Lebron Sucks Off Akron; Cavs MUST lose!

iSaYughh

Starter
Even I must admit that when these words drip like honey from TheKing's lips its troubling...IMO, it's imperative the Cavs lose.

Lebron needs the "winning matters above all else" road to take and signing elsewhere (read:us) and bringing along Bosh/Lee, and a TyrusT will enable him to convince convince himself that its OK to leave since he just can't win with them.

LeBron's ceremony all about loyalty
Chris Broussard [ARCHIVE]
ESPN The Magazine
May 3, 2010
Comment on this story

Watch Video

AKRON, Ohio -- It will officially go down as a Most Valuable Player award ceremony. But in truth, it was a love-in, a community gathering, a chance for Akron to salute its favorite son and for its favorite son to big up his hometown.

Thousands of fans, scores of them wearing LeBron James jerseys, chanted "M-V-P! M-V-P!'' every chance they got. Hundreds of friends, family members and sponsors turned out to show their support for the world's greatest basketball player. And the superstar himself spoke of Akron as if it were some sort of utopia, declaring his commitment to the place nearly half a dozen times.

"I love Akron to death,'' James said. "Since I was a little kid, I always said I was going to find a way to put this city on the map. And I'm going to continue to do that.''

As James spoke after receiving his second straight MVP award Sunday at the University of Akron, you couldn't help but think to yourself: He ain't leaving.

Of course, James didn't go that far. He kept his wiggle room as the greatest prize in the greatest free-agent class in NBA history by saying, "No matter what might be ahead for me, this will always be my home.''

But everything else about the afternoon said he's staying with the Cleveland Cavaliers. After all, the overriding theme of the event was loyalty -- to his mom, to his family, to his high school teammates, to his city and to his team. Now in his seventh year with the Cavs, James even invited his teammates onto the stage, where they mugged and posed for pictures while sharing inside jokes.

"I don't have any special insight into this,'' said Keith Dambrot, James' first high school coach and now the head coach at Akron. "But if I had to, I'd bet my house that he stays. Why else would you do things like this?''

Things like open up your MVP presentation to the public, for free.

Historically, these ceremonies have been small, fairly mundane affairs. Held in a hotel ballroom or maybe a team's practice facility, they typically involved the player, the media and some team employees. Kind of impersonal, kind of routine, they were never as majestic as they appeared on TV.

But LeBron has turned them into a celebration, a party.

Last year, the students at James' alma mater, St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, along with family and friends, jammed into the tiny gymnasium where James became famous, honoring him in a way reminiscent of a raucous school assembly.

This year, he went one better, holding the event at much larger Rhodes Arena, where he played most of his home games as a high school junior and senior to accommodate the growing crowds and media.

James, who will be honored officially as MVP by NBA commissioner David Stern before Monday's Game 2 against the Boston Celtics, had a simple answer for why he made it a community event:

"Because I'm just a little kid from Akron.''

If James' desire is indeed to stay with the Cavs (even he might not know for sure), the one thing that could throw a monkey wrench into his plan is a Cavaliers bust in these playoffs. He has always insisted that winning ultimately will determine his destination, so if he brings Cleveland its first major league sports title since 1964, one would think he would re-sign and seek to build a dynasty.

But what if the Cavs, who lead Boston 1-0, bow out early, falling to the Celtics in the second round or to the Orlando Magic again in the conference finals? Would that increase his chances of leaving?

Remember, in leaving Cleveland, James, who has said he wants to become a billionaire, would have to leave roughly $30 million on the table. Visions any fan has of a sign-and-trade to Dallas or wherever are more like delusions because the Cavs aren't likely to aid James in a departure.

That leaves only the following teams with the salary-cap space to sign a player to a max contract: the New York Knicks, the New Jersey Nets, the Chicago Bulls, the Miami Heat, the Washington Wizards and the Los Angeles Clippers. Of those, the Bulls are probably the Cavs' biggest threat, with their young nucleus of Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah.

New York? Forget the urban legend that Nike will pay James more money to play in the Big Apple. His signature is already on his new Nike deal, and several sources tell me there's no clause in it that states he'll get paid more for playing with the Knicks.

The notion that James needs to relocate to a bigger market is also faulty. He's already the clear-cut face of the NBA, with plenty of endorsement contracts, even though he's playing in Cleveland and hasn't won a ring. In this global, Internet age, the size of the local market is virtually irrelevant. And if his social needs need satisfying, James can hop in a private jet and fly anywhere he wants to at a moment's notice, so why not stay in his hotel-sized crib on the outskirts of Akron?

James, who wasn't wooed and recruited by colleges because everyone knew he was NBA-bound, probably will visit several teams come July. Big on drama, he might let the suspense build to a crescendo. But in the end, Cavs fans should let these words from James comfort them.

"The city of Akron means so much to me,'' he said. "Akron, Ohio, is my life. I love this city.''

Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, who sat on stage with James, is convinced, or at the very least, feigning conviction, saying, "I'm sure we'll be here next year with MV3.''

There was no reason Sunday to believe that won't be the case.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
There is no reason Lebron would not sign an extension or declare his intent to stay in Cleveland if his mind was made up. He knows as everyone else knows that Cleveland will offer him the max contract so there is no incentive to leave open the possibility of jumping ship for negotiating purposes. Sure, maybe a year ago it made sense and he enjoyed the hype surrounding the idea of coming to NYC but as of now there is no reason other then he actually may consider leaving.

New New York

Quiet Storm
There is no reason Lebron would not sign an extension or declare his intent to stay in Cleveland if his mind was made up. He knows as everyone else knows that Cleveland will offer him the max contract so there is no incentive to leave open the possibility of jumping ship for negotiating purposes. Sure, maybe a year ago it made sense and he enjoyed the hype surrounding the idea of coming to NYC but as of now there is no reason other then he actually may consider leaving.

YUP!

And I watched the same ceremony and what I thought was interesting was his line "No Matter what Akron will always be home", what would the matter he is talking about! Why not say no matter what I am going to always be a Cav?

I think after just winning The MVP award and in route to a run to The Finals it wouldve been the perfect time to declare he wants to remain a Cav forever. Ask David Lee about being a Knick forever and you know what he would say!

Now I am not saying he is leaving and if he is leaving I am not saying NY is his destination, but dude is waiting to see how far this team will go before deciding.

Like Trillion said....he knows exactly what The Cavs are going to offer, bottom line it is the most a team can offer a player, no doubt about that! So if he wanted he couldve taken that at anytime this season.

As much as he seems irritatted with FA questions he did not hate them enough to dead them by signing an extension w The Cavs

But if The Cavs make it out the East, then there goes our chances at him!

iSaYughh

Starter
Good points and analysis. The Akron will always be home line actually does seem like it gives credencee TO him leaving also!

I really get the sense that if the cavs go donkdown he is 100% leaving; which is awesome but nervewracking since its such a monumental either/or spot.

He loves Akron, but not enough to wait one or two more years championship-less when we will be offering him so much. No team in the league can truly best the assets we will be offering, to say nothing of the superlative $$$$$$ and legacy he will have.

Shaunyboy23

Benchwarmer
Great point. Also Lebron has to see that his team is out of cap space and that they are aging. In other words, their window is extremely small. I personally think this is their last shot at the title before they decline, and im sure he sees that too. Sure they won 60 games... but in the REGULAR SEASON! You dont get a regular season ring,, just a pat on the back and an easy first round matchup. Lebron wants to be dynastic and win multiple champs.. that cant happen in cleveland. I see him in a Knick uniform next year. :crossfingers:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Yeah. The biggest problem with the Cavaliers is that they have no roster flexibility whatsoever. They have like 6 million dollars worth of cap space next year - hardly enough to boost that team that they have. If he goes to New York he pretty much gets to pick another star he wants to play alongside, and then we get the best 1-2 combo in the entire NBA. If he stays in Cleveland he can sit around and see Antawn Jamison's skills deteriorate - take your pick, eh?

Bottom line is there's one thing that you have to notice. He talks almost exclusively about Akron in his interview. He doesn't talk about playing in Cleveland, he doesn't talk about bringing Cleveland its first title in any sport in forty years, he doesn't talk about getting to win a championship with them...he talks about how much he loves AKRON. Akron =/= Cleveland.

smokes

Huge Member
It's pretty obvious the only reason he doesn't sign an extension is because of the attention. It keeps him at the forefront of everyone's mind and brings a looooot of publicity. Whatever he decides to do taking the most time possible to announce it does the most good for his career.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
It's pretty obvious the only reason he doesn't sign an extension is because of the attention. It keeps him at the forefront of everyone's mind and brings a looooot of publicity. Whatever he decides to do taking the most time possible to announce it does the most good for his career.

A year ago, yes. Now, not so much. He could have had Cleveland a buzz with excitement had he announced his attentions, inspiring them for a championship push. The only publicity he will miss out on is the couple of weeks between the playoffs and July 1st. I seriously doubt he cares all that much for that specific publicity after a long season especially if its just to stay...very anti-climatic in my opinion.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
It's all about winning this year and exposure throughout the first two weeks of July. He's milking this goat to the brink of exhaustion.

After numerous teams daoris have been displayed and he's had his crack waxed by every GM, it's straight back to Cleveland. The only remaining interest will be what Donnie offered and in what way James turned him down.

And in all honesty, with our roster, getting turned down by James will be the easy part of the off season.

Red

TYPE-A
1. Big Market Teams with "Stars" win championships in the NBA

2. He's solidified as 1 of the best of his generation. Multiple championships means becoming 1 of the best All-Time

3. We've spent frivilously in the past- so we weren't competitive. Now not only do we make more $ (Cavs actully been losing $ even w/ LBJ) than any one.... we now have Walsh who will spend wisely

4. W/ $ all we need are "Stars" and the formula is near completion. He is BUT, he will be paired w/ another for further assurance. No Team except ones w/ stars (MIA, CHI) can claim that- and our cap will allow a THIRD next season!

5. The pressure of being the "savior" will be reduced here once paired w/ another star. And he won't be the end all of all sports- we have other sucessful teams.

6. The Garden & NYC... If choosen would mean destiny. Cleveland (Ohio), even winning won't compare to the impact of us just competing. He has to know this.

7. We offer the best chance of dynastic type future w/ our GM, future cap relief, and revenue generating. Clevland doesn't. Signing there will trap him and sap the NBA of what's needed. A hated NY dynasty.

8. He's at his prime and before he knows it... he willl fade- all it takes is 1 major injury.

9. Jamison and Shaq + others isn't enough. What he needs (a Pippen like player who can be just as deadly and take the load off) Cleveland can't and won't be able to afford. He has to know this also.

10. There is no need to hesitate for publicity or courting. There is only ONE reason to stall. He realizes his importance to the game and what can be accomplished- NY is a big part of that.

IMO Lebron is as good as gone. He would be selfish to minimze his impact to the game he loves so much by staying, knowing they cannot sustain a dynasty. Kobe is fading. Wade will fade. The Celtics will fade. NY will spend more smartly and you think he will be stuck in Ohio while this happens? Not a chance if he knows what's best. Supporting cast means nothing.

smokes

Huge Member
A year ago, yes. Now, not so much. He could have had Cleveland a buzz with excitement had he announced his attentions, inspiring them for a championship push. The only publicity he will miss out on is the couple of weeks between the playoffs and July 1st. I seriously doubt he cares all that much for that specific publicity after a long season especially if its just to stay...very anti-climatic in my opinion.

You think he doesn't care? It's pretty well publicized he is not exactly modest and when it comes to his ego well... When you can have the entire basketball world hanging on your every word it's not surprising he wants to keep that attention. Every single interview he gives has people asking the same question.

Last night he just restated his comment about "winning a championship in Cleveland" saying that it just meant he was 100% focused on winning this season (aka it doesn't mean he won't leave if they don't win).

I think he's quite happy milking this situation for every minute possible :lol:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
You think he doesn't care? It's pretty well publicized he is not exactly modest and when it comes to his ego well... When you can have the entire basketball world hanging on your every word it's not surprising he wants to keep that attention. Every single interview he gives has people asking the same question.

Last night he just restated his comment about "winning a championship in Cleveland" saying that it just meant he was 100% focused on winning this season (aka it doesn't mean he won't leave if they don't win).

I think he's quite happy milking this situation for every minute possible :lol:

I think if he wanted to milk the publicity he would have announced it at the start of the playoffs. It would have generated a huge buzz, probably would have been the top story and energized his team for a title push. Just speculation of course.

Paul1355

All Star
As Alan Hahn keeps saying...the fact that Lebron has not signed an extension yet with a championship caliber team tells you he is still considering free agency and the Knicks are def at the top of that list.

All about money, not base salary, but extra dough. Guys like Jeter, Kobe, A Rod, Tiger Woods, make more money on advertising than they do winning in their sports.

LBJ would be bigger than all of them combined, how else can you make a billion dollars as LBJ has said he wants to? NYC or LA and LA can't afford him so only place is NYC for the money, if he wants to stay loyal than stay in Cleavland.

smokes

Huge Member
I think if he wanted to milk the publicity he would have announced it at the start of the playoffs. It would have generated a huge buzz, probably would have been the top story and energized his team for a title push. Just speculation of course.

If he wanted to stay sure, but who says he wants to stay? Not me...

smokes

Huge Member
Well that was my point! :teeth:

Ah I guess my first post wasn't worded very well. When I said "the only reason he doesn't sign an extension" wasn't implying that he actually wants to stay, though I can see how it could be read that way.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Here's an article on RealGM that I found this morning...

An interview with LeBron James aired Tuesday on ABC News Nightline. Chris Cuomo asked James how much he thinks about his upcoming free-agency this summer.
"Not as much as everyone else thinks about it or talks about it. I think everyone else knows my future and I have no idea," James said with a laugh.
Cuomo asked James about his statement, during an interview on NBA TV, in which he seemed to say that he would not leave Cleveland until he wins a championship. The story was first reported on RealGM.
James appeared to agree with Cuomo's interpretation that he did not mean to say that he would only leave Cleveland after having won a championship. Instead James' point was simply that he is focused on winning a title this season.
"This is a great city. These fans are unbelievable," James said about Cleveland and Cavs' fans. "They've seen me grow from a young man at age 18 to a grown man now at 25, too. They've given me a lot.
"Right now, being in this position I am today, I'm solely geared on trying to win the NBA championship for this city. And when the future comes and I have to make the decision, I will."