New News, Parker Bosh Johnson ? or Parker Bosh Gay. Seems to be the likely roster

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I don't get it. Why would they take Curry for Parker?

Curry's contract and Parker's contract are both expiring. I would think the Spurs could get a lot more for Parker than Curry.

The Spurs don't really have any unwanted long-term contracts that we could take off their hands in return for Parker.

The only way we get Parker is if we sign-and-trade Lee. I suppose we could sign-and-trade Harrington but I doubt it.

So, is Lee worth Parker?

I was tripping... Looked at the Spurs salary sheet and mixed Manu with Parker. It's Manu whose contract goes in to 2013.:smokin:

Man.... Lee for Tony? I'd have to say no for a couple reasons.

In a league stacked with PGs I'd prefer to keep one the NBA's best rebounders/front court passers for sure. Tony's more a scorer than a dimer. Much prefer to have a prototypical PG - pass first etc. And considering we have Douglas (not that he's a prototypical PG), I'd prefer to maintain youth over championship experience and the likelihood of a re-injured Parker.

Bit of (paranoid Knick fan) risk assessment I know. Parker is a finals MVP and an exemplary paint scorer never mind the quickness and the running 1 hander etc. But injuries are worrisome as it gets after a decade of disappointment.

So, Lee + Toney > Tony and no Lee. Which is a massive call, but I see less chance of another big contract burning the team due to unfortunate circumstances.

If Bosh or Stat were in the mix with Parker, then that'd be a different story.

Lee, Parker and Eva's tar tars would be magic. Dream on white boy.

I've checked NY's salary sheet, and Harrington's 2011 column is empty: no qualifiers or team options. So is he eligible for a S&T? SA need a SF, and have Hill on the rise, but that's just poor +/- and the Spurs have always been top of the chain in decision making.

NYKLiFER

Benchwarmer
so you are saying a team with three perrenial all stars,
plus two highly gift role players to fill out the rest of the line up doesnt make the playoffs in the eastern conference.

what the F are you talking about, can please some one chime in and tell me where I can get whatever italian is smoking ?

I don't think you want what he is smoking....it's called Crack

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
While i'm not sure any of the things you said are possible with the cap and things like that. I am intrigured by a core lineup that includes, Parker, Chandler, Gallo, Dirk, and Okafur... Probably not a championship team but an exciting team that could do a few things. Especially with Walker, and TD on the bench. (that core is similar to the magic of last year that had a ton of big guys who could shoot it and spread the floor)

That of course is plan B. Plan A is and needs to be get Lebron by any means necessary.

Yeah, after I posted I looked at the lineups in my post and saw that signing Haywood wouldn't be possible unless it was a sign and trade with the Knicks using Curry. Okafor is possible since New Orleans in looking to dump salary. The Knicks could sign Dirk, Gay and Parker... The only wrinkle would be Minnesota who is hot for gay and might drive up his value; I could see them over paying for him. If not, then He should be around 13/15 but if the Knicks trade for Parker (who's not a max contract) say Lee and you could include or wave Douglas and get an additional 3 mil to play with plus they get 3.27 million added to their cap from trade exceptions from deals they made near the trade deadline; This should allow them to get Parker, sign a max contract and sign a 2 tier player at 13/14 mil starting salary and the should get Gay barring the T'wolves over paying for him. If they do then I can see Johnson coming here to reunite with Dantonni. Let's Hope Miami and another team getting in a bidding war for Bosh and/or Amare. Then let's hope Miami ans Chicago also goes after Boozer and bid that crap out of each other. That would leave us in a bidding war with NJ, Chicago and Minnesota. I believe the Wolves will most likely make a trade with Miami for Beasley and a few other players for basically nothing; they will just absorb the contracts. Also, Gay will most likely turn anything down from Minnesota since no one really wants to play there. Same as the Nets; until they move to NY no one wants to play for them so as I see it, Chicago is really our #1 bidding rival on Gay and/or Joe Johnson. If the Knicks land Parker and Dirk or Bosh; I see either Gay or Johnson wanting to come here. If Gay wants a max salary, then let him go to Chicago or another team; Johnson most likely would be willing to sacrifice a few million to play with these guys but honestly; I would rather have Gay since he is younger with more upside. It is totally doable! Even if they retain Walker they could pull it off. We would have 2 or 3 young un-drafted players riding the bench to fill out the roster though....

moneyg

Starter
im hearing all this trash talk about signing dirk...is anybody aware that he max starting salary will be 35% of the cap.... about 20 mill f0r 2010-11 and 21.5 the following year...we'd only have room for one more max player.. no funds leftover only vet minimums......i like dirk a lot but id rather have 2 max with left over .....than i max and a super max...:smokin:

moneyg

Starter
parker for curry and td yes or chandler..... anyother scenario id rather let curry come off the books and shoot for next year.or wait until trade deadline.. parker is always injured and i do not want to give the spurs david lee to help out duncan.. that would be an big upgrade for the spurs in the front count....:smokin:

dave2138

Rotation player
im hearing all this trash talk about signing dirk...is anybody aware that he max starting salary will be 35% of the cap.... about 20 mill f0r 2010-11 and 21.5 the following year...we'd only have room for one more max player.. no funds leftover only vet minimums......i like dirk a lot but id rather have 2 max with left over .....than i max and a super max...:smokin:

99% Dirk resigns with Dallas anyway. I doubt he ever considered signing anywhere else. He did it purely for financial reasons to opt out before the new contract rules come into place.

dave2138

Rotation player
parker for curry and td yes or chandler..... anyother scenario id rather let curry come off the books and shoot for next year.or wait until trade deadline.. parker is always injured and i do not want to give the spurs david lee to help out duncan.. that would be an big upgrade for the spurs in the front count....:smokin:

lol .. Parker for Curry... nah lets do Curry for Nash/Deron Williams or Chris Paul..

moneyg

Starter
lol .. Parker for Curry... nah lets do Curry for Nash/Deron Williams or Chris Paul..

why not.. the spurs can get a young pg for cheap or an athlectic sf in chandler for cheap since jefferson is slowing down and will cost them like 15 mil next year. :smokin:

dave2138

Rotation player
They aren't getting Chandler for cheap though because to get him they would have to take on Eddy Curry's contract. So its essentially paying 13 mil to get Chandler on their team.

San Antonio is not desperate to get rid of Tony Parker. I think they would only do so if they could get a player that fits in more that they can not sign as a FA because they are over the cap. Lee actually fits that need. From the Knicks perspective though, this is a fall back if they can't sign 2 Max FA.

We are stuck with Curry unless we take on another bad contract. Parker is not a bad contract. On the other thread you posted about the possibility of Nocioni. That's actually not a bad idea. I could see Sacramento doing it. That would give us 5 mil more to spend on FA this season.

moneyg

Starter
looking forward it would be better for san antonio.. the salaries would be a wash this year, but parker will demand more the folowing year than wilson. they would aslo have the bird rights for wilson and can extend him the qual offer and match any offer. tahts why he will be a cheaper option for them in the 2011 season..and goin forward.... the emgernce of george hill makes parker's injury prone self expendable.

dave2138

Rotation player
Don't overrate Wilson Chandler...He's a nice, cheap role player to have...but he's not going to by himself get someone like Parker.

San Antonio will be under the cap after next year anyway, so if they want Chandler they could just sign him when he's a restricted FA. I doubt many teams will be competing to see who can get him anyway.

Why don't you like Parker for Lee? It make a lot of sense for both teams. Actually the Knicks can sign 2 Max FA + Parker if they do that Curry + Chandler for Nocioni trade you mentioned on the other thread.

Parker
Walker
James
Gallinari
Bosh

Douglas
Nocioni
Barron
2 2nd round picks

That comes out to like 59 mil...whats the cap again? Like 56,57 mil? hmm maybe it wouldn't work. I like that team a lot though.

moneyg

Starter
dont get it twisted... i like parker but not at the expense of our cap space. if we did the nocioni trade sacra would have to include another player.. if not that will lose cap space in the trade.. i find it hard to imagine them paying curry+chandler.. (13.5 mil) for only nocioni (about 7 mil) they would want us to take beno or garcias contract which i think is too much of a commitment for beno or garcia....i can only see the lee trade if we got sac to accept it.. which i doubt.. cause then it would be like we are getting parker for about 7 mill with saving from the curry chandler trade... if not, i rather do a sign and trade with toronto for bosh.... if we could not trade curry.. how bout a curry+lee for bosh and hedo.. would you do that????.. i really dont like hedo contract either.... in my opinion.. the best trade would be monat ellis for curry and (td or chandler)....

monat will always have trade value.. and has a resonable contract for what he produces

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

MoneyG, what you are missing is that a contact can be heavily back loaded so that the first year (which is what counts towards the current cap) is lower so it won't be 20+ it would more around 17 that would count against the this years cap; this is how allot of teams end up in cap hell! after a few years all the salaries balloon up and they are whacked against the cap. Some teams have had the forethought to front load it so that when the contract gets towards the end it is actually less money and either easier to move or depending on the other contracts doesn't put the team over the cap.

I agree that Dirk would probably resign with Dallas but I would still talk to him and give him the same treatment you are going to lavish on James when he stops in for his fake meeting (since he IS going to resign with Cleveland).

moneyg

Starter
MoneyG, what you are missing is that a contact can be heavily back loaded so that the first year (which is what counts towards the current cap) is lower so it won't be 20+ it would more around 17 that would count against the this years cap; this is how allot of teams end up in cap hell! after a few years all the salaries balloon up and they are whacked against the cap. Some teams have had the forethought to front load it so that when the contract gets towards the end it is actually less money and either easier to move or depending on the other contracts doesn't put the team over the cap.

I agree that Dirk would probably resign with Dallas but I would still talk to him and give him the same treatment you are going to lavish on James when he stops in for his fake meeting (since he IS going to resign with Cleveland).

true.. but the key is do we want to be paying dirk that much.. he is gonna want a 5 yr 120 mil contract. if we pay him 17 mil in the first year. we will owe him about 103 mil over the next 4. waht are we gonna pay him in 2011.. 20 mill ???wow 83 million owe over 3 years..23 the third year??? 60 mill ove the next two.. do we want to be payin dirk 30 mill for the last two years.... we would be stuck. were as if you used it on more players.. u are way more flexable as far as trades.. a buyout if production fall off.... i say not to dirk unless he will to talk the same max that lebron can get.. i thinks that is all he is worth... not a penny more...

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
Don't overrate Wilson Chandler...He's a nice, cheap role player to have...but he's not going to by himself get someone like Parker.

San Antonio will be under the cap after next year anyway, so if they want Chandler they could just sign him when he's a restricted FA. I doubt many teams will be competing to see who can get him anyway.

Why don't you like Parker for Lee? It make a lot of sense for both teams. Actually the Knicks can sign 2 Max FA + Parker if they do that Curry + Chandler for Nocioni trade you mentioned on the other thread.

Parker
Walker
James
Gallinari
Bosh

Douglas
Nocioni
Barron
2 2nd round picks

That comes out to like 59 mil...whats the cap again? Like 56,57 mil? hmm maybe it wouldn't work. I like that team a lot though.

we need a true CENTER cuz if bosh is playing outta position just like lee did ... he would get abused by ... perkins,howard,bynum, ect but i understand mike antoni loves playing there players outta position

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
true.. but the key is do we want to be paying dirk that much.. he is gonna want a 5 yr 120 mil contract. if we pay him 17 mil in the first year. we will owe him about 103 mil over the next 4. waht are we gonna pay him in 2011.. 20 mill ???wow 83 million owe over 3 years..23 the third year??? 60 mill ove the next two.. do we want to be payin dirk 30 mill for the last two years.... we would be stuck. were as if you used it on more players.. u are way more flexable as far as trades.. a buyout if production fall off.... i say not to dirk unless he will to talk the same max that lebron can get.. i thinks that is all he is worth... not a penny more...

Not sure if Dirk is going to get the same money as LaBron but he is a veteran and he is one of the top 10 players in the NBA today and that is a fact. With a quality 1 (like Parker) and supporting players like Gallinari and Johnson or Gay and if you can get Okafor for Curry's expiring contract; the Knicks could be a top seat in the east for the next 4-5 years. We have seen what Dirk alone can do... and what he can't do... If the Knicks get Dirk and add that second guy that would be needed to bleed off the double and triple teams that he sees... Great things will happen for NY!!

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Not sure if Dirk is going to get the same money as LaBron but he is a veteran and he is one of the top 10 players in the NBA today and that is a fact. With a quality 1 (like Parker) and supporting players like Gallinari and Johnson or Gay and if you can get Okafor for Curry's expiring contract; the Knicks could be a top seat in the east for the next 4-5 years. We have seen what Dirk alone can do... and what he can't do... If the Knicks get Dirk and add that second guy that would be needed to bleed off the double and triple teams that he sees... Great things will happen for NY!!
Did you really spell LeBron as LABron...smh

dave2138

Rotation player
we need a true CENTER cuz if bosh is playing outta position just like lee did ... he would get abused by ... perkins,howard,bynum, ect but i understand mike antoni loves playing there players outta position

Find me an AVAILABLE true center this off season. Don't say Okafor...

dave2138

Rotation player
I should have said find me an available true starting center. All those mentioned are either old, injury prone or unnecessarily hyped. I've said before I wouldn't mind a "true center" for a back up role such as someone like Erick Dampier I would take before most of those you mentioned and who should come pretty cheap.

I'm not all that into signing centers to long commitments just because they fit that true center mold. Some of the worst contracts have been given to 7 footers who have proven nothing, but look like they can fit that true center mold. Curry and Jerome James come immediately to mind. I bet someone will give Amir Johnson 5+ years with 6-8 mil/year based on his little previous success.

We are in agreement though if you say get a cheap, low risk back up center and get someone like Bosh/Lee for the team's starting center.