Either LBJ is toying with the Nets or they are blowing smoke

flknickfan

Benchwarmer
Apparently LBJ said to them yesterday that "be prepared to have two max slots" which tells you that he is seriously looking at Heat, Bulls, Knicks, Cle

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2010/07/02/2010-07-02_nets_run_full_court_press.html

Here is where I am coming from with the toying and/or smoke. The Nets can get free for 2 max if they clear another $3 mill which they can do, but here is their problem when you look at their roster.

C-Lopez
PF-Favors
PG-Harris

Now what's left for Max (leaving out LBJ):

1. Joe Johnson SG - borderline MERC who will sign for $119 and has expressed zero interest in NJ. The NETS would be utterly stupid to sign or trade for him.

2. D-Wade: If there was a list for wade it would be 1. Heat 2 (distant). Bulls, 3(further distant). Knicks. He met with them yesterday and said impressed; yes all presentations will impress you they are salesmen.

Now for the REAL meat

3. Bosh - True MERC who has to come to your team for a S&T. Now whatever NJ was selling team wise to LBJ will have to go in this S&T thus negating what they said. Toronto will ask for Lopez and then ask for Favors and Harris. Hate to say this NJ fans; Lee for Bosh is better than anything you offer outside of Lopez WHOM YOU CANNOT TRADE.

4. STAT - IF THE KNICKS OR HEAT get a commit from him, that seriously hurts NJ's chances of signing LeBron. They would now have to convince Toronto to take just Favors & a pick, good luck with that.

One last thing Knicks and Nets both did something stupid yesterday.

Nets - Don't sell global brand! The NBA is already Global and so is LBJ

Knicks - Don't oversell NY! Remember that Brooklyn is getting a team too.

knicksin60

Starter
What I don't understand is how for years the Nets were a team that few players desired to play for and now people consider them a more attractive team for NBA superstars than the Knicks.Guys like Devean George and Tracy Mcgrady refused to be traded to them, but people think that Lebron James all of sudden wants to play the rest of his career for them? That absolutely makes no sense at all, I don't care who owns them.

flknickfan

Benchwarmer
What I don't get is how for years the Nets were a team that nobody wanted to play for and now people consider them a more attractive team for NBA superstars than the Knicks.Guys like Devean George and Tracy Mcgrady refused to be traded to them but people think that Lebron James all of sudden wants to play the rest of his career for them? That absolutely makes no sense at all, I don't care who owns them.

Its all because of the Russian & Jay-Z who I think is getting way too much face time for a guy who owns 1.47% of a team.

Some of it has to do with Brooklyn as well

knicksin60

Starter
Its all because of the Russian & Jay-Z who I think is getting way too much face time for a guy who owns 1.47% of a team.

Some of it has to do with Brooklyn as well

So you think Lebron James will want to play at least 6 seasons for the Los Angeles Clippers of the East because his favorite rapper owns them?

Smooth21

Rookie
The Nets' second max would be Amare or Bosh. Favors is going to be a bust IMO but is a valuable piece to a trade to Toronto. Even if Favors stays in NJ, he's not going to be ready to contribute for a few years. Coming off the bench and playing behind two All-Star big men would probably help his development over the next 2-3 years.

Anyway...

Lopez
Amare
LeBron
C. Lee
Harris

That team wins a title, probably next year.

I think LBJ signs a 3-year deal to stay in Cleveland though.

mafra

Legend
LEBRON wont play for a corrupt communist with unethical biz dealings in Africa. It might enhance his image in the far east, but would spoil it here in the good old USA.

(TOO bad Dolan wouldn't sell the Knicks to this guy though. He wanted to buy the Knicks.... Even he would be better than that sour-puss Dolan)

Forget the Nyets. Nobody wants to play for Avery Johnson over Mike D'antoni. Trust me. He was a tyrant in DAL. Harris already voiced his displeasure being reunited with his old coach.

Lopez won 12 games in the Eastern conference. A "dominating" young center should be able to accomplish more than that.

After playing in CLE for 7 years, the last thing LJ wants is to sludge around in an unimaginative offense again. He wants to be in an innovative system.

He also wants to play in Manhattan, not Newark. The only way he goes to NJ is if he resigns in CLE for 3 years, and waits to see if they go to Brooklyn.

People forget, DREAM TEAM can be put together in NYC and play in MSG. Lebron will go to CLE or NY.

Bosh is heading to MIA. I don't think BOSH-WADE can sway LJ. I think LJ's mom wants to relocate to NYC. I think his buddies want him to stay in CLE. I think LJ is going back and forth, wants to come to NY but there's too much uncertainty. I think he wants to play for D'ant but is worried about Dolan.

I think he knows he can get a PF (Amar'e or Lee), plsu another asset, and will get help via midseason trade or free agent next Summer.

I think Lebron is worried about the media invading his personal space (mainly that of his family and inner circle), but he's picking up the phone and calling his pal CC Sabathia. CC will sing NY's praises. Arod will explain you can endure it. I think he even reaches out and gets assurances that there will be certain things off-limits.

Eventually that itch is too great. He calls Walsh Sunday night and gives him the green light. The pull of NYC for this NY-o-phile is too great.

I think Knicks get Amar'e & Lebron. They get either Morrow or Thomas.

They still have Curry and Chandler as trade bait, or they wait for Parker or Melo next Summer.

Perhaps Shaq even joins on or.... we swign a deal for Al Jefferson and Rubio, using Lee and Chandler.

Smooth21

Rookie
I think some people need a reality check, we've been the Clippers of the East for the last decade - not the Nets.

knicksin60

Starter
I think some people need a reality check, we've been the Clippers of the East for the last decade - not the Nets.

In terms of overall history the Nets have played second fiddle to the Knicks just like the Clippers have played second fiddle to the Lakers.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Lbj would be a dumb ass to sign with the nets. They are going to play in a dump of a place in Newark and in two years move to Bk. None of those places is manhattan - the place for the rich n famous.

Even when the nets had Kidd Rj and kmart and made it to finals - they were still second fiddle to Knicks. No wAy in hell they are going to take market from the Knicks.

soxxx

Rookie
I'm not trying to sound like the pessimist but I grew up during the 2000's and I always viewed the Nets as a larger figure than the Knicks. Obviously because the Nets had success over the last decade and the Knicks did nothing. I also must add i've seen a lot more Nets fans than Knicks in my days. So the Nets suddenly emerging as a possible front runner isn't suprising me. In my view they are bigger than the Knicks. If you grew up during the 90's then you probably view the Knicks as the bigger team.

And if he is going to go to the Nets then so be it. I'd much rather have him play their than in Chicago.

Last edited: