opposed to signing for $16 million on the open market and he has been in Dallas his entire career. His comments after the game were out of frustration and i don't think they should be taken too seriously.

Good reasoning. Quite a few red flags.

If plans A, B, C fail he should be welcomed though if it's even possible. Him being some pariah of a "loser" shouldn't be in the equation.

moneyg

Starter
:update:ahh.. max's given next year can not be given over 16.8 mil...

not true. max salaries are based on years of service and are a percentage of the cap. dirks max is more than lebron. thats why gasol ans bryant can sign for like 20 million a year to start beacuse they are grandfathered...lebraon wants a three year so he can sign for a big contract after.

Go do ya research:smokin: