Sergio leaving Knicks to go play in Spain

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
<table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
<table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table>
act_sergio_rodriguez.jpg
(Big C) It looks like fans no longer have to worry anymore about what the Knicks plan on doing with point guard Serigo Rodriguez. According to Encectando.es, Sergio Rodriguez has made up his mind to return to Spain. Supposedly Rodriguez has reached a two year agreement to play for Real Madrid overseas.
With the Knicks wanting to sign two max players, and potentially having to pay two second round draft picks this off-season it is clear that Rodriguez was the odd man out. The writing is on the wall for Sergio that the Knicks are not willing to pay the extra bucks to give him an extension.

Sergio Rodriguez stated before that his first choice would be to remain a Knick or return to playing overseas. However, if the Knicks re-signed Rodriguez they would be spending around 2.8 million when the Knicks already have point guard Toney Douglas under contract.
Besides that it would hurt the Knicks? chances of signing two max players. With Donnie Walsh in charge and sticking to his guns the days of over paying players is coming to an end.
During Sergio Rodriguez?s stay on the Knicks he averaged 4.3 points, and 2.9 assists in 13.2 minutes. He showed some promise by having some good games. However, that was not enough to demonstrate that he can run the show at the starting position.

I know Sergio was not the long term answer at point, but was this really what's best? Who here wanted him back? I would not have minded him back for the qualifying offer.
</td></tr><tr><td valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Yes and no. He was either hot or cold so often and defended well until he had a bigger assignment than himself. That 8 steal night was epic, but defense goes way beyond the passing lane and slick hands.

Considering our focus to improve and rebuild, I don't think he's going to be the one that got away at all. That almost guarantees Fernandez flying the coup as well I think.

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
It's a rumour created by the website encestando.es trying to gain visits. It obviously has worked, as the lie has been linked everywhere.

His agent has refuted it this morning, they say the possibility of the Real Madrid is still there, but the knicks are still his #1 option and he has a lot of time to think his future this summer.

http://www.laopinion.es/deportes/2010/06/01/agente-sergio-desmiente-acuerdo-real-madrid/288399.html

And it's true; its common sense: in his case, not waiting for 1st July to see what happens would be so stupid...there's no need to hurry at all. The spanish league hasn't finished, the NBA hasn't finished...

bayejorl

Benchwarmer
I wonder if he'll sign for the minimum to play with LeBron and co...
I think he'll decide his future on the NBA depending on the role he is given, not the money. Spanish site tubasket.com said a few weeks ago he was offered a 6mill/3 years offer by Walsh (not the minimum but a lower contract than his QO) but it seems he's waiting to see who are the big FA's who come. He doesn't want to stay to be 3rd PG again, as he was in the Kings.

I don't know if the 6mill/3years offer is completely true, but the same website that published it originally made him this interview later, and they talk about that offer, so at least is more trustable than this rumour about Real Madrid, which is 100% false.