Many believe D'Antoni's system made for LeBron (Hahn)

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer
Two years ago, somewhere in Beijing and far from the reach of David Stern and his strict NBA rules regarding tampering, LeBron James and Mike D'Antoni engaged in a philosophical question about offensive systems. James, a voracious learner when it comes to basketball, wanted to know the principles behind the famous Seven Seconds or Less system.

D'Antoni, an assistant coach for USA Basketball who had just been hired by the Knicks, was more than happy to explain it. Sure, the U.S. team would employ many of the facets of the system en route to the gold medal in those Olympics, so it was important for James, like the rest of the team, to understand the system. But D'Antoni had to relish the opportunity to begin his recruiting pitch for the 2010 free-agency season.

And aside from being greeted on the tarmac by Chris Rock and joined by Donald Trump in the stretch limo to the Garden come July 1, the thing James has to find most intriguing about the Knicks is the potential of what he could do in this system. Most believe it could permit James to become the second player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season. Oscar Robertson did it in 1961-62.

"I think he could easily average a triple-double in that system," one Western Conference scout said, on condition of anonymity because he was talking about a player currently under contract to another team. "But it also depends on who he has around him."

James, despite his career average of 27.8 points, is nothing like fellow stars Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade, who are more comfortable as high-volume shooters and scorers. James, 25, has had to be a primary shooter for the Cavaliers, but he thrives more by moving the ball and using his teammates as outlets. Given his uncanny court vision and ability to throw precise passes, in the right system, with the right supporting cast, he could improve upon his career average of 7.0 assists.

"If you get one more shooter around him, like a [Danilo] Gallinari and Kyle Korver, he will average 11 assists," said a current NBA player who has played for D'Antoni.

Despite a powerful 6-8, 250-pound body, James has never averaged double figures in rebounds for a season. His career average is 7.0. But in D'Antoni's system, with more cumulative shots per game, there are more rebound opportunities.

"His numbers will be inflated playing for Mike because they shoot quick and they don't grind it out defensively," one Eastern Conference assistant coach said. "As long as they put shooting around him, he will do great as the primary player in Mike's system.

And that should be the main event in the Knicks' recruiting pitch. James' frustration with former coach Mike Brown was evident to anyone near a Cavaliers huddle during the last two seasons. The bottom line is, the Cavs had a two-time MVP and the most dynamic offensive talent in the game on their team, yet their offense all too often was unimaginative and predictable.

D'Antoni may be criticized for his defensive approach, but "unimaginative and predictable" can never be said about his offense.

"Having spent time with him at the Olympics, his offensive mind-set is unbelievable," free agent-to-be Carlos Boozer said earlier this season. "He has some of the best plays I've ever been around, and [they come] on a whim . . . He has plans in the back of his head that he comes up with at a moment."

And D'Antoni has had James, and exactly how he'd fit in his system, in the back of his mind for two years. He's told confidants that he believes James could thrive as the primary ballhandler in his system, a sort of big point guar

"I don't believe he could play point every night because it would eventually wear on him," the scout said. "He needs to be off the ball some in order to score the way he's capable of scoring."

The NBA player said D'Antoni certainly would do that. "Mike is great at adapting his system to a player," he said. "He would move LeBron around over the course of a game. As a ballhandler, he would space the floor with shooters and let him work off pick-and-rolls. He would also put him on the baseline and let him get isolations closer to the basket.

"The biggest thing is, LeBron wouldn't have to work as hard for his points."

That is important, too, considering how the Boston Celtics' defense managed to frustrate James in the second round of the playoffs and make Bryant work through a seven-game NBA Finals. Bryant eventually had to rely on his supporting cast - and the ability of the Lakers' offense to find the open man - to win the championship.

That's something both D'Antoni and James have yet to do. Perhaps the coach needs the perfect player for his system and the player needs the perfect system for his game.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...e-d-antoni-s-system-made-for-lebron-1.2037320

knicksin60

Starter
I know this question might have been asked before but, how do you get to read articles written by Alan Hahn? Every time I've tried to enter his blog Newsday tried to get me to subscribe to them.I think it's unfair for people to be charged just to have the access of reading someone else's opinion.

CoolClyde

lame james dolan

I know this question might have been asked before but, how do you get to read articles written by Alan Hahn? Every time I've tried to enter his blog Newsday tried to get me to subscribe to them.I think it's unfair for people to be charged just to have the access of reading someone else's opinion.

:agreed: it's totally f*cked up. Especially since Newsday is owned by Cablevision/MSG/Jimmy Dolan. you'd think KO.com members would get free access, just for supporting his team!

more info below, and more reasons to hate lame James Dolan.

On Feburary 9, 2010 Cablevision spun off its subsidiary Madison Square Garden, L.P. into a new company named Madison Square Garden, Inc.. Although a separate company, James Dolan is the chairman and remains an important figure in both companies. The company has three division consisting of professional sports teams, two regional sports networks, and several entertainment venues.

MSG Inc. controls the Madison Square Garden arena in New York City, and the professional sports teams that play there?the New York Knicks, New York Rangers, and New York Liberty...

After Three Months, Only 35 Subscriptions for Newsday's Web Site
By John Koblin January 26, 2010

In late October, Newsday, the Long Island daily that the Dolans bought for $650 million, put its web site, newsday.com, behind a pay wall. The paper was one of the first non-business newspapers to take the plunge by putting up a pay wall, so in media circles it has been followed with interest. Could its fate be a sign of what others, including The New York Times, might expect?

So, three months later, how many people have signed up to pay $5 a week, or $260 a year, to get unfettered access to newsday.com?

The answer: 35 people. As in fewer than three dozen. As in a decent-sized elementary-school class.

That astoundingly low figure was revealed in a newsroom-wide meeting last week by publisher Terry Jimenez when a reporter asked how many people had signed up for the site. Mr. Jimenez didn't know the number off the top of his head, so he asked a deputy sitting near him. He replied 35.

Michael Amon, a social services reporter, asked for clarification.

"I heard you say 35 people," he said, from Newsday's auditorium in Melville. "Is that number correct?"

Mr. Jimenez nodded.

Hellville, indeed.

The web site redesign and relaunch cost the Dolans $4 million, according to Mr. Jimenez. With those 35 people, they've grossed about $9,000.

In that time, without question, web traffic has begun to plummet, and, certainly, advertising will follow as well.

Of course, there are a few caveats. Anyone who has a newspaper subscription is allowed free access; anyone who has Optimum Cable, which is owned by the Dolans and Cablevision, also gets it free. Newsday representatives claim that 75 percent of Long Island either has a subscription or Optimum Cable.

"We're the freebie newsletter that comes with your HBO," sniffed one Newsday reporter.

Mr. Jimenez was in no mood to apologize. "That's 35 more than I would have thought it would have been," said Mr. Jimenez to the assembled staff, according to five interviews with Newsday staffers.

"Given the number of households in our market that have access to Newsday's Web site as a result of other subscriptions, it is no surprise that a relatively modest number have chosen the pay option," said a Cablevision spokeswoman.

Nevertheless, traffic has fallen. In December, the web site had 1.5 million unique visits, a drop from 2.2 million in October, according to Nielsen Media Online.

In the short time that the Dolans have owned Newsday, it's been a circus. When they were closing the deal to buy the paper in May 2008, they had their personal spokesman scream at an editor who assigned a reporter to visit the Dolans, seeking comment; there was a moment back in January of last year, when Newsday editor John Mancini walked out of the newsroom because of a dispute over how the paper was handling the Knicks; in the summer, the paper refused to run ads by Verizon, a rival; Tim Knight, the paper's publisher, and John Mancini, the editor, eventually both left.

The paper, which traditionally has been a powerful money maker, lost $7 million in the first three quarters of last year, according to Mr. Jimenez at last week's meeting.

In October, the web site relaunched and was redesigned. One of the principals behind the redesign is Mr. Mancini's replacement, editor Debby Krenek.

To say the least, the project has not been a newsroom favorite. "The view of the newsroom is the web site sucks," said one staffer.

"It's an abomination," said another.

And now the paper is in the middle of a labor dispute in which it wants to extract a 10 percent pay cut from all employees. The cut was turned down by a lopsided vote of 473 to 10, this past Sunday.

Things are bleak in old Hellville, the pet nickname some reporters have established for life on Long Island.

"In the meeting with Terry, half the questions weren't about labor issues, but about why isn't this feature in the paper anymore?" said one reporter. "People are still mad about losing our national correspondents, our foreign bureaus and the prestige of working for a great newspaper. The last thing we had was a living wage, being one of the few papers where you're paid well. And to have that last thing yanked from you? It's made people so mad."

Kiyaman

Legend

This article was not worth printing, reading, or making a thread of. WHY?

Lebron wants offense/defense teammates and coaching-staff.
If Walsh wouldve went all out and hired Tom Thib......this article would be ledgit.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

If Walsh wouldve went all out and hired Tom Thib......this article would be ledgit.

How could an article about D'ant's system being ideal for Lebron be legit if we hired Thibedau? I'll save you the time...it wouldn't. It's so clear you take every issue and spin it into a rant on D'ant. Give it up dude. :barf:

KNICKMATIC809

Benchwarmer

damn was ur thing with mike ... ?

knicksin60

Starter
Great article, CoolClyde! If only people would have done the same thing when it came to Knick games, by not attending them throughout the last 10 years, then they could have gotten Dolan to lose millions of dollars in the proccess.I really don't blame the media for hating on him.He and guys like Donald Sterling have no business being owners of professional sports teams.If it wasn't for him inheriting his father's fortune he'd probably be somewhere flipping burgers right now.I really hope that he either gets thrown into prison like Bernie Madoff was or he suffers the same fate that the people who were in charge of AIG suffered.It's funny how the guy is a billionaire but has difficulty trying to keep himself in good physical shape.

knicksin60

Starter

Damphony approved!

Kiyaman

Legend
How could an article about D'ant's system being ideal for Lebron be legit if we hired Thibedau? I'll save you the time...it wouldn't. It's so clear you take every issue and spin it into a rant on D'ant. Give it up dude. :barf:

u are becoming sickening or just .................
Will someone explain the differ air level in Phoenix to this troll
and why Phoenix has a history of being a running uptempo team.

That system belongs to "Steve Nash", no other PG in the NBA will be able to duplicate it better than Nash.

Back in the daze the Phoenix Suns PG-Keven Johnson & SG-Hornachek had the fastest uptempo system in the league. They even beat the Lakers Magic Johnson in a playoff series.

The Phoenix Suns Ainge, Marlje, and Barkley, ran the uptempo Princeston-offense with perfection to make the playoffs every season.

The Phoenix Suns PG-Jason Kidd & SF-Matrix had an uptempo scheme that ran ran ran oponents tired by the 3rd quarter.

Euro-League coach Dantoni is the first headcoach to try to make a name for himself off of the Phoenix Suns run run run traditional history of basketball.
That is why he is a Celebrity Coach.

knicksin60

Starter
Have you ever mentioned that if Lebron or any superstar comes to NY he could easily ask for the removal of D'antoni as the result of not being satisfied with his coaching style?

Kiyaman

Legend
Great article, CoolClyde! If only people would have done the same thing when it came to Knick games, by not attending them throughout the last 10 years, then they could have gotten Dolan to lose millions of dollars in the proccess.I really don't blame the media for hating on him.He and guys like Donald Sterling have no business being owners of professional sports teams.If it wasn't for him inheriting his father's fortune he'd probably be somewhere flipping burgers right now.I really hope that he either gets thrown into prison like Bernie Madoff was or he suffers the same fate that the people who were in charge of AIG suffered.It's funny how the guy is a billionaire but has difficulty trying to keep himself in good physical shape.

Aight.... that part of the article, I have to agree with.
However, in other forums the Dolan part is cut out of the "Lebron fit well in Dantoni system" thread.
Some folks think its a conspiracy when u mention "Dolan" played a big role in something that happen with Newsday, Radio City, Knicks, Rangers, or Cablevision.

Kiyaman

Legend
Have you ever mentioned that if Lebron or any superstar comes to NY he could easily ask for the removal of D'antoni as the result of not being satisfied with his coaching style?

I guess thats directed to Kiya

What I mention the first week the Knicks hired Dantoni, if we are going after a super-star, or all-star they will have "no-defense" Celebrity coach Dantoni fired.

Shaq $20M per contract showed up in Miami, year later coach Stan Van Gundy was Fired. Samething happen when Shaq showed up in Phoenix, and now Cleveland.
But u wont read Kiya mentioning Shaq or the next player getting a coach Fired.

The Cavs Fired President Ferry and coach Mike Brown. Why?
The Bulls Fired coach Del Negro. Why?

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
u are becoming sickening or just .................
Will someone explain the differ air level in Phoenix to this troll
and why Phoenix has a history of being a running uptempo team.

That system belongs to "Steve Nash", no other PG in the NBA will be able to duplicate it better than Nash.

Back in the daze the Phoenix Suns PG-Keven Johnson & SG-Hornachek had the fastest uptempo system in the league. They even beat the Lakers Magic Johnson in a playoff series.

The Phoenix Suns Ainge, Marlje, and Barkley, ran the uptempo Princeston-offense with perfection to make the playoffs every season.

The Phoenix Suns PG-Jason Kidd & SF-Matrix had an uptempo scheme that ran ran ran oponents tired by the 3rd quarter.

Euro-League coach Dantoni is the first headcoach to try to make a name for himself off of the Phoenix Suns run run run traditional history of basketball.
That is why he is a Celebrity Coach.

Okay, I'm a troll and you are a repetitive crybaby whiner who makes shit up in your own head just to try and pass it off here as fact. You make up conspiracy theories without a shred of proof and turn every topic into a rant on D'ant. GTFO and cry some more about a coach who isn't going anywhere. :boohoo: