Knicks meet Amare, important info

Paul1355

All Star
Updated: July 4, 2010, 1:40 PM ET
Sources: Stoudemire, D'Antoni meet

<script type="text/javascript"> jQuery.getScriptCache('http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/c/?js=espn.tools.r3.js', function() { espn.core.init.tools('5353932','http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5353932'); }); </script> <cite class="source"> By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive </cite>
<!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->Amare Stoudemire and Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni had breakfast together Sunday morning in New York City, according to league sources.
The purpose of the sitdown was to clear the air about any old grievances that may have existed between the two when they were with Phoenix in the mid-2000s, according to sources.
nba_g_stoudemire_sy_200.jpg
<cite>Rocky Widner/NBAE/Getty Images</cite>Amare Stoudemire and Mike D'Antoni had their share of issues in Phoenix, but they could be reunited in New York.

While helping the Suns become one of the league's best and most exciting teams, D'Antoni and Stoudemire clashed hard and often, leading several executives around the NBA to insist the two would never consider working together again.
On Sunday, D'Antoni wanted to assure Stoudemire that he believes he is a terrific player and that he's 100 percent behind the Knicks' push to bring him to New York, sources said.
Stoudemire has told those close to him that much of the tension between the two was his fault, citing his youth and immaturity when he entered the league fresh out of high school. Stoudemire has said he's matured to the point that he now realizes D'Antoni was only trying to make him a better player, according to sources.
While the Knicks have not presented Stoudemire with a formal offer, they have discussed and pitched a five-year, $100 million deal, the maximum allowable under the league's collective bargaining agreement, according to sources.
After meeting with the Knicks Sunday and Monday, Stoudemire has visits scheduled with Chicago and New Jersey. The Knicks, however, are at the top of his list, according to sources.
The Knicks' plan is to get another top-flight free agent to play alongside Stoudemire, and the All-Star forward is all aboard for that plan. He's already tried to recruit LeBron James and Joe Johnson to join him in New York, though both players appear more likely to sign elsewhere.
<!-- INLINE MODULE -->
Knicks blog

nyk.gif
Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --> But there is no shortage of players willing to team up with him in the Big Apple. Sources said that after Stoudemire arrived in New York on Saturday, he received calls from San Antonio's Tony Parker and Denver's Carmelo Anthony, saying they'd strongly consider joining him if he signs.
"I've talked to Carmelo Anthony that he needs to come out here," Stoudemire said on Saturday. "I've talked to Tony Parker. Both guys are ready to join me if I decide to come here. So we will see if we can work it out."
Parker and Anthony would not become free agents until next year. The Nuggets have offered Anthony a $65 million extension to remain in Denver through 2015.
Parker would have to get to New York via sign-and-trade and Anthony could sign as a free agent next offseason, provided he doesn't sign an extension with the Nuggets this summer and that the Knicks clear enough salary cap room.
Even if he can't get another free agent to play with him in New York this season, sources say Stoudemire is still willing to join the Knicks.
Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

So after reading an article by Chris Broussard, who has been a Knick basher during this offseason and has taken the Knicks out of any chance of getting james, reading an article on the Knicks from him seems to me...very interesting and truthful.

If all of this is true, Amare will def sign a 5 year 100 million dollar deal, end any tension between him and Mike D, we get a matured Amare.

The striking thing to me is how open Amare is about telling people that he wants others to come to NY. Amare has recruited more people to NY than Wade has to Miami. If the sources are true, which we all have to speculate, then Tony Parker and Carmelo can possibly be Knicks this year or next year.

We would have to give up ALOT for Parker...probably Eddy Curry, Chandler and Toney Douglas and a draft pick.

parker, according to sources has admitted he wants to stay with the Spurs but if he will go anywhere he will go to NY, his wife Eva Longoria has gone to almost every Spurs Knicks game at the garden.

Carmelo will prob be a free agent unless the Nuggets sign a big name or make a big trade, which is doubtful.
Carmelo was born in NY and is a favorite to come to the Knicks. Having Amare on the team already, with the olympics assistant coach in Mike D is a huge head start to getting Carmelo. We need to clear more cap space next year, however.

It is worth it.

Thoughts?

LeFlume

All Star
'Melo would be perfect for Mike D'Antoni. He can do it all. Play inside, play outside. The perfect triple threat man. Parker with his speed is just what D'Antoni is looking for in a PG. A quick guy that can dish the rock in traffic. Amare-Parker-Melo. an awesome trio..

yanks26ngoin

Benchwarmer
I'd take them Melo, Parker and Amare any day with or without LeBron. But the only way to get Melo and Parker for this season is via trade and we probably dont have the pieces to get 1 of them, let alone both.

Alej_Correa

Benchwarmer
i think we have enough peaces to get one of them..lee, curry's contract, chandler for melo
mmm do you guys think that would be enough?...we would prob. have to throw gallo into the trade too......

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think Parker for Lee is a realistic trade in regard to numbers and savings for SA. Although recently the Spurs have been squashing anything to do with the rumours.

After Richard Jefferson opted out of his contract, it became a lot less likely.

Mike D and Popovich have been less than impressed with each other in the past as well.

All I know is that:

1 Parker
2 Walker
3 Gallo
4 Stat
5 Barron? Jordan? Whatever

Is a huge improvement on last year. Probably not as good from 3 as Mike would like though. Amar'e wouldn't rebound as many misses as Lee would either.