So why havent we been mentioned in any Collision trades yet!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Ummm....call me insecure because I need to be assured that our GM is pursuing every possible method of upgrading our team and if the shoe fits I'll where it proudly!

But a week has gone by and I have not heard us linked to this rumor!

Lets not even call it a rumor, it is pretty much a given that N.O. is looking to dump a long term deal with the incentive to do so being Darren Collinson.

Now, I have heard to rumors about Indy and Clev. making a play run at this deal. But not us yet

This is such an ideal deal for us, that we need to be all over this. Now as I type this I remember in a recent interview (before this story broke mind you) that Donnie had said he would consider a deal that helped a team that was trying to move contracts off the books to avoid the luxuary tax.

So I suppose he has reached out.....but what needs to be seen is a serious sense of urgency on this!

Here's why

1.Our biggest need without a doubt is PG and as well as Donnie did in getting us under the cap in order to make it possible to go after big name FA's, the fact is that there is no great PG's in this class....especially not young ones making a rookie salary!

2.The above mentioned FA class: Look our current roster is not really all that appealling, bring in a young player like Collision and rebounding shot blocker like Okafor and our team looks much different than the one we ended the season with. It also lets FA's know that the limit to our creativity in becoming a better team is not just clearing cap and crossing our fingers!

A possible roster to sell FA's on

Collison
Lebron or Dwade
Danillo
Bosh/Lee/Amare
Okafor

3.We are going to get hit with almost 500k for every player less than the 12 total required to be kept on our roster at all times. Right now we have Danillo,Wilson,Walker,Douglas and Curry, that leaves our roster short by 7 to the league minimum of 12, so we add our two second rounders that gives us 9, but we still our going to have to tap 1.5 into our cap to pay the penalty. We trade Curry to NO for Okafor and Collinson it would bring us up to 10 and would save a half a million dollars. If the deal goes down we could just buy two more picks to prevent the penalty

note: buying the picks would cost more than the penalty, but would not hurt our cap.

4.Ridding us of Eddy Curry! Look there was setimental value to trading away Jerome James. We got back a player who actually costed us more, but just ridding ouselves of him and not letting him collect every dollar of his bad contract as a Knick really meant a lot to Knick fans...the same could be said for Curry! Just moving him off our team would be like officially undoing Isiah Thomas....but to do it and get back quality players would be a something of a miracle.

To me getting this deal done supercedes even chasing FA's. Look they could all sign somewhere else, the power is simply not in our hands with that, but Donnie has much more control over the trades he makes for players who are being made available. And like I said what better draw than to a Max FA than to have a solid core!

And lets say all the big time FA's stay on thier teams and we did this deal we would have this as our starting 5

Collison
Wilson
Danillo
Lee
Okafor

That is a playoff team in the East, with still a ton of cap for future trades and signings.

Three words....Get-Involved-Donnie!

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
in my point of view donnie gots to make a big time move come DRAFT night , in order to make the roster more appealing to the free agents .... TOTALLY AGRREE WIT U ^ ^ ^

iSaYughh

Starter
I wouldn't worry. Sometimes the best horse breaks late to close out the race (not a trade, but Texiera signing is a pretty good example nonetheless, and there's many more that I'm too tired to recount).

I like a don to bide his time and assemble his pieces on the chessboard before striking.

Also, I'm still not giving out hope on a deal for Biedrins (and Randolph?) (greedily rubbing my mitts together)

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Alex Rodriguez trade too - the Red Sox were considered front-runners for that trade for the longest time...until he ended up in Pinstripes.

dave2138

Rotation player
I don't think its likely that New Orleans will trade Collison to get rid of Okafor. Think about it...if they make this trade, that is telling Chris Paul that the team is in rebuilding mode and giving up on the 2010/2011 season.

Paul is a free agent in 2 years, he'll be counting the days to when he gets to leave if this team is not going to build a reasonable supporting cast around him. Then the team will be left with no point guard.

How about this idea actually...maybe they would trade Collison if they got a useful player back, not Eddy Curry who provides no salary relief for 2010/2011 which is what they care about.

Wilson Chandler for James Posey and Darren Collison.

The Alex Rodriguez trade too - the Red Sox were considered front-runners for that trade for the longest time...until he ended up in Pinstripes.
Word.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm not stressing till opening night cause if LeBron doesn't come, people are gonna find something wrong with what Donnie ends up doing.

Now's the time to relax, rejoice, and enjoy the organization completely washing their hands clean of early 2000s influence.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
And Hedo Turkoglu's signing as well. He was all but inked to the TrailBlazers' roster until...he was a Raptor. Heh.

I'm not sure about NO's intentions. If they dump Okafor's contract for an expiring their payroll is 31 million instead of 43 million for 2011-12, 18 million instead of 31 million for 2011-12, and they'd have no contracts going to 2013.

It's a LOT of money to save. You argue that they won't trade Okafor because they want to stay competitive - but how competitive have they been with Okafor there? I personally think CP3 would be more attracted by a team trying to rebuild by the time he's a free agent than by a team that's hanging onto a bunch of crap.

That'd be like saying LeBron would rather come to the Knicks if we kept Zach Randolph instead of trading him for cap space. Face it, Z-Bo's a good player but he's not championship caliber - same goes for Okafor. LeBron is attracted to the Knicks because we can pair him up with another superstar.

If NO dumps Okafor they have like 26 million in cap room for the summer of 2011 instead of just like 15 million (estimating cap to be around 58 mil by then due to inflation). Dumping Okafor gives them room for a max contract.

Which means - Carmelo Anthony can come on board. If they keep Okafor then there's no room for anybody except overpaying a 2nd tier, but if they dump Okafor they have 26 million dollars in cap space to go after Carmelo Anthony, and then when Posey's contract expires the next year they get another 6 million to play with.

To me, it seems to be a better decision then missing out on the Carmelo sweepstakes.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Word.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm not stressing till opening night cause if LeBron doesn't come, people are gonna find something wrong with what Donnie ends up doing.

Now's the time to relax, rejoice, and enjoy the organization completely washing their hands clean of early 2000s influence.

This can't be stated enough.

Donnie Walsh managed to undo the Isiah era in two years.

We were stuck in Salary Cap Hell until 2012 before Walsh came along and helped us out...and our team actually IMPROVED from the Isiah days (albeit slightly)...

It's very much possible that this off-season, we'll end up with nobody.

But you know what?

At least Walsh made it a REMOTE POSSIBILITY for us to improve in the future.

With Isiah here we would've had NO CAP ROOM WHATSOEVER to sign ANYBODY in 2010 or 2011.

Which means we would've been stuck with the Randolph/Crawford/Jeffries/etc. for another 3 years, getting maybe 24 wins while having the highest payroll in the league.

At least if we suck next year, we're not paying 100 million dollars for it.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I hear you guys loud a clear!

In truth, rumors barely ever come to pass! Especially around Draft time and trade deadlines, a new trade rumor is out every two days or so

But, it is only rumored that Toney Parker is available (a trade will likely not happen), yet we were on it!

Now given the needs of our team (PG and Center) I would think this would have our names all over this one too!

This is just too critical a year for us....but I know it is kinda dumb to get upset about not being mentioned in rumors....because the bottom line is what comes from it.

I mean we are rumored to be a team Lebron is strongly considering, but if nothing comes of it, what difference does it make?

I just like what our team could look like as a result of this move (even without a big name FA), and especially if the only thing it cost us is Eddy Curry!

No doubt if N.O. is considering it, then Donnie and Co. have probably investigated.

I think I just got caught up in reading about how the Cavs and Indy have already made a play at this, but for sure they are not the only ones.

The summer will bring an upgrade to our roster one way or another, so I will just chill at watch it play out!

:gony:

LJ4ptplay

Starter
I don't think its likely that New Orleans will trade Collison to get rid of Okafor. Think about it...if they make this trade, that is telling Chris Paul that the team is in rebuilding mode and giving up on the 2010/2011 season.

Paul is a free agent in 2 years, he'll be counting the days to when he gets to leave if this team is not going to build a reasonable supporting cast around him. Then the team will be left with no point guard.

How about this idea actually...maybe they would trade Collison if they got a useful player back, not Eddy Curry who provides no salary relief for 2010/2011 which is what they care about.

This is a very good point that many do not know. NO wants cap relief for this year. They get salary cap relief next year when Peja comes off the books. Trading for Curry really makes no sense to them.

Why would they trade a functional center (Okafur) for a fat turd that does nothing? And give up a young prospect too? Curry's contract expires after this year, so does Peja Stojakovic's. They need salary cap relief for this year. They are looking for a Eric Dampier type contract.

This trade idea is too good to be true for the Knicks, which means it aint happening.

I could see a Curry for Biedrens+ trade happening, but not much else before free agency begins.

We will most likely hold onto Curry's contract until close to the trade deadline. This is when teams will get desperate (see Golden State and Washington this past season). Curry's contract will be very valuable then and we may be able to get much more in return (good player + draft picks).

New New York

Quiet Storm

Good thinking.....but two things, one is this that great a deal for us? I like getting Collison, but this deal dips 4 million into our cap! Not to mention we are getting back Posey who plays the one postion we need no help at!

Plus would NO really part with Collison just to move Posey?

How bout Curry for Collison,Okafor,and Songalia....this too dips into our cap by 4 million, but we actually fill two needs and get a quality bench guy in Songalia from it

Collison/Douglas
Max FA/Walker
Danillo/Wilson
Max FA/Songalia
Okafor/Max FA center/Barron

And lets face it....even if NO doesnt trade to shed cap, this is going to be a rebuilding year for them, with a new coach and all! So why not save a few million! This deal would save them 7 million and like I said they wouldve finished a lottery team at the end of next year anyways and at least they get a higher pick, plus having about 22 million or so next summer when Curry's contract melts away!

Why do we want beidrins man honestly, for the money he is making I dont want him, I would rather take okafor than him. beidrins kind of annoys me. I dont know what it is, but I just dont see him performing under the hot lights of MSG.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i dont think its so much as Donnie didnt contact N.O cause maybe he did or maybe he didnt, but he tends to keep a low profile on his moves till they're actually about to fall through. and i feel we make a move or two come draft day donnie wont wait till free agency to make a move so Collinson may end up a Knick on draft night :crossfingers:

dave2138

Rotation player
Good thinking.....but two things, one is this that great a deal for us? I like getting Collison, but this deal dips 4 million into our cap! Not to mention we are getting back Posey who plays the one postion we need no help at!

Plus would NO really part with Collison just to move Posey?

How bout Curry for Collison,Okafor,and Songalia....this too dips into our cap by 4 million, but we actually fill two needs and get a quality bench guy in Songalia from it

Collison/Douglas
Max FA/Walker
Danillo/Wilson
Max FA/Songalia
Okafor/Max FA center/Barron

And lets face it....even if NO doesnt trade to shed cap, this is going to be a rebuilding year for them, with a new coach and all! So why not save a few million! This deal would save them 7 million and like I said they wouldve finished a lottery team at the end of next year anyways and at least they get a higher pick, plus having about 22 million or so next summer when Curry's contract melts away!

Good points, I just disagree with the idea that this should be a rebuilding year for New Orleans. When Chris Paul is healthy they have as good a shot as any team in the West after the Lakers. Trading Okafor and not having a logical replacement at center just wastes having Chris Paul on your team.

I get what some people are saying that rebuilding makes their team more attractive because they'll have more cap space to sign pending FA, similar to what the Knicks did with Randolph/Crawford. However, they already have their star player...now they just have to continue to build around him. Having another sub .500 year won't motivate Paul into resigning with the team regardless of the added cap room. They have to do something with that cap room first.

I mean ill be as happy as anyone else if the Knicks got Okafor + Collison for Curry, I just can't agree that New Orleans would actually consider it and would like to hear what some people would do for the center position if and when Emeka Okafor is not traded.

That's the real reason I keep bringing this up and questioning everybody that mentions the name Okafor. What do you do if it doesn't happen? Everyone says they want a true center and Okafor fits perfectly because doesn't affect the 2010 payroll. What if that doesn't happen though. Are people ok with having a Lee or Bosh at center? Are people ok with overpaying 30 year old Brendan Haywood to be the center? I'm not sure myself whats the best route to go..

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Why do we want beidrins man honestly, for the money he is making I dont want him, I would rather take okafor than him. beidrins kind of annoys me. I dont know what it is, but I just dont see him performing under the hot lights of MSG.

Okafor makes more. The thing that makes Okafor's contract attractive is the possibility that they'll throw in Darren Collison.

My take on it is that if they dump Okafor, they have a shot at the Carmelo sweepstakes.

Paul1355

All Star
Ummm....call me insecure because I need to be assured that our GM is pursuing every possible method of upgrading our team and if the shoe fits I'll where it proudly!

But a week has gone by and I have not heard us linked to this rumor!

Lets not even call it a rumor, it is pretty much a given that N.O. is looking to dump a long term deal with the incentive to do so being Darren Collinson.

Now, I have heard to rumors about Indy and Clev. making a play run at this deal. But not us yet

This is such an ideal deal for us, that we need to be all over this. Now as I type this I remember in a recent interview (before this story broke mind you) that Donnie had said he would consider a deal that helped a team that was trying to move contracts off the books to avoid the luxuary tax.

So I suppose he has reached out.....but what needs to be seen is a serious sense of urgency on this!

Here's why

1.Our biggest need without a doubt is PG and as well as Donnie did in getting us under the cap in order to make it possible to go after big name FA's, the fact is that there is no great PG's in this class....especially not young ones making a rookie salary!

2.The above mentioned FA class: Look our current roster is not really all that appealling, bring in a young player like Collision and rebounding shot blocker like Okafor and our team looks much different than the one we ended the season with. It also lets FA's know that the limit to our creativity in becoming a better team is not just clearing cap and crossing our fingers!

A possible roster to sell FA's on

Collison
Lebron or Dwade
Danillo
Bosh/Lee/Amare
Okafor

3.We are going to get hit with almost 500k for every player less than the 12 total required to be kept on our roster at all times. Right now we have Danillo,Wilson,Walker,Douglas and Curry, that leaves our roster short by 7 to the league minimum of 12, so we add our two second rounders that gives us 9, but we still our going to have to tap 1.5 into our cap to pay the penalty. We trade Curry to NO for Okafor and Collinson it would bring us up to 10 and would save a half a million dollars. If the deal goes down we could just buy two more picks to prevent the penalty

note: buying the picks would cost more than the penalty, but would not hurt our cap.

4.Ridding us of Eddy Curry! Look there was setimental value to trading away Jerome James. We got back a player who actually costed us more, but just ridding ouselves of him and not letting him collect every dollar of his bad contract as a Knick really meant a lot to Knick fans...the same could be said for Curry! Just moving him off our team would be like officially undoing Isiah Thomas....but to do it and get back quality players would be a something of a miracle.

To me getting this deal done supercedes even chasing FA's. Look they could all sign somewhere else, the power is simply not in our hands with that, but Donnie has much more control over the trades he makes for players who are being made available. And like I said what better draw than to a Max FA than to have a solid core!

And lets say all the big time FA's stay on thier teams and we did this deal we would have this as our starting 5

Collison
Wilson
Danillo
Lee
Okafor

That is a playoff team in the East, with still a ton of cap for future trades and signings.

Three words....Get-Involved-Donnie!
Don't you realized that Donnie is always involved, we just don't find out until the last minute.

Donnie works behind the shadows but does it effectively.

Who knew we were getting Sergio Rodriquez in the T Mac deal? And who thought trading Jared Jeffries, Zach Randolph, and Crawford were possible?

Donnie is the man, Mike D is not doing his job.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Donnie is really good at keeping things hush hush.

For example...I didn't hear any rumor of a trade for Randolph and Crawford until the day it was made. I knew Walsh was trying to trade them for cap room, but I didn't know for WHOM he was doing it...until the day it happened.