Why did we offer Amare $100M for 5 years

JujuXG

Benchwarmer
as much as i like lee
Amare make some senses, reason:
1-He will fit right in since he was playing under the same system in the sun.
2-He can attract other player (the rumor with parker and melo), and with our
current roster, we don't really look attractive to other fa with our current roster.
3-We want to make a splash, by saying we are doing something.

sry about my grammer :boohoo:

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
So we overpaid for Amar'e?

It's better than some of the other contracts out there.

I mean hell even this off-season I'd argue the Joe Johnson signing was WORSE than the Amar'e signing

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
So we overpayed 2 million dollars per year for a perennial all-star, even more so in the east than in the west. Not a big deal.
Not to mention New York's high taxes made it so we HAD to offer him that kind of money for the amount of money we offered to be more than Phoenix's original 95 million dollar offer for 5 years.

This looks oddly familiar...Once the ENTIRE community of posters goes against Kiya's stance, he immediately goes into hiding and awaits the next opportunity to blurt about D'Antoni and get raped by the entire KO community. Thank you Kiya, thank you.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I'm never going to question Kiyaman's love for the Knicks but this just doesn't make sense.

Think about it - a Boozer/Lee front court? And saying because Boozer/Millsap worked, Boozer/Lee will somehow work? Ignoring the fact that the Jazz got as far as they did because they had the best PG in the game running their offense? Let alone the fact that Millsap came OFF THE BENCH! If you want to sign Lee to a 12 million deal to come off the bench to play with Boozer then you're worse than Isiah and Layden combined, I don't care how much you love the Knicks.

The Joe Johnson deal is worse BY FAR considering that hes getting 20 million more over 1 more year when he is already two years older than Amare. Plus I would say that a Big who can get you 20 per game is much more of a rare commodity than a SG who can get 20 per game.

HoLLaBaCK

Rookie
Would I rather have Bosh...of course. However something has to be said about this dude WANTING to play for us. He's not reviewing his options, this is option #1 for him. Does it help get LB IM not sure, I just dont see how it can hurt.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Amare is not worth 20 million a year, i like what he does on offense but hes soft on the boards and soft on defense. The way Amare finished up the regular season makes me think hes a better all around player then bosh.

We should sign tyrus thomas and kurt thomas...two players we can play at center in Antoni's offense. Other then them, i dont know what options we have for center. The two of them would give us versatility because they're both good defenders, but in different ways. One of them defends with athleticism and length, the other one is just a smart defensive player and because of his iq on the defensive end, he is still a good player at 37 years old. He does a good job of bodying up his opponents in the low post and always gettin a hand in their face.

Tyson Chandler is too injury prone, is there still a chance of gettin okafor and collison from NO?

It was option #1 for him because he knew he could fool the Knicks into an enormous contract. The Knicks are desperate for anyone and he was keenly aware that he could take advantage of that.

Jimmy Dolan destroyed this franchise and it may take decades to recover. Amare will be a good player, but we're looking at 50 losses again. No one wants to play here and that ain't changing anytime soon. People can read right through Dolan. I mean, can you imagine Lebron being sold by that tool?

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
I remember seeing a few weeks back when people were talking about possibly trading Curry's contract for Gilbert Arenas, and some people were mentioning the fact that they couldn't believe that Arenas was making so much money, and some people were also amazed at the price that Marburys contract was worth his last couple of years with the Knicks... Contracts that some people call toxic... well I will go out on a limb(being sarcastic because i dont think its going out on a limb at all) that in a couple of years, UNLESS WADE, JAMES, OR MELO Join the KNicks, that people will be saying the same thing about this contract.

So Kiyaman I'm with you on this. I''m not saying that he isn't a talent, all I'm saying is, the Knicks just made another Allen Houston deal, because I doubt any other team was gonna offer him that much

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
The Suns offered him a max deal except with the last two years not guaranteed.

Amar'e is a great player and a hard worker. He's not the best defender but if you look at our options:

Bosh - hell no. Some people maintain Bosh is better than Amar'e - that's crap.

Bosh is SOFT, is more of an injury risk (Amar'e had microfracture surgery in the past, but he's played 3 great seasons since then and the eye injury was a FLUKE that could happen to ANYONE, whereas Bosh misses 10-11 games EVERY YEAR because of nagging injuries), and I'd rather get a player who WANTS to play for us.

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
Bosh is a soft faggit, im glad we aint get that clown...This is the fukkin New York Knicks, not the Utah Knicks. Amare goes hard on offense (no homo)

metrocard

Legend
Im thankful it wasnt a 6 or 7 year deal

kiyaman delivering with another powerful thread :cool: :smokin:

Kiyaman is a beast with the threads. He's a legend.

Kiyaman, did you know Amare was compared to Ben Wallace coming out of High School? He has alot of defensive potential...its just a matter of him trying.

Kiyaman

Legend
My guess is this is how the "numbers discussion" went:

Walsh: So Amare, let's discuss numbers.
Amare: I want the MAX.
Walsh: Can you please take less?
Amare: No.
Walsh: Pretty please?
Amare: Uh, no.
Walsh: Fine, we'll go sign someone else.
Amare: Who?
Walsh: Bosh.
Amare: He's headed to Miami.
Walsh: Boozer.
Amare: I'm better than him and you know it.
Walsh: Dirk.
Amare: Yeah right.
Walsh: Scola.
Amare: You're dumb.
Walsh: We don't want you that bad.
Amare: Yeah you do. Especially Mike over there.
D'Antoni: It's true.
Walsh: Fine. Fine. We'll give you the MAX. Just please don't get hurt.
Amare: No problem.
Walsh: Can you also try to work on your D?
Amare: Eh. I'll just try and score more.
D'Antoni: Works for me!

(Amare leaves the room to give the news to his family. Dolan walks in)

Walsh: Good news boss, we signed a MAX FA.
Dolan: Sweet. Lebron said yes?
Walsh: No. Not him.
Dolan: Bosh? Wade?
Walsh: No and no.
Dolan: Then who?
Walsh: Amare!
Dolan: You're fired.
Walsh: Wait, he might help us get Lebron.
Dolan: Oh. Ok. Well let me know when that happens.

metrocard

Legend
My guess is this is how the "numbers discussion" went:

Walsh: So Amare, let's discuss numbers.
Amare: I want the MAX.
Walsh: Can you please take less?
Amare: No.
Walsh: Pretty please?
Amare: Uh, no.
Walsh: Fine, we'll go sign someone else.
Amare: Who?
Walsh: Bosh.
Amare: He's headed to Miami.
Walsh: Boozer.
Amare: I'm better than him and you know it.
Walsh: Dirk.
Amare: Yeah right.
Walsh: Scola.
Amare: You're dumb.
Walsh: We don't want you that bad.
Amare: Yeah you do. Especially Mike over there.
D'Antoni: It's true.
Walsh: Fine. Fine. We'll give you the MAX. Just please don't get hurt.
Amare: No problem.
Walsh: Can you also try to work on your D?
Amare: Eh. I'll just try and score more.
D'Antoni: Works for me!

(Amare leaves the room to give the news to his family. Dolan walks in)

Walsh: Good news boss, we signed a MAX FA.
Dolan: Sweet. Lebron said yes?
Walsh: No. Not him.
Dolan: Bosh? Wade?
Walsh: No and no.
Dolan: Then who?
Walsh: Amare!
Dolan: You're fired.
Walsh: Wait, he might help us get Lebron.
Dolan: Oh. Ok. Well let me know when that happens.

Amare is better than Bosh though...and Wade can be injury prone also.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Amare is way better than Bosh.

Bosh is probably more injury prone than Amar'e is. Amar'e has had two major injuries in his career - the microfracture and the eye. The eye was a fluke and could've happened to anyone, and the microfracture was 3 years ago and he hasn't shown a sign of slowing down.

Bosh on the other hand misses like 9 games a year. Only a matter of time before 9 games turns into 39